• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Resident Evil 7 (Spoilers)

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
So I'm finally playing RE7 on my PS4 Pro with a PSVR. It's gorgeous, terrifying, fascinating and now absolutely, totally frustrating.

What in living FUCK is this Jack boss fight with with the chainsaw. Just who in the universe thought this was a good idea. Terrible clipping for the boss attacks that hit through the biller, Capcom's invisible preposterous grab range and high-damage unblockables, ultra-fast speed 'walking' from the boss to track right behind you, ridiculous damage via simple things like knees and headbutts, insta-kill attacks and other assorted bullshit. I basically have no health I can use plus other than the one in the arena plus it takes like 3 fucking minutes to reload the game each time you die. Am I screwed? Do I need to start the game over? I think I used too much stuff in the garage. It is just inexplicably, inexcusably godawful. And I so want to love this game. Everything up till then has been pretty much fantastic (except maybe trying to stab/headshot the fucking endless stream of black goo monsters).

Does it get better? And by better I mean more manageable? Is there more bullshit like the Jack fight I'm going to have to endure? Is it because I'm playing on PSVR?

Speak to me guys!

Bramble

Think I beat him first or second try. Don't really remember it. Maybe turn the difficulty down if possible?

Neff

You basically just hold both shoulder buttons for that entire fight except for when you need to restart the chainsaw.

GC_DALBEN

I liked this fight but it is indeed a little clunky, and i didnt play in VR, o died a few times. I think you can do it, you just need to memorize all his attacks.

Rhysser

Banned
Block is OP in RE7. You can get hit a billion times even in red condition and not die. I also think if you don't get hit for a while (or save) you recover some health. You still stay in red, but you can take more hits while blocking, so you seem to get some health back.

I mostly went around in constant dying / red holding block and everything was pretty easy.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I beat him. Took me a while for me to perfect his patterns. I think it was a combination of the long load times and the fact I only had a few resources because I'd been a little too lax earlier on. Still I hated the fight. Really soured me on the game at that point.

HOWEVER it's been smooth sailing since then. Up to fighting spider lady. WOW, what an experience in VR. Really feels like a first person return to the roots of the original RE. Even had it's own dog jumping through the glass moment with the bugs. Got to say I'm loving it.

MultiCore

That fight took me a few tries. If you're having particular difficulty, consult a guide.

The rest of the fights are pretty straightforward combat, but there are still a few BS grabs ahead of you.

I thought it was well worth it. Played on PSVR as well.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
That fight took me a few tries. If you're having particular difficulty, consult a guide.

The rest of the fights are pretty straightforward combat, but there are still a few BS grabs ahead of you.

I thought it was well worth it. Played on PSVR as well.

Yeah I'm one of those weird OCD prideful gamers that would rather give up than consult a guide. I'm not old you're old dammit!

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
This fight is weird because if you just press the fire button on the chainsaw like a normal FPS shooter then all you do is kind of jab/tickle Jack with it. Hold both shoulder buttons and you can actually chainsaw his ass. The game seems to suggest that this is only possible when his innards pop out but you can rip into him right from the get-go.

Might be the VR. I don't remember this fight being too hard on normal mode. On Madhouse, everything was hard because of the conservation of ammo and health.

I know you're done with it already, but my two cents are that this fight wasn't even actually difficult but rather just confusing and weirdly/badly executed.

I've always really hated boss fights like this that randomly introduce a new mechanic and you basically either beat it not being entirely sure how/what you did to succeed, or die to the new and confusing mechanic until you bang your head against it often enough to finally figure it out. Both options are a really bizarre way to approach a boss fight.

To me, a boss fight should be a test of skill for your accumulated experience with the game's systems, or maybe a gimmick introduced in the current level. Something along those lines, not drop you in a OHKO scenario with a new mechanic to figure out.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I know you're done with it already, but my two cents are that this fight wasn't even actually difficult but rather just confusing and weirdly/badly executed.

I've always really hated boss fights like this that randomly introduce a new mechanic and you basically either beat it not being entirely sure how/what you did to succeed, or die to the new and confusing mechanic until you bang your head against it often enough to finally figure it out. Both options are a really bizarre way to approach a boss fight.

To me, a boss fight should be a test of skill for your accumulated experience with the game's systems, or maybe a gimmick introduced in the current level. Something along those lines, not drop you in a OHKO scenario with a new mechanic to figure out.

Exactly. I guess it's the try, die, repeat until you figure out what the hell is going on approach I disapprove of, coupled with the *really* long load times.

Anyway I took him down and just got through the Marguerite spider boss fight which I actually really enjoyed. That fight actually made sense.

dcx4610

It wasn’t an easy fight and didn’t really feel like there was any indication that you were hurting him. That said, it was intense and I enjoyed it. Yes, there is more BS to come but I would stick with it. Definitely one of my games of the year.

The fight is in that nebulous realm where the first few times you try it, you're not even sure if it's one of those "do I unload on him or not? Am I supposed to legit beat him or will this trigger a cutscene after I run away long enough? bla bla" moments.

It only took me three tries total I think but I honestly wasn't sure what I even did particularly differently at first. It was still kind of fun, but Capcom has definitely sometimes confused obnoxious and and annoying for Horror in the series.

Top Bottom