• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cross-posting from the Toonami thread, but Gintoki's presentation on the Shonen Formula for Rival Characters had me bawling. Especially once he started dissing Yamcha.

tumblr_n23a486LsZ1sycuvlo6_r1_500.gif

KraytarJ

Is Masamune-kun's Revenge as shitty as its premise makes it out to be?
If Scum's Wish wasn't airing this season if be more willing to recommend it, but it's not actually as bad as its premise would suggest. It's just it doesn't really lean into how terrible the characters are like SW does and it also doesn't really parody romance stuff as well as it seems to want to.

The show is basically every boring rom-com anime you've ever seen with maybe a little extra nastiness at the beginning.

7 episodes in the show is just empty. The meanness of both main characters gets downplayed as the show goes on and doesn't really get replaced with anything.

zulux21

Yeah fam.

TBF, right now Gundam Unicorn has almost everyone's current scorn. lol

well yeah... but i mean when I first visited the toonami thread (which was well before I have become more a regular in the last year) I did so mostly because that thread didn't hate sword art online at the time while it was popular in here to hate on sword art online.

now it's cool to hate everywhere. Alas I just sigh at the children that call it the worst thing ever and know that one day they will grow up and finally watch something like the chrono trigger ova, and then know really what is the worst thing ever.

Clov

You know, just because Sword Art Online isn't the worst anime of all time doesn't mean that it's not bad. Even if there's other anime that are bad for similar reasons, it doesn't mean that SAO shouldn't be called out.

zulux21

You know, just because Sword Art Online isn't the worst anime of all time doesn't mean that it's not bad. Even if there's other anime that are bad for similar reasons, it doesn't mean that SAO shouldn't be called out.

my comments weren't in regards to the quality of SAO in general but literally the people that call it the worst show ever.

it's fine to dislike it, I dislike plenty of shows such as EVA (slowly rewatching it with my wife to see if my opinion changes, but 6 episodes in so far my opinion is it's even more boring than I remember lol), but in either case trying to claim such a show is the worst show ever is just silly.

duckroll

well yeah... but i mean when I first visited the toonami thread (which was well before I have become more a regular in the last year) I did so mostly because that thread didn't hate sword art online at the time while it was popular in here to hate on sword art online.

now it's cool to hate everywhere. Alas I just sigh at the children that call it the worst thing ever and know that one day they will grow up and finally watch something like the chrono trigger ova, and then know really what is the worst thing ever.

Glop. Glop. Glop.

Moaradin

I don't remember that at all. Most of the Toonami thread was shitting on it by episode 2/3. Whichever one has beater and the guild getting murdered.

zulux21

I don't remember that at all. Most of the Toonami thread was shitting on it by episode 2/3. Whichever one has beater and the guild getting murdered.

I was going to try to figure out when, but then I see that neogaf only saves 1500 posts.

it was a while after sword art online aired on toonami though.

edit: I can't find it via search engine either... though I did find where i derailed animegaf with MAL talk in 2014 lol.

to be fair the thread as a whole might have been still disliking it and I just got lucky the day I was posting.

it happens every once in a while in here as well that I say I like SAO and people don't instantly start crapping on it :p

Tiger Mask W 3

Given how GWM is an obvious stand-in for WWE, I wonder if there's actual bad blood between NJPW and WWE or it was just a good model to use to make NJPW come off as the underdogs.

Aikatsu! Aiming for the Magical Aikatsu Card

So in this companion episode to the Stars movie with the original cast, we've got a vampire, Jurrasic Park III, baseball, a motorcycle crash, a transforming ninja, marriage, witches vs dragon, a flying cow, a magician, Star Wars, and magical girls. Are these people still idols? Well yes, because everyone gets one last performance on stage. Everyone! Even Shion! Except those who never got to dance. And Hikari. Poor Hikari. A nice treat to see everyone one last time.

Sounds hype. I'll have to check it out.

Tiger Mask W 3

Given how GWM is an obvious stand-in for WWE, I wonder if there's actual bad blood between NJPW and WWE or it was just a good model to use to make NJPW come off as the underdogs.

I doubt there's any bad blood. The WWE really is the all powerful conglomerate that NJPW will never truly be able to compete against.

The equivalent is an anime about a modest restaurant trying to survive when an ersatz McDonalds wants the area they operate in.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I am afraid of watching the next Scum's Wish. I don't know how much more misery I can watch. I think I am just watching it to be constantly disgusted with the depravity of these characters and say, "Look how miserable these characters are."

Not sure what is compelling me to continue, but I am because I am a sadistic motherf*****...

School Days has done it's damage.

0VyUMXQl.jpg

The show is basically set up to be like Watamote, where you assume some learning moment will happen for these characters and they'll learn how to properly navigate the difficult world of human relationships. The happy ending basically writes itself.

Although, I would really be excited if they learn what they need to learn without anyone getting what they want. lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I doubt there's any bad blood. The WWE really is the all powerful conglomerate that NJPW will never truly be able to compete against.

The equivalent is an anime about a modest restaurant trying to survive when an ersatz McDonalds wants the area they operate in.
The WWE just poached a handful of NJPW's stars, so I have to assume there's some ill will there. But if you are Japanese and want to be "famous" as a wrestler, you really don't have a choice.

KraytarJ

K-ON!! 1
A bit of a light-hearted downer to start on… the club is basically on a timer at this point. Other than that having a good bit of the focus being on what it's like to be a senior, and as a result the oldest kids in your school, was cool since those years always felt a little different growing up, knowing this is it and after the year ends your life will be totally different always made them stand out a bit for me.

Chindogg

Actually that's not true. WWE apparently made an insultingly low offer to NJPW for their content on WWE Network to the point of the CEO of NJPW actively pushing into the US market starting this year because of how pissed he was.

The manga has been a lot better in recent chapters.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
K-ON!! 1
A bit of a light-hearted downer to start on… the club is basically on a timer at this point. Other than that having a good bit of the focus being on what it's like to be a senior, and as a result the oldest kids in your school, was cool since those years always felt a little different growing up, knowing this is it and after the year ends your life will be totally different always made them stand out a bit for me.

Welcome to the real K-ON!!.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gintama 322

I find it funny how I can recognize that lines like this are cheese, but I also can't help but think how fucking bad ass they are. If they were still doing filler episodes, they could do another countdown of the best lines and probably fill a few episodes with those. lol

MjDRJVTl.jpg

Also, I love how they have this amazing hype moment and then shit on it shortly afterwards. Just when you were starting to think that Gintama had lost its sense of humour and was in pure end-game mode.

LotusHD

Banned
I am afraid of watching the next Scum's Wish. I don't know how much more misery I can watch. I think I am just watching it to be constantly disgusted with the depravity of these characters and say, "Look how miserable these characters are.".

I basically feel the same. Last thing I watched that made me feel similarly was this show UnREAL, where the cast were all utterly shitty people as well. This anime just feels like a slow-moving trainwreck that I just can't look away from. Like, am I even actually enjoying it? Will I actually think I've watched a decent anime once it's finished airing? I... dunno. Outside of the teacher being that character you love to hate, everyone else is so... Ugh.

Yet I'll still watch it next week.

Moaradin

Gintama 322
Also, I love how they have this amazing hype moment and then shit on it shortly afterwards. Just when you were starting to think that Gintama had lost its sense of humour and was in pure end-game mode.

Even though it has been pretty much pure story for the last 3 arcs, I feel like it does a good job mixing in little humorous moments here and there. Keeps it from being too dour.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
it's at least background watchable with the dub *shrugs*

yup, when I first started posting there it wasn't compeltely against sword art online.

now much like this place everyone seems to hate sword art online :p

also

toonami thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1329802

[post=98570519]I'll never forget Toonami GAF's love for Sword Art Online.[/post]

The quoted me of all people as a defence for the show. What I wrote was a complete joke.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Even though it has been pretty much pure story for the last 3 arcs, I feel like it does a good job mixing in little humorous moments here and there. Keeps it from being too dour.
Yeah, even when it's building toward hype moment after hype moment, it still manages to remind you that you shouldn't take any of this too seriously. It's such an incredible balancing act.

Quasar

my comments weren't in regards to the quality of SAO in general but literally the people that call it the worst show ever.

it's fine to dislike it, I dislike plenty of shows such as EVA (slowly rewatching it with my wife to see if my opinion changes, but 6 episodes in so far my opinion is it's even more boring than I remember lol), but in either case trying to claim such a show is the worst show ever is just silly.

That was my beef too.

The luducrous 'SAO is the worst piece of anime ever' on GAF is pretty much why I started using my avatar and I voted for it that year.

Cornbread78

Lol@ the ToonamiGAF/SAO talk.

SAO reduced ToonamiGAF to YouTube comments/Twitter feed level status with the amount of hate spewing from everyone. I remember being asked to stop by and at least give a dissenting opinion on it.... My goodness....

That was my beef too.
The luducrous 'SAO is the worst piece of anime ever' on GAF is pretty much why I started using my avatar and I voted for it that year.

It really is a never-ending battle. I'm all in for the entertainment of it all, lol.

Thud

I Think its three arcs or the big tree, Elf Arc is on season 1? I always though as different arcs

Different arcs same season.

To me the only part that holds up in SAO is the mother's rosario arc, the rest just becomes painful to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom