• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killjoys: Season 3 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

GavinUK86

ezgif-1-71efa91883.gif
w18HCDy.png

Season 3 starts Friday June 30th on Syfy!

Episodes:
Boondoggie - 301 Review
A Skinner, Darkly - 302 Review
The Hullen Have Eyes
The Lion, the Witch & the Warlord
Attack the Rack
Bug in an Elevator
The Wolf You Feed
Heist, Heist Baby
Reckoning Ball
Wargasm

Official Season 3 Trailer
Season 3: Dutch is Back

--------------------

hpK7Ey6.gif
wltsE1y.png

Season 2 starts July 1st on Syfy

Season 2 Trailer
Season 2 Extended Preview
Season 2 Opening Credits
The First 4 Minutes of Season 2 Episode 1

--------------------

F27apIG.gif
p7zM3BK.png

Killjoys follows a trio of hard-living but fun-loving bounty hunters – John, D'avin and Dutch – taking on interplanetary missions, chasing and capturing deadly criminals throughout a distant system, named the Quad. During such missions, they have sworn between each other to remain neutral at the prospect of a bloody, multi-planetary class war, threatening to destroy the Quad.

--------------------

Luke Macfarlane as D'avin
D'avin is many things – handsome, uber masculine, sarcastic, incredibly loyal – but he is one thing above all: a born soldier. He dreamed of enlisting since boyhood, and his hard-won expertise in tactics, maneuvers and hand-to-hand combat make him an instant asset to the Killjoy team.

Hannah John-Kamen as Dutch
A gorgeous, complicated and deadly flirt, Dutch is bold and fun loving on the surface. She has a unique gift for earning people's trust and respect regardless of their class. But under her banter and protective flirtations, there is pain, maturity, and a deep solemnity. As close friends as she is with John when we first meet them, she has always withheld a part of herself, a history of which she is deeply ashamed.

Aaron Ashmore as John Jaqobis
John is dyslexic with learning and reading disabilities and was labeled as “stupid” all of his life. He is not. Decisively. Give this man any mech, any tech, and he can fix-it-build-it-fly it. Just don’t ask him to read the instructions. Or to believe that he’s actually intelligent. OK yeah, John has some self-esteem issues but one thing he's completely sure of is his devotion to his fellow teammates.

--------------------

Trailer
First 4 minutes
Syfy.com - Welcome to the world of the Killjoys

Wiktor

As I said in other thread first ep was fun. Sympathetic leads (especially John), nice world full of possibilities and badass big bad from lead girls' past. Damn nice premiere, especially for this type of a show.

TraBuch

Banned
Huh, the female lead voiced Sweet Shalquoir in Dark Souls 2.

But yeah, really enjoyed the first episode. And none of the characters annoy the shit out of me yet, which is more than I can say for Dark Matter.

aku:jiki

I enjoyed it, was fun
this is so getting cancelled after this season
Considering the negative levels of hype, yeah, this show is already done.

I liked it well enough. It was a little spastic and all over the place, but hopefully that was just trying to squeeze a lot of content into the pilot. I really liked that they went planet (well, moon) hopping in the first episode.

Vito

Banned
First episode was fun, I don't get why people complain so much. I'm not saying criticism is unwarranted, but damn if most of the scifi shows we love aren't kinda flawed and started off even worse.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Watched this and thought it was decent. Not great but good enough for me to tune in again. First 20 mins I kept thinking "Is that the guy who played Iceman?". It looked like him but something seemed a little off to me. So I had to look it up on IMDB and found out it was his twin lol. I had no idea that guy had a twin brother.

fates

I try not to get too excited about Syfy shows anymore... because chances are they will get cancelled. Seriously, has there been a show they DIDN'T end via cancellation?

Wiktor

I try not to get too excited about Syfy shows anymore... because chances are they will get cancelled. Seriously, has there been a show they DIDN'T end via cancellation?

Most shows end in cancelation. But Syfy often at leasts gives a short order of episodes for the writers to wrap up the storylines.

I enjoyed it, was fun
this is so getting cancelled after this season
These days I think nothing ends canceled after season on Syfy. It seems they give two seasons to pretty much everything.

awful.

I knew the moment I saw what 'the quads' actually stood for. Like, wow, this is going to be one of those shows and subsequently tried, tried, and tried some more to be as hip as possible, check all those neat little boxes, while doing nothing of value. Cancel.

RetroMG

As someone else said, most of them get at least a chance to wrap up their storylines. Warehouse 13 and Eureka did, at least. Haven is still going, which baffles me personally, but my wife loves it.

Watched the first episode tonight, and I enjoyed it. Had a nice Firefly sort of vibe without actually being at all like Firefly. I'm going to keep watching.

GavinUK86

awful.

I knew the moment I saw what 'the quads' actually stood for. Like, wow, this is going to be one of those shows and subsequently tried, tried, and tried some more to be as hip as possible, check all those neat little boxes, while doing nothing of value. Cancel.

LastBrokenHorsefly.gif

This was actually pretty enjoyable. Serviceable acting, great action sequences, good set design and budget. Basically the opposite of Dark Matters. I'm definitely signed up for more.

Kin5290

Liked it a lot. D'avin is a bit of a meathead but Dutch and John are both enjoyable and badass, and the action is pretty serviceable. This is much better than Dark Matter on pretty much every level, from cast to characters (who hey, actual charm and personality), character interactions and conflicts, dialogue writing and delivery, and fight choreography. Considering the pedigree of the respective show runners it's kind of embarrassing.

This was actually pretty enjoyable. Serviceable acting, great action sequences, good set design and budget. Basically the opposite of Dark Matters. I'm definitely signed up for more.

Liked it a lot. D'avin is a bit of a meathead but Dutch and John are both enjoyable and badass, and the action is pretty serviceable. This is much better than Dark Matter on pretty much every level, from cast to characters (who hey, actual charm and personality), character interactions and conflicts, dialogue writing and delivery, and fight choreography. Considering the pedigree of the respective show runners it's kind of embarrassing.

I know opinions and all but is this opposite day? Dark Matter is somewhat serviceable in all of these areas, Killjoy bored me to tears with it's acting, dialogue, character interactions, music and overall try hard attitude.
This is one of the worst pilot episodes I've ever seen. Hannah John-Kamen's acting is obnoxiously bad.

Kin5290

I know opinions and all but is this opposite day? Dark Matter is somewhat serviceable in all of these areas, Killjoy bored me to tears with it's acting, dialogue, character interactions, music and overall try hard attitude.
This is one of the worst pilot episodes I've ever seen.
I'm watching the second episode of Dark Matter right now and it's made a decent effort at not sucking (although I've heard less than stellar things about the action later in the episode), but I still think Killjoys is superior in every way that makes a TV show and TV show. The core trio actually has (varying degrees of) personality and charm (especially Dutch) and the interactions feel believable, while Dark Matter struggles to make 7 ciphers interesting where many shows struggle with one.

But hey, if you don't like a show it's your perogative.

I'm watching the second episode of Dark Matter right now and it's made a decent effort at not sucking (although I've heard less than stellar things about the action later in the episode), but I still think Killjoys is superior in every way that makes a TV show and TV show. The core trio actually has (varying degrees of) personality and charm (especially Dutch) and the interactions feel believable, while Dark Matter struggles to make 7 ciphers interesting where many shows struggle with one.

But hey, if you don't like a show it's your perogative.

So this really is opposite day. Thanks for confirming my suspicious.

Wiktor

So this really is opposite day. Thanks for confirming my suspicious.

So essentially you're going all out on:
1333550821473-267x300.jpg

?

Personally I think Dark Matter has bigger potential. Aside from Aaron Ashmore DM's has better actors and it seems like it also has a lot more room to grow stories-wise.
But while Killjoys seem like simplier and smaller show, I did enjoy the premiere more than either of Dark Matter episodes. It's just good old fashined SF fun. The characters are immiedietelly likable and John/Dutch have strong chemistry together. The world already has a lot of cool nifty ideas, in a way that reminds me of Farscape a lot.

So I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of S1 Dark Matter would end up better show out of the two, but for now I prefer Killjoys and I say that as somebody who has a plenty of fun with both shows.

obin_gam

Dark Matter was boring and uninteresting with characters impossible to like.
Just saw this pilot and was more entertained in the first five minutes in this than the entirety of the Dark matter pilot.

Happy to have at least one summer show to follow now :)

This is one of the worst pilot episodes I've ever seen. Hannah John-Kamen's acting is obnoxiously bad.

Crazy! I thought the acting in Killjoys felt natural, and the writing was solid, even funny in places. I don't mind the stylized slow-mo stuff. I'm probably less of a fan of the tropey older brother, but overall the interactions were believable and snappy. Dark Matter's acting is pretty much across-the-board wooden, and some of the writing is cringeworthy. I think a couple of the actors do a decent job with what they have to work with. As for the set, they've had what...two sets in two episodes; a factory and their ship? Killjoys had I think four or five in one episode, and have already introduced interesting side characters to flesh out the world. And the props and effects in Killjoys just look better. It's obvious Killjoys has a bigger budget, and I wonder what the politics behind that is considering Dark Matter has Stargate people behind it. But that extra budget does make a big difference.

Anyway, I'm glad we all have some sci-fi worth watching again.

Wiktor

I don't remeber telling anyone they're not allowed to like thing so I'm not sure how you ended up with that impression.
My opinion is the complete opposite of everything they said, which Is why I replied.

Umm...I see what's the problem. Opposite day doesn't mean what you think it means. On opposite day you say exact opposite of what you yourself think. So when you commented with that under somebody praising the show it came off as you were accusing them of trolling with fake praise.

Great episode 2. I'm really liking this show. Nice mixture of well-paced action and humor, with a bit of mystery thrown in. Funny that they have a better idea of what made SG1 great than the SG-pedigree Dark Matter.

Kin5290

Yeah, take in mind that you can't do Black Hawk Down on a basic cable budget, but that was pretty good. The dynamic between the main three (plus Lucy) is great, and that ending was a real wham moment.

Alucard

Banned
Liking this show a fair bit. More than Dark Matter, which seems far too wooden in terms of performances and dialogue so far.

Enosh

man this was kinda brutal, off screen brutal, but having your face burned off or suffocating to death is a shit way to go

liked the episode too, will be a fun season if they keep the quality around this mark ^^

GavinUK86

Yeah, take in mind that you can't do Black Hawk Down on a basic cable budget, but that was pretty good. The dynamic between the main three (plus Lucy) is great, and that ending was a real wham moment.

Lucy is my favourite character on the show. Love witty, sarcastic AI's.

Kin5290

man this was kinda brutal, off screen brutal, but having your face burned off or suffocating to death is a shit way to go

liked the episode too, will be a fun season if they keep the quality around this mark ^^
Also being cut open while still alive.

Kin5290

I think the big thing is that the crew in Killjoy already feels like a crew, and the chemistry between Dutch, Johnny, D'avin, and Lucy is already there and feels natural. Plus, Lucy > Android as far as snarky AIs go.

It also helps that there's no forced chemistry-free romantic bullshit a la One/Two in Dark Matter.

The actress who plays Dutch is pretty impressive considering how young she is. She has the kind of confidence and command presence that allows her to convincingly be the boss/big sister to a guy who's 10 years older than she is.

Yado

This show has been ok so far. I don't have any complaints except for the font they use and that terrible music that plays throughout action scenes.

Alucard

Banned
I'm enjoying this right now. I'm thrilled that we can get this level of quality in a sci-fi show in 2015, and that this level of production is pretty much a guarantee with all sci-fi shows moving forward. Dark Matter has picked it up as well with the character doubles reveal.

Enosh

this show can be so bizarre at times

you have that quirky humor and banter paired up with women getting stabbed through the neck in a surprising level of detail, a chick becoming a suicide bomber to save her friends and a guy slowly being fried to death by electricity and blowing up in the end into bloody chunks

I'm enjoying it (a lot more that i thought i would even) but it feels at times like the people writing the dialogue are different from the people writing the action scenes ^^

Sober

You can tell how little they have on set design. I don't know if I was sold on those building hallways masquerading as spaceship hallways. Guessing there won't be any of those anytime soon otherwise they'd probably have built a set that look more like a spaceship interior to use again and again. Otherwise it pulled off the other rooms well enough all things considered. I did like the episode.

The only one thing that bothered me again with the nuns episode the last week were those dumb hallways again. Also just using a grenade to sacrifice yourself to blow up three dudes and everyone else sticking around and not actually driving off as it went off was a little silly; didn't seem like much of a diversion in that sense. So not sure what happened there.

Still really enjoying the friday SyFy block of Defiance, Killjoys, and Dark Matter although week to week I mix up which order I watch stuff - only watched Killjoys this week so far.

After 20 seasons of Trek/TNG, Stargate, Farscape, B5, etc pretty much every story plot has already been done but its nice to see them apply modern day science ideas to current episodes. I fully expected them to be infected with a virus that makes them hallucinate people/situations after a few minutes of watching, but I loved the idea of a military ship that goes bonkers and nanites that torture/heal forever, although they missed the step of needing some raw material for the nanites to do its thing. Minor quibble.

Hope all 3 shows get renewed soon for another season, they are worth it. Its crazy to think right now I am enjoying the SyFy channel far more than HBO. Hopefully WestWorld next year on HBO is a huge hit and convinces them to invest in more scifi shows, they are the channel that I think could really make the next huge mass appeal hit ala Game of Thrones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom