• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kai Cole, Joss Whedon's Ex-Wife, calls him out as a 'Hypocrite Preaching Feminism'

Goodstyle

Stunning blog post

I’ve been asked some questions by the press recently about my divorce from Joss Whedon, to whom I was married for 16 years. There is misinformation out there and I feel the best way to clear up the situation is to tell my truth. Let me begin by saying I am a very private person and the act of writing this is antithetical to who I am and everything I stand for. Yet, at the same time, I feel compelled to go on the record and clear up some misperceptions. I don’t think it is fair to me or other women to remain silent any longer.

I was with him when his “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” script was adapted, and the resulting movie released. It was painful to see how his vision was interpreted by the production team and on our honeymoon to England in 1995, I urged him to figure out how to turn it into a TV show. He didn’t want to work in television anymore, following in his father’s and grandfather’s footsteps, but I convinced him it was the fastest way to get the experience he needed, so he could direct his own films someday. I had no idea, in that lovely garden in Bath, that it would change everything.

There were times in our relationship that I was uncomfortable with the attention Joss paid other women. He always had a lot of female friends, but he told me it was because his mother raised him as a feminist, so he just liked women better. He said he admired and respected females, he didn’t lust after them. I believed him and trusted him. On the set of “Buffy,” Joss decided to have his first secret affair.

Fifteen years later, when he was done with our marriage and finally ready to tell the truth, he wrote me, “When I was running ‘Buffy,’ I was surrounded by beautiful, needy, aggressive young women. It felt like I had a disease, like something from a Greek myth. Suddenly I am a powerful producer and the world is laid out at my feet and I can’t touch it.” But he did touch it. He said he understood, “I would have to lie — or conceal some part of the truth — for the rest of my life,” but he did it anyway, hoping that first affair, “would be ENOUGH, that THEN we could move on and outlast it.”

Joss admitted that for the next decade and a half, he hid multiple affairs and a number of inappropriate emotional ones that he had with his actresses, co-workers, fans and friends, while he stayed married to me.

My entire reality changed overnight, and I went from being a strong, confident woman, to a confused, frightened mess. I was eventually diagnosed with Complex PTSD and for the last five years, I have worked hard to make sense of everything that happened and find my balance again. It has not been easy, because even though in my personal life I have been completely open about what happened, publicly people only know his superficial presentation of us: him as the lovable geek-feminist and me in the background, as his wife and supporter.

We’re finally divorced; I’m doing architecture again, and slowly getting my life and self-esteem back.

Until recently, Joss was still letting the illusion of our marriage stay intact. Now that it is finally public, I want to let women know that he is not who he pretends to be. I want the people who worship him to know he is human, and the organizations giving him awards for his feminist work, to think twice in the future about honoring a man who does not practice what he preaches. But no matter what happens, or how people interpret this statement, I no longer have to carry the burden of Joss’ long-term deceit and confessions. I am free.

Read the whole blog, it's shocking, shocking stuff. As a life long Whedon fan, this depresses me to my core.

EDIT: I should have included Joss Whedon team's response. My bad guys:

Editor’s Note: A spokesperson for Joss Whedon provided the following response, “While this account includes inaccuracies and misrepresentations which can be harmful to their family, Joss is not commenting, out of concern for his children and out of respect for his ex-wife.”

Volimar

I'm not putting Whedon on a pedestal here, but let's remember that these are the words of someone who says she was cheated on and so may have an axe to grind when it comes to Joss.

13-joss-whedon-avengers.w750.h560.2x.jpg
hmm

traveler

Not Wario
Wasn't there some uneasy stuff around his portrayal of women in superhero screenplays? I feel like this isn't the first time I've heard troubling things about Whedon in regards to feminism; obviously, this is far worse. Disappointing. :(

joss, what the fuck

Yeah, not a doctor or a, uh, Greek mythologist, but thirst isn't some special disease Joss....

- J - D -

His history with feminism in his works have always been dicey at best so I'm inclined to believe this. Still, I'm not quite ready to outright condemn him yet. Need more seedy deets.

Volimar

Wasn't there some uneasy stuff around his women in his superhero screenplays? I feel like this isn't the first time I've heard troubling things about Whedon in regards to feminism; obviously, this is far worse. Disappointing. :(

Yeah, some definite objectification. At the time, people passed it off as him saying it to sell the screenplays, but after this...

Moff

What does infidelity have to do with feminism?

I wondered that as well. Are feminists supposed to be flawless people? Does your feminist card get pulled if you cheat on a woman?
Not that I'd care much about Whedon, I don't even think I liked anything he did except maybe firefly.

DD-11

Not to discredit this, but it's important to remember that this is her side of the story and she just got out of a divorce.

Most of my exes have nothing good to say about me.

Jarmel

Banned
What does infidelity have to do with feminism?
Cheating in of itself doesn't really matter but the fact that he was in a position of power over some of the women is really disturbing. Also this quote is pretty damn bad.
When I was running ‘Buffy,’ I was surrounded by beautiful, needy, aggressive young women. It felt like I had a disease, like something from a Greek myth.

It is important though to remember this is a bitter ex-wife so take with grain of salt until further confirmation.

Not really surprised. There have always been actresses given prominent bits in his various shows that seemed to fit the part of "muse he was probably shtupping"

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I know the rumors have been around for years, but now they're confirmed.

Shrug. His fans are gunna hate him hard and this doesn't bode well for his work with D.C. It'll have a bad stench on them. They're is no disputing that.

He is an asshole for cheating on her for so many years. But does cheating on your spouse negate your claim to being a feminist? I'm sure there are a great many feminists, of both genders, that have cheated. Right? And besides, doesn't Whedon's work speak for itself? I'm currently watching Buffy and it's pretty feminist so far.

TraBuch

Banned
There's absolutely zero surprise in a famous person that spends months away from home cheating. Not that that makes it alright, but I don't think it's shocking at all.

dream

Not to discredit this, but it's important to remember that this is her side of the story and she just got out of a divorce.

Most of my exes have nothing good to say about me.

Yeah. And opening with "I don't want to talk about this, but let me tell you what a piece of shit he is" reeks of spite.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The Greek thing plus the Wonder Woman script he did is not painting a good picture of him.

It looks hypocritical to say you respect women when you repeatedly and habitually disrespect the one woman you committed to hold above all others.

Cheating on your partner has nothing to do with feminism.

At the very least, if it invovles having sex without protection, it means you are making choices for the other party about them getting exposed to disease.

And yet it still has nothing to do with feminism.

Savitar

DC will be thrilled if this blows up big.

Either way there is one thing that must be done!

*Gets popcorn and a good chair*

If you pay attention in Buffy and Angel it is really apparent.

Dude had a hard-on for punishing his women characters whenever they had sex.

Being a horny serial cheater isn't really unfeminist, the whole "denied me the right to make decisions about my body based on the truth" line seems like an attempt to make a larger issue of an essentially personal problem.

besada

Banned
I'm not particularly interested in who Whedon had sex with, or what his ex-wife thinks of him. I don't think either of these things is any of my business, and I'm neither shocked, nor particularly surprised that Whedon cheated repeatedly on his wife. Nor does it make me think his opinions were wrong, because he didn't live up to his own ideals. Very few people do.

Top Bottom