• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #26 | goodbye white man blinking gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeku

I was disappointed that alex didn't answer with "reaper players".

HQzHEAP.jpg

Speaking of Jose Conseco, I'm curious as to how he's able to know so much about Dan things (the most recent being Dan's upcoming (and potential Taco Bell) marriage). I just checked his Twitter account and he doesn't follow Dan. So either, someone else is his Dan newsman or he follows Dan without following him (know what I mean?).

Speaking of Jose Conseco, I'm curious as to how he's able to know so much about Dan things (the most recent being Dan's upcoming (and potential Taco Bell) marriage). I just checked his Twitter account and he doesn't follow Dan. So either, someone else is his Dan newsman or he follows Dan without following him (know what I mean?).

maybe Consecos a dan fan

discreetly

I wonder what the meeting was like at the localisation team for that ""Hello" but in English" line.

Watched Digital Foundry's initial take on Horizon then a clip of Zelda. Goddamn is Zelda an ugly game.

Open world games always seem to be the genre that is the most Night and Day between console generations. Its a reminder that Zelda is basically being made for a console on par with the 360 by a team that has never made a game on that scale before.

Outside of that debut video, BOTW has always looked kinda flat and mute.

I'm hoping Zelda gets a lower Metacritic just for the internet-wide freak out. That Horizon thread will be nothing compared to Twitter.

If that happens, will the narrative from some people be that the Wii U was holding the game back and that Nintendo should've canceled that version?

Speaking of versions holding games back, I've been watching some of the pre-release videos for MLB The Show 17 and for the first time (in my opinion) it looks like a next-gen The Show game. I know each year they talk about how this is better than that from the previous years, but, man, it is like night and day with things this year, especially (and perhaps most importantly) the player models. Perhaps not coincidentally, this is the first time MLB The Show has shipped on just one console. 2006 it was out on PS2 and PSP, 2007-2011 it was out on PS3, PS2, and PSP, 2012 and 2013 it was on PS3 and Vita, 2014 and 2015 it was on PS4, PS3, and PSVita, 2016 it was out on PS4 and PS3, and, finally, 2017 it is just out on PS4. All focus on one console.

Lunar FC

I sometimes feel like you guys look forward to the schadenfreude moreso than the games. :p

Is "schadenfreude" the new "hyperbole"? Seeing that word being used everywhere on gaf recently.

I'd be down to see the gaf implosion if I wasn't paying 300 bucks to play that game.

Joeku

I sometimes feel like you guys look forward to the schadenfreude moreso than the games. :p

Depending on when the embargo is, you only have one before the other is in your hands.

Frankly, if Jeff is reviewing BotW (which he hinted at? I think?) and gives it less than a five after Horizon, it's gonna be an 8.8 blowup all over again.

Swapping between playing these is gonna be weird, too.

Open world games always seem to be the genre that is the most Night and Day between console generations. Its a reminder that Zelda is basically being made for a console on par with the 360 by a team that has never made a game on that scale before.

Outside of that debut video, BOTW has always looked kinda flat and mute.

To Zeldas credit, it appears many parts of the world are interactive with physics. It's something.

Lunar FC

Depending on when the embargo is, you only have one before the other is in your hands.

Frankly, if Jeff is reviewing BotW (which he hinted at? I think?) and gives it less than a five after Horizon, it's gonna be an 8.8 blowup all over again.

Swapping between playing these is gonna be weird, too.

I have to imagine Dan is reviewing it.

ST2K

I'm specifically not playing Horizon until I'm done with Zelda, just because I'm afraid the visual drop will be too jarring.

Though, real talk, Horizon and Zelda in the same week? That's just ridiculous.

oti

Banned
Maybe I'm just blind but Zelda looks great to me.
Horizon looks better though, obviously.

Parts of Zelda look amazing. Other parts look barren and bad. But that's just Nintendo. They'd rather not focus on making the trees look amazing and instead they have a guy who's sole job throughout the development was to program all the animals in the game.

I think it's great we get both. This technical marvel Horizon and hopefully this ganeplay marvel Zelda.

They very much have similar gameplay vibes so it will be interesting to see how reviews come out. If there's meaningful difference between the two that would be one thing, but if they are effectively the same and one does better than the other, that would be where the popcorn gets buttery. Zelda also has the added baggage of being "the" Switch launch title, so people will be bringing their A-game to defend it if there are any problems.

Regardless I bet this will go down for years to come.

oti

Banned
They very much have similar gameplay vibes so it will be interesting to see how reviews come out. If there's meaningful difference between the two that would be one thing, but if they are effectively the same and one does better than the other, that would be where the popcorn gets buttery. Zelda also has the added baggage of being "the" Switch launch title, so people will be bringing their A-game to defend it if there are any problems.

Regardless I bet this will go down for years to come.

Zelda seems more open to me. It's got survival elements, you can cook and you can climb every surface apparently. If those survival elements are good in the end, who knows. But I think they are different enough.

Not for me though. I'm postponing Horizon because no way in hell would I switch between two open world games like that. That sounds awful to me.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Copies haven't leaked and the embargo is march 2nd. Guess we won't find out until then.

Ah alright, I thought there was an early leaked impressions on the game being not great or something.

going back and listening to old episodes of danswers. what a great show

The early ones are the best because they cover every question that gets submitted on every danswers already.

Jintor

If I hadn't dropped my money on a switch I think the combo of nier, horizon and persona5 would have pushed me towards a ps4 by now.

Of course, I probably wouldn't finish any of those games before 2018

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Depends on what you want but the ps4 is defo the better but for now.

I say this as a ps4 owner who's getting the switch at launch.

Jintor

Oh yah I know that especially at anemic launch.

But the power of hype is strong, and there's enough caveats with the PS4 (already halfway through P5, nier on PC at some point, beast in the East sating me for now) that I don't feel too bad

hamchan

All the PS4 games coming out this quarter made passing on the Switch the easiest decision in the world.

Also it would definitely be hilarious to see the GAF reactions if Horizon coming out first made Zelda seem disappointing.

oti

Banned
Oh yah I know that especially at anemic launch.

But the power of hype is strong, and there's enough caveats with the PS4 (already halfway through P5, nier on PC at some point, beast in the East sating me for now) that I don't feel too bad

There should be some ridiculous PS4 Slim bundles this Holiday season to counter Scorpio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom