• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killjoys: Season 3 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is no one doing a Season 3 OT?

I thought it was an interesting and overall good premiere. I still don't like Johnny split up from the team, but his new sidekick seems cool. Pree (the bartender) still seems out of place in the anti-Hullen gang, but Fancy is a good fit. CG seemed uneven; some shots were low-budget, but a few things were really nice. Humor also felt a bit off, but maybe it's because Johnny and Dutch always played off each other well.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like the show gets a lot of replies, which is why I just kept posting in here.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like the show gets a lot of replies, which is why I just kept posting in here.

If I get time I'll try to whip up an OT. This show deserves that much at least. Lack of replies is certainly not a barrier considering Orphan Black's new season OT is only on page 2 after four episodes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If I get time I'll try to whip up an OT. This show deserves that much at least. Lack of replies is certainly not a barrier considering Orphan Black's new season OT is only on page 2 after four episodes.
There's nothing stopping people from making OTs. It's just knowing that no one will post in it that sort of kills it.

Love the S3 poster. Finally caught the premier. Was going to wait till the entire season was done but couldnt resist and I only binged and caught up 2 months ago, can't imagine the wait for the rest of you. S2 ending song with the introduction of Aneela aboard the Hullen ship still gives me chills.

An OT would be great but anywhere I can talk about the series would be great. No one is talking about it. I want rampant speculation and fan theories like other popular series. This is such an underappreciated gem.

More about the episode though:
I wonder what's up with D'avin. Given the ending, accessing the Hullen ship and disappearing like that. I'm thinking a Hullen wearing his skin, so they have someone on Dutch's team. Which is why they introduced that concept earlier in the episode, hope I'm wrong and they have something even better in mind for D'avin. Though the concept seems really interesting. Totally thought the guy was going to be a robot considering all the hackmods then we see the plasma. Good stuff.

So these chemical beacons, they just report the location of other plasma pools found by Johnny? All that about attracting Hullen was BS for the black market guy to spread as bait to "attract" them?

Ep 2 - A lot of twists this episodes with Dutch/D'Avin nerd recruitment mission and Johnny learning what happened to Clara.

Cool seeing Alec from Continuum pop up as one of the tech guys.

Also nice to see the gang back together at the end.

I'm still really curious as to why Dutch looks like Aneela.

Ricker

This show is good,I like it as much as Dark Matter...the slowly building team is pretty cool and almost everyone is enjoyable,even the Mod guy with the ugly dirt kind of face...the ending was promising also.

This show is good,I like it as much as Dark Matter...the slowly building team is pretty cool and almost everyone is enjoyable,even the Mod guy with the ugly dirt kind of face...the ending was promising also.

I believe the actor was in a fire that scarred him and a lot of the hackmod characters are actual people with prosthetics in real life.

Haha! Totally did not expect Aneela to sound like that. Was expecting Dutch's accent for some reason :/

Didn't see it being a VR sim coming, what a twist! I kept thinking the tech girl may have figured out D'avin was wearing a skin suit or something. Was disappointed they didn't recruit her, so glad to see Dutch paid her a visit.

Season is off to a good start in my book. Seeing Alec from Continuum makes me want to rewatch the show now!

GavinUK86

There's nothing stopping people from making OTs. It's just knowing that no one will post in it that sort of kills it.

Just get the OP updated and title changed. This was originally the season 1 thread.

I could update this one with S3 stuff but it's usually dead in here that's why I haven't bothered.

Update: Cornballer changed the title for me and I've updated it with new images and info.

Great episode. The VR fakeout was handled deftly. It's a shame that Olli is not sticking around, but I'm so glad to see Johnny back with the team.

I wonder how the ratings are doing this season. People are really sleeping on this show.

I believe the actor was in a fire that scarred him and a lot of the hackmod characters are actual people with prosthetics in real life.

Wow, you weren't kidding. Niko (the gorgeous Viktoria Modesta) has a real prosthetic. That's really cool that they chose to go that route.
prototype-leg-prosthetics-viktoria-modesta-3.jpg

^^^Yeah, I wasn't aware of her before the show. It's cool they featured them and it wouldn't surprise me if they pop back up later in the season.

D'Avin's abilities continue to manifest themselves in beneficial ways. Him being able to control the ships should come in handy.

Aneela is terrifying. I like her partnership with Delle Sayeh though.

JackDT

Gave this show a second chance and finally clicked.

I didn't like the "we are badass bounty hunters, here's a scene with us being super badass, with this rocking music" vibe I got originally so the premise didn't grab me. But the show continued world and character building and the execution is generally competent. I really like some of the minor characters like the The Company officer who was sitting in the bar at the end of Season 1. And they get a lot of bang for the buck out of what is probably small budget (better than say Dark Matter where the sets really look like sets).

On the SyFy network I liked both The Expanse and The Magicians more than this, but this edges out Dark Matter even though I was much more interested in the DM premise (terrible people who lose their memory, become different people, and make the choice not to get their memories back.) This show executes better.

Honestly, I'd been watching it alongside Dark Matter, but I wasn't crazy about Killjoys until around the end of last season. Now I think I like it more than Dark Matter. That may also be because it feels like DM has lost a bit of steam since the first two seasons.

Another good episode. The guy playing the Last Seer wasn't the best of actors, but I liked how it showed the Hullen aren't single-minded, faceless, unemotional alien baddies. He was looking out for himself, but being trapped there for 30 years he also became emotionally attached the humans he wasn't supposed to care about.

I'm not really liking Delle in this new role with Neela. I didn't like her character that much to begin with, and her attempts to manipulate Neela are second-rate and formulaic.

This show doesn't have a big budget (a crime) and it's easy to tell, but they really a great job with what they have. That shot of the blood against all the white was really striking.

I didn't like the "we are badass bounty hunters, here's a scene with us being super badass, with this rocking music" vibe I got originally so the premise didn't grab me. But the show continued world and character building and the execution is generally competent.

The show is stylish and sexy, and I think some sci-fi fans interpret that as "dumbed down". But it was never dumb; the writing has continually smart and funny, plays with some interesting ideas, and having a woman as the creator and showrunner gives it a fresh perspective. I mean sure, it revels in a good action romp now and again, but it does so in a way that doesn't treat the audience like they're stupid.

Johnny has really blue eyes.

I really like the relationship between Dutch and Johnny, one of the best parts of the show.

It's good to see the war against the Hullen looks to be heating up.

Great episode. Pree's character works much better when he has his own shit going on, instead of just part of a team like earlier in the season. One of my favorite characters, and I love that they're able to do gay storylines with no "specialness" about it, it just is. You don't really see that on other sci-fi shows.

Dutch and Johnny working out their problems was much-needed, and really shows how good they are with character development on this show.

Oh my goodness. That was quite a scene there at the end.

Delle Sayeh always seemed to have a thing for Dutch and Aneela looks just like her.

A really intense episode tonight, with the war against the Hullen really ramping up. Some unexpected casualties as well.

I feel D'Avin might end up being the key to taking down the Hullen.

Dutch being badass and resourceful is always great to see.

Another great episode. A bit questionable that some newbie could somehow reach out to the Hullen and strike a deal, but I'll go with it. I hope Fancy doesn't leave the team; he's a badass and funny to boot. Was sad to see the Rack chief get taken out. Sloppy work by Dutch there, and you would've thought she would've detected a lack of super-strength when fighting her.

I find all the Hullen ship squabbling really boring, and I don't think the writers are doing a very good job of making Aneela feel like a fleshed-out character. The Hullen in general are pretty good baddies though. I loved the guy who captured Johnny and D'avin.

A lot of intriguing elements set up tonight, especially concerning Aneela and the Hullen.

The fact she isn't completely in charge and the Hullen have been using her is intriguing. And now it looks like they may have got what they wanted, with Gander using it on Delle Sayeh.

Seeming Aneela really use her force powers was cool to see.

Also the bit about Khylen having Dutch's/Aneela's DNA stored in the sphere. The mythology of the show is really intriguing. Can't wait to see next weeks episode.

The whole green goop force powers angle is a bit cheesy IMO, but I really like the direction they're taking with the storyline. I'm still not totally on board with Aneela as a character, but the twist was really interesting. I also love that this show continues to not let characters off easily, and always shows that choices have consequences. And doing a murder mystery plot is well-tread material, but they made it interesting.

Mindlog

I'm still a couple of episodes behind, but I've enjoyed the hell out of this season. For me the show stands tall above all the other shows on the network. My primary enjoyment comes from the level of what I can only describe as 'self-confidence' the show exudes. It knows exactly what it is, it knows I know and we're both just moving on and enjoying what comes next. This will often include an interesting twist or somewhat more poignant moment. I'm not saying they're all of comparable quality, but my mind immediately draws comparisons to Mr. Robot and Atlanta. 'This is me are you in or are you out?'

Finding out about the origin of Dutch was crazy. It puts a whole new spin on Dutch's war against Aneela. Aneela and Khylen really had a messed up relationship.

Ehh not a huge fan of that origin story, dutch seeming to abdicate the war she started, or the RAC dude going all Trump on the ex-Hullen. I assume its setups for the last few episodes of the season.

Killjoys (and DM) got its renewal news on Sept 1st last year right before the season finale, the season finale this year airs Sept 1st.

Ehh not a huge fan of that origin story, dutch seeming to abdicate the war she started, or the RAC dude going all Trump on the ex-Hullen. I assume its setups for the last few episodes of the season.

Yeah, I agree with all of that. I also don't really understand the relationship between Khylen and Aneela. Was he a father figure, but not actually her father? There was this weird erotic undertone going on between them.

And I thought the straggly-hair guy was always a dick, but he never seemed like that kind of a dick. Kind of liked him, so it's a shame they wrote him that way.

I did like the flashback to Dutch and Johnny's first meeting though, and the new nerd is growing on me a bit.

Yeah, I agree with all of that. I also don't really understand the relationship between Khylen and Aneela. Was he a father figure, but not actually her father? There was this weird erotic undertone going on between them.

And I thought the straggly-hair guy was always a dick, but he never seemed like that kind of a dick. Kind of liked him, so it's a shame they wrote him that way.

I did like the flashback to Dutch and Johnny's first meeting though, and the new nerd is growing on me a bit.

Khylen was Aneela's father.

Dutch is ready to pay the ultimate price in the war against the Hullen, but I can't see it coming to that.

This mysterious "lady" becomes more intriguing.

This mysterious "lady" becomes more intriguing.

Yeah, has a very Event Horizon / Prince of Darkness vibe to it, where some entity is trapped in another dimension and Aneela mentioned she now knows about "the door", wonder if its going to resolve this season or if its setup for next season.

Cool overall story though, even though its not quite coming together in a clean flowing way - the Jelco stuff was just kinda weird and felt off pace - overall I really like the buildup of another shadowy villain behind everything.

I didn't quite get what Gandry (?) was scared about at the end, getting other hullen crushed up and injected into him? I guess he's gonna be turned into a slave hullen, controlled by Aneela?

Yeah, has a very Event Horizon / Prince of Darkness vibe to it, where some entity is trapped in another dimension and Aneela mentioned she now knows about "the door", wonder if its going to resolve this season or if its setup for next season.

Cool overall story though, even though its not quite coming together in a clean flowing way - the Jelco stuff was just kinda weird and felt off pace - overall I really like the buildup of another shadowy villain behind everything.

I didn't quite get what Gandry (?) was scared about at the end, getting other hullen crushed up and injected into him? I guess he's gonna be turned into a slave hullen, controlled by Aneela?

Yeah, Gandry was one of the Hullen who had free will. Now he will be just another puppet.

I'm guessing "The Lady" stuff will really come into play next season, hopefully the show gets one.

Is it just me or was Dutch acting more like Aneela this episode? I feel like some of Aneela's personality got injected into her. Also, Aneela created Dutch, a memory of herself. Why would she want her dead? Because she blames Dutch for her father's death?

I felt a bit meh about this episode. It was in part a heist episode which I really missed from the first season, but it just wasn't the same. I guess I'm just really not into the whole green goo super-aliens plotline, it feels reminiscent of so many other bad sci-fi shows. They had something really special when it was just the Killjoys in this realistic future with great characters and great worldbuilding. It just seems kind of generic and over-the-top now, like something from a videogame plot.

Epcott

I've seen a commercial or two and was interested in this, but unfortunately, I don't see season 1 or 2 on Hulu or Netflix. Is it worth watching previous seasons through... other means? Or can I just jump right in?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I've seen a commercial or two and was interested in this, but unfortunately, I don't see season 1 or 2 on Hulu or Netflix. Is it worth watching previous seasons through... other means? Or can I just jump right in?
Not sure about season 1 since I jumped in at the start of season 2 and never got around to watching it, but I highly recommend watching season 2. I feel like jumping in directly to S3 you'd miss a huge part of the show since the central plot of season 3 is directly tied to the events of season 2.

If you have a cable sub, the SYFY app has all the episodes available with commercials.

Epcott

SyFy has all three seasons available for streaming on their website.

http://www.syfy.com/killjoys/episodes

EDIT: But yeah, as pointed out in the post below mine, a cable subscription is required.

Oh sweet, thanks!

Not sure about season 1 since I jumped in at the start of season 2 and never got around to watching it, but I highly recommend watching season 2. I feel like jumping in directly to S3 you'd miss a huge part of the show since the central plot of season 3 is directly tied to the events of season 2.

If you have a cable sub, the SYFY app has all the episodes available with commercials.

Unfortunately, my landlord has the cable info and I don't have access to the login. Fortunately, I can watch the show via the website without issue via phone.

Is this actually the final season? It's starting to feel like it.

Pretty sure Johnny got played like a fiddle there, but not sure why Aneela would want her miracle baby in enemy hands.

I have to admit I am pretty confused about the ending of the last episode

why did Dutch shank the scarback dude

That wasn't Dutch.

Really happy to see the show renewed for 2 more season, especially after what I thought was a really good season finale.

I'm really curious as to what "The Lady" will actually look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom