• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

Pft bwahahahahaha, Frontliner made this for that meme.

For fucks sake at that article though..... I knew Alex and Drew were douches before but I couldn't read that article all the way through. Scust

Fucking hate them. Sad people who thini their music make them artists

I think they just dont give a fuck and float a lot. On the show they have on Sirius they always just seem affable and simply shoot the shit. They also seem genuinely interested in music from all the scene. EDM is such that, at least for me, you are only as good as your last couple songs. Dance music has such a short shelf life that if you don't keep up you fade away. So far Chainsmokers have been dropping good song after good song for the market they serve. Their personalities can be somewhat abrasive or at least projected as such.

Aomber

I think they just dont give a fuck and float a lot. On the show they have on Sirius they always just seem affable and simply shoot the shit. They also seem genuinely interested in music from all the scene. EDM is such that, at least for me, you are only as good as your last couple songs. Dance music has such a short shelf life that if you don't keep up you fade away.So far Chainsmokers have been dropping good song after good song for the market they serve. Their personalities can be somewhat abrasive or at least projected as such.

But is it even dance music? Roses and Don't Let Me Down, sure, but to be honest I wouldn't even consider their past 3-4 singles to be "EDM" especially not Paris. It's been successful for the college beer pong scene but I don't really think their own music is about keeping up with the EDM scene. What they're doing is more along the lines of a straight up boy band who happen to DJ as well.

Hell maybe I'm wrong but that's just my interpretation of it

Barclay Crenshaw and Sasha going to be here at the end of next month. Hnnggghhh

Edit: Technically this month now!

That'll be great, enjoy :D

mr stroke

But is it even dance music? Roses and Don't Let Me Down, sure, but to be honest I wouldn't even consider their past 3-4 singles to be "EDM" especially not Paris. It's been successful for the college beer pong scene but I don't really think their own music is about keeping up with the EDM scene. What they're doing is more along the lines of a straight up boy band who happen to DJ as well.

Hell maybe I'm wrong but that's just my interpretation of it

That'll be great, enjoy :D

Nope. The problem is, they have openly admitted to making "pop" music for the lowest common denominator. Plus they are AWFUL DJ's. They will spend half a set standing on the decks and shouting, playing the same top 20 EDM tracks mixed with their pop hits.

If these guys want to be pop artists like Bieber or One republic fine, there is nothing wrong with that. But them capitalizing on the EDM DJ bubble is a joke, these guys can't build a set, read a crowd, and have zero composition in their sets. What would happen if they had to play an opening set? or god forbid an 8 hour set ?

Aomber

Nope. The problem is, they have openly admitted to making "pop" music for the lowest common denominator. Plus they are AWFUL DJ's. They will spend half a set standing on the decks and shouting, playing the same top 20 EDM tracks mixed with their pop hits.

If these guys want to be pop artists like Bieber or One republic fine, there is nothing wrong with that. But them capitalizing on the EDM DJ bubble is a joke, these guys can't build a set, read a crowd, and have zero composition in their sets. What would happen if they had to play an opening set? or god forbid an 8 hour set ?

Oh for sure if they want the Pop route that's fine, the difference is that those guys have actual good music behind them which clearly have more thought put into them. For sure it's not everyone's cup of tea but for example Counting Stars has that timeless factor, and Sorry has some great songwriting and pretty unique production (produced by Skrillex & BloodPop).

It's pretty obvious why these songs have that "something extra" - they're written by musicians. Most EDM artists aren't fundamentally musicians, that sounds like a harsh way of putting it but what I mean is many artists acknowledge they don't know how to play an instrument. When I hear an EDM song I can usually tell straight away when the artist has a music background beyond just producing EDM. I mean listen to those songs I linked then listen to The Chainsmokers - All We Know and you can tell immediately when it's pointed out. There ARE exceptions to this, mau5 and prydz actually don't have much knowledge of music theory yet write great music, but for the most part this is true. I think a lot of people who are interested in producing EDM should start by learning the piano or guitar first to be honest, forget even downloading music software yet.

As for the DJ aspect, for sure you're right - I'm 99% sure they wing their sets because my sister saw them live and they were totally hammered just doing whatever they want. They're not good at that and obviously don't take the time to plan out a good set either, so...

Oxn

I remember a time when this thread actually liked chainsmokers. That was right before the song closer i think.

Aomber

Sorry for the late response. Did you end up listening to the album? I'm kinda hit or miss on some tracks to be honest but I still love those two you posted.

If you insist ;) here's something that's work in progress I just uploaded today:
https://soundcloud.com/paxwilde/comfort

Yeah I did. I'm right there with you, I thought the vocal collabs were pretty weak, the instrumental tracks are what shine more than anything. I'm not really surprised about that to be honest, I mean Claude is a house producer, working with vocals is probably something he's not totally accustomed to

Oh dude this is pretty great I can definitely see why you like some of the Barclay tracks, keep working on it it's really nice. I don't usually like to talk about engineering too much but that's a pretty awesome mixdown too

DMczaf

Went to Armin Only Embrace tour last night in LA

Oh my god! Dude is just an amazing live artist. Nearly 4 hour long set, 90% of his setlist was his own catalog.

Melted me with nearly 45 mins straight of psytrance.

Finished the night with 30+ minutes of live mixing on fucking vinyl because he's fucking Armin Van Buuren.

Aomber

Oh my god! Dude is just an amazing live artist. Nearly 4 hour long set, 90% of his setlist was his own catalog.

Finished the night with 30+ minutes of live mixing on fucking vinyl because he's fucking Armin Van Buuren.

Holy crap that sounds bomb

DMczaf

Also seems like a really cool dude.

During his ending vinyl performance, it seemed things became desynced, so they had tech guys run up and quickly fix it.

Instead of getting pissed, he spent the 5-10 mins signing autographs for the fans around the stage. Good stuff.

Anth0ny

Armin is just incredible live.

His ASOT show in Toronto in January 2016 was probably my favorite live event I've ever been to.

Aomber

A little LTTP on this one but new single from Major Lazer.

Major Lazer have a weird way of making things work that I should absolutely and completely dislike. I can't put my finger on it, but somehow they always have a way of doing something interesting. Usually I would not like the type of vocals presented in this track, and they're not my favorite by any means, but the production style and rhythm have a unique twist that compliment those vocals quite well. Amazingly, even the Nicki Minaj part is not bad, and I usually cannot stand her. The only thing I don't like at all are the lyrics in the hook that repeat over and over - it works in some songs, but this isn't one of them.

Not something I'd particularly listen to, but... Overall though I like what Major Lazer is doing, they do what they do well and bring some freshness to the mainstream radio setting.

Major Lazer - Run Up (feat. PARTYNEXTDOOR & Nicki Minaj) (Official Lyric Video)

Aomber

REZZ has a new track with a producer called K?D. I've been seeing a lot of people/blogs hyping this track up because I guess a lot of people like K?D (not me) and thought it was cool that he was collabing with REZZ.

REZZ X K?D - FOURTH IMPACT

I sat on this for a few days and I gotta say... I hate to be this blunt, but this track sucks. I don't know much about K?D's background but I know for a fact REZZ has no training in music and tracks like this really show her limitations. The song is just boring, it feels like a "deadmau5 - Some Chords" vibe in the drop but with much less interesting harmonies and melodies. The drop is decently enough produced where it could pass off as a professional production (although frankly I personally think the sound design is pretty obnoxious) but the break sounds like babby's first production slapping on the first preset sound they found in their software synth they got recommended by some random YouTube commenter & adding on some white noise to sound edgy. This doesn't sound like the production of an artist who got EPs signed to Nest and mau5trap

I like the idea of REZZ and what she's doing but she has gotta go down as one of the most inconsistent artists out there. She's released some really cool tracks but man, she has some seriously amateur music out in the wild. There's only so much you can do when your career relies on sound design as an EDM DJ/producer - if your production isn't up to snuff in a track and that's all you can do, then the song just isn't good. However, if the production isn't that crazy, but you back it up with some interesting music ideas, the song can potentially still stand on its own two feet. Now this a totally, completely, 100% different type of song but take Avicii - Levels for example. Any producer knows Avicii, at the time of writing this, was a very amateur producer in terms of his skill set - it wouldn't take much for even an untrained ear to tell that. The reason it became what it became though is because at the end of the day, it was the music that made it stand out. Even going back to "Some Chords", any fan you ask about that song will tell you that it's the intro chords they remember, period. This is what I was rambling about earlier when I said more artists need to sit at a piano before even downloading a piece of music software.

Wow, this mix was unexpected, very nice :D also I meant to post that Arty track when I first heard about it, thanks for sharing it, it's a great one.

Renekton

Armin does Psytrance??

Aomber

I was listening to this track yesterday and my god, I still can't get over how Madeon produced this when he was 17/18. Still loving it years later, absolutely incredible track, the level of detail and emotion in this one is out of this world.

Madeon - Icarus

Good news if you like shitty music: Axwell ^ Ingrosso have a new single coming out this Friday that sounds awfully close to Bitter Sweet symphony but adding some Calvin Harris "How Deep Is Your Love" and a generic hip-hop vocal. This is what I was talking about in the Major Lazer track when I said I usually really dislike vocals like this – in this case it 100% doesn't work.

These guys fell off so hard after Swedish House Mafia. Every song has been decent at best, there's not been a single track where I think to myself "wow these guys are really making the same quality music." It's pretty obvious now who was the backbone of that trio. Anyway, you can hear an extended preview from their Sunburn set below.

Axwell Λ Ingrosso ft. Kid Ink - I Love You live at Sunburn

TheBear

Hey guys I've been a fan of EDM for many years but have completely fell off keeping up with current acts. Judging by the OT, I am a fan of electro and French house (justice, daft punk, Calvin Harris), and was recently introduced to Mixcloud which is really cool (currently enjoying rotarydisco on there). I'm hosting a party soon and was looking for some 1hr+ sets to play. Can anyone recommend anything, streaming or otherwise? Sets without radio commentary ('this is Paul van Dyke bla bla bla') would be preferred. And any recommendations for Mixcloud people to follow would also be awesome!

Cheers!

Aomber

New video for John Wayne is out and it's absolutely insane LOL what did I just watch (in a good way). Still one of my favorite songs from the album, this will probably be a hit given the timing after the superbowl

Lady Gaga - John Wayne (Official Music Video)

So, I gotta be honest, there's one song in the last few months that has been a really slow grower on me but I'll finally admit I actually like it now.

The Weeknd - Starboy (official) ft. Daft Punk

Here's the thing. It's not my favorite song by daft punk by any stretch, but with so much recent radio EDM being pretty poor, I kept coming back to this one because of how well produced it actually is, it just has a way of building up this huge growl in a way I haven't heard in a track before, but is built up so subtly. I always revisit songs like this because I ask myself "there's gotta be a reason this is so successful." Sill not huge on the lyrics but the craftsmanship is fucking classy comparatively. I'm still not sure how much of it was Daft Punk or not considering the other credits, but hey, it's got that quality stamp from them at least.

Also here's a great one from the album produced by Cashy Cat >> The Weeknd - True Colors

Aomber

You know just the other day I was thinking about Galantis and I thought to myself, you know I don't think I've ever heard Galantis remix a track before. I've only heard originals from them, would be interesting to hear a remix from them. Well today is that day and I'd like you all to go to Google, search for pokerface, and click on the first image that you see there, because that right there is my face right now.

Absolutely what in the fuck is this track, let's please stop with future bass. Even Galantis has hopped on it now? I'm gonna keep saying it - if people want to experiment with other genres that's cool. But for some reason, whenever anyone makes mainstream future bass, by default the quality of their music takes a complete nosedive. Complete garbage, the original is a great song, it didn't need this kind of production on it.

Ed Sheeran - Shape of You (Galantis remix)

HOWEVER here is some fantastic trance to cleanse your earholes after listening to the Galantis track :D been some great trance tracks this year already.

PureNRG - Prophecy >> https://youtu.be/2UP_fVKxPqg

Armin van Buren - I live for that energy >> https://youtu.be/OJJt1nvzSWw

Aomber

This is better than the original :D really refreshing mainstage banger with some excellent harmonies

Starving (Bali Bandits Remix (Radio Edit))

On a worse note LOL it's actually really impressive how an artist manages to release a terrible remix and also preview a completely shit new single on the same day. How is this possible when these are the same guys who made Pharmacy?

Preview Galantis - Rich Boy >> https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1023306704441887&id=251070338332198&_rdr

YES! cant wait for it to drop! thnx for always sharing.
You're welcome :D I love music so I'm always following this stuff religiously

Aomber

Exactly zero people are surprised that the new Kygo & Selena Gomez track is really safe. Man it's really too bad because he's a good musician with some great ideas behind the music, but it's repetitive and boring, doing the same thing he always does. There's not really a lot to say about it, the song is fine I guess but it's just the same exact thing as always. Not really a great first single after his last album, which was also boring and the same.

By the way, one of my biggest pet peeves in pop electronic music tracks are build ups like this. Literally for 20 seconds before each "drop" it's the exact same thing as the drop, just without a kick drum and some white noise to introduce the kick. That happens twice – that's 40 seconds where the artist could have added something else to the song, I'm all for repeating ideas if it works but I dunno, it feels like it's there "just because"

Kygo, Selena Gomez - It Ain't Me (with Selena Gomez) (Audio)

Aomber

Wow, Armin made a techno track what is this I don't even. It's got this weird vocal behind it which I'm not feeling but the track itself is actually not bad. I hope he tries more stuff like this in the future

Armin van Buuren - Ygrene Taht Rof Evil I [A State Of Trance 793]

You can listen to the Flume Skin Companion EP II right now on BandCamp, and it is absolutely fantastic. The guy is just constantly finding ways to push his sound further and further, each work of his is better than the last. Both these EPs were better than the album itself which obviously I found to be amazing as is as I named it my electronic album of the year last year. I don't think this needs too many more words, the music can speak for itself, just take the time to listen to it.

EDIT: Unfortunately, the link has gone dead, but it will be out tomorrow on all the usual retailers :)

ALSO – every now and then I like to post something ITT that isn't EDM at all if it's something I find to be really, really special. I think everyone should hear this song, it's totally haunting, I got totally murdered at one point where she goes an octave up.

I just wish it was longer! :(

Lana Del Rey & The Weeknd - Stargirl Interlude

hqdefault.jpg

Top Bottom