• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS data-mined: 20 fighter codenames found! Also, Nintendo says an update is soon.

I hope Biff is teasing some new character. Would be great to have a new fighter next month. OR a new fighter and some kind of story mode where we would learn more about the lore ! This game is a really really nice surprise personnaly. When did they begun to tease Lola Pop ?

Oh and aldo, I don't know if I missed it here but based on Reddit, there are much more up-to-date news about the data-mined (I copy paste from shinyquagsire23 Reddit user :)

"For what it's worth, these are the names they're actually serious about which persisted into 1.1:

Coil
Shaman
Tarzan
Lady
Sweet

Coil got some work between 1.1 and 2.0 as well. As of 2.0 Sweet was the only character which seemed to be fully 'officially' implemented"

I hope Biff is teasing some new character. Would be great to have a new fighter next month. OR a new fighter and some kind of story mode where we would learn more about the lore ! This game is a really really nice surprise personnaly. When did they begun to tease Lola Pop ?

Oh and aldo, I don't know if I missed it here but based on Reddit, there are much more up-to-date news about the data-mined (I copy paste from shinyquagsire23 Reddit user :)

"For what it's worth, these are the names they're actually serious about which persisted into 1.1:

Coil
Shaman
Tarzan
Lady
Sweet

Coil got some work between 1.1 and 2.0 as well. As of 2.0 Sweet was the only character which seemed to be fully 'officially' implemented"

Ah yes, these code names. Frankly, I had forgotten them since we never heard more from that particular user. Were I to hazard a guess, Shaman is Scroll, Tarzan is Plant, and I haven't the foggiest who Lady could be. Sweet is obviously Lola Pop.

I actually hope to be wrong, a Tarzan for Plant would be somewhat disappointing compared to a Plant monster!

Zubz

Banned
Ah yes, these code names. Frankly, I had forgotten them since we never heard more from that particular user. Were I to hazard a guess, Shaman is Scroll, Tarzan is Plant, and I haven't the foggiest who Lady could be. Sweet is obviously Lola Pop.

I actually hope to be wrong, a Tarzan for Plant would be somewhat disappointing compared to a Plant monster!

I hope so, too. It looks like maybe the DLC for this game may not last as long as expected, then? I'm getting the impression they're not really contemplating far past the other names, & might save those for a sequel.

THIS IS NOT A DRILL, LADIES AND GENTS OF THE ARMS SPECULATION LAB

IMG_2243.png

IMG_2244.png

IMG_2245.png

Folks, we have our Robo.

Isn't it likely this is Coil as well?

Possibly. If his name contains "Coil" or another robotic character shows up, then that seems to be the case. I'm certain that my personal theory on Coil's identity is well known, but you are absolutely correct in that this could be Coil.

I have a theory on this robot's story. His home stage seems to be the Sparring Ring, so I wonder if he's a training bot that went rogue? Likely built by ARMS Labs and possibly even the elusive Dr. C personally...

Neiteio

While this "Mecha Spring Man" is 99% likely a new character... I think there's at least a small chance he's not a playable character but rather a gimmick character that you deal with in a new mode.

Most likely a new character, though. Also, is the music in the trailer new, or is it the music from the Sparring Ring? Haven't jumped back into ARMS to try the new stage yet.

While this "Mecha Spring Man" is 99% likely a new character... I think there's at least a small chance he's not a playable character but rather a gimmick character that you deal with in a new mode.

Most likely a new character, though. Also, is the music in the trailer new, or is it the music from the Sparring Ring? Haven't jumped back into ARMS to try the new stage yet.

I kind of hope that's not the case, personally.

And this trailer uses Sparring Ring's theme, yes. That's mainly why I believe it is Metal Spring's home stage.

IMG_2247.png

...have we seen this icon before? I can trace practically every other badge's icon to something we've seen, but this bear...

...Surprise...?

...some sort of teddy bear / mascot...?

Never mind, mystery solved; it's the logo of the company that manufactures the Bubb!

However, ladies and gents, I've finally found concrete evidence that Metal Spring is a new fighter, not a skin nor a Hedlok-style boss:

IMG_2248.jpg

Notice that the fans wear a different hat for Metal Spring. This, to me, confirms that MS will be completely separate from Spring Man.

So, Biff showed off a gif of the Badge menu today. However, notice that he teases something else as well...

afpzpm0ca4rz.jpg

Notice the camera icon? Could ARMS be getting a proper replay system?

I must give credit to the folks at the ARMS Subreddit for pointing this out!

Sandfox

So, Biff showed off a gif of the Badge menu today. However, notice that he teases something else as well...

afpzpm0ca4rz.jpg

It says "replay" under the icon so it seems so.

Doorman

[beep]

The icon is literally titled "replay," so...yes. You can already watch replays from stuff in the local modes post-match so there's apparently an ability to save replays to the system now? That would definitely help with strategy and match diagnosis at least.

Ugh, it's been way too long since I last actually played this.

It says "replay" under the icon so it seems so.

The icon is literally titled "replay," so...yes. You can already watch replays from stuff in the local modes post-match so there's apparently an ability to save replays to the system now? That would definitely help with strategy and match diagnosis at least.

Ugh, it's been way too long since I last actually played this.

Well, erm, my inability to read other languages shines through, it seems! Either way, a very nice feature to have!

Neiteio

Oh nice! Replay Modes are an underrated feature. I'd love to be able to save exciting matches, or download matches by other people. It's good for taking screenshots, too!

Oh nice! Replay Modes are an underrated feature. I'd love to be able to save exciting matches, or download matches by other people. It's good for taking screenshots, too!

One thing in particular I like about ARMS' replays is the slow motion option; it's amazing to see the character animations that normally go by too fast to see clearly! Things like Byte's jaw dropping when he loses by timeout, Max Brass's shocked face when he's knocked out, that sort of thing!

Zubz

Banned
Who knows; the whims of Nintendo are incomprehensible to mortal minds. We'll simply have to wait and see if ARMS Events ever actually pan out.

At this point, it may be a feature they're saving for a sequel. Because if we're not seeing events 4 months out from launch, I'm doubting we'll see them later. Especially now that they're no longer a menu option.

mas8705

Out of the leaked names list, it does seem like it could go either way in regards to the code name for this "Spring Man" copycat.

On one hand, you could argue that its ARMS does look more like a coil in comparison to Spring Man's Spring ARMS. On the other, it does look more robotic and looks like a more refined when compared to Byte. Definitely would be nice to see if we get some info about this in the future, but I guess that won't be until later this month if we use the pattern of when the games get patched.

The other thing I'm interested in finding out is the badges themselves and what they might provide. Whose to say if those badges could just be icons of our fighters, possible sponsors of ARMS in their world, or possibly could drop hints for any future DLC characters.

A fun thought, but not really much to work with if we are using the trailer as a reference point.

Out of the leaked names list, it does seem like it could go either way in regards to the code name for this "Spring Man" copycat.

On one hand, you could argue that its ARMS does look more like a coil in comparison to Spring Man's Spring ARMS. On the other, it does look more robotic and looks like a more refined when compared to Byte. Definitely would be nice to see if we get some info about this in the future, but I guess that won't be until later this month if we use the pattern of when the games get patched.

The other thing I'm interested in finding out is the badges themselves and what they might provide. Whose to say if those badges could just be icons of our fighters, possible sponsors of ARMS in their world, or possibly could drop hints for any future DLC characters.

A fun thought, but not really much to work with if we are using the trailer as a reference point.

Perhaps we won't have to wait very long; the update is said to be coming Mid-October! In fact, according to the ARMS Subreddit, the precise Japanese term used refers to the middle third of the month, or the 11-20!

So, our old pal Biff has posted something rather interesting tonight...

A gif of Metal Spring in action!

Shall we fire up the old ARMS Speculation Lab, folks?

As we can see here, MS is going through 1v100 mode. The RNA Men assault him in the DNA Lab, and the combination of test tubes and a rapidly changing camera angle make it difficult to make out much.

He SEEMS to be using the Toasters, or perhaps a new variant of them. The ARMS are definitely Fire attribute, as we can see flames on them when he charges.

It seems he has some sort of Insta-Shield ability very reminiscent of the Sonic 3 maneuver. An aura of electrical power seems to surround him for a moment, deflecting punches near him. It also seems that this move charges his ARMS. He seems to hover in the air for a moment when he does this as well. It's unclear if he can move or if he's locked in place...

Possibly the most interesting thing we can see is his animation at the end, where his legs and neck seem to telescope outwards. It's almost reminiscent of Helix's win animation where he stretches upwards as though looking at his fallen foe...

Could this be his secondary ability? Or is it simply a win animation...?

For those unaware, the update is live!

It adds savable replays, Badges, and...

Springtron as an Akuma-style bonus boss. He can be faced in Grand Prix by remaining undefeated until Max Brass. It's unclear if this means don't lose a ROUND or if it only counts losing a MATCH. He's extremely difficult, and is currently not playable. He has an absolutely massive AOE shockwave that disables any ARMS in its range; this range is nearly half of Cinema Deux. He seems to have different stats from Spring Man as well; his speed and ARM Girth at the very least are different. He lacks a home stage and signature ARMS, as well as a unique theme. If he becomes playable, these may be added later. Something interesting I noticed when I attempted to beat him: the range on his shockwave move is much greater than it was in the ARMS Labs Gif we got earlier. Perhaps that's evidence that a more toned down Springtron will be playable...?

Having fought Springtron, I believe he could very easily converted to a playable fighter. Here are my observations thus far:

-He has two abilities: Spring Man and Max Brass's Deflect, and a new one, EMP.

-Unsure how it's triggered, but EMP creates a very large radius around Springtron; any ARMS entering this radius are disabled.

-He doesn't seem to be able to activate EMP very often? In one round he used it about 5-6 times.

-The range on the Boss version's EMP is absolutely absurd, covering nearly half of Cinema Deux. For him to be playable, it would absolutely require a dramatic drop in range. Perhaps a range similar to the fire/shock bomb items?

-Despite being metallic, he does NOT appear to have Super Armor. Further testing is necessary.

-Stat Changes: Air speed and ARM Girth seem to be higher than Spring Man. He also seems to have less Ground Speed; roughly on par with non-buff Max Brass. Unsure if his health is higher than Spring Man, but it seems likely for the Boss variant. For him to be playable, I think he'd work best with low health to create a glass cannon style character.

-He lacks signature ARMS; he uses Spring Man's loadout.

-He lacks a home stage; he's fought on whatever stage you fight the semifinal on.

-He has a unique intro screen like Hedlok's, but no battle theme.

-His animations are very similar, if not identical, to Spring Man's with the exception of EMP. He has unique sound clips.

Forkball

Badges are retroactive on some achievements but not others. It remembers that you beat Grand Prix for example, but not that you played Hoops. Some of the designs look pretty neat. I wish you could actually pin them on the character though. It would at least be fun to see on the character select and intro screen.

Badges are retroactive on some achievements but not others. It remembers that you beat Grand Prix for example, but not that you played Hoops. Some of the designs look pretty neat. I wish you could actually pin them on the character though. It would at least be fun to see on the character select and intro screen.

Yeah, I found that kind of odd...

weekev

Banned
For those unaware, the update is live!

It adds savable replays, Badges, and...

Springtron as an Akuma-style bonus boss. He can be faced in Grand Prix by remaining undefeated until Max Brass. It's unclear if this means don't lose a ROUND or if it only counts losing a MATCH. He's extremely difficult, and is currently not playable. He has an absolutely massive AOE shockwave that disables any ARMS in its range; this range is nearly half of Cinema Deux. He seems to have different stats from Spring Man as well; his speed and ARM Girth at the very least are different. He lacks a home stage and signature ARMS, as well as a unique theme. If he becomes playable, these may be added later. Something interesting I noticed when I attempted to beat him: the range on his shockwave move is much greater than it was in the ARMS Labs Gif we got earlier. Perhaps that's evidence that a more toned down Springtron will be playable...?
Bit disappointed he isn’t playable yet but sounds like fun nonetheless.

Neiteio

I could see them making Springtron (great name) playable at some point as a nice bonus, once the rest of the roster is complete. He'll feel like a more appropriate addition then. Although maybe they won't add him, at least not without changes, since his EMP ability sounds pretty OP and, well, boss-like.

I could see them making Springtron (great name) playable at some point as a nice bonus, once the rest of the roster is complete. He'll feel like a more appropriate addition then. Although maybe they won't add him, at least not without changes, since his EMP ability sounds pretty OP and, well, boss-like.

That could work; maybe add him alongside a more unique fighter?

I think EMP can be balanced by shrinking its range to that of the Shock/Fire Bomb item. That way it's not a simple denial of attack and requires timing. I'd also make it cost health or Rush gauge.

Top Bottom