• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TCL P607 P Series ( the new mid range/budget 4k/HDR recommendation)

Rtings posted their review today

The TCL P607 p series is a very good HDR TV with better than average picture quality thanks to its deep blacks. It has local dimming to enhance its contrast, and it is packed with HDR features such as a large color volume and high brightness. It also has low motion blur and input lag, making it a versatile choice suitable for sports and video games as well. Unfortunately though, its picture quality degrades very rapidly when viewed from an angle, and the overall picture uniformity could be better.

Outstanding low input lag, which should please nearly any gamer. All picture modes have the same low input lag when the 'Game Mode' setting is on, and all modes show 4:4:4 color properly. This is a massive improvement over other TCL TVs like the S305, where the 'Game Mode' setting doesn't improve the input lag.

uDsZETU.png

dvJodYV.png

also confirmed that p605 and p607 are the same TVs with different remotes

Best Buy has the 55 inch currently for $599.99

Seems like a great contender to be the default recommendation for those asking about an affordable 4k HDR TV for console gaming.

mebizzle

Amazon shipping 2 to 3 months lol

I eally want this TV though, I'm not super picky and I've had a pretty cheap TCL tv that's served me really well for a couple of years.

I have a different TCL. Decent enough TV, but the wifi device got super wonky after about a year and even when it worked, the version of apps that work on TCL are like the worst version of that app anywhere (other than maybe Xbox One) and missing a lot of functions that you probably assumed were standard because you've seen them on the iPhone, Android, browser, console, etc versions and just thought that meant ALL versions had it.

I would have been upset if I was really reliant on the "Smart" part of the TV. I wasn't though. As a pure monitor with built in speakers, I've no complaints with the one I have.

GreekWolf

Thanks for linking the review, I've been waiting for it to go up all weekend. lol

Here was the final verdict -
The TCL P607 is a great TV that offers excellent value for money. It's a good performer that competes with TVs often priced significantly higher.

Amazon shipping 2 to 3 months lol

I eally want this TV though, I'm not super picky and I've had a pretty cheap TCL tv that's served me really well for a couple of years.

Check Best Buy's website. They sell the same tv, just comes with a different remote (doesn't have the headphone jack built in). I ordered mine on a Saturday and it was delivered Tuesday afternoon.

xJavonta

Banned
I want the 50" since this is going in a bedroom and 55" is just crazy

i really want a 43", but paying an extra $100 (sony) for a smaller screen seems like a stupid idea.

Is there a difference between the P607 and the P605 aside from the remote? From what I can tell, Best Buy has the P605s in stock at $599 but the remote doesn't have an audio jack. Everything else seems the same.

May be worth checking out if anyone's looking: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-...c-range-roku-tv-black/5878705.p?skuId=5878705

No. Other than that they are essentially the same. From TCL's Twitter:

"The main difference is that the P607 features the enhanced remote and the P605 does not."

https://twitter.com/TCL_USA/status/878296542502764544

Trago

Not bad, viewing angles are a concern for me though. My TV stand is pretty high up. Hope this wouldn't be a problem when viewing at a lower angle.

Someone mentioned in the other thread that this set is a panel lottery though. So be aware that you might have to exchange it to get a proper set. Sounds unbelievable for the price point though.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
This site is doing a great job maintaining stats that I care about. Having 120 FPS input support listed in the resolution specs, and using a BlurBusters-style chase camera setup to do their motion blur tests... good stuff.

Edit: updated to use the right capture for this display.
You can see how the 120 Hz PWM is creating the image doubling effect.

zelas

Not bad, viewing angles are a concern for me though. My TV stand is pretty high up. Hope this wouldn't be a problem when viewing at a lower angle.
Yeah the viewing angle seems like it could be a non issue or a deal breaker depending on the situation.

What about PC gaming? Notice it doesn't have a high rating as a monitor.

Here

Decent PC monitor. The P607 supports chroma 4:4:4 for clear text, and it has both low motion blur and input lag which keeps it responsive. Unfortunately though, the uniformity issues can be annoying when used as a monitor, and the narrow viewing angles will be problematic when used from up close.

Good review but is it wrong that I'm weary of brand reliability? Consumer reports puts TCL at 7% failure rate in 3 years while Samsung/LG are 5% and Sony is 4%. Friend is on the fence between this at $600 at best buy or the Samsung 55MU7000 at Fry's for $700.

I want the 50" since this is going in a bedroom and 55" is just crazy

i really want a 43", but paying an extra $100 (sony) for a smaller screen seems like a stupid idea.

My bedroom is small as all hell and I have a 55" B6 in there. It's really not that crazy. I would have went 65", but it would have started overlapping the windows on each side of the set... shrug

I own this tv. Very pleased with it for the money. Wish it had some options for motion. My remote is completely dead so working to get that replaced.

ghibli99

Good review but is it wrong that I'm weary of brand reliability? Consumer reports puts TCL at 7% failure rate in 3 years while Samsung/LG are 5% and Sony is 4%. Friend is on the fence between this at $600 at best buy or the Samsung 55MU7000 at Fry's for $700.
Not wrong at all to be weary. I refuse to buy Samsung since I had three device failures in as many years, even though I know their stuff is popular. LG has been consistent for me, as has Sony when it comes to TVs.

TimeKillr

This site is doing a great job maintaining stats that I care about. Having 120 FPS input support listed in the resolution specs, and using a BlurBusters-style chase camera setup to do their motion blur tests... good stuff.

Edit: updated to use the right capture for this display.
You can see how the 120 Hz PWM is creating the image doubling effect.

I have a friend who works as a reviewer for the site. They really are incredibly specialized and do an amazing job.

I wanted to bug him so I could bring my Vizio to his office so I could calibrate it with their equipment but I don't want to get him in trouble.

jchung55

Gray uniformity could be a concern. The other depends on how close "close" is. Using it as an HTPC.

Could be a mute point if it doesn't get good availability in Canada. I don't see it anywhere, ATM.

I asked on Twitter and they said they have no plans as of now to bring it Canada. Do you have any ideas how we can get it? Import perhaps?

I mean the thing is, if he buys it at the store and has a problem he can bring it back. Its over $100 cheaper and provides a better tv for HDR gaming and Movies.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Well damn... that checks all the boxes. HDR10, Dolby Vision, local dimming and VERY low input lag. Sounds like a great gaming TV for X1X/Pro.

Yeah the viewing angle seems like it could be a non issue or a deal breaker depending on the situation.

You really do have to be dead center to get a good experience with these types of panels. I don't mind them personally, though (using one on my Vizio).

Decado

I asked on Twitter and they said they have no plans as of now to bring it Canada. Do you have any ideas how we can get it? Import perhaps?
I'm guessing import would be the only way. I looked at that option for TVs into henpast but it seems like such a hassle. Only a couple places ship to Canada. It can be worth it unless you have to return the tv for any reason.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
4:4:4 is whats required to make the tv display text from PCs properly, right?

jchung55

I'm guessing import would be the only way. I looked at that option for TVs into henpast but it seems like such a hassle. Only a couple places ship to Canada. It can be worth it unless you have to return the tv for any reason.

Any idea on how to start? I've never imported anything before. I'm 90 minutes from the border so maybe I can drive to Buffalo and pick one up?

Decado

Any idea on how to start? I've never imported anything before. I'm 90 minutes from the border so maybe I can drive to Buffalo and pick one up?
You can buy one at any retailer in that case. Not sure what the boarder fees are like.

The most common website I see thrown around for electronics imports is B&H Photo Video. Seems like they get some nice sales, too. No personal experience, though.

Not wrong at all to be weary. I refuse to buy Samsung since I had three device failures in as many years, even though I know their stuff is popular. LG has been consistent for me, as has Sony when it comes to TVs.

Same here. My first 4k set was one of the first Samsungs released. Had to have the board in it replaced 2-3 times because it would randomly drop either the video or sound signal and you'd have turn it off and back on to get it working again. They never fixed the damn issue either. All of the Samsung phones I've owned have had shit build quality also. LG or bust for me right now as far as sets go. Especially with the pricing of the Sony and Panny OLEDs.

Amneisac

Gray uniformity could be a concern. The other depends on how close "close" is. Using it as an HTPC.

Could be a mute point if it doesn't get good availability in Canada. I don't see it anywhere, ATM.

Moot point*

I have this TV and I'm really happy with it. It looks great and our room is relatively long and narrow, so it works well in the space. It's a great value for $600.

It also has some really cool ARC support, carrying 5.1 and even Atmos over HDMI.

Moot point*

I have this TV and I'm really happy with it. It looks great and our room is relatively long and narrow, so it works well in the space. It's a great value for $600.

It also has some really cool ARC support, carrying 5.1 and even Atmos over HDMI.

Yeah, I'm not sure what people are expecting at $600. My friend picked one of these up and there is just no comparison in the price range. If I didn't already have my B6 I'd honestly just grab one of these and ride it until the 2019 OLEDS are released. $600 is nothing for this set.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Brightness looks low for HDR but based on the review it's very good for the cost. I like my KS8500 but if this existed before I would probably have considered it.

This tv has me pretty damn excited. Been rocking a 40" 1080p Vizio for a long time and figured i'd finally upgrade this year for ps4 pro / 1x. The value seems to be insane and while not the best 4k tv, it's certainly going to be a MASSIVE upgrade for me and at little cost, really... So cool

Top Bottom