• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Oh I agree. Not buying a book due to the cover is a bit childish I think. After all there is that old saying for a reason. I didn't see him say flatout he wouldn't buy it though. More of a case of him blowing off steam due to how bad it is. Course I could be wrong. I can see how others can see what he said as him saying he wasn't going to buy it.
Looking down upon other's purchasing motivation is a bit childish I think :p.
It's an aesthically ugly cover that just reminds me of so many of the problems I had with the Campaign's handling of the Forerunner plotline and one that abandoned the great style they had for the previous too books.

The covers for Cryptum and Primordium are fantastic, I love them.

-----------------
I make no comments about the quality of the actual novel. I hope it's fantastic, that Bear really sells
the fall of the Didact.
It seemingly gets more and more ludicrous; these small but glaring deficiencies, when you learn Spartan Ops CGI was outsourced, just as Forge, and who knows what else.
All of the C.G. was outsourced ultimately, no studio can do that easily, huge amount of effort involved.
----------------

Here's an idea, why don't 343 make it a reversible cover?

I would love that they patched in a new functional UI, because the one we have not is just embarrassing beyond words.

Unfortunately this isn't a PC game. Blizzard, for example, is constantly tweaking all aspects of their games and smashing bugs all the time. They also have an incredible community presence and have justified just about every change they've made to their games.

This game, however...we'll be lucky if even the most terrible game-breaking bugs are ever fixed, such as when the game deletes all campaign progress.

Hoping for a UI makeover post-release on a console game (especially considering 343's support thus far) is merely a pipe dream.

TheOddOne

Unfortunately this isn't a PC game. Blizzard, for example, is constantly tweaking their games and smashing bugs all the time. They also have an incredible community presence and have justified just about every change they've made to their games.

This game, however...we'll be lucky if even the most terrible game-breaking bugs are ever fixed, such as when the game deletes all campaign progress.
Closed nature of consoles also destroys any chance of a decent update. Infuriating to be honest, because this game comes directly from Microsoft. Billion dollar company can’t budge for this? Smh.

I'm not as big of a fan of the new cover either, but good freaking grief... Not buying it? C'mon. You know there's words and story once you get past the cover right? And if you get the hardback, you can even... wait for it... take off the cover jacket! Bam! Instant classiness.

Personally, what I find more interesting than the cover is the change in the books description. Some interesting adjustments there...

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Closed nature of consoles also destroys any chance of a decent update. Infuriating to be honest, because this game comes directly from Microsoft. Billion dollar company can’t budge for this? Smh.

It's especially annoying because of the tight deadlines placed on console developers by their publishers. Rush to get a game out the door with no real way to patch anything significant post-release. Terrible bugs? "We're listening to all the feedback and will hopefully make a better sequel next time around."

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
I'm not as big of a fan of the new cover either, but good freaking grief... Not buying it? C'mon. You know there's words and story once you get past the cover right? And if you get the hardback, you can even... wait for it... take off the cover jacket! Bam! Instant classiness.

Personally, what I find more interesting than the cover is the change in the books description. Some interesting adjustments there...

Yup. I just can't fathom not buying a book because of it's cover. I've seen people do that with games too. I just don't understand it. To each their own though I say. If he doesn't want to buy it because of the cover that's his right.

FyreWulff

Whatever, you guys know everything. My bad.

Wait until you find out about the open secret of the game industry: contractors and how heavily they're leaned on to complete games.

Gaming industry can't consider itself mature until it gets away from crunch.

Particularly annoyed this evening because Adobe and their ridonkulous pdf digital signatures were causing a bit of havok, but the moment of clarity of not rewarding the cover change with money seems like the right choice.
Why would they even do a versus? Two different styles of shooters. Maybe CoD vs MoH vs BF3 would have been better.
They compete for sales/userbase? They're the big AAA shooters of the year?
*shrug*

Tawpgun

I realize its early as fuck for this but considering this won't help Halo 4 in any regard.

Halo 5 better have most of its shit done IN HOUSE. Certain Affinity has some cool guys but damn. Cmon. It's almost insulting they didn't get their logo on the cover.

The other thing is the next xbox needs to have PC levels of dev support. NEEDS to.

FyreWulff

I realize its early as fuck for this but considering this won't help Halo 4 in any regard.

Halo 5 better have most of its shit done IN HOUSE. Certain Affinity has some cool guys but damn. Cmon. It's almost insulting they didn't get their logo on the cover.

The other thing is the next xbox needs to have PC levels of dev support. NEEDS to.

That'd be great, but the level of success Halo 4 had is going to tell Microsoft their current setup is fine.

And yes, Certain Affinity needs to get front and prominent credit if they're essentially co-developing Halo.

J10

Banned
If they absolutely must keep the loadout/unlock system in place for future Halo games, they should include the entire Brute weapon set in the next one. I'd like the Bruteshot (H2 version) and Chopper back.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Some more Halo 4 concept art.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Ok, I mentioned this on mastrbiggy's stream last night but I figured I'd put it here because I actually found it so ridiculous.

The information delivery from/in lobby is atrocious. You click on a person's name from the roster and hit party details and you'll know who they're with, if they're in a game, and if their lobby is open. If you want to know how much time is remaining, not only does the party have to be open, but you then have to enter the join queue for their game. Did I mention only the party leader gets this information when waiting to join? Then if you decide that's too much time to wait and want to back out, you can't just cancel the join like before. Everyone in your lobby has to quit separately and rejoin together.

After all this, say you actually want to wait, but you're curious as to the playlist the other party is in. Guess what, nowhere to get this information directly! However, you can at least see what map they are playing and make some sort of inference as to the playlist. But guess what? You have to view their gamer profile in the guide to see the map name! God forbid it actually be built into the game.

This is just the latest revelation for me about how shitty the UI is for this game. I wasn't even aware of the map info until last night and I literally just starting laughing at how ludicrous it was.

This has been bugging me since day one and I don't how how it was overlooked. For a series which did a great job with the 'virtual couch' ideaology of being a social experience it's a huge omission

I guess I've been spoiled by BF3; don't know if other games do this as I typically only purchase 1-3 games per year.
Some of those patch notes posts take about a half an hour to read lol.

Downloading the update and Aftermath last night, I hope to get to play it sometime tonight.

lol that's awful!

Shatter's aesthetics are awful as well. It's Vortex with a green tint.

Too bad art design and dialogue suck balls.

I can't say it often enough: Bungie, come back pls!
not happening, ever, I know :(

Reach was a misstep, but I'm sure they'd have delivered a better Halo 4 than this mess.

What! I don't even.

Halo 4 was great. Art design wise I like it just as much as any Halo it's different step but not a backwards one. Forerunner architecture now looks alive and the implied function behind everything is great.

Dialogue could of used work as could encounters, scale and underlying story however the story events and character building had a sense of development which is far beyond anything bungie ever did.

I very much doubt bungies Halo 4 would of been superior as much as i like them as a developer it was clear that they were done with halo. Reach campaign was average. Halo 3 based on story was average to good. Halo 2 was average and Halo 1 was great.

ODST was stellar but more because if the characters and mystery that was regained by explorer a deserted city invaded by a foe much more dangerous than you.

The rose tinted glasses need to come off. Bungie fucked up a lot.

Cortana and gravemind shouting at you telepathically
The ending of Halo 2
Forced deaths of reach characters
Flood levels that look like I'm in a dirty protest
Armour abilities

343 are not blame free but hailing Bungie as lords of game design is silly

Fuchsdh

This is where consoles rightly get slammed. While I definitely see Microsoft's strong arming as helping to keep bad games from being published, it also inhibits the game's chances at real growth.

While I think the leaked specs for the 720 being modular like a PC is damn stupid (didn't they learn from the lack of hard drives in some SKUs this time?) I think adopting some of the support infrastructure would be good.

Havok

Hard to be excited for Shatter when it's just another big map with fairly strong symmetrical bases that will be used primarily for Dominion and Big Team Slayer, the world's most boring gametype. Put objectives that play well on it and maybe I'll feel change my tune. Doesn't seem bad, but if what they're using the current BTB maps for is any indication of Shatter's future, no reason to look forward to it.

That they spend a third of this video praising on-spawn plasma pistols and encouraging that everybody use them is telling.

CyReN

Is Shatter the "large" map in the Crimson pack or the "medium" one?

Medium-Large

Shatter: Shatter is themed around natural crystalline surfaces and the huge UNSC factories mining them. This large, symmetrical map is a playground for the Warthog and Mantis – its open pathways make it easy to get around, whether on foot or in vehicles. Shatter is a great fit for Dominion and the new game type Extraction. For some close-quarters face-time, escape the open landscape and duck into a mining facility, or slip through a doorway and hunt unsuspecting Spartans. This map has variety for different types of players. Shatter enables multiplayer mayhem for up to 16 players in Infinity Slayer and up to 12 players in other modes, such as Capture the Flag, King of the Hill, Dominion and Extraction.

WTF is up with the ordnance on Haven spawning in the floor?
Played 2 games without pickup weapons, one where the scattershot was the only one.

Slayer Pro is pretty cool btw, I wish we had Objective Pro.

willow ve

Just ran through the campaign on heroic. Two other people playing over Xbox Live. Only took us just over 2 hours to complete the entire campaign (obviously skipping cut scenes). Is this a normal time for everyone else?

Havok

Design Director: "a really good map for objective-based play"

*showcases Slayer*

facedesk.jpg
Plus, it's pretty obviously massive in terms of physical area. Number of playlists with large player counts that would take advantage of that space that also have objective modes in them: zero. One, if you count Dominion, but that's only barely an objective mode at this point since almost everybody just holes up in a base waiting for a dozen rocket launchers to spawn.

TCKaos

Just ran through the campaign on heroic. Two other people playing over Xbox Live. Only took us just over 2 hours to complete the entire campaign (obviously skipping cut scenes). Is this a normal time for everyone else?

Not sure. I was at just under six hours Legendary with my brother. Lower difficulty with more people, I wouldn't say that's entirely off.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm kind of put off by how comfortable the 343 is with encounters on Shatter being centred around the Mantis' survivability.

It's reasonable considering 343 didn't bother to add any difficulty scaling for more players apparently.

Top Bottom