• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review thread

Baleoce

It truly only is essential due to the extreme lack of games.
Not only this but the games out aren't even exclusive titles really.

It is more or less re-reviewing a Wii u game with dlc this time

The first sentence is simply untrue. If you like Mario Kart, this game is an essential purchase. Whether you have purchased and played the original is a decision that's down to the individual. The game has to be assessed on its own independent merits.

Muzicfreq

Banned
I am Setsuna? Neo Geo ports? Shovel Knight? all neat games, none of them "essentials". Zelda and Mario Kart, very much so.

It's just that - seeing as the Switch is likely going to reach a (way) higher installbase than the Wii U - there'll be a great number of players who haven't had access to the original version, MK8 deluxe is an essential game to own.

Also, the Switch is not only the successor to the Wii U, but also in part to the 3DS (even though Nintendo's still too coy about that - but for me that is 100% the case, it's already my 'play in bed handheld' of choice), and if you look at the generational leap from Mario Kart 7 on the 3DS to MK8D on the Switch (just check the DF video), you'll understand just how essential this game is.
System needs to be in stock first for it to outsell but still has a road ahead of it to go. We'll get a better idea on how well it is doing by next year though.

Cartho

I do think there's a bit of a "GAF bubble" when it comes to criticising MK8D for not adding much really new for owners of the Wii U version. Sure, plenty of people on GAF own Wii Us. It was a popular system for the hardcore with a great collection of titles. However, outside of the "GAF bubble" very very few people, in the grand scheme of things, bought a Wii U. For those people, MK8D is going to be absolutely HUGE. It will sell systems in a pretty big way. I mean Pokemon Sun and Moon have, I believe, sold more copies than Nintendo sold Wii Us.

Forkball

this is my first ever mario kart :O

You are in for a treat. Sadly you will never experience Block Fort in its heyday.

Found this on Twitter:

C93wwvpUAAEyV0B.jpg

Some of them do have a point though.
It truly only is essential due to the extreme lack of games.
Not only this but the games out aren't even exclusive titles really.

It is more or less re-reviewing a Wii u game with dlc this time
It's not truly essential due to lack of games, Eurogamer doesn't review games like that.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe isn't just the Wii U game with the DLC, it improves the resolution to 1080p, resolves the frame rate issue, adds 8 new battle tracks and 4 different battle modes that weren't in the MK 8, adds 5 new characters, 3 new vehicles, 2 new item types, the ability to hold 2 items instead of just 1, a third stage of drift boost and a Smart Assist for new players.

MysteryM

Swore blind I wouldn't be buying this again, then saw a picture of one of the battle mode tracks on Eurogamer, and my pre order was placed.

Let me rephrase that...
Almost everything

"Almost everything" means the same thing as "damn near everything."

And it's not any more accurate. Yes, Zelda and Mario were both rated Essential by EG. That makes 2 out of the 7 Switch games that EG has reviewed so far.

Hell, "damn near nothing" is significantly more accurate than what you're trying to spin here.

Fliesen

You are in for a treat. Sadly you will never experience Block Fort in its heyday.

Found this on Twitter:

C93wwvpUAAEyV0B.jpg

That's an average of almost 13 hours a session.
MK8 was released 1,058 days ago. - 9999 hours is 416 days.
So that's spending literally almost half of your days (including sleep) playing Mario kart 8.

so thereby fake, i guess?

Bluth54

So if the perfect Mario Kart does get DLC, what happens then?

Is that dangerous?

A new DLC half a dozen new characters (including non Mario/Donkey Kong characters), 8 new tracks (some based on other Nintendo IPs), 8 retro tracks and 4 or so new battle arenas (including block fort) please. I'll even let you charge a couple of bucks extra for it Nintendo since you're including some extra battle arenas.

Forkball

So that's spending literally almost half of your days (including sleep) playing Mario kart 8.

Maybe he just left it on? Something you can now do with the Switch's sleep mode INFINITE MARIO KART FOREVER

So if the perfect Mario Kart does get DLC, what happens then?

Is that dangerous?

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DELUXE for Switch 2.

I doubt there will be any DLC for this though. You'd think they would want to save a lot for Mario Kart 9.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
If they do it at the price scheme as the last one, it'll be perfecter.

A new DLC half a dozen new characters (including non Mario/Donkey Kong characters), 8 new tracks (some based on other Nintendo IPs), 8 retro tracks and 4 or so new battle arenas (including block fort) please. I'll even let you charge a couple of bucks extra for it Nintendo since you're including some extra battle arenas.

As long as it doesn't rip a hole in time and space we're good to go then.

J@hranimo

Banned
How would Block Fort translate to 12-player battles? Has anyone given any real thought about how it would be done with all 5 modes MK8D has to offer?

Seik

Banned
"Switch has no games, of course this one is essential!"

*Gets proven wrong*

"Well you can't buy the system anywhere because it's sold out."

What will be the third wheel once the system will be easy to find? 😂

Piano

Banned
Do any of the reviews mention if the increase to two items messes with the game balance? I quite appreciated that MK8 races weren't overflowing with items after the intolerable chaos of MKWii. Worried that increasing to 2 items per racer will make it awful again.

Just gonna follow up my own post to say that unfortunately a couple of reviews do mention that it's more chaotic now and there are more blue shells. I guess there's a higher chance of getting a super horn, too, but I enjoyed the lower item frequency of MK8.

Shame that they changed it. Sort of cancels out most of the other improvements.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
How would Block Fort translate to 12-player battles? Has anyone given any real thought about how it would be done with all 5 modes MK8D has to offer?

Umm there's like 3 layers to block fort you could very easily do it just make the individual forts a bit larger.

joker3782

Neo Member
My main hope is that we get the same DLC support as we did with the original release of MK8 with it priced the same way (which was a bargain), but with the addition of 2-4 battle tracks per DLC pack. So by the end I want the game to have 64 race tracks (which sounds awesome) and 12-16 battle tracks.

Just some wishful thinking.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Guess my point is more or less that with the lack of titles for the system damn near everything has to be essential.
Didn't know tlou wound up on there but then again I don't tend to follow re-reviews for games already deemed great and goty

What on Earth are you on about? A game that scores a 94 on Metacritic would be essential for any system. Hell if it was PS4 it would be the highest scoring game of the year maybe even two years. There's like litterally nothing to your argument.

Would love this game, but gotta wait and see if there's a good amount of SEA/JP switch players to make it worthwhile.

Some console multiplayer games are DOA in Asia :(

Shahadan

Would love this game, but gotta wait and see if there's a good amount of SEA/JP switch players to make it worthwhile.

Some console multiplayer games are DOA in Asia :(

Just play in worldwide mode ?
On WiiU I kept being matched with japanese players so I think it'll be fine either way

JPS Kai

I'm happy that MK8's getting such glowing reviews but there isn't anything new that's going to pull me back in.

I just don't find that kind of racing game very appealing. :(

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Eurogamer and reviewers in general don't rate games on a "is there anything else to play on the system or not" basis. If they rate MK8D as essential, that means they think it's an essential game to play, regardless of the system it's on or the size of that system's games library. End of story.

StayDead

Could just leave the Wii U on for the same result I guess.

I think that if a game sells more than a million (something that will easily happen here) it's probably an essential purchase.
Also, being a damn good Mario Kart helps a lot.

Very happy with the reviews of this game. I havent bought the console version of a Mario kart game since 64 and my parents got me that for my birthday. I did own the GBA, DS and 3DS versions however. This will be my first console MK game since 1997.

Jacce

Banned
System needs to be in stock first for it to outsell but still has a road ahead of it to go. We'll get a better idea on how well it is doing by next year though.

It isn't like they are producing low stock. They are selling as many as they can make, and they are shipping quite a lot. It's selling incredibly well.

TheFuzz

Are you being serious? It's nearly gotten a third of the Wii U install base in 6 weeks.

It'll be at 8mil by next year, we don't see need to wait until then to see if it will outsell the Wii U.

Some of the people here are delusional. It has two must-haves within 8 weeks of launch and more games coming every week. The thing is going to be a success.

PSFan

You might be ruined on future MK titles because 8 was already the best one in existence and Deluxe seems to somehow make it even better

Not for me. Unlocking everything was the major fun point of any MK for me. But in MK8D, everything is unlocked already. So no point in me buying it at all.

Just paid off my preorder. After 70hrs of online for Wii U, I cannot wait for some online battle mode. This will probably end up being my most played game on the Switch.

Top Bottom