• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny Arcade on Obvious Kickstarter Scams

http://penny-arcade.com/comic

i-jbBQTJT-X2.jpg

John Videogames needs our help!

Coal

Yes... Kickstarter is one of the best things happen to old school gaming koncepts (Wasteland etc etc).

Of course... we will see if these intresting games will be done.

Oh shit they finished the new Wasteland? I was under the impression that it wasn't even close to being started, but who knows I don't live in the future.

I think PA hit the nail right on the head, KS is ridiculous. What's wrong with having game COMPANIES that are well established for making GOOD GAMES ALREADY make games? It's only been working well for the past FOREVER

Oh shit they finished the new Wasteland? I was under the impression that it wasn't even close to being started, but who knows I don't live in the future.

I think PA hit the nail right on the head, KS is ridiculous. What's wrong with having game COMPANIES that are well established for making GOOD GAMES ALREADY make games? It's only been working well for the past FOREVER

Stop it, you're making too much sense.

Yeah, those companies are really pumping out the point-and-click adventures and isometric RPG's.

The problem is that there aren't enough good COMPANIES making GOOD GAMES ALREADY. The past isn't FOREVER, it's the past, man.

coldvein

Banned

it's working so well right now. we're pretty much drowning in awesome games, right? (????)

Coal

Yeah, those companies are really pumping out the point-and-click adventures and isometric RPG's.

Yeah those games are selling well also here's this new ace of base album dude i saw the sign!!

The problem is that there aren't enough good COMPANIES making GOOD GAMES ALREADY. The past isn't FOREVER, it's the past, man.

Debatable. Good games are opinion based, but the stuff on KS can't really hold a candle to a huge team of people working on a game.

coldvein

Banned
Yeah those games are selling well also here's this new ace of base album dude i saw the sign!!

Debatable. Good games are opinion based, but the stuff on KS can't really hold a candle to a huge team of people working on a game.

you're very much missing the point.

Satch

Banned
Kickstarter allows people to fund a a project that they have interest in. There doesn't seem to be any harm in that, but admittedly I don't know much about it.

I guess I just don't see the need to take an adversarial stance on this when it doesn't require you to donate to them. Just my two cents.

Coal

you're very much missing the point.

Then please, oh mighty kickstarter sage, enlighten me, please

Kickstarter is still a crock of shit IMO. Maybe I'm "missing the point" but I don't see ANY point in giving someone money unless they give me a product in return. But hey, I work for the money I have.

My point really is that it's just the newest thing that caters to people who have more money than sense. Pet rock? Snuggies? They might as well make Kickstarter ads AS SEEN ON TV!! It's basically the same shit, you're just "donating" 19.95 instead.

Kickstarter is still a crock of shit IMO. Maybe I'm "missing the point" but I don't see ANY point in giving someone money unless they give me a product in return. But hey, I work for the money I have.

But you do get a game in return. They're not asking you to buy it once it's finished and put out.

If you want to hate on KS, fine. At least don't be a prick about it.

Kurtofan

When companies are PIECES OF SHIT which don't want to try anything DIFFERENT.

coldvein

Banned

quickly? the point is that games that "successful game companies" would NEVER EVER FUND are getting funding from people who care about them. that is it. how is that bad?

ps. i dont care about money because my mom gives me all of mine.

mclem

I like PA but when they are wrong, they are really fucking wrong.

To be fair, it sounds like they're shitting on shitty Kickstarters, not the site as a whole, but we'll see what the news post says when it appears.

Indeed: I'm *sure* they had Your World in mind when doing this one.

Because money.

Gosh, that was easy.

Coal

If you want to hate on KS, fine. At least don't be a prick about it.

How is saying i work for a living being a prick? i'm sorry if you don't have a job, but ESPECIALLY with the way the economy is i just find it absolutely retarded when people are just willing to throw money away when the reality is you don't know if you're getting ANYTHING or not, it's all on good faith.

As much as i wish it were the other way around, good faith isn't worth shit nowadays, guys.

panda21

i think they are making fun of the kickstarters that literally are like that John Videogames one. Giantbomb was talking about one a week or two ago on the podcast, it was basically like "yeah it will be a perfect mmorpg with lasers and hawks and donate now to recieve a mount with 20% extra speed even though we havent even started designing the game yet".

even with the stuff like wasteland you have no guarantee they won't just never release the game, or it will be a pile of crap.

My point really is that it's just the newest thing that caters to people who have more money than sense. Pet rock? Snuggies? They might as well make Kickstarter ads AS SEEN ON TV!! It's basically the same shit, you're just "donating" 19.95 instead.

Wow. It's just amazing when someones angry rant exposes that they have no idea what they're ranting about...

coldvein

Banned
How is saying i work for a living being a prick? i'm sorry if you don't have a job, but ESPECIALLY with the way the economy is i just find it absolutely retarded when people are just willing to throw money away when the reality is you don't know if you're getting ANYTHING or not, it's all on good faith.

As much as i wish it were the other way around, good faith isn't worth shit nowadays, guys.

what are you talking about? you too busy with your bootstraps to answer my question? (which was.. in case you weren't paying attention) games that would NEVER EVER GET funding from big successful publishers are getting money and attention from people who care about those games. what is wrong with that?

Well, I won't argue with you there. It does come down to faith. But I personally have faith that Double Fine can deliver a pretty good adventure game.

There's definitely plenty of other Kickstarter projects that I have no faith in.

Coal

i think they are making fun of the kickstarters that literally are like that John Videogames one. Giantbomb was talking about one a week or two ago on the podcast, it was basically like "yeah it will be a perfect mmorpg with lasers and hawks and donate now to recieve a mount with 20% extra speed even though we havent even started designing the game yet".

even with the stuff like wasteland you have no guarantee they won't just never release the game, or it will be a pile of crap.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/120873716/your-world ?

To the above posters, yes I'm aware if goals aren't met no money is taken, but still what's keeping me from "making a game" and then taking the money and running? That's all I'm saying. Not ALL Kickstarter PROJECTS are shit, but the way the website is set up for NOW is shady to me.

It's working so good people are willing to drop 100$ for a promise of getting good RPG and not dumbed mass market shooter with some stats and dialogues

Is this a joke post? I'll act like you mean this and blow it apart anyway.

''Oh shit they finished the new Wasteland? I was under the impression that it wasn't even close to being started, but who knows I don't live in the future.''

Do you say this in every thread about a new game announcement?
Even the new Smash Bros was announced before a single idea was on paper.

''I think PA hit the nail right on the head, KS is ridiculous. What's wrong with having game COMPANIES that are well established for making GOOD GAMES ALREADY make games?''

How does KS stop this from happening? KS isn't replacing this, it's allowing for a middle tier between no budget games (the Newgrounds type) and big budget.

''It's only been working well for the past FOREVER''

If you only like game where you drive realistic cars or shoot people.
Also the use of 'FOREVER' is funny, since a lot of the games funded would have been made under the Publishers just a decade ago, but now the budgets have increased to a point they don't want to release a game that requires thought to enjoy, everything they put out is idiot friendly. Leaving a lot of genres and more unique voices in the industry locked out.

Xater

I really hope this is about shitty Kickstarters and not good guys like Brian Fargo or the Double Fine guys.

And Coal you should really stop posting in Kickstarter threads. You have no idea what you are talking about. How many times do people have to explain to you how Kickstarter works and how many great successful projects have already come out of it.

To the above posters, yes I'm aware if goals aren't met no money is taken, but still what's keeping me from "making a game" and then taking the money and running? That's all I'm saying.

It really comes down to the people behind the project. Double Fine, for example, are pretty big and well known. Something like that would hurt them so bad that it'd ruin them, more than likely.

Mechazawa

I like PA but when they are wrong, they are really fucking wrong.

About what? That shitty Kickstarters are shit?

Because if you're implying that they're throwing the whole website under the bus, I'll redirect you to the last two months of posts by Tycho which have been copious with Kickstarter project pimping.

coldvein

Banned

To the above posters, yes I'm aware if goals aren't met no money is taken, but still what's keeping me from "making a game" and then taking the money and running? That's all I'm saying. Not ALL Kickstarter PROJECTS are shit, but the way the website is set up for NOW is shady to me.

wait, wait... i enlightened you, you called me the great kickstarter sage, and all i get is a "to the above posters" lame response? maaaan. you should start a kickstarter to raise funds in order to not look like a jerk. hire somebody to type for you or something.

dude

dude

Maybe video game production costs has escalated to the INSANE and CREATIVITY isn't being sought any more because the FINANCIAL RISK in it is too high, and because all the risk is resting on one COMPANY or a PUBLISHER very few CREATIVE, GOOD GAMES are being made, as more focus is given to sure fire profit generating games - Kickstater allows the risk to be SHARED by a crowd of passionate people who want to see the project made.

Lime

These Penny Arcade guys seem incredibly out of touch with reality. The depicted Kickstarter in that comic are probably one out of a thousand and usually don't end up getting funded.

Satch

Banned
I don't really feel that the hypothetical of "making the game and running" is a good excuse for the vitriol.

Is there a precedent for this that I don't know about?

Top Bottom