• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You're favorite works inspired by H.P. Lovecraft?

tumblr_o4kk5daQnr1uh4jtxo1_500.gif

....the hell is this? This thing is creepier than the Orphan.

But yeah, Bloodborne. I'd like a sequel that gets even crazier.

Bloodborne is one of the greatest video games of all time and the Lovecraftian influence is a big part of why.

Alan Moore's Necronomicon is...pretty crazy and includes Nyarlathotep.

Old pick here - Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness.

It wasn't till I got older that I realized how influenced by Lovecraft the game was. The big bad is called Avoozl!

9-scatz8.jpg

1-5f244h.jpg

6-307okur.jpg

gforguava

Since all the greats have been mentioned, In The Mouth of Madness and Quest for Glory 4 would be my personal picks, I'll throw out a little piece of low budget crazy that is sadly little seen:

image.jpg

Trailer

It is worth seeing for Corey Feldman's performance alone, he gives an amazingly crazy performance that seems to sit firmly between Jerry Lewis and Peter Falk yet somehow doesn't really feel like a caricature. I think because everything is so weird and just plain off his overly mannered performance ends up fitting right in.

pa22word

No love for Re-Animator yet? Definitely one of the more entertaining adaptations for me.

Fright-Rags-Reanimator1.jpg
Every time I watch the movie I can't get over how said professor looks just like John Kerry, and that makes his disembodied head doing its shenanigans even more funny.

It is indeed a great watch for sure though!

Going with The Thing. Such a great concept of cosmic horror there and the unknowable. Even the ending is unknowable.

Though not strictly Lovecraft, it has very strong Southern Gothic horror tones that dip its toes into Lovecraft. Mainly on the degenerate cult aspect, but when we were first watching it... and when it gets late in the season... I seriously was wondering if we weren't going to see some shit.

No doubt about it. Very clear Lovecraftian influences although they don't really get followed up on unfortunately and they were dropped in series 2. The King in Yellow is explicitly referenced which is obviously not a Lovecraft work but it was partially co-opted into his Cthulhu mythos. I'd like to see those themes return.

Re-animator is amusing but shite really though isn't it? I mean it's just silly.

Cptkrush

Are there any recommended podcasts about the Lovecraft mythos?

The HP Lovecraft Literary Podcast is a lot of fun. They have guest readers and discuss the stories in depth along with the history of the time when he wrote them. I definitely recommend that one.

All the posts for In the Mouth of Madness are on point. It's definitely one of my favorite Lovecraft inspired films. I have to throw another vote to both Dead Space and Bloodborne as well.

aravuus

Imma also say Bloodborne

everyone needs to buy iLovecraft

http://iclassicscollection.com/en/project/ilovecraft/

absolutely amazing. I can't believe the incredible job this company has done.

I know it's not "inspired by"... but damn.. talk about the perfect way to expose someone new to the mythos.

Mostly I'm going to go with either Event Horizon or In the Mouth of Madness. To incredible horror masterpieces from the 90s.

What is this? A bunch of Lovecraft stories with accompanying drawings and sound effects, kinda like... I dunno, the dreams in Lost Odyssey? Because that sounds fucking amazing

kinggroin

Banned
No doubt about it. Very clear Lovecraftian influences although they don't really get followed up on unfortunately and they were dropped in series 2. The King in Yellow is explicitly referenced which is obviously not a Lovecraft work but it was partially co-opted into his Cthulhu mythos. I'd like to see those themes return.

Re-animator is amusing but shite really though isn't it? I mean it's just silly.

Hold that tongue. Movie is a fucking masterpiece, friend.

CloudWolf

All these reactions make me want to play Bloodborne, but I don't want to spend hundreds of euros on a PlayStation 4 just for one game.

wut? Is this serious? Interest piqued.

Actually, no. The story True Detective season 1 draws from predates Lovecraft, though Lovecraft adapted the themes (and some of the characters and places) from this book in his own work. Anyway, TD season 1 is fucking excellent, but stay away from season 2 at all costs.

Mr. Bad Example

Neo Member
If it's been mentioned, I missed it, but check out a short film (around forty minutes) called AM1200. It's about a man driving alone late at night in the middle of nowhere, and the titular radio station he tunes in to.

Ferr986

I only recently played through Bloodborne and never realised before how much the game was inspired by Lovecraft, I absolutely loved it and it's become one of my favorite games of all time. I must have made almost 100 gifs during my playthrough, I fell in love with the game and the creature designs.

7gE8G5m.gif

7yvqD1y.gif

1fKpHSu.gif

nRTyrgg.gif

Damn this is so good.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Laokoon (1970)

A short, CZECH, animated movie from a few decades ago with a very distinct art style and animation that is very reminiscent of The Thing and was originally linked in the cosmic horror OT. Check it out, some really crazy and creepy stuff.

If you're wondering what's being said in the above, there are translations in the comments:

1:17 - In the universe there is a plenty of planets, plenty of forms, plenty of living entities, plenty of touching, hissing, flickering, stirring, blinking, bleating, lashing, waiting, watching and lurking, digesting, penetrating, clutching, restraining, plenty, plenty, plenty of living entities. Many are stronger, bigger, much more fierce than me, and yet I, me and my kind, rule all the creatures I've encountered upon millions of worlds. We have been here longer than most of this star cluster, and we will be here until we seize all the worlds, until we control every tremble and shiver of life. For we, astral amoebae of the scarlet planet in the Zr constellation, control all the hidden desires of all creatures, and we forge our goals in bright fire of their minds.

2:47 - Open all pores - long-range survey - engage receptors - amplify hearing. Unknown sound, unknown sound, unknown sound, unknown sound. Stench of metal. Round object, unknown object, flying object, metal object. Unknown entities, sentient beings, weak and upright, temporary, mortal.

4:13 - They are small, they are fragile, they are alive, they are soft, they are weak, they are cruel, they are great, they are hollow. They love stones shiny stones glittery stones dead and gleaming. They are greedy greedy greedy. Ready weapons - prepare seeding - camouflage - infiltrate - analyse the machinery - control their thoughts - deceive - infest - obfuscate - subjugate.

8:56 - Sprouts and kinks, hooks and claws, suction cups, tendrils, spikes and stems, feelers, mandibles, palpi, tentacles - grasp and squish, ensnare, pull down, kill. Taste of fists, taste of eye sockets, taste of bones, taste of food, taste of food, taste of food...[/QUOTE]

The Void.

all I see in this thread is that there needs to be more eldritch horrors done.

would love an x-files type show thats more creepy and filled with eldritch horrors

Carcetti

The King in Yellow link to Lovecraft mythos is a bit strange, yeah. The book has maybe 2 or 3 vaguely Lovecraftian stories and the rest is theme-wise just... well, you have to read it to believe it. There's the romantics influence, Clark Ashton Smith-ese stuff, politics...

That said, The Repairer of Reputations is one of the best short stories in the Mythos if we want to include it there.

KiKaL

I would have to say Eldritch Horror because it is what really introduced me to what H.P Lovecraft did. Before it, I only knew he wrote horror stories and Cthullu was from him. I had no idea how much of a world he created.

Now I have read quite a bit of his works, own most of Eldritch Horror, Mansions of Madness and all expansions and Arkham Horror the Card game + a few expansions. Currently, I am going through the providence graphic novels.

Luminaire

I believe the Koudelka / Shadow Hearts universe has the Necronomicon in it. I'll have to check if it was just a comparison, but I do know The Emigre Manuscript does seem fairly close to it. It's an ancient book that can teach people to resurrect the dead and such. There are some pretty dark themes in that series, some fairly Lovecraftiam though perhaps focused a bit more on gothic horror in the earlier entries.

Edit: There is the Codex of R'yleh and it speaks of how to summon old and Outer Gods. Close enough!

Also, Lord Dunsany is a playable character in Koudelka. Dunsany was a pretty big influence on Lovecraft if I remember correctly.

Kuraudo

Banned
Thomas Pynchon's Against the Day has some excellent Lovecraftian elements which are used to draw parallels to 9/11. Might be my favourite, might be Bloodborne.

I really enjoyed Stephen King's Revival.

Incredible book.

I love it when King ventriloquises Lovecraft. The short story N is another fantastic example where he merges Lovecraft's ideas with his own storytelling ability.

Sesha

Dark Souls/Bloodborne, Shadow Hearts, Resident Evil 4, Eternal Darkness, The Thing, Hellboy.

Never really read Hellboy but now you've got me interested. What's s good place to start?

The main Hellboy comic series. Start with volume 1. BRPD is supposedly good but I haven't read much so I can't vouch for it.

LordOfChaos

I only recently played through Bloodborne and never realised before how much the game was inspired by Lovecraft, I absolutely loved it and it's become one of my favorite games of all time. I must have made almost 100 gifs during my playthrough, I fell in love with the game and the creature designs.

7gE8G5m.gif

Brain of Mensis
Upon investigating the Nightmare, the School of Mensis discovered an eldritch mind, lined with the sacred and elusive "eyes on the inside" that were said to be the key to evolution. But these eyes were of some inexplicably evil nature, and the brain had immense rot, so that its gaze would drive mortals lethally mad with Frenzy even though they could not see it from a large distance. Despite this, the Brain of Mensis was still a true Great One, and the scholars left it there.

7yvqD1y.gif

Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos
The object of the Healing Church's worship, Ebrietas communes only with the highest members of the Church, guiding them in the ways of Blood Ministration. She is one of the Great Ones who was left behind in the old labyrinth, eventually discovered by the Healing Church. The Healing Church later founded the Choir to protect and study her. She is the only Great One that wants to coexist with humans.

1fKpHSu.gif

Moon Presence
One of the Great Ones in Bloodborne, the Moon Presence controls and manipulates all that resides within the Hunter's Dream. The Moon Presence's origin is largely unknown, but its first known appearance to humanity was to Laurence, who summoned it for unknown reasons. Evidenced by the note located on the upper floor of the Lecture Building, the Moon Presence also has a connection to Paleblood.

"The nameless moon presence beckoned by Laurence and his associates. Paleblood."

Before being encountered by the Hunter, the Moon Presence had bound Gehrman, the First Hunter to the Hunter's Dream, an outlet seemingly used by the Moon Presence to further its own desires, mainly involving the killing of the other Great Ones. Whether or not this has to deal with halting the Scourge of the Beast and the slaughter of other Great Ones is unknown. However, a note found in the upper floor of the Lecture Hall lends legitimacy to the idea that the Moon Presence is actively seeking out and trying to eliminate other Great Ones.

"Hunt the Great Ones, Hunt the Great Ones."

nRTyrgg.gif

Amygdala
Amygdala appears to be one of the most revered Great Ones as numerous statues of it can be found in the Cathedral Ward and Yahar'gul, Unseen Village. A much larger statue that appears to be part of a shrine is located in the Church of the Hypogean Gaol.

Patches the Spider is seemingly one of the most devoted of Amygdala's worshippers and apparently offers sacrifices to his "God" through the use of the Tonsil Stone, transporting them into the Nightmare Frontier. However should the player slay Amygdala, he expresses no remorse or anger, merely believing they "bestowed salvation" upon the entity.

Gahhhh I need Bloodborne 2 injected via vial into my veins!

Andrin

The Secret World (now known as Secret World Legends) is heavily inspired by a lot of classic horror, with Lovecraft being a major influence. The biggest example being the "Dreaming ones", mysterious extradimensional beings behind most of the major events that happen in the game. The writers have done a great job at keeping them this huge presence in the background, without letting players know too much about them.

I'd also argue that some parts of the Silent Hill games have some really Lovecraftian tendencies.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
It seems like a lot of people are just mentioning stuff with weird-looking creatures.

Anyway, the comic Fatale by Ed Brubaker is an excellent series about a woman's run-ins with a Lovecraftian cult trying to capture her and harvest her supernatural powers.

Top Bottom