• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some NieR: Automata Players Upset After Discovering Trash Item Called “NIN64”

d44a1e47_thumb.jpg

NieR: Automata has a little fishing system that lets you find some nifty rare items, but after some players reeled in a trash item called “NIN64” they got pretty upset and called out the developers.

The above is a look at the “NIN64” item. It is described as “Trash that was fished up. Can be exchanged at the shop.” Of course there’s no telling if it was just a little reference to the Nintendo console that somehow managed to survive the test of time until 2B fishes it out almost 10,000 years later, or if it was a tongue-in-cheek comment from the developers.

Other fans noted that perhaps it wasn’t about the Nintendo 64, but a play on the “MIM46,” or MIM-46 Mauler, a self-propelled anti-aircraft missile system from the late 1950s.

Nonetheless, a lot of players in Japan saw it as a rather tasteless comment to call the old Nintendo hardware “trash” as described in the info and began demanding Square Enix to change it. Producer Yosuke Saito followed up with the tweet to address the issue, saying that they will “change the name of an item you’ve all pointed out” as well as some bug fixes in the next patch.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/02/24/nier-automata-players-upset-discovering-trash-item-called-nin64/

Mr-Joker

Banned
Did said players get upset when the shark boss in Viewtiful Joe spat out rubbish and one of them was a GameCube?

Honestly the whole thing is just silly and not worth getting upset over.

Can't believe anyone would actually be upset with this...but more surprised that the developers promised to change the name in a patch...

DrArchon

Too many people getting their undies twisted up over nothing. Why can't a company poke fun at another company over a product that came out ages ago? Who the fuck cares enough about the honor and integrity of the Nintendo 64 that they feel the need to complain to SE about it? If this was really such a huge slight, then Nintendo would take it up with SE.

Nintendo 64 is trash /now/ comparatively, but you know what? It'll still fucking work.

Mine "fell" off a third story balcony and still worked. Nintendo 64 don't give a FUCK.

That said, it looks like a rocket launcher, as KHLover says.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I'm incredibly offended, and will be boycotting this game unless Yoko Taro comes out and makes a formal apology to Nintendo for this outrageous dishonor.

Berordn

I mean... Nier has lots of trash items because they're relics of a lost era.

I don't get why this is an issue with anyone.

I remember a similar gag used in Enslaved involving a 3D television.

Did any die-hard 3D television fans get angry about that?

DylanEno

I loved the N64 at the time but seriously? I can't believe they're giving in and patching it out. Does artistic integrity mean nothing anymore?? Smh Yoko Taro. SMH.

Top Bottom