• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Justice League' screening held, reactions

Keym

All of those you pointed out were trash in my opinion. His so called "smart" dialogue is just giving everyone the Scooby Gang voice.

You have terrible opinions but I kinda agree with that last point. I felt it way too much in Age of Ultron and hope it doesn't happen here again.

jett

D-Member
A bog-standard superhero affair is the best you can expect, I think. Worked for Wonder Woman anyway.

1m1MD3v.gif

lol

That movie was dumb as fuck.

I am really hoping that Wonder Woman and Friends is good, because I am not happy about how long I have to wait for another movie about the queen otherwise.

http://comicbook.com/2016/03/21/first-reactions-to-batman-v-superman-are-very-positive/
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Firs...e-Hit-Social-Media-Check-Them-Out-132407.html

going back and reading these is fantastic
"If #BatmanvSuperman is an example of what to expect from future DC movies then Marvel better watch out"
"Jesse Eisenberg's performance in particular blew me away."
"You want a race, well DC may have just caught up with one movie."
"THIS is the movie that shouldve launched the #DCEU. Perfection film making, breathtaking"

Embarrasing

http://comicbook.com/2016/03/21/first-reactions-to-batman-v-superman-are-very-positive/
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Firs...e-Hit-Social-Media-Check-Them-Out-132407.html

going back and reading these is fantastic
"If #BatmanvSuperman is an example of what to expect from future DC movies then Marvel better watch out"
"Jesse Eisenberg's performance in particular blew me away."
"You want a race, well DC may have just caught up with one movie."
"THIS is the movie that shouldve launched the #DCEU. Perfection film making, breathtaking"

I feel like I liked BvS more than the average viewer for various reasons, but man those are embarrassing. Even if you like the film, you have to acknowledge that it has some rather significant flaws.

I feel like I liked BvS more than the average viewer for various reasons, but man those are embarrassing. Even if you like the film, you have to acknowledge that it has some rather significant flaws.

The embarrassing part is those dudes talking about it like it’s a race or competition. Carny nonsense.

I really fucked with BvS and I wouldn't agree with any of those tweets, what clown comments. No forewarning to mention how divisive (and outright hated by many) certain elements would be too

kmag

Early impressions are almost always favourable, because those getting to go to the screenings especially the press want to be invited back.

If you come out and tweet, "just saw Justice League bleh disappointing" then WB aren't going to let you come see WW2, but if you say something to contribute to the hype...and the best of it is there's no real comeback you can 'fix' your impression when you get to do the actual review.

Busty

Banned
Every early superhero film has glowing reactions/reviews no matter the quality. I'm expecting the exact same, near orgasmic quotes, when Thor 3 screens in a few weeks.

Wait until early word starts leaking out of critic screenings before marking anything down in the win column.

You have way too much faith in Hollywood. If there's anything Hollywood is good at it's learning the wrong lessons from successes. Also, if they went back to the drawing board for Justice League after Wonder Woman (so, this year), that spells even more trouble. When's the last time a movie completely went back to the drawing board less than a year before release and it didn't completely suck?

Rogue One was extensively reshot before release, so much so that there are entire swaths of the trailers that didn't make the movie. Also about half of Anchorman was scrapped and reshot after test screenings.

kurahador

Early impressions are almost always favourable, because those getting to go to the screenings especially the press want to be invited back.

If you come out and tweet, "just saw Justice League bleh disappointing" then WB aren't going to let you come see WW2, but if you say something to contribute to the hype...and the best of it is there's no real comeback you can 'fix' your impression when you get to do the actual review.

WB also need these quotes for their twitter reaction tv spots.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Every early superhero film has glowing reactions/reviews no matter the quality. I'm expecting the exact same, near orgasmic quotes, when Thor 3 screens in a few weeks.

Wait until early word starts leaking out of critic screenings before marking anything down in the win column.

Well, at least with Thor 3 we have good reason to have faith in those reactions being good. We don't with JL.

But yes, FAN reactions aren't the best measurement.

I wonder if this is true for fans who just score screening passes though? I saw Civil War and Homecoming early. Had I tweeted that I hated Civil War, it wouldn't have had any bearing whatsoever on me being able to see Homecoming early too. I'm not some member of the press or a particularly important streamer with a following; I'm just a nigga who got to see Civil War more than a month before it released. Disney ain't know who I was.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Let's not forget the early screenings of BvS had standing ovations and oscar talk.

This movie looks like the safest most formulaic Marvel ripoff WB could have put out. the cinematography is the only thing going for it.

Saturnman

Banned
I dunno if the movie is going to be good or bad but I never put much trust in these early reactions.

You know if those early reactions were negative, a large part of Neogaf would eat it up no questions asked.

Confirmation bias does that to people.

Rogue One was extensively reshot before release, so much so that there are entire swaths of the trailers that didn't make the movie. Also about half of Anchorman was scrapped and reshot after test screenings.
They also added the disjointed scenes at the beginning of rogue one with all the location jumping that were absolutely terrible.

Bleepey

It's going to be really funny if critics and people end up enjoying certain scenes, and give Whedon the due credit, only to later find out those scenes were done by Snyder. You know it's going to happen.

What like critics praising the casting of Wonder Woman, the story of Wonder Woman and then shitting on Snyder's involvement. Guess who was invovled in the casting of Wonder Woman and did the story. It was fun seeing so many tweets get deleted when that was pointed out.

You shouldn't.

You absolutely should.

There's no reason not to.

If almost five hours of Man of Steel & Batman v Superman was enough to put you in a pessimistic state (and it is) then reading a handful of tweets from people you've never read before in your life probably shouldn't be enough to snap that.

OBLIGATORY: The narrative "The early impressions are always positive" is a fun one to immediately slap down, but it depends on who is giving the early impressions.

ACTUAL FILM CRITICS: Give them some weight
ENTHUSIAST PRESS: Be cautious
REGULAR OL' FANS/SCREENING RATS: Yeah. Go ahead and keep that shit at arms length.

I'm expecting quality wise it to be a WW style par

Solid enough. Enjoyable night out with no desire to see again.

That's not a criticism either. A superhero movie for me needs to be really good for me to watch it more than once.

WW par would make it one of the best comic book films of all time, if not *the* best, soooo

I don't think it's gonna be anywhere near there

I am betting along the lines of Avengers 2 quality

It's going to be really funny if critics and people end up enjoying certain scenes, and give Whedon the due credit, only to later find out those scenes were done by Snyder. You know it's going to happen.

If it's a good movie, Whedon will get all the credit. If it's bad, Snyder will get all the blame.

Either way Snyder loses, sad but he did do this to himself

I have friends in the industry that do practical special effects / makeup, they heard from someone they trust, take with salt and going on third hand here blah blah blah. This isn't from the test screening but it should be close.

The movie in its current state is a mess and not that great. Its serviceable but only just. If you like big dumb action films and let them slide when it comes to plot, you will be ok.

Positive Comments:
They nailed Superman's tone in a way they haven't live action since 1980s Superman II. There is way too little superman in the film but that might be fore the best. (the right amount of a good thing) Aquaman is really good. Wonder Woman has a few great moments but is mostly in the background. Parts of the new soundtrack are great.

Neutral:
The Flash isn't as good as the TV show version but it might come down to the movie is too busy for the character to develop. Same with Cyborg.

Problems:
People are going to hate Batman. The movie leans on Batman for the comedic parts and it's awkward. There is a moment (and I haven't been told what this moment is) that channels the Adam West Batman. If it stays in the film, Affleck will probably regret accept the role and some feel, would sink the film. There is a lot of pull to leave it in because of Adam West's passing. There is hope it will be cut and they will do a dedication credit instead. Even with that moment removed, his moments in the film aren't good.

Coming from special effect people, they feel the effects could have been so much better. There was too much time when money was spent and nobody was in charge of the film and it's too late to fix. Most of the concerns come from the villains.

TI82

Banned
Suicide squad and fantastic 4 and BVS had good pre screenings too. Just saying, wait for the release because DC has done fuckered me too many times already

okdakor

I need receipts. This sounds good.

Just googling Norma Snutsak gives me a lot of results, slashfilm, nolanfans and a lot of french blogs just translating the US contents

#BVSPremiere standing ovation after a gut wrenching emotional cliffhanger. best superhero action ever. best SH film in at least 5 years

Blader

Problems:
People are going to hate Batman. The movie leans on Batman for the comedic parts and it's awkward. There is a moment (and I haven't been told what this moment is) that channels the Adam West Batman. If it stays in the film, Affleck will probably regret accept the role and some feel, would sink the film. There is a lot of pull to leave it in because of Adam West's passing. There is hope it will be cut and they will do a dedication credit instead. Even with that moment removed, his moments in the film aren't good.

If it's Affleck doing the Batusi, then this will all have been worth it.

Top Bottom