• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 PC will NOT have gamepad support

Yeah. My wife and I had the PC hooked up in the TV room for a year or two, and using a gamepad was the only way. A lot of people like playing on a big TV, but there's no mouse surface on a couch.

I prefer KB+M but if you're doing the comfy couch thing, controller support is a must.

Once I get my Steam solution working I'm going to make a thread about XBMC. Hopefully that will provide something to link to every time someone comes in and goes "derrrrr but it haz kb/m support why u want pad lols".

His "argument" is that he wants to play games while sitting in the chair he has bought for the express purpose of playing games. And since you appear to have been living under a rock for the past 5 years the vast majority of multiplatform games have native controller support already.
Ok, I get that the PC version for most multiplatform games are better, in terms of graphics. But all he said was, try gaming on so-and-so chair. So if you get what he's expressing through that one sentence alone, I'd hope you'd get what I was trying to say. I was trying to say that PC games are more than console ports. I mean, what happens when you want to play the next C&C Generals game or the next Starcraft 2 expansion. What about PC exclusive games that may not support console pads? Complain about those games not supporting pads?

It's probably my bad for thinking this poster was interested in a larger catalog of games.

Ok, I get that the PC version for most multiplatform games are better, in terms of graphics. But all he said was, try gaming on so-and-so chair. So if you get what he's expressing through that one sentence alone, I'd hope you'd get what I was trying to say. I was trying to say that PC games are more than console ports. I mean, what happens when you want to play the next C&C Generals game or the next Starcraft 2 expansion. What about PC exclusive games that may not support console pads? Complain about those games not supporting pads?

I'm very confused. Are we talking about a PC exclusive game or a multiplatform game? Because if it's the latter you should judge it by that standard (and it is).

It's probably my bad for thinking this poster was interested in a larger catalog of games.

Not probably, it was your bad. Ignoring the condescension in the above, people have different preferences. Sorry if it "rubs you up the wrong way" when people like things you don't but I'd put it to you that's your problem, not ours.

I'm very confused. Are we talking about a PC exclusive game or a multiplatform game? Because if it's the latter you should judge it by that standard (and it is).

Not probably, it was your bad. Ignoring the condescension in the above, people have different preferences. Sorry if it "rubs you up the wrong way" when people like things you don't but I'd put it to you that's your problem, not ours.
Wait, now you're just pulling random quotes. I thought this was a minor issue for Mass Effect, since most of the previous games didn't support pads. The OP calling for a boycott bothered me.

I'm totally aware that many PC games support pad. I plug in controller pads whenever I feel it suits the game better, like a lot of users. I get preferences. I get this is a bigger deal, now. Just saying, there are a lot of PC games.

Anyone with knowledge of a poang knows it's not a computer chair. I wrongly thought you knew what chair it was because it's quite commonly known.

As for other games. RTS's are not known for their cinematic experience and therefor not as interesting to play in a HT environment.

And my personal circumstances are that I come from playing ME1 en ME2 on a console. Having access to a superior piece of hardware made me decide the third game in this series should be the PC version for me. Not being able to play the game in the same circumstances as the first two will cause for a less enjoyable experience.

Wait, now you're just pulling random quotes. I thought this was a minor issue for Mass Effect, since most of the previous games didn't support pads. The OP calling for a boycott bothered me.

Now we're getting to the fun part. Why does it bother you if people boycott Mass Effect 3 over this issue?

I'm totally aware that many PC games support pad. I plug in controller pads whenever I feel it suits the game better, like a lot of users. I get preferences. I get this is a bigger deal, now. Just saying, there are a lot of PC games.

And I'm saying that nearly every single multiplatform game has native 360 controller support these days so there being a lot of PC games is pretty irrelevant to the issue at hand.

Sothpaw

Having played both games on console and PC, the series just flat out controls better with k/m. But hey if people would rather play the console version because of this more power to them.

Ploid 3.0

By you... why are you making subjective statements as if they are objective fact?

Of course by me, what else matters to me? Also I'm sure others that want controller support feel the same way, especially the person that was quoting was responding to people I'm sure feel the same way. You may have read my post in the wrong context. Not everyone feels that the effort to play on mouse/kb is enough for the bit of extra accuracy, especially for single player games which isn't about betting any advantage you can. That would be like a casual jogger shaving all his body hair (eyebrows included), and wearing a tight wind resistant body suit just to get a few seconds off of his daily jog times. It's unnecessary for him if he just wants to jog.

I'm not saying that some people don't want to play on kb/mouse for the accuracy. I'm sure some are happy to do that. Some play on nothing but kb/mouse, and I know people that use them whenever they can.

Again, the posts were these.

As for ME3, I assume the reason they don't support gamepads is because they'd have to change the UI. Since they already have a UI designed for the X360/PS3, I'm not sure why they couldn't just switch to it if the player uses a gamepad. In any case, I'm not very broken up about it because M/KB is objectively superior (a mouse is undeniably faster and more precise than an analog stick) for shooters.

There is absolutely no need for the precision of a mouse in Mass Effect. The gamepad is more than enough no matter which difficulty setting you're playing at, and ergonomically it's objectively superior.

Pretty much. This isn't Counter Strike or some shit, I play Mass Effect on normal. The KB/M hotkeys are nice, but I don't need them. I'd love to be able to just kick back with a controller, and the game wouldn't be the least bit compromised if I did.

lotrfan replied to these two quotes with this.

Why isn’t there a need for precision?

to which I replied explaining what they may have ment. They were talking about the extra precision, not precision in general. I mean if the game controlled as if the character was drunk all the time there would be problems for everyone, even control users. No one would be happy with the lack of precision. Controller precision is less compared to mouse but it's not in any way bad or unacceptable. The level in which I use mouse/kb may be on par or lower than my analog precision, especially if I try to use it in the position I use a controller (maybe on my back with my feet kicked up).

Woo-Fu

Banned
Guess the Alan Wake devs were working under a different reality, they managed better graphics across the board and found time to squeeze in controller support.
They did take their sweet time about it, granted.

Ledsen

Why isn’t there a need for precision?

There is... but the precision of a controller is more than enough. There is no need for m/kb in ME.

It's still not a great argument. I mean Mass Effect isn't the only PC game. What about a game that you absolutely gotta play with mouse and keyboard?

Anyways, I don't wanna come off like PC master race. There are a lot of games that make a lot of sense with a controller pad. I'd argue that the Xbox 360 controller is the best thing to happen to PC games since it's a great console pad and best PC pad. But when an opening post calls for a boycott, because a PC game that already has solid keyboard and mouse controls, doesn't support pad. It just rubs me the wrong way.

I usually don't play those games at all.

With a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse that can work on pretty much any surface and has a battery that last 10 months, I can't say I care about ME3 not having game pad support on PC.

Ploid 3.0

I don't recall this sort of outrage when Mass Effect 1 and 2 came out. I didn't even realize that controller support wasn't even in the first two games. Perhaps Bioware shouldn't have said a thing.

I'm kinda weirded out about the outrage here. I'm assuming the people that are pissed, played the first two games on PC and looking to transfer their saves. I agree that Bioware's reasoning is stupid as fuck, but if you guys have been playing through the first two games without controllers, what's the big deal now? I thought Mass Effect 2 controlled well on the PC, it contained both number hotkeys and the radial menu. Now it's been a while, but I also think the sprint and cover were both bound to the spacebar.

I'm just trying to understand why Mass Effect is easier on a controller, or harder on the Mouse and Keyboard.

I got a gaming PC after it launched, and when I got the game (PC) I was surprised it didn't have controller support. I looked up on google to see if they were going to patch it in, or if there was a patch. I took steps in fixing this problem, got a program that added to cost, and tried to make it work. In the end it was too much work to be bothered with, and it still didn't feel good, Menus used the analogs to control the cursor. I had to waste buttons on menu commands that would have been a normal button if controller was supported, and so much more.

I played ME2 with m/kb but because it was m/kb I didn't play it much. I still haven't finished ME2 and I know I won't finish ME3 if I bought it on pc. I'm better off skipping it. It was too much work for Bioware to add controller support, and it will be too much effort for me to play comfortably.

With a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse that can work on pretty much any surface and has a battery that last 10 months, I can't say I care about ME3 not having game pad support on PC.

Plenty of other people do. Not having pad support in a multiplatform game is a joke. I don't want to play the console versions with their asstastic framerate, I do want console controls though. Not having the choice of KB/M or Pad is just ridiculous.

Ploid 3.0

I'll have to look at that chair, but if just playing PC games is hard on that chair, why are you using it as your computer chair?

Because it's in the TV room, I'm guessing, not an office.

duck_hunt_dog.gif

Sorry but this made me chuckle.

haha highfive.jpg

It's still not a great argument. I mean Mass Effect isn't the only PC game. What about a game that you absolutely gotta play with mouse and keyboard?

Anyways, I don't wanna come off like PC master race. There are a lot of games that make a lot of sense with a controller pad. I'd argue that the Xbox 360 controller is the best thing to happen to PC games since it's a great console pad and best PC pad. But when an opening post calls for a boycott, because a PC game that already has solid keyboard and mouse controls, doesn't support pad. It just rubs me the wrong way.

The game has to be worth it for me to use kb/mouse. Like Diablo 3 beta, I went out of my way to make a setup that worked (desk) and played it a lot. Then I stopped playing it when I went back to other games. Same happened for Shogun 2. I'm not sure when I'll play shogun 2 again, I loved it but there's too many other easily accessible games that I own. I watch starcraft 2 youtube videos, and am addicted to watching them. I have no desire to buy and play it because I know I'd suck, and it's m/kb.

Shit, I just realized that people can move computers around. Including desk/office to living room. I guess my argument is weak.

Anyways, gripe on. I still like the keyboard and mouse controls. And I get wanting to trade that off for a more cinematic experience.

Posted?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ect-3-doesnt-support-gamepads#comment-2857800

"There is a development cost in terms of time/effort to get all the graphical user interfaces so 360 buttons show up on PC," senior designer Manveer Heir explained to Eurogamer reader j0hn385 on Twitter.
"It may seem minor, but our GUI team was already stretched thin, and things were coming in at the last minute, so we couldn't add more work."

Confirmed, Bioware has no money, EA going bankrupt.

I sometimes play PC games on my HTPC which is situated in front of a sofa, attached to a huge audio system and a huge tv... given the choice I much prefer to play with a pad in that situation as opposed to the awkwardness that comes with a kb/m on a sofa.

If I were at a desk, it would be different... thus, why not give us the choice... oh well.

At least he didn't use the, custom interface designed specifically for mouse and keyboard excuse. He openly admitted that they just didn't want to spend the time or money to include the feature.

Ploid 3.0

It was posted a couple of times, and I doubt that's a Eurogamer reader (I like how they added that to make it as if it's their own story).

bB7qq.png

I still think it's a convenient excuse, and I doubt they will patch it in. They had plenty of time to patch ME2, and like other said it seem like they took out support or any chance of modders being able to easily enable the UE3 feature or whatever that enable controller support. The team already had a HD UI, and all the source material they needed. I'm not buying it.

Kinect

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

So why do you care about other people caring that it doesn't support the 360 pad?

Postman

Banned
I wrote a program for DA2 so I could play it with my 360 controller. I probably could alter it for ME3 no prob. It uses raw_input not crappy direct play.

ctrayne

Holy shit. They can't handle throwing in already completed UI elements? I mean, they had to make the Xbox UI anyway. And yet you know some random modder on the internet can and probably will do what they were too "busy" to do.

Aren't there some games on PC that change the UI on the fly depending on if you press a key on the KB or the controller? I know there are a few like that.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit. They can't handle throwing in already completed UI elements? I mean, they had to make the Xbox UI anyway. And yet you know some random modder on the internet can and probably will do what they were too "busy" to do.

Aren't there some games on PC that change the UI on the fly depending on if you press a key on the KB or the controller? I know there are a few like that.

Yes.

Off the top of my head, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Batman: Arkham City, Kingdom's of Amalur Reckoning--I'm certain of these.

I think Just Cause 2, Renegade Ops, Saints Row the Third, Skyrim, and many more do it, too, but I can't remember which require an option toggle and which are seamless transitions.

Yes.

Off the top of my head, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Batman: Arkham City, Kingdom's of Amalur Reckoning--I'm certain of these.

I think Just Cause 2, Renegade Ops, Saints Row the Third, Skyrim, and many more do it, too, but I can't remember which require an option toggle and which are seamless transitions.

JC2 and SR3 are both definite. If Skyrim is like Fallout and Oblivion it will lock to 360 controls if you have a controller switched on, then fall back to keyboard and mouse if you turn it off or unplug it.

Also you can add Alpha Protocol, Deus Ex: Human Revolution and the recent Tomb Raider games to the list of games which dynamically toggle.

Ploid 3.0

So they had enough time and money to add DLC to a fucking mousepad, but not to hire an intern to add controller support?

Making HD cities is har.. oh wrong dev. Making two UI + gamepad controls is hard.

That's the one I was thinking of. I remember thinking it was a cool feature.

The final boss would also be a total pain in the dick for non-lethal characters without it too because
you have to enter the codes for the terminals before the turrets rotate back around and start turning you into swiss cheese, which is next to impossible if you're entering them with the on-screen keyboard.

Wonko_C

I posted this on the other thread but it quickly got lost so I'll repost it for those who use pinnacle game profiler, it's my personal profile for the demo, I even played some multi with it. It would be nice if it gets added to the original post.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3gr6rgi0g8s1d7f
Ft0jj.jpg

EDIT: I tried to make it as pure as possible, unfortunately for walk/run to work properly, you have to go to the ingame options and bind walk to the N key.

(Oh, great. End of page post. LOL)

Ploid 3.0

I posted this on the other thread but it quickly got lost so I'll repost it for those who use pinnacle game profiler, it's my personal profile for the demo, I even played some multi with it. It would be nice if it gets added to the original post.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3gr6rgi0g8s1d7f
Ft0jj.jpg

EDIT: I tried to make it as pure as possible, unfortunately for walk/run to work properly, you have to go to the ingame options and bind walk to the N key.

(Oh, great. End of page post. LOL)

Wow that seems like the better profiler. You can make commands from holding and tapping buttons, also holding LB+ buttons? Can xpadder even do this?

$24, Bioware has a partnership deal with these game profiler companies I bet.

It's pretty clear that Bioware doesn't care anymore. Let me give you my perspective on Bioware and "dev realities."

My wife is a big Mass Effect fan, and played the first game on the 360 in Japanese. So when it came time to play ME2, she got it for the 360 as well. There was no Cerberus code, and they were going to release all the extras via the Market, free and paid. Well, it never happened. They released the Kasumi DLC, and it was totally bugged, crashing the game from the word go. So they pulled it off of the Market, back in August. No information came out until early this month, when EA Japan revealed that the downloadable content for ME2 on the 360 was cancelled, because Bioware refused to work on it. They had "moved on" to ME3. So 360 users in Japan are screwed, they got nothing. Even though everything is available for the PS3 version of the game.

My wife hates Bioware now, and I'm sure there are a whole bunch of hardcore 360 players in Japan who won't trust Bioware again.

Dev realities, right Bioware? They don't care about the fans that represent a "minority," be they Japanese 360 players or PC players. It's all about the numbers, and not developer pride at this point.

Wonko_C

Wow that seems like the better profiler. You can make commands from holding and tapping buttons, also holding LB+ buttons? Can xpadder even do this?

$24, Bioware has a partnership deal with these game profiler companies I bet.

I wouldn't know if Xpadder does the same things. I tried using it once some time ago and I couldn't make it work. PGP makes it easy to do compound commands (though the more advanced stuff is out of my league). The most basic are the tap/hold ones, you can even make "double tap" commands and "sticky" buttons like the one I used for the command menu (RB).

LB is actually a "shift button", what it does is change the function of the desired buttons while the shift button is held.

Top Bottom