• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBC: "Killing Nazis, fighting religious fanaticism the focus of upcoming video games"

If only we had visionairies like Ken Levine to show us how actually, both sides are fault in this political climate.

I'm glad I played Infinite before I got deep in to politics because I doubt I'd enjoy it as much anymore based on my vague memory of it and posts like this...

Bioshock 1 was pretty anti-Rand though so that was nice.

Moonstone

Bad article. Wolfenstein is just "pulp" fiction. Indiana Jones isn't a necessary reminder - Schindlers Liste is. Come on. Who'd need Wolfenstein as a reminder that Nazis are bad?

But for video games to engage in such charged political themes at all — even those that depict the villains as outlandish caricatures — is "a good thing, because it's something we have to deal with right now," Weiss said, calling it a "necessary reminder."

Don't understand this. Outlandish carricatures are "a good thing" now? Ok with Nazis I can understand this - because they were the pure evil. But who would need a reminder for this? But what is with russians or people from the middle-east? Do those carricatures remind us that they are all terrorists or evil?

A good reminder would be showing the atrocities that happend in the 3. Reich - things like how normal policemen volunteered without force to cleanse a ghetto and shooting hundreds of people also including children and women. I think it is common knowledge that the SS was bad.

Comicbook villains are not a reminder of anything. Neither is Wolfenstein. And if you start to add meaning to videogames - what is with CoD4 Airplay mission? Bombing on civillian houses because there is some made up scapegoat villain. Or "No russian" mission? Better start criticising this than make a shooter where you play as mass murder into something meanfull. One could also argue that turning Nazis and the Holocaust into some sort of popculture funny thing is more dangerous then helpfull.

As a german I really apreciated "Inglorious basterds". There was a controversial discussion in the media here if you could do a "pulp" movie about Nazis.
But I think what Tarantino nailed down was, that it was just not about the people who believed in the Nazi ideology and not only about the Bear-Jew , hunting Nazi-scalps or the pulp stuff.

Hans Landa was it all dooing for his career (he was no convinced Nazi at all - he is no Nazi in the movie - he is an careerist). Which did happen this way. And those career guys did often get away with it. "They were just doing what was legal then!". Fuck them. Judges who never were forced. Many made a career after that.

So this was some really great insight from an american I'd never expected in such a movie.
This added meaning to it, because it did highlight something what was even ignored often in german "sophisticated" movies about this time, althoughthe movie is entertainment at first.

Shooting Nazivillains in videogames - there is nothing to take from it. And truthfact: All Neonazis love Wolfenstein because the Nazis have developed supertech and conquered the US, the moon and whatnot.

There is nothing to take or learn from those games. They are ok, though. It's pulp. Simple fun. But don't read any meaning into them. Read a book or watch a good movie.

Let's keep Wolfenstein and Far Cry as dumb fun. Take meaning from Das Tagebuch Anne Frank, Schindlers Liste and so on. Wolfenstein is unpolitical.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Huh. I barely remember the story, but enjoyed Infinite. Is this why a lot of GAF hates Infinite? never understood the hate the game got.

Part of it is this, because it's clumsy at best and regressive at worst.

Part of it is that the game wasn't what was promised by a long shot, and suffers a lot for it.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
MafiaIIIRally.gif

Is this from the new Mass Effect game?

Bad article. Wolfenstein is just "pulp" fiction. Indiana Jones isn't a necessary reminder - Schindlers Liste is. Come on. Who'd need Wolfenstein as a reminder that Nazis are bad?

Don't understand this. Outlandish carricatures are "a good thing" now? Ok with Nazis I can understand this - because they were the pure evil. But who would need a reminder for this? But what is with russians or people from the middle-east? Do those carricatures remind us that they are all terrorists or evil?

A good reminder would be showing the atrocities that happend in the 3. Reich - things like how normal policemen volunteered without force to cleanse a ghetto and shooting hundreds of people also including children and women. I think it is common knowledge that the SS was bad.

Comicbook villains are not a reminder of anything. Neither is Wolfenstein. And if you start to add meaning to videogames - what is with CoD4 Airplay mission? Bombing on civillian houses because there is some made up scapegoat villain. Or "No russian" mission? Better start criticising this than make a shooter where you play as mass murder into something meanfull. One could also argue that turning Nazis and the Holocaust into some sort of popculture funny thing is more dangerous then helpfull.

As a german I really apreciated "Inglorious basterds". There was a controversial discussion in the media here if you could do a "pulp" movie about Nazis.
But I think what Tarantino nailed down was, that it was just not about the people who believed in the Nazi ideology and not only about the Bear-Jew , hunting Nazi-scalps or the pulp stuff.

Hans Landa was it all dooing for his career (he was no convinced Nazi at all - he is no Nazi in the movie - he is an careerist). Which did happen this way. And those career guys did often get away with it. "They were just doing what was legal then!". Fuck them. Judges who never were forced. Many made a career after that.

So this was some really great insight from an american I'd never expected in such a movie.
This added meaning to it, because it did highlight something what was even ignored often in german "sophisticated" movies about this time, althoughthe movie is entertainment at first.

Shooting Nazivillains in videogames - there is nothing to take from it. And truthfact: All Neonazis love Wolfenstein because the Nazis have developed supertech and conquered the US, the moon and whatnot.

There is nothing to take or learn from those games. They are ok, though. It's pulp. Simple fun. But don't read any meaning into them. Read a book or watch a good movie.

Let's keep Wolfenstein and Far Cry as dumb fun. Take meaning from Das Tagebuch Anne Frank, Schindlers Liste and so on. Wolfenstein is unpolitical.

Wolfenstein is plenty political, that's why its story is talked about a lot compared to other Nazi killing videogames. You're taking meaning from Inglorious Basterds because of one careerist character, but not from Wolfenstein when it depicts concentration camps? People can find meaning from videogames just like they can from a book or a movie.

What about when intimate stories from the Nazis' point of view are mentioned? Like a commander's wife being pregnant, who you have to kill. One Nazi is overworked from interrogating prisoners for sixteen hours straight and can't deal with these all-nighters.

Or how Nazi propaganda over your missions are detailed in the newspapers.
OamFC7H.jpg

I don't think any simple Nazi killing videogame would bother detailing "deviants" like the disabled, LGBT, and other minorities being hunted down like in documents found in Wolfenstein, and how one of them talks about how mothers are encouraged to rat out their boy children for wearing makeup. Or how there's a whole forbidden lesbian relationship detailed through a side character, Annette.

Or how Blazko's patriotism is called into action as being a puppet of the man and how he looks like the racist lynching type back home.
CSD3juRWsAAgpvB.jpg:large

There has been plenty of discussion about Call Of Duty's AC-130 mission, how it depicts aerial warfare as cold and calculating. So has the nuke moment. Plenty of people took meaning from these moments from Call Of Duty.

If Wolfenstein was unpolitical, none of those details would be in the first game. They wouldn't bother having KKK being buddies with the Nazis in the second game. They wouldn't invoke black panthers in the characters.

In before the religion stuff in FC5 is just the very first mission.

You then kill the leader which takes you into 70 hours of taking down the real threat which was ethnic drug lords using religion as a front for their drug/tower building enterprise.

Kevin

I feel like due to recent political events, Wolfenstein is going to sell a lot more copies. Game looks amazing too!

Alex

I don't feel like killing Nazis or fighting crazy religion are uncommon topics for video games of any period.

VoQYm_s-200x150.gif

The New Order and The Old Blood were really good. So I'm excited for The New Colossus.

FC5 on the other hand looks meh. I'm pretty much tired of the FC gameplay loop.

Xe4

Banned
Nazi's have been the enemy in video games since video games first existed, because they're fucking Nazi's. They're the perfect enemy that causes no controversy.

Nobody should feel bad about killing them in a video game and we don't need an article examining that.

Nazi's have been the enemy in video games since video games first existed, because they're fucking Nazi's. They're the perfect enemy that causes no controversy.

Nobody should feel bad about killing them in a video game and we don't need an article examining that.

I think it was only a few months ago we had a thread gaming side where some people argued that people shouldn't be happy to kill Nazis because they were just soldiers following orders or whatever.

Can't wait for inglorious basterds to be mandatory high school watching.

Fuck Nazis. It's weird that it needs to be said this is the norm, but that's people I guess

G.ZZZ

I think it was only a few months ago we had a thread gaming side where some people argued that people shouldn't be happy to kill Nazis because they were just soldiers following orders or whatever.

I still feel wrong when i kill other people in videogames. Dunno, all the violent and military glorification of the US has created so many victims in the actual world that i can't see a lot of games/movies/Tv show as nothing but propaganda machines anymore.

Wars have no winners.

Khoryos

I still feel wrong when i kill other people in videogames. Dunno, all the violent and military glorification of the US has created so many victims in the actual world that i can't see a lot of games/movies/Tv show as nothing but propaganda machines anymore.

Wars have no winners.

I don't know, I think Rome would disagree with you. Also the Allied Nations, General Franco, the North Vietnamese, the Chinese Communist Party...

g11

So wait, it turns out all that guerilla marketing for Confederate was actually guerilla marketing for Wolfenstein? Worst ARG ever.

Can't wait for the game.

The new Wolfenstein is pretty good, but hailing AAA video games as politically good fills me with despair. Because they're guaranteed to be 99% intellectually vacant and anyone taking thoughts out of them will be dumber as a result.

G.ZZZ

I don't know, I think Rome would disagree with you. Also the Allied Nations, General Franco, the North Vietnamese, the Chinese Communist Party...

Who would disagree? The common family whose father and sons left for the war to never return? The soldiers who killed and suffered PTSD for the rest of their lives? The people in power who could claim they governed more land that they probably never visited anyway in their lifetime?

Wars looks good to people only on history books.

Top Bottom