• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Talk about double standards (Wall Street Journal vs. PewDiePie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skatterd

His followers are currently harassing JK Rowling on Twitter with doctored pictures of her in a nazi uniform. Formidable group of people, these "rookie comedians"...

And this is why when you're as influential as he is, it's important to call out his response to the situation as bad.

PDP may have been the victim a week or two ago, but that's not the case anymore. With this video he's made himself into the aggressor, and he holds that distinction with no shame. And if you're going to pull the "well they did it first" excuse to defend him in this context, you probably don't actually care about misinformation.

Also this.

IaN_GAF

Sargon of Akkad is a GamerGater and alt-righter. If you're a person of color he believes your IQ to be lower than a white man. If you're a woman, he believes that you are the one oppressing yourself and will rail against you for your views because your a woman and he wants you out of your position whether it's the game industry or whatever. He'll harass you and sick his followers on you till you quit Twitter.

He's friends with Milo and defends his pedophilia comments.

It only gets worse http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Sargon_Of_Akkad

I follow racist politicians on Twitter to keep a close eye on them and vocalise my disapproval of their intentions whenever necessary. I was merely stating that a follow by itself doesn't mean appreciation or approval.

Shortcuts in reasoning like that actually hurt the discussion because it distracts from the topic at hand, and provides an easy excuse to get purposefully sidetracked. There are cases to be made using evidence instead of drawing conclusions based on assumptions.

NotLiquid

If you're going to start arguing about the importance in pointing out "misinformation" and "context" you need to take a step back and stop defending a person with a soap box who is right now willingly spreading misinformation in a vacuum of no context himself when it comes to that Vox article.

PDP may have been the victim a week or two ago, but that's not the case anymore. With this video he's made himself into the aggressor, and he holds that distinction with no shame. And if you're going to pull the "well they did it first" excuse to defend him in this context, you probably don't actually care about misinformation.

Nope your falling for the same hook line and sinker the die hard Trump supporters do. "The medias after me because I'm so rich and famous", "the media is running a smear campaign against me", "let's bring it up after burying the hatchet because I'm still so right", and finally I'm going to list something good said about me from an unseemly character. I full expect the whole "I don't know David Duke at all" about the whole Sargon thing. I don't side with the reporter from WSJ but PDP's actions are just as shitty at this point and the fact that all his fans are jumping to defend him so vehemently is silly. He looks pretty as all get out in this video.

The media loves clickbait headlines. I'm a die-hard Democrat and even I roll my eyes when I read some the headlines The Huffington Post and The Verge write. I think the WSJ article did deserve to be written in some way (just with less things taken out of context). The one joke PDP did was bad and deserved to be called out on. But there are MANY articles written about PewDiePie that are clickbait hit pieces.

Gattsu25

Banned
This Film Critic Hulk twitter thread was linked earlier. Going to post the thread in here though: https://twitter.com/FilmCritHULK/status/831348572180271104

Thread RE: Pewdiepie - making inane "shock" jokes will just inevitably push you into becoming that actual hyper-conservative jerk.

It starts with making a "joke" - but the outrage is sincere. So the "just joking" defense is put up. But the consequences feel weirdly real. But rather than face yourself, other people's sensitivity becomes the enemy. So the jokes get more extreme.

So the consequences become more real too. Then you're so embedded in your own war on sensitivity that you don't realize you've joined a side.

Sure you don't know what you stand for, it's just all about them sweet sweet liberal tears. But soon the people who support you start making "sense" because they see the same flaws in the people you hate that you do. And soon enough you become the very fascistic asshat you once could not relate to, but only made "jokes" about.

And that's the story of how the in-it-for-the-lulz internet became a bunch of dye-in-the-wool fascists.

So the question is, when are we gonna recognize this shit for not only what it is, but what it will be?

Oh to be clear, the call to action here is about addressing the cycle with people at the beginning. Not doubling down on outrage.​
His followers are currently harassing JK Rowling on Twitter with doctored pictures of her in a nazi uniform. Formidable group of people, these "rookie comedians"...

APF

I follow racist politicians on Twitter to keep a close eye on them and vocalise my disapproval of their intentions whenever necessary. I was merely stating that a follow by itself doesn't mean appreciation or approval.
Did you do this right after finding yourself in a controversy over repeatedly using racist imagery?

Nepenthe

The combativeness was over the medias reporting and distortion of the truth. Not about him fucking up and his actual anti Semitic "joke". He apologized for that.

I don't know what to think of the Sargon thing I don't honestly have a clue who he is. A you tuber that some here have said is alt right/racist or whatever.

But that's exactly what I mean by throwing out these labels...I have to now question if this Sargon guy is an actual bad human being or is he actually just "bad" like Pewdiepie (who I don't think is despite what so many here would want me to believe).

There lies the danger in throwing around these words.

Oh please. People in general aren't inclined to listen to minorities and allies talk about racism because the extent to which racism has been so institutionalized and thus normalized is so vast that it's uncomfortable to deal with, so thus it's more comfortable and waiter to dismiss it and label people as race-baiters and oversensitive, even in situations like this where the original fucking article that started this never even made an indictment of PDP's character. Large-scale issues are subject to the same divisiveness anyway. You can't even bring yourself to take a passing glance at a Sargon video yourself and just dismiss him as that guy who "might be racist, I don't fucking know."

Seriously. Get out of here with this shit. If people were half as offended over the societal shifts and constant backlash by racists and their sympathizers as they were PDP we might actually be collectively better off.

Garjon

Nobody is going to answer you because none of the people who are supporting him actually read the article.

This. If they did, they would know that WSJ would not exactly benefit from a 'hit piece', that the article NEVER calls PdP a racist, Nazi or antisemite and that the 'out of context' images were posted with context AND with an explanation of why they're still offensive (repeated use of 'ironic' Nazi imagery normalises it etc). Basically the article is quite ethically justified and is utterly redeemed by the fact that Disney and Youtube saw it and agreed to cancel their contract (likely at their own great expense)

Alucrid

Banned

see, the point he was trying to make in the video was that people who like his content would be so moronic that they would actually go and harass jk rowling. context!

tci

I felt this lawyer laid it out quite well.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/20/14675914/freedom-of-speech-censorship-pewdiepie

It's a very well written article that discusses contracts, free speech, and platforms. The lawyer is an entertainment lawyer and has has worked with a lot of entertainers and companies.
It makes a good point. And it is probably the reasoning. I tried to find any statements outside of "corporate diplomatic comment". In some areas it looks to be reaching a bit, but I understand the reason to protect them self. Would have preferred to see a statement stating the breach of contract. Not just "he went to far".
I see what you did there
ok
thats fucked up...
This was bound to happen. Society glorify celebrities. They do this without thinking just because their "friend" have been "attacked".

Had this been handled in a better way, none of this drama would explode like this. I can promise you that this is far from the end of it.

APF

This. If they did, they would know that WSJ would not exactly benefit from a 'hit piece', that the article NEVER calls PdP a racist, Nazi or antisemite and that the 'out of context' images were posted with context AND with an explanation of why they're still offensive (repeated use of 'ironic' Nazi imagery normalises it etc). Basically the article is quite ethically justified and is utterly redeemed by the fact that Disney and Youtube saw it and agreed to cancel their contract (likely at their own great expense)

Bingo. This is a textbook example of non-media-savvy people attacking an article that casts something they like or agree with in a negative light precisely because it's not one-sided in their favor but instead dares to provide context both pro- and con.

EDIT for below post: no, Rowling says "For those who think fascism is an edgy accessory," implying that he's just trying to be edgy, while linking to an article that explicitly says PDP was joking.

It's also important to make sure the person you are publicly calling a fascist actually is one.

Did she call him a fascist? I remember seeing a tweet of her sharing an article about how fascism is becoming edgy and this article use PDP as an example.

He has t
Oh yes, because I am CLEARLY talking about his rape jokes here... /s

The dude is barely a professional is my point. But even ignoring that the dude is not taking real reaponsibility for his actions. Taking responsibility is not going "I'm sorry but". I can't grssp why people think they. When you do wrong you dont offload blame and try to point blame somewhere else.

Keihart

JK Rowling picture was a photoshop and not even real.

Ofcourse it was, isn't that the whole point?

Edit: BTW, since it seems is fliying over many in the thread, this whole video is PDP doing exactly what the media has being doing since the WSJ article....that is the whole point as i interpreted it, is a "what if i do what they are doing"

Gattsu25

Banned
Bingo. This is a textbook example of non-media-savvy people attacking an article that casts something they like or agree with in a negative light precisely because it's not one-sided in their favor but instead dares to provide context both pro- and con.

Yeah, this is the outrage to "Gamers are dead" all over again. People who refuse to read an article and see that it's being improperly reframed back to them.

Carcetti

It's depressing that the golden idols of so many young men seem to be these net personalities who thrive on controversy of their own manufacture and who vary from harmless dummy (PDP) to toxic shitheels (Sargon, Milo). Of course they all have this one thing in common, the good old 'don't trust the MSM' message. And it's funny that when the push comes to shove, these people magically seem to find each other.

I actually used to like PDP before this, he's got real charisma. And the thing that soured him to me is not the controversy itself but his response to it.

L Thammy

The modern political climate is full of right wing fake news websites like Breitbart who survive off their audience's distrust of the mainstream media, allowing them to establish themselves as the only real source of information. Trump's encouraging that right now. Gamergate was also big on encouraging that. Regardless of what PewDiePie's intent is, he's putting a lot of effort into pushing young people into these narratives. I don't have a lot of sympathy for him at this point.

Oh please. People in general aren't inclined to listen to minorities and allies talk about racism because the extent to which racism has been so institutionalized and thus normalized is so vast that it's uncomfortable to deal with, so thus it's more comfortable and waiter to dismiss it and label people as race-baiters and oversensitive, even in situations like this where the original fucking article that started this never even made an indictment of PDP's character. Large-scale issues are subject to the same divisiveness anyway. You can't even bring yourself to take a passing glance at a Sargon video yourself and just dismiss him as that guy who "might be racist, I don't fucking know."

Seriously. Get out of here with this shit. If people were half as offended over the societal shifts and constant backlash by racists and their sympathizers as they were PDP we might actually be collectively better off.
Here is what I am saying. I don't know or care who Sargon is. And it doesn't matter.
The point is that you are telling me pewdiepie is bad and I don't agree with that. So when you tell me that Sargon is bad too i imagine you can see why that could create an issue?

EDIT: please for the love of god can someone actually give me a direct quote demonstrating the WSJ not providing adequate context?

A clip of PDP raising his arm and implying it's a nazi salute is so out of context it's actually a lie.

Releasing a video publicly for everyone of edited clips of his jokes and leaving the context behind a pay wall I would argue is out of context.

jtb

Banned
It's depressing that the golden idols of so many young men seem to be these net personalities who thrive on controversy of their own manufacture and who vary from harmless dummy (PDP) to toxic shitheels (Sargon, Milo). Of course they all have this one thing in common, the good old 'don't trust the MSM' message. And it's funny that when the push comes to shove, these people magically seem to find each other.

I actually used to like PDP before this, he's got real charisma. And the thing that soured him to me is not the controversy itself but his response to it.

It's not a coincidence.

A clip of PDP raising his arm and implying it's a nazi salute is so out of context it's actually a lie.

Releasing a video publicly for everyone of edited clips of his jokes and leaving the context behind a pay wall I would argue is out of context.

So now paywalls are journalistically unethical too. k.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
The modern political climate is full of right wing fake news websites like Breitbart who survive off their audience's distrust of the mainstream media, allowing them to establish themselves as the only real source of information. Trump's encouraging that right now. Gamergate was also big on encouraging that. Regardless of what PewDiePie's intent is, he's putting a lot of effort into pushing young people into these narratives. I don't have a lot of sympathy for him at this point.

I would argue the WSJ is doing that legwork here by publishing that article and furthering the distrust of the media. PDP is just shining some light on the games some of these media establishments play.

Nanashrew

Banned
Ofcourse it was, isn't that the whole point?

Edit: BTW, since it seems is fliying over many in the thread, this whole video is PDP doing exactly what the media has being doing since the WSJ article....that is the whole point as i interpreted it, is a "what if i do what they are doing"

And that makes it better? And him linking to an actual fascist in promotion?

Is that a joke too? Is he jokingly ushering people to his content?

I don't know. What exactly is the point of defending PDP? I've yet to hear an argument for why PDP has been in the right all along.

Unless we're talking in the alt-right, obv.

My argument is PDP is defending being called a racist nazi when he's not. PDP is then saying clipping together a bunch of out of context clips is wrong, which it is.

Breads

Banned

That what happens when you cultivate an audience with normalized nazi "humor".

You get a bunch of kids thinking this is funny.

Alucrid

Banned
Here is what I am saying. I don't know or care who Sargon is. And it doesn't matter.
The point is that you are telling me pewdiepie is bad and I don't agree with that. So when you tell me that Sargon is bad too i imagine you can see why that could create an issue?

ok. you go and examine whether or not the statement that black people have lower iqs just because they're black is a bad statement or a "bad" statement. unless you don't care.

Yes, many jokes taken out of context by the WSJ were actually nbd when you watch the videos. For example: PewDiePie said that the media loves taking clips out of context. The next clip was him dressed up in a military uniform watching a Hitler speech. The whole point of the joke was the media loves taking things out of context.

Also the WSJ literally took a clip of PDP raising his hand and implied he was doing a nazi salute.

Yes, I will defend these jokes, and I accept PewDiePie's apology on the one joke that was actually anti-Semitic that he regrets doing.

Context doesn't make those jokes better

You can accept his apology, that's fine, but you can't expect everyone else to also be that dismissive of what Pewdiepie did

The quality of the journalism about Pewdiepie's actions do not in anyway negate the multiple anti-semitic jokes he has made. Anti-semitism is anti-semitism, regardless of context

Keihart

i think it probably is, i've watched his videos from time to time, and that is basically how his jokes work most of the time.

I hate this idea that PewDiePie doesn't know what he is doing with his videos. The guy is a troll who made a career off making rape jokes. Are we really to believe that this guy doesn't understand the implicationa of having people write "kill all jews" and posting a video for his dozens of millions of followers? Do people really believe it was solely a social experiment to prove shit everyone already knows?

I refuse to believe people are this naive. They know what he is doing. He knows what he is doing. But he doesn't wanna own it because then it kills his whole brand. Linking racists and saying "well they supported me in my time of need" is such a thinly veiled excuse as well. Who are you fooling?

L Thammy

I would argue the WSJ is doing that legwork here by publishing that article and furthering the distrust of the media. PDP is just shining some light on the games some of these media establishments play.

The Wall Street Journal is the Wall Street Journal. They're a publication. They aren't a conspiracy by the "lamestream" media to destroy the younger, sexier, purehearted new media - until someone makes it a point to spread that narrative.

It's not a coincidence.

So now paywalls are journalistically unethical too. k.

Yes, paywalls are unethical when you're the WSJ and you imply racism with a ton of out of context clips in a video shared publicly to the world. And then write the context behind a paywall.

And it's not just behind a paywall. The video is on Youtube alone with the paywalled article being a small link in the description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Q1i3YXt5s

That is unethical.

Never did i think i would see CGP Grey and GamerGate in the same sentence. This might be the biggest reach i have ever seen.His opinion on news in general is well documented at this point.Considering you saw his first tweet you probably know very well what his views are on the subject and that he has nothing in common with GamerGate.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't fully understand the situation but he's gotta defend Youtube and Reddit as it is the superior future of getting news (Lolz). It's also ironic that he says the news is clickbait when that is how most Youtubers operate (See Phillp DeFranco, Keemstar, etc.)

C5c0U6tU4AAJP4U.jpg:large

One person being a shithead does not preclude another person from also being a shithead.

fin

Anung

Un Rama
Racist or not. Opening his audience up to Sargon is not going make him less of a piece of shit in my books. Kind of undermining himself and setting kids down that path is very irresponsible of him. He may not want to acknowledge it but he is an influencer now. He's shaping the viewpoints of a lot of kids.

He is "jokingly" making a hashtag and encouraging fans to harass a journalist with the intent of getting him fired

He is "jokingly" showing a random website claiming that JK Rowling said nazi uniformes are "arousing" to millions of followers who are now harassing her on Twitter

How many "jokes" will it take for people to realize that joking actions are nonetheless actions? If before he could claim he was a victim, now that whole facade has crumbled. He has now turned political in the worst way possible.

jtb

Banned
Yes, paywalls are unethical when you're the WSJ and you imply racism with a ton of out of context clips in a video shared publicly to the world. And then write the context behind a paywall.

And it's not just behind a paywall. The video is on Youtube alone with the paywalled article being a small link in the description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Q1i3YXt5s

That is unethical.

Aren't PDP's videos also available to the public? And seen by his millions and millions of subscribers? That's the context. No one's hiding it. The WSJ didn't burn the archives, then hide their description behind a paywall.

How exactly is this tarnishing PDP's name? If the claims are so untrue, why hasn't he filed for libel against the WSJ?

Seems to me, the only people learning anything new here was Disney. And I suspect Disney execs have a subscription to the WSJ.

I hate this idea that PewDiePie doesn't know what he is doing with his videos. The guy is a troll who made a career off making rape jokes. Are we really to believe that this guy doesn't understand the implicationa of having people write "kill all jews" and posting a video for his dozens of millions of followers? Do people really believe it was solely a social experiment to prove shit everyone already knows?

I refuse to believe people are this naive. They know what he is doing. He knows what he is doing. But he doesn't wanna own it because then it kills his whole brand. Linking racists and saying "well they supported me in my time of need" is such a thinly veiled excuse as well. Who are you fooling?

It's all just a fucking meme and joke to these people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom