• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australia pushes for weaker encryption at 'Five Eyes' meeting

Nokterian

"The use by terrorists of cyberspace is an issue of critical concern to intelligence and law enforcement agencies," said Brandis in a statement ahead of the conference.

How stupid are these people? Well stupid is not a good word, but i can say terrorist have won but also criminals and hackers will have more privacy.

Dumping down on encryption is incredible dumb and it doesn't work...when this happens everything will be hackable,abused and most of all more open for things like terrorism. We have seen Wannacry and the hackers used NSA Tools to abuse it. When information is in the open it can and it will be abused.

I am sad how western goverments want to crack down on encryption, but they forget we all use it to do our banking,medical records being on the internet.

We need stronger encryption not make it weaker because the lame excuse of 'terrorist' is tiresome and pathetic to use.

More at the link

https://www.cnet.com/news/australia...ncryption-national-security-five-eyes-summit/

Crack if me old.

Not

Banned
They just don't like the fact that the common folk can keep things from them. That's all it's ever been.

Tovarisc

Weakening encryptions and putting in backdoors is really good way to get more crime and terrorism. Not less.

Morons.

MarionCB

Brandis is a national embarrassment :(

God yes. The man is a fool, but also a terrible human being and unfit for his job. This is only yet another example of all this. One of the truly nasty ones that somehow always thrive.

Jonnax

I think what they're thinking is the model China uses for VPNs.

If you're an ordinary citizen you're not allowed to use it. But if you're a business you can apply for permission to use one and get it registered with the government.

With all the hacking stories it's getting stupider. But back in the 90s the USA prevented the export of high strength crypto. That's why web browsers were limited to 56bit encryption.

StayDead

Most of this shit will be arranged in person anyway, why do they think it's so hard to follow/find out?

I bet the Governments will all be fine to still use encryption, but no fuck normal peoples privacy. It's the same as what May wants to do in the UK.

Top Bottom