• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Reveals Samaritan Processing Requirements: 10x 360 at 1080p, (4.4x 360 at 720p)

How can hardware that is 2x 360 run Samaritian? And even if it could, I expect their next gen title to be a Microsoft exclusive once again. Being the lead platform for UE3 basically won them this HD gen, for the next gen they already have CryEngine 3 for Ryse (which will be a next Xbox launch title, MMW) and they will just continue the healthy relationship with Epic.

AMD guy said the GPU for Wii U was ~1 TFlop

Chittagong

Gold Member
Shit just got real

We have now a proxy for next gen graphics in Samaritan. Wii U will be able to do Samaritan in 720P as it is over 1 TFLOPS. good lord, think of what 720 and PS4 will be able to do then

No wonder Epic is hyped!

Hype

3189e84d4839ed24f30a5d4d8d1e2fa2c097b688.png

Siri huh?

Hmm, I wonder if the ipad is going to kill consoles just like smarphones have killed handhelds =p

The ipad 3 is rumored to have some pretty nice specs after all. =)

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
40" and fairly close. I play both console and PC games on it. Even from a more reasonable distance the difference is large when running something at the native 1080p resolution of my tv.

Assuming you had perfect eyesight on a 40" TV you would have to be sitting 5 feet or less from it to fully resolve 1080p. That's REALLY close. 7 1/2" is where you would fully resolve 720p.

The point though is not whether a 1080p image will look better than a 720p image if both had the same IQ processed applied, because it WILL given the other factors we mentioned. The question is, on a finite amount of processing power, would a 720p image with full IQ processing look better than a 1080p image with half the quality? I definitely think so.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Shit just got real

We have now a proxy for next gen graphics in Samaritan. Wii U will be able to do Samaritan in 720P as it is over 1 TFLOPS. good lord, think of what 720 and PS4 will be able to do then

No wonder Epic is hyped!

Hype

"Like water on fish."

Darkkn

I'm not too worried about not getting 1080p games on next gen consoles. 720p looks really good if the source image is good quality. Just watched Walle on 720p stream and the image looks 100x better than current games at 1080p :)

Every new rumour and anecdote pushes me more and more towards PC only.

Console exclusives are too good to pass up. I couldn't imagine missing out on a next gen Souls game, if there isn't a PC release.

Something about this reveal leads me to think he could be dropping a hint. Are we to guess they know 4.4x 360 is around the Wii-U specs, and 10x is the next-xbox ? It would be great if it can handle that in 1080p/30 and Wii-U can do Samaritan at 720p or just slightly sub-HD.

Postman

Banned
Why do you guys act as if you know exactly what the all three consoles will contain next gen?

What happens if all three console are even? What if the next xbox/PS pulls a Wii?

Krilekk

Banned
There was earlier reports the Wii-U would be 5x powerful as Xbox 360

That is simply not possible for several reasons. Like the size of the Wii U. And it wouldn't even be necessary. Just look at how many people here are saying they don't want the next gen in 2012 or even 2013, they are happy with 360 graphics. Nintendo will do a console for the casual again. This time for the casual that have bought an HDTV. The Wii U will be profitable for them and it will be at most $250. Why should Nintendo change what worked so great for them this gen and release a powerful console? When was the last time the most powerful console was also the market leader? Not in the last decade. Price is important. And strategy. Nintendo still believes in those short 5 year cycles whereas Sony and Microsoft prefer ten year cycles.

Oh and why would they be so shy about their performance if it was that good? Their key selling point at E3 was "you can easily port titles from 360 to Wii U".

DieH@rd

Banned
Im really not that much impressed with Samaritan. Yeah they crammed a ton of detail in some areas, but its not a big jump from todays graphics we can see in some games.

I expect that nextgen will provide truly visible and undeniable improvement over todays high end PC games.

Postman

Banned
That is simply not possible for several reasons. Like the size of the Wii U. And it wouldn't even be necessary. Just look at how many people here are saying they don't want the next gen in 2012 or even 2013, they are happy with 360 graphics. Nintendo will do a console for the casual again. This time for the casual that have bought an HDTV. The Wii U will be profitable for them and it will be at most $250. Why should Nintendo change what worked so great for them this gen and release a powerful console? When was the last time the most powerful console was also the market leader? Not in the last decade. Price is important. And strategy. Nintendo still believes in those short 5 year cycles whereas Sony and Microsoft prefer ten year cycles.

Oh and why would they be so shy about their performance if it was that good? Their key selling point at E3 was "you can easily port titles from 360 to Wii U".

You do realize you can easily port genesis games to a PS3 right? now think on that a bit.

gunbo13

The point though is not whether a 1080p image will look better than a 720p image if both had the same IQ processed applied, because it WILL given the other factors we mentioned. The question is, on a finite amount of processing power, would a 720p image with full IQ processing look better than a 1080p image with half the quality? I definitely think so.
Very true. But if you chop out the hardware barrier it is all gravy on top. I guess the disappointment is that we are still constantly see-sawing on achieving HD quality. And we are looking at 2012 minimum to kick off the initiative.

It is just sort of odd that we are getting 1080p media from all over yet consoles still have trouble meeting the minimum HD standard. And next generation, we are now talking about "finally" achieving that standard while other media are looking at 4K.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Fellow PC gamers, 720p for consoles is good. Port and increase resolution and IQ on PC in DX11 is way better than ~DX9 ports upscaled from 540p with poorly optimized DX11 features tossed in.

StuBurns

Banned
I expect that nextgen will provide truly visible and undeniable improvement over todays high end PC games.
I think you'll be disappointed. In a way, it will, because it'll mean people start putting forty million dollars into games designed to be high end, but in terms of performance, I don't see it happening.

EDIT: People talking about the WiiU, is it required to use the second screen? If that's the case, you have 720p at this level to go between both screens.

teh_pwn

Im really not that much impressed with Samaritan. Yeah they crammed a ton of detail in some areas, but its not a big jump from todays graphics we can see in some games.

Better art, textures, and clever implementations, but those will ripple up to PC games. Compared to PC games today, I'm sure some of the stuff put out by Naughty Dog will look great.

But things are different than last generation. PC video cards have gotten bigger, hotter, and use tons of power. That's going to limit how much can go into a console. I don't think we'll see high end PC cards in consoles at release, but something 50% of say a 7950.

No...

DieH@rd

Banned
I think you'll be disappointed. In a way, it will, because it'll mean people start putting forty million dollars into games designed to be high end, but in terms of performance, I don't see it happening.

In case of WiiU and X720 maybe, but i holding mu hope that PS4 will be graphical beast.

If they manage to release it as one of the first devices that uses stacked chips, it has potential to blow competition away. But that ain't coming for ~2 years minimum.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Ok this poses a serious question, based on what we know of Wii U now, is it even feasible for PS4 or 720 to be 2-3x more powerful compared to Wii U?

Because if yes, that's 2.2 - 3.3 TFLOPS, more than enough for Samaritan in 1080P, and if they go 720P then we will see absolutely mental graphics.

And if no, that means that next gen starts this year and there is no reason not to go Wii U, as it will be in the same power league as PS4 and 720

In any case, Nintendo undersold Wii U horribly last E3. Just think of the EAD/Retro games you can do with a Samaritan powered console. This will be a GameCube scale jump.

so are we back to talking about how many Flops the next gen consoles will have?

Ahhh yeah. I'm getting all nostalgic for 2004/05 now.

I hope we get some actually info soon. All these hints and winks and nods from developers is getting crazy.

Also I hope Epic do a better job making keeping the engine as equal as they can across platforms. I know epic and Microsoft or super close best buddies and that will probably continue next gen but it would have been nice if the playstation 3 version of Unreal had some form of Anti Aliasing. its been 6 years.... even the iPad version of Unreal has games with AA. I dont think any ps3 games using the engine ever had any.

Also hopefully UE4 looks like Samaritan. Early UE3 demos looked damn impressive with loads of dynamic lights/shadows/objects but when it finally came to release games most of that stuff demoed was ether not there or paired back considerably. I guess thats just what happens with tech demos.

Sean

Banned

I cannot think of any current games that come close to the Samaritan demo visually. It's a huge leap above what we have now.

teh_pwn

In case of WiiU and X720 maybe, but i holding mu hope that PS4 will be graphical beast.

If they manage to release it as one of the first devices that uses stacked chips, it has potential to blow competition away. But that ain't coming for ~2 years minimum.

Sony would go bankrupt if they tried to fit a 7970 into a console in 2012-early 2013 with a 450 W PSU and some massive cube like shape to push air through it fast. It would sell at a huge loss and they're already broke.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ok this poses a serious question, based on what we know of Wii U now

Unfortunately, we don't have public benchmarks of the actual hardware's performance of the Wii U, so no one who isn't a developer with a final development kit can give a truly serious answer to this.

By June though, we should have leaks with enough technical detail to answer this question adequately.

Krilekk

Banned
Siri huh?

Hmm, I wonder if the ipad is going to kill consoles just like smarphones have killed handhelds =p

The ipad 3 is rumored to have some pretty nice specs after all. =)

LOL, the iPad 2 has about 3 Gigaflops. Xbox 360 is at 350, next gen will be at 3000. Power consumption is what is holding back mobile devices and they will never make up for that. Developers can work around the limitations to make things look pretty but it's really no competition to consoles.

I agree. The next gen game engines will be more efficient than the Samaritan demo. PC development has been severely hampered by the old consoles. When the new hardware hits, even if it's not any more powerful than today's high end GPUs, the games will end up looking far better than anything current PC devs have accomplished with equivalent silicon.

And I don't want Epic to dominate the franchise game engine market again next gen. I'd like to see Id put up some competition. It could only improve them both.

Nibel

like what?

Mark Rein said that in an interview:

Mark Rein was thrilled by Nintendo's Wii successor, though he wouldn't speak to any specifics regarding Unreal Engine 3 on the new console.

"I can tell you that I got to see it at E3 and it was what I expected of course. We were very excited to play some of their demos, see how good the feel of the hardware was -- it's a very impressive system and I think it's gonna do quite well," he told us. When asked about the possibility of UE3 on Wii U, as indicated by two UE3-based games in Nintendo's own sizzle reel, Rein referred us to our conversation at GDC.

He summarized it by saying, "'If Nintendo made a system that could run our engine, we'd be on it like water on fish.' And so when someone asked me what I thought about the Wii U, I said, 'Water, meet fish.'" Seems pretty direct if you ask us!

statham

why do anyone think sony or MS will go for the beast again? MS went for it with xbox and lost a ton of money, sony went for it with PS3 and lost a ton of money, hell even 3do went for it and we saw how that went. after wii you can be successful without the beast! just make a fun system that improves on what we already got.

StuBurns

Banned
Is UE3 on 3DS?

why do anyone think sony or MS will go for the beast again? MS went for it with xbox and lost a ton of money, sony went for it with PS3 and lost a ton of money, hell even 3do went for it and we saw how that went. after wii you can be successful without the beast! just make a fun system that improves on what we already got.

If all the difference is coming out a year later, at the same price, but not having to subsidize a tablet, they'd significantly out perform it without any intention of making 'beasts'.

McHuj

10x improvement over the 360 (as defined by flops here) isn't a beast of a machine. It's a very upgrade, imo, but not extravagant or unrealistic.

Krilekk

Banned
In any case, Nintendo undersold Wii U horribly last E3. Just think of the EAD/Retro games you can do with a Samaritan powered console. This will be a GameCube scale jump.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they undersold Wii U with Ghost Recon Online PC footage because people would freak out and actually want to buy the console if they knew how powerful it truly was. If Wii U was powerful they would've shown the Samaritian demo running on it instead of that flying bird in UE3 that Epic made for their presentation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVKMMYFbVgk

We want better tech; better performance, better IQ, better physics, better lighting, better framerates, better resolutions, better AI.

Mild improvements in 2012-2014 on 2004 technology just isn't going to cut it as far as I'm concerned.

Rapstah

So hang on a second here:

Modern Warfare 3 also uses those 0.25 TFlops for rendering at 1024*600 at 60 FPS. (assuming it uses all power, which it does not, but let's pretend)

If we use his calculation down there, then the only unknown variable is calculations per pixel.

1024 * 600 * 60 * X = 0.25 * 10^12

=> X = 10^12 / 60*600*1024 = 27 126.7361

If we use that variable to render MW3 at 1080p at 60 FPS...

1920 * 1080 * 60 * 27 126.7361 = 3.375 * 10^12 => 3.4 TFlops

Can you do that? Can you say that Samaritan at 720p and 30 FPS is comparable to roughly 1.3 Modern Warfare 3s at 1080p and 60 FPS? Because that's not crazy at all.

Chittagong

Gold Member

Sony will have to. They have no other eaningful differentiation. Xbox has Kinect, and however horrid we think it is, casuals buy into it enough for them to be able to do a Wii U+. sony on the other hand has jack shit. No casual controller, no new media format to bail them out. The question is, can they afford it or simply bow out?

Clevinger

The lighting in that demo alone was incredibly impressive; like night and day compared to current gen stuff.

statham

10x improvement over the 360 (as defined by flops here) isn't a beast of a machine. It's a very upgrade, imo, but not extravagant or unrealistic.

no, thats a beast that only a $500 card only can provide and is very unrealistic.

TheOddOne

Sony would go bankrupt if they tried to fit a 7970 into a console in 2012-early 2013 with a 450 W PSU and some massive cube like shape to push air through it fast. It would sell at a huge loss and they're already broke.
Stop making so much sense, man!

:3

S0N0S

I was more interested in the bit about platform consolidation. Home consoles are due for some. But that's for a different thread....

Instro

Is UE3 on 3DS?

The gpu lacks the ability to use programmable shaders, since it doesn't have the correct APIs for UE3 Epic will not provide official support.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they undersold Wii U with Ghost Recon Online PC footage because people would freak out and actually want to buy the console if they knew how powerful it truly was. If Wii U was powerful they would've shown the Samaritian demo running on it instead of that flying bird in UE3 that Epic made for their presentation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVKMMYFbVgk

Epic didn't make that demo...and who said that was in UE3...?

Top Bottom