• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWF/WCW Attitude Era (1995-2001): Time to nostalgia over out favorite moments!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zomaha

Beyond the Mat - Barry Blaustein's excellent 1999 documentary looking inside professional wrestling, focusing on Mick Foley, Terry Funk, Jake Roberts, WWF and ECW.

Amazing film, a must-see for any wrestling fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwWKy56nDfg - From the part where HHH interferes and beyond. Two really entertaining wrestlers/actors at work and they did a great job. You can see the anger in their eyes and demeanor. It was exhilarating to watch. Plus HHH/Stone Cold kind of personify the era to me as I was never much of a Rock fan. He was more about flash and personality, SCSA and HHH were all about power.

WCW return of Hogan - Was lucky enough to have been watching on TV this night. A great moment as Hogan was one of the wrestlers I watched as a kid.

Sadly when the Attitude era ended, I stopped watching. Cannot stomach it now. Idk if I have just changed personally to where it is no longer appealing or if its just garbage now.

Used to love Crash Holly and the 24hr Hardcore Title;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfY9qUXmgdE

Also, Al Snow vs Big Bossman for the Hardcore title, with Road Dogg as the 'roving reporter' following them all over and outside the building, down the street and into a local bar;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B03Y3P1X0vU

The Bob Holly vs Al Snow hardcore match that ended up on the banks of the Mississippi;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmzxo9bc6S8

And the Raven vs Kane vs Big Show hardcore title 3-way at WM17, the stuff with the golf carts was so dumb, lol;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg2mvoiQRAo

1997. The entire fucking year was amazing across the entire board.

WWF - Was very dark and mature at the time with no clear cut baby face. Bret and HBK were pretty much hated and Stone Cold was just starting to get over. Realistic gang factions like the Nation and their feud with Ahmed was crazy good and Shamrock was there.

WcW - NWO was hitting its stride.

ECW - Hit its peak with Tommy Dreamer/Raven feud and than the WWF invasion feud. ECW was never really the same since 97 and the brand started getting toned down a bit

daycru

It was the combination of the best in ring performers and the biggest stars that made WCW untouchable for a couple of years. Still amazed by how quickly it all fall apart. And the fact that the architects of the disaster are still pulling down big money in wrestling.

Anth0ny

1997. The entire fucking year was amazing across the entire board.

WWF - Was very dark and mature at the time with no clear cut baby face. Bret and HBK were pretty much hated and Stone Cold was just starting to get over. Realistic gang factions like the Nation and their feud with Ahmed was crazy good and Shamrock was there.

The attitude era started in 1997. The whole "good guys vs bad guys" gimmick was a thing of the past. The people wanted to cheer for the bad guy. In came Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Not to mention the line between fiction and reality was blurred more than ever with the Shawn/Bret feud. The screwjob gave birth to the Mr. McMahon character, and the rest is history.

RBH

This DVD sucked out loud the only match that I remember that didn't suck was the Eddie Guerrero match. He put a great match on and the crowd was dead the entire time. One of the reasons I liked ECW was the fans, they actually had a pulse and appreciated a good match.

I really enjoyed DDP vs. Sting from that DVD. One of the few highlights of '99 WCW.

MattDoza

-Cruiserweights
-When Rey Mysterio did a lot of trick moves and got large air.

Juventud Guerrera, Psycosis, La Parka, Billy Kidman, Eddy Guerrerro(pre-roids), Dean Malenko...

I loved WCW almost exclusively for the Cruiserweight class.

la_parka.gif

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Wrestling is one of my favorite things about my childhood along with videogames and books, and I got to enjoy it it during the Attitude Era. A local TV station brought the shows weekly with about one month delay, but the show was always cut between segments. It goes without saying that having the spanish commentators (Hugo Savinovich and Carlos Cabrera) was a luxury.

Recently, I was thrilled when I got the chance to go to a RAW show in Chile and being in the same roof along with people like Shawn Michaels and Chris Jericho. I hope to someday see The Rock and Triple H in a live show.

Also, one of my least favorite moments: Owen Hart dying during Over The Edge :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXWoYRErgW4

In the spanish transmission, one of the commentators (Hugo) was translating the promo and the other one (Carlos) suddenly screams "Oh no!" as Owen fell (about 0:45, IIRC). And then there was silence from the spanish commentators until Jim Ross started to explain, well, you know the rest...

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
.Till he joined the Wolfpac. Then everything went to shit.
The Vampiro-Sting feud was so dumb and nearly ruined Sting for me, and he's my favorite wrestler ever along with Austin.

Wrestling will never be as good as the Atitude Era. I see some people clamoring for Sting to join the current WWE but I'm glad he hasn't since it's a shell of its former self.

Apoc87

Banned
Chris Jehrico's WWF Debut. "Countdown to The New Millenium". Never really liked Jehrico, but this entrance was fucking epic.

Hunter Hearst Helmsley marrying Stephanie McMahon.

Mankind vs. Undertaker Hell in a Cell.

WOLFPAC IN DA HOOOOOOOOUSE! AWOOOOOOO!!!

Good Times. Then Vince had to monopolize the game, and that's when things turned to shit.

The attitude era started in 1997. The whole "good guys vs bad guys" gimmick was a thing of the past. The people wanted to cheer for the bad guy. In came Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Not to mention the line between fiction and reality was blurred more than ever with the Shawn/Bret feud. The screwjob gave birth to the Mr. McMahon character, and the rest is history.

Also

The dark buildup to Kane at the end of the year

The Canada vs USA feud was pretty heated as I remember

The characters were very believable for what they were, for example the Mankind character was best during this period (pre Socko) and the Goldust character peaked during 97.

DX was born and was not the watered down goofy version they kept reviving.

Many fans say 1998 was the best year, but I think it was a lot more cartoony than 1997. I prefer 1997 as the best.

MattDoza

Chris Jehrico's WWF Debut. "Countdown to The New Millenium". Never really liked Jehrico, but this entrance was fucking epic.

Hunter Hearst Helmsley marrying Stephanie McMahon.

Mankind vs. Undertaker Hell in a Cell.

WOLFPAC IN DA HOOOOOOOOUSE! AWOOOOOOO!!!

Good Times. Then Vince had to monopolize the game, and that's when things turned to shit.

I remember being so scared of Mankind. My older(much bigger)brother used to pin me and threaten to do that fingers to the mouth thing. Such a weird character.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Lets see..

Brett vs Stone Cold at W13
Dreamer Raven feud
Hall and Nash jumping everyone backstage before coming out as nWo
Sting going mute
can't really remember anything else at the moment..although i know there were many other great moments.

I still remember that night when WWF invaded WCW and Shane said WCW was over and it was shown on both channels, made me go D: D: D:

lol i loved Gilberg , such a random spoof of goldberg, we never got Gilberg vs Goldberg :(

mxgt

Banned
The end of Backlash 2000 where Stone Cold returned and helped the Rock win the title was the best thing I've ever seen in wrasslin. dem pops

edit: found it! so fucking good

also, anything with heel stone cold was absolutely golden

Apoc87

Banned
I remember being so scared of Mankind. My older(much bigger)brother used to pin me and threaten to do that fingers to the mouth thing. Such a weird character.

I did the same thing to my little brother. I'm 24, and he's 19 now. I think I actually stuck the dirty sock (mr socko) in his mouth a couple of times.
I was a peice of shit kid

One time I pissed my mom off really bad, and she had my dad hold me down. She got a dirty sock and told my little brother to "stick that sock in his mouth, for all of the times he did it to you!"

My little brother couldn't bring himself to do it. He told mom he respected me too much even after all the bullshit I put him through.

I love my little brother, and we haven't really had an argument since.

Wrestling is one of those things to me that has just aged so bad in the modern world. The business has been completely exposed through the internet and the wrestlers break character now more than ever. Its one of those business that had to be protected. Guys like Verne Gagne, Vince Sr and Vince Jr (till the early 2000's) pretty much prided themselves on keeping it sacred. Twitter, Interwebs and dirt sheets destroyed it to me not to mention the current roster is full of duds outside a select VERY few...like 3 guys. I don't know if its the in ring talent but the actual in ring work is terribly bad. I can call spots from miles away and the wrestlers themselves just lack in ring charisma that many of the older wrestlers from the 90's had.

Its not even about being PG. If WWE went back to the Attitude Era it would still suck just as much. If WWE wants to expand than they should go back to the basics....WRASSLIN. Good in ring believable matches that are not predictable. Keep all the story telling in the ring like in the late 80's early 90's. Make it look like the actual wrestlers WANT to win the matches.

izakq

Mick Foley wins the title for the first time. Crowd goes crazy when Austin comes out, crowd goes berserk when Foley wins the title. The crowds were so into it and go apeshit for about anything, compared to today.

McNei1y

I did the same thing to my little brother. I'm 24, and he's 19 now. I think I actually stuck the dirty sock (mr socko) in his mouth a couple of times.
I was a peice of shit kid

One time I pissed my mom off really bad, and she had my dad hold me down. She got a dirty sock and told my little brother to "stick that sock in his mouth, for all of the times he did it to you!"

My little brother couldn't bring himself to do it. He told mom he respected me too much even after all the bullshit I put him through.

I love my little brother, and we haven't really had an argument since.

lol I loved being a child and wrestling with my brother. My brother pedigreed me on my floor face first and I bled from my nose and mouth.

I also did the swanton bomb on my brother jumping off my couch and getting some serious air. I probably could've hurt myself pretty bad but that was so badass.

Ah, good times.

Floex

People who are saying WCW was shit
facepalm.gif

So many great moments

Goldenberg beating Scott Hall and then later in the night to beat Hogan for the belt. That pop!

Booker T/Scott Steiner feud (When Steiner could actually wrestle well)

Booker T/Benoit Best of 7

DDP Vs Goldberg

Billy Kidman Vs Rey Mysterio

Starcade 97

Spring Stampede 99 was perhaps one of the greatest PPV's I remember watching. So many great matches. Especially the 3 way tag

As for WWF, Royal Rumble 2000, again, one of the top PPV's. The start of the Hardy's/Dudley's/Edge and Cristian Feud, Cactus Jack/HHH, Tazz's debut against Angle

Such good times, now I could hardly give a crap about wrestling. Makes me a little sad saying that :(

shoplifter

Mick Foley wins the title for the first time. Crowd goes crazy when Austin comes out, crowd goes berserk when Foley wins the title. The crowds were so into it and go apeshit for about anything, compared to today.

That'll put butts in seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom