• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox one power supply spec, and size comparison

Arklite

If this thing runs considerably quieter/cooler than the PS4 then it's vindication. If the differences are minimal then yeah, they're not as efficient as they could be.

Afrikan

anyone ever have a power supply fail on them on their launch or other PS3s? I haven't, but that dev note makes it seems like it is a common thing with internal power supplies failing...and you having to replace the whole thing.

If this thing runs considerably quieter/cooler than the PS4 then it's vindication. If the differences are minimal then yeah, they're not as efficient as they could be.

speaking of quiet - if the TDP is only about 250W right now it could be possible to have an entirely passively cooled system come the 22nm shrink no?

strata8

So the power supply is rated for an output of 220W looking at those images.

By comparison:
2005 360 (Xenon): 205W
2007 360 (Falcon): 175W
2008 360 (Jasper): 150W
2010 360 S (Valhalla): 135W
2011 360 S (Corona): 115W

No idea why it's so big, but the launch PS3 had a 380W supply for a ~200W draw and the PS3 Super Slim has a 190W supply for a 70W draw. In contrast the launch 360 drew 180W on its 205W supply.

Console size: We wanted it to run cool, to run for a very long time, and we wanted it dead silent. To do so, big fans are needed, which leads to a larger size.
External power supply: One less thing to cool internally. When your power supply stops working, that's the only part that needs to be replaced, not the entire console.

It's like they talk about the 360 - and the 360 was dead loud.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I can respect the design choice, I'm never going to look at the thing anyways, Very interesting to hear about the console being quiet, then again it better be if all games are going to be installed on the HDD :/

Cuyejo

Well, as expected, certain livejournal (misterxmedia) individual considers this leak to be a confirmation that the XB1 is hiding extra power which, naturally, MS can't talk about due to the NDA.

170W is far too high for what the Xbox One is specced at.

If you're willing to pay more you can have an efficient (80%+) power supply from 30-40% onwards, but at a price.

Point is: what's the point in shipping a large 220W PSU when your hardware cannot draw more than 120W ?

Jeels

Hardware specs: The number of shader cores, type of RAM etc. were all chosen for a reason that works best for our set of features. Running multiple OS'es, instant switching, running app side by side, the Kinect, and so forth.

And the problem with this is, none of this has to do with gaming.

Good to hear it straight from the source.

What's the point about being so angry over the power brick? Especially when they lay it out so clearly why they chose to make it external. They want to generate less heat in the box, for a system that is designed to always be on, and is easily replaceable. Seems pretty simple to me. Seriously, we"re going to complain about a power supply?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I actually really, really like the idea of an external power supply or xbrick or whatever. It's actually a really good idea IMO. Still not buying an Xbox One.

What's the point about being so angry over the power brick? Especially when they lay it out so clearly why they chose to make it external. They want to generate less heat in the box, for a system that is designed to always be on, and is easily replaceable. Seems pretty simple to me. Seriously, we"re going to complain about a power supply?

it's not a dealbreaker but it's really annoying especially when compared to the PS4 which only needs a DS4 controller and standard Micro USB and standard C8 cable to operate

1. a good power supply isn't that hot
2. you pay for power brick enclosure and wiring
3. PS4 (and almost any device in your house) is "always on" in a standby fashion... yet power bricks aren't that common
4. replaceable you say ? why ? if they are well built they don't break that easily.

And (at least for me) : why cables on both sides ? That thing cannot be easily hidden (and the led made hiding it a bit pointless)... put both cables on the back (UPS like), it would be less hideous.

strata8

Point is: what's the point in shipping a large 220W PSU when your hardware cannot draw more than 120W ?

I have no idea. But since both the PS3 and Wii U ship with well over-specced power supplies, you can't make any conclusions about the XB1's power draw from the rating.

Alucrid

Banned
Re: xbox one dev

it's funny because the MS power supply was the only one to break on me this gen.

and xbox batteries (packs) were the only ones to fail on me this gen.

How many cable boxes double as a console with CPU, VGA, Ram, and Blu ray drive?

Be more specific : "how many are capable of running XBox one games ?"
Power amplifiers (and almost all audio/video equipment stuff) are way more power hungry... still, no external PSU.

Acosta

Try looking at it from an engineering design point of view rather than Xbox did it worse.
Hardware specs: The number of shader cores, type of RAM etc. were all chosen for a reason that works best for our set of features. Running multiple OS'es, instant switching, running app side by side, the Kinect, and so forth.
Console size: We wanted it to run cool, to run for a very long time, and we wanted it dead silent. To do so, big fans are needed, which leads to a larger size.
External power supply: One less thing to cool internally. When your power supply stops working, that's the only part that needs to be replaced, not the entire console.
Controller internal\external batteries: Same thing here. When the batteries works, you're wireless, great. When your batteries are drained, simply swap in another pair, you're still wireless. If they are internal, you'd have to be wired until they are charged.

We made it bigger and less powerful by design.

The power supply and AA batteries points are hysterical.

issaco

Neo Member
3 dead external Xbox 360 PSUs this generation and they have a loud fan.

I wonder how loud the Xbone power supply fan is.

We made it bigger and less powerful by design.

The power supply and AA batteries points are hysterical.

That was pretty much my take away as well

Only saving point might be how quiet it is

Assuming the PS4 is noticable louder

Because if its not well then I don't know what to say

DBT85

If I were to buy into the premise that I might need to replace the PSU (only PSU I've ever had die was a single proper cheap one in 20 odd years of fiddling with computers) , so it needs to be external (it could still be internal and be replaced easily) what do you do if your HDD dies?

Also wonder if either PSU makes the 80plus club.

Why is it bigger than the 360's? Isn't the Xbone supposed to be more efficient?

More efficient doesn't mean smaller, it means more flopilly dopillies per watt which both are.

There's no external PSU for PS3.

He's not saying there is, he's saying the PSU is rated at say 300w but the console only draws half of that. It's common.

TrueGrime

Another Xbox thread.
Another thread full of haters.

As if the brick is such a huge cause for concern. My 360 has a brick. I haven't seen it since I bought the thing.

If I were to buy into the premise that I might need to replace the PSU (only PSU I've ever had die was a single proper cheap one in 20 odd years of fiddling with computers) , so it needs to be external (it could still be internal and be replaced easily) what do you do if your HDD dies?

Yeah.

That's why this "when your power supply stops working, that's the only part that needs to be replaced, not the entire console" excuse is just another example of Microsoft completely bullshitting the consumer.

The hard drive is way, WAY more prone to failure than the power supply in a system. So by that engineering "logic," why doesn't Microsoft make that part user-replaceable, like Sony does?

Efficient (PSU wise) is more output milliwatts for each input watt.

Using internal PSU has some advantages : less hurdles about EMI shielding, better cooling (provided by "main" console cooling system). It's also cheaper.

Yeah.

That's why this "when your power supply stops working, that's the only part that needs to be replaced, not the entire console" excuse is just another example of Microsoft completely bullshitting the consumer.

The hard drive is way, WAY more prone to failure than the power supply in a system. So by that engineering "logic," why doesn't Microsoft make that part user-replaceable, like Sony does?

ODD is WAY more prone to failure than hard disks.

NoPiece

With the number of power supply failures I've had on my PC over the years (and I pay a lot for reputable brands), I'd kind of like to have a power brick solution for my desktop...

Top Bottom