• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE has dealt with racism before, but fans are chanting ‘that’s too far'

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
and Triple H takes over...oh wait
triple-h-blackface.jpg

If Vince was the one back then who made Triple H do this, do we blame Vince or Triple H?

Shauni

I remember this. This was during the week of the London attacks I believe. Wasn't Hassan suppose to be their next big thing? I still remember the heat he got whenever he came out.

Yeah, it was apparently originally booked to beat Taker clean at The Great American Bash and then would go on to win the WWE Championship and potentially hold it all the way up to the next Mania.

The terrorist attack in London happened, so they had Taker beat him in dramatic fashion and wrote him off completely

I feel bad for jinder having to say this bullshit to please a 72 year old racist asshole.

You put a person of color at the top and then you have him cut shitty racist promos to another person of color.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Their mistake was airing it after the London bombing. Hassan got fucked for no reason.

They taped the angle on Tuesday and then hours before it was supposed to air that Thursday, the attacks happened. I don't know if it was too late to edit it out or not though, but I do remember seeing a *viewer discretion advised* message scrolling at the bottom all night. I didn't get it until Hassan's masked men appeared.

It was a case of really bad timing, but I think even if the attacks didn't happen, UPN was really pissed about the Hassan character so I'm sure sooner or later, he would have been either written off or drafted to Raw.

Shauni

Don't worry, I'm sure HHH will never...

triple-h-booker-t-wrestlemania.jpg

:(

It was terrible that Booker lost with all the shit he went through. What made it even worse was that finish. Triple H pinned him like 5 years after hitting the pedigree. It really shocked me at the time, even by Trips standards that such an obvious burial

Jerm411

It was terrible that Booker lost with all the shit he went through. What made it even worse was that finish. Triple H pinned him like 5 years after hitting the pedigree. It really shocked me at the time, even by Trips standards that such an obvious burial

Shit he even hit the Harlem Hangover (which should've been the finish) for the first time in the WWE I believe and still lost....ridiculous.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
You guys are reminding how much Vince and H buried the WCW roster after their merge. That was a really bad run.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Can people bring me up to speed on the HHH vs Booker controversy. Use as much detail as possible!

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Funny enough, I just watched the Ron Simmons, Mark Henry, Godfather episode of Table for 3 on the Network. They actually talked about this segment for a few minutes and their feelings on it.

What did they say?

What did they say?

Basically they were all fine with it because it was a TV show & they were all playing characters and it had nothing to do with race. But mentioned X-Pac approached them and said he really didn't want to do it and was worried about how it would be received.

It was following up on the topic about how they would all be approached in public by members of the Nation of Islam who would think they were all actual supporters because of the Nation of Domination gimmick. They always had to explain were just characters and it leaked into their real lives a little too much.

To be fair Triple H wasn't married to Stephanie and still trying to make a name for himself in the WWF. He wouldn't have been in a position to say no to Vince McMahon or Vince Russo who was the writer at the time.

Shit was a LOT different back then beyond just the bad racial politics. Talent had a lot more creative control over their promos and segments compared to the modern era. If Trips wasn't comfortable with the black-face he could have easily said no to it and did the segment without it.

Nekofrog

Banned
I can't deal with Vince anymore. I loved him as a performed in the 90s but this is too much for me to handle. Back to lapsed on the wwe. Went 14 years last time I wonder if I can go longer.

Can people bring me up to speed on the HHH vs Booker controversy. Use as much detail as possible!

Nothing racial. It was the simple fact that HHH didnt think Booker T was ready and used his backstage political powers to remain champion. I guess these stories are the reason why you hear about HHH and his golden shovel.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wait, I don't follow wrestling so I'm trying to understand what's going on here.

The Indian wrestler guy made some racist sounding remarks against the Japanese wrestler, but this was supposed to be part of an act? And people thought that it went too far?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing racial. It was the simple fact that HHH didnt think Booker T was ready and used his backstage political powers to remain champion. I guess these stories are the reason why you hear about HHH and his golden shovel.

Booker was supposed to win, then Goldberg signed with WWE and they needed a heel champion, which Booker was not. It looked AWFUL from the outside. This was the explanation given when called out about it.

uhhh no, he cut promos calling booker a street dog and looked him up and down saying people like him don't win championships

he did every vile thing within live tv limits then won the feud at mania

sibarraz

Banned
Does Indians even mock japanese people like that? Will be cool when the WWE drops all their america crap for once, I'm fine with some patriotism, but the WWE really takes it way too far

Top Bottom