• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

I don't think its as obvious as they make it seem while watching the movie, but afterword there are very few conclusions you can come too for certain. A lot of the allegories don't work a whole lot either.

Completely agree with their thoughts on mother!

The symbolism being really obvious soured the movie for me. I fully caught on when the two sons ended up coming to the house, and it made the rest of the movie really predictable (when the baby came up I was like: it's going to die because it's Jesus).

That U.S. marketing for Mother! is just ridiculously...American? The UK trailers are way more subdued.

Perhaps it's just a characteristic example of the gulf between U.S. vs Euro distribution and marketing.

Fox318

tumblr_mjkivjnxJL1rvnnvyo5_r1_250.gif

Completely agree with their thoughts on mother!

The symbolism being really obvious soured the movie for me. I fully caught on when the two sons ended up coming to the house, and it made the rest of the movie really predictable (when the baby came up I was like: it's going to die because it's Jesus).
Why is it a flaw if the symbolism isn't subtle? Idk, I feel like it's a fine line and wholly depends on what the work is intending. If something is trying to be subtle and fails, so it's obvious, then it's a flaw in its narrative design. But the assumption seems to be that symbolism has to be inherently subtle.

Works like Animal Farm and Lord of the Flies are very on-the-nose and unsubtle with their satire and symbolism, as are many (most?) fables and parables

JABEE

Why is it a flaw if the symbolism isn't subtle? Idk, I feel like it's a fine line and wholly depends on what the work is intending. If something is trying to be subtle and fails, so it's obvious, then it's a flaw in its narrative design. But the assumption seems to be that symbolism has to be inherently subtle.

Works like Animal Farm and Lord of the Flies are very on-the-nose and unsubtle with their satire and symbolism, as are many (most?) fables and parables

Animal Farm is a clever historical allegory of a real event.

I haven't seen Mother!, but RLM seem to think it's just a scattershot of biblical references without much focus. Like a highlights edition of the Bible. Without much purposes for why the pieces are coming together.

The stories of the Bible are separate fables from different books with disconnected themes. They are not one work or history. So picking bits and pieces of individual stories doesn't work like Animal Farm.

Animal Farm has more in common with West Side Story in terms of adaptation than what RLM is saying Mother! is about. Skipping around centuries of biblical stories written by different authors with completely different historical perspectives to make a point about the destruction of innocence and the environment.

kevin1025

Banned
I don't think the allegories or the metaphors were meant to be hidden. With the way the movie plays with time, and the Bible connections being fairly specific before the movie goes haywire, I don't see the lack of subtlety as a bad thing since the movie is moving from one connection to another with ease.

But I can definitely see their complaints, at the same time. It's one of those rare movies that even though I loved it, I can see why someone else can dislike the same things I liked.

Fat4all

Banned
If someone never had any frame of reference to Stalinism, you could still see directly what the art was criticizing about it in Animal Farm. I don't think that works quite as well with Mother!, but the Bible is the most popular book in the world so who knows.

Kinda just felt like a different way of telling the story of the Bible, but in a very simplified way. I was hoping for a bit more narrative-wise going in.

edit: I really liked the framing and cinematography of the movie overall, I feel like Aronofsky does a great job of matching them with the tones of each of his films.

Rockk

Max Landis tweeted out that he is visiting some friends in Milwaukee. So it might finally be time for the Breen. He also jokingly (?) invited Jenny Nicolson who I only vaguely know as another youtuber reviewer. It's been 2 years since the moment that changed all our lives so it should be fun.

Max Landis tweeted out that he is visiting some friends in Milwaukee. So it might finally be time for the Breen. He also jokingly (?) invited Jenny Nicolson who I only vaguely know as another youtuber reviewer. It's been 2 years since the moment that changed all our lives so it should be fun.
He's grown on me in the sense that his dynamic is unique with the gang. It made them so uncomfortable when someone is so straightforward and friendly lol.

jett

D-Member

Hadn't he already visited these dudes a few months ago. What happened to that. Or was I imagining it.

kevin1025

Banned
Hadn't he already visited these dudes a few months ago. What happened to that. Or was I imagining it.

I think he was there near the start of the year maybe? Somewhere around there. Guess it was just a visit. I'm surprised he's popping up now since he sounded pretty deep into Dirk Gently production fairly recently.

I think they 'lost' whatever they recorded that day.

As for some speculation why he's returning now: it might be slightly related to the upcoming release of Bright as a Netflix movie, since he did write that, got a big-ass payday for it, and it's an "original idea" (IP would be more accurate, but he used those terms, so...). It's going to be a good way to test whether his comments were accurate, or whether those are issues compounded and mostly locked into the studio system. I am legitimately interested in that, at least.

Or maybe it just took a long time to find another movie to compare with a Neil Breen movie. Or he just felt like it because he's, you know, some guy.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Saw mother today and enjoyed it, I also agree with the majority of there review. Even though it is like they said "ham fisted" Im glad a movie like this came out and hit theatres.

shoelacer

Banned
500 people watching a grown man sort childrens toys on his knees and I'm one of them

This is not what I expected life to be like in 2017

Cheerilee

I saw Joe vs the Volcano a couple years ago, and I seem to remember not really liking it, and thinking it was a little too "on the nose" about things. But it seems that maybe the movie has fun with deliberately being too on the nose? I dunno. It's definitely a unique movie, and I sort of appreciate that others appreciate it.

Mostly this review just reminded me of The 'Burbs though, a Tom Hanks movie that came out one year before this one. It's a horror comedy from the director of Gremlins, where everyman Tom Hanks lives in the quiet suburbs, and he decides to take a relaxing vacation at home, but he's distracted by a suspicion that his neighbor is basically Mr Plinkett. It's a really great movie, IMO. Tom Hanks is a treasure.

I saw Joe vs the Volcano a couple years ago, and I seem to remember not really liking it, and thinking it was a little too "on the nose" about things. But it seems that maybe the movie has fun with deliberately being too on the nose? I dunno. It's definitely a unique movie, and I sort of appreciate that others appreciate it.

Mostly this review just reminded me of The 'Burbs though, a Tom Hanks movie that came out one year before this one. It's a horror comedy from the director of Gremlins, where everyman Tom Hanks lives in the quiet suburbs, and he decides to take a relaxing vacation at home, but he's distracted by a suspicion that his neighbor is basically Mr Plinkett. It's a really great movie, IMO. Tom Hanks is a treasure.

The image of Tom Hanks eating a pretzel with a big sardine on it has been with me since I first saw that movie.

LakeEarth

I did end up watching The Last Vampire on Earth over the weekend. It's as great as they say. It's definitely has that The Room vibe where everything is off in just the right ways, but The Room definitely has way more burst-out-loud moments of hilarity. Worth it if you love bad movies.

Funny side note, the movie has 250k views. The RLM review of the movie is over 500k.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

Wasn't there a lot of "Rear Window" type movies around that time? I remember one as a kid that looked to be around that time frame, where a bunch of kids found out their neighbor was burying a dead body.

Twitter dispute? From what I remember, it was just Landis being a bitch because they didn’t like American Ultra. “They’re outside the movie biz. How dare they!”
I thought I remembered him commenting that 'of course they hated my movie but they loved the Prequel SW Trilogy' meaning he had no idea who they were and was just mad of the movie's general reception.

shoelacer

Banned
IIRC Landis was mad cuz RLM often complain about Hollywood not having any new ideas, but they gave some Marvel sequel or whatever a decent review a week before dogging on American Ultra, an original story. I don't think it stemmed from him not being familiar with them, or else it wouldn't really make sense that he would take issue in the first place, let alone fly out to do a couple videos with them.

I thought I remembered him commenting that 'of course they hated my movie but they loved the Prequel SW Trilogy' meaning he had no idea who they were and was just mad of the movie's general reception.

He claimed the loved the Hobbit trilogy (they didn’t), that they loved Jurassic World (I don’t remember but I think Mike liked it and Jay didn’t), that they hated Chronicle (they didn’t), and that they hated American Ultra (they certainly didn’t like it, but I don’t know about hate).

Top Bottom