• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

Yoooo.... That shit is fire though (new Calvin Harris joint). Gonna be alot of bangers this spring leading into summer.

Thoughts on the new Yellow Claw album (first listen):

It's what you would expect if the duo were to join the mainstream crowd. The vast majority are Future Bass influenced and Future Bass. One particular track, Rose Horizon, is a fucking banger. Future Bass, Sort of Future House-ish, and ends with the trademark Yellow Claw Hardstyle kick. It's a decent album. Compared to Blood For Mercy I don't think it's that good of an album but with the way the scene is right now, I can see this being a good album.

It starts off sort of strong with some callbacks to their older Trap roots then transitions to a more middling Future Bass influenced climax and then fully ends with Future Bass/Trap.

It's a decent album. Not bad, not good. Could see these tracks being better if they were VIP mixed or remixed by the rest of The Barong family.

subwilde

Not really into much trap but this track is pretty dope. Never heard of this dude tho

NtebtFz.png

La De Da - LUUDE

mr stroke

It was great, wish I got more though. Joel himself played for like an hour and a half, No Mana was good stuff before him, so were all the guys after although they didn't play quite as much techno. Seeing the cube performance today

nfS6AuP.jpg

Being at Output did Joel play mostly Techno, was it packed, and did he wear the mousey helmet ?

mr stroke

Not feeling this new Deorro album at all, I was expecting all big room EDM which its not, but none of the tracks work for me.

One stand out track -"let it go" which sounds nothing like typical Deorro..

Not feeling this new Deorro album at all, I was expecting all big room EDM which its not, but none of the tracks work for me.

One stand out track -"let it go" which sounds nothing like typical Deorro..

Lol, welcome to the party! I wasn't expecting Big Room bangers but more Bounce bangers. Which there are a couple to a few, I believe? It's such a weird album. Technically it is an EDM album but more..... Experimental, Popish, Indie, Music with not much Dance incorporated.

It's a weird direction that Deorro went with.

Aomber

Being at Output did Joel play mostly Techno, was it packed, and did he wear the mousey helmet ?
Haha sorry, was on my phone earlier and couldn't say much.

Yes it was an entirely techno set with mau5y music thrown in. The other sets afterwards were good too (feed me, attlas, blackgummy) but I wish those guys played a bit more techno, still fun though. He didn't wear the helmet at all at Output, and it was very packed, entirely sold out.

That said I saw his full cube setup tonight. Beautiful show, loved every minute of it, and he rickrolled the crowd for april fools lmao. The cube this time is A LOT bigger than his old one. Crowd at Output was far better, people were pretty obnoxious with their phones at the Cube show, usually don't mind phones too much and I understand keeping memories but so many people had them out constantly, it got ridiculous.

mr stroke

Haha sorry, was on my phone earlier and couldn't say much.

Yes it was an entirely techno set with mau5y music thrown in. The other sets afterwards were good too (feed me, attlas, blackgummy) but I wish those guys played a bit more techno, still fun though. He didn't wear the helmet at all at Output, and it was very packed, entirely sold out.

That said I saw his full cube setup tonight. Beautiful show, loved every minute of it, and he rickrolled the crowd for april fools lmao. The cube this time is A LOT bigger than his old one. Crowd at Output was far better, people were pretty obnoxious with their phones at the Cube show, usually don't mind phones too much and I understand keeping memories but so many people had them out constantly, it got ridiculous.

I've always found this fascinating (even though I've done it drunk many times)
We go to a concert, see it live in person, then take out our phones to video, when we all know its going to look and sound like shit, and we will probably never watch it lol.

Huh.... I wonder why Ummet has incorporated the Hardstyle kicks into his songs now.... Reminding me a bit like Yellow Claw. Ummet had the DV&LM remix that started off weak and ended off with a Hardstyle climax.

Interdasting. Interdasting indeed....

Aomber

Just heading back home from New York. Man, that weekend with deadmau5 at output then Hammerstein was pretty special. It was surreal, I haven't seen mau5 live since 2011, and back then he was the guy who first got me interested in electronic production. It was something I had absolutely no clue about before discovering his music, and just seeing him after six years of love for electronic music, coming back after so many crazy experiences like going to events and making all the music I have, it was really special for me.

Inspired to go back, put my head down, and write as much music as I can. Wanna work on a bunch of instrumental tracks especially right now

Edit: Fun fact, in 2011 I made my own mau5head. It got stolen at a party a couple years later unfortunately. Will post pics if anyone is interested lol

subwilde

Just heading back home from New York. Man, that weekend with deadmau5 at output then Hammerstein was pretty special. It was surreal, I haven't seen mau5 live since 2011, and back then he was the guy who first got me interested in electronic production. It was something I had absolutely no clue about before discovering his music, and just seeing him after six years of love for electronic music, coming back after so many crazy experiences like going to events and making all the music I have, it was really special for me.

Inspired to go back, put my head down, and write as much music as I can. Wanna work on a bunch of instrumental tracks especially right now

Edit: Fun fact, in 2011 I made my own mau5head. It got stolen at a party a couple years later unfortunately. Will post pics if anyone is interested lol

That's awesome to hear man! Glad you had a good time...But speaking of the bolded...We should collab on some music!!

Aomber

That's awesome to hear man! Glad you had a good time...But speaking of the bolded...We should collab on some music!!
Thanks! And I would, but right now I'm in a place where I generally shy away from producer collabs. It's just that I love the aspect of having a vision that's completely my own having come from bands previously. Don't get me wrong though, I like what you're doing, by all means share your stuff any time you feel like

Not sure if anything about this has been posted yet, but as someone who grew up listening to House music in the nineties, French techno etc. I just started watching this 20 minutes in, and I am really enjoying it and finding it quite informative... Who knew Pitchfork can produce a decent music documentary.

I think it kind of deserves its own thread, but anyhoo, A must watch for those here who grew up on the nineties House, EDM scene. (Bought thier Daft Punk Homework CD in 1997)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StW8rsK5kdE

Aomber

Best view of inside the mau5 cube so far.

https://youtu.be/t1936qjSxLg

Gear in the cube:

- custom Microsoft touch surface with custom OSC software
- Presonus studiolive mixer
- Moog Voyager
- Moog little phatty
- Virus ti2 desktop
- behringer deepmind 12 (I want this)

You guys and girls know what it is today! >_> <_<

That's right, I, EDM-GAF's The Chainsmoker's fan, bring you the newest album from the lovely and best duo: Memories... Do Not Open.

In order of upload time:

ChainsmokersVEVO said:

In order of the list above:

Lol
Lol
Lol, probably THE BEST SONG ON THIS ALBUM &#55357;&#56495; &#55357;&#56613;
Hm.... It's got Emily Warren tho
Jhené Aiko tho
Emily Warren tho
Hm.... A bit "hard" but still too soft
Lol

I give this album a Wait Let Me Laugh Even Harder/10 &#55357;&#56397;

Highly, highly recommend this album. Here have a &#55357;&#56414; for no reason.

Oh and uh..... There is this new Martin Garrix track, BYTE.

And a new Tritonal track, Hey MaMaMa.

Man, this Chainsmokers album is not at all what I was hoping for from them. Mad disappointed. It Won't Kill Ya is the only track that even somewhat appeals to me.

:(

Aomber

The Chainsmokers have released their newest album called "Memories... Do Not Open", and it goes without saying that they have had a tremendous impact on the industry over the last year. I have to say, there is clearly a reason why they've made a name for themselves, because this album represents some of the best EDM we've ever seen. The duo has taken a liking for making what people are referring to as "future bass" music. See it's very trappy kind of music, like a nice big thick hip hop beat, but with some totally original music ideas behind it, and best of all the sound effects. The one that stands out the most is how in the leads of the song you get this "vrooooom, VROOOOOOOOM", oh boy I just can't get enough of that!

On that note I think the one thing that stands out about this album is just how unique it is, with every song sounding completely different. Oh no, there is nothing generic or repeated here whatsoever, and it definitely stands out from being just a cheesy boyband. Florida Georgia Line especially make a tremendous contribution to the album, I mean how could they not, being one of the world's leading Country bands with stellar featured guests on their past works like Nelly and Jason Derulo. Not to mention, Drew Haggart's recently pursued vocal performances are absolutely stunning, challenging the likes of some of the best Pop vocalists we've seen in the past decade. Coldplay makes a stunning appearance too with Chris Martin just hands down writing the best lyrics Coldplay has ever seen across any of their work since the band formed, and I gotta say his skills were put to good use with these two fraternity brothers.

I give this album a "Pussy is always number one"/10. I recommend people "Do Not Open" this album.

Whew. Glad we are in agreement, Aomber. Truly one of this year's best album bar none. The duo are such great engineers in the music industry. These two deserve every reward and award later this year.

Drew is also one of the best vocalist and singer in the entire world. His vocals range from deep to deep, if you know what I mean. Let's also not forget about how great a producer Alex is with his.... Prowess in musical production.

I also love how you tell people Do Not Open this album because it is just that GOOD. An album too good to open is one that should never be opened ;_;

The Chainsmoker's are clearly one of the best things to ever grace this world.

&#65533;&#65533; &#65533;&#65533; &#65533;&#65533;

Aomber

Whew. Glad we are in agreement, Aomber. Truly one of this year's best album bar none. The duo are such great engineers in the music industry. These two deserve every reward and award later this year.

Drew is also one of the best vocalist and singer in the entire world. His vocals range from deep to deep, if you know what I mean. Let's also not forget about how great a producer Alex is with his.... Prowess in musical production.

I also love how you tell people Do Not Open this album because it is just that GOOD. An album too good to open is one that should never be opened ;_;

The Chainsmoker's are clearly one of the best things to ever grace this world.

&#65533;&#65533; &#65533;&#65533; &#65533;&#65533;
Hahahaha

In all seriousness I actually have to credit the mixing/engineering on some of their songs. Because it wasn't done by them. Nothing necessarily "wrong" with mix engineers, but it's worth mentioning credit where credit is due.

Live Mix Session: 'The Chainsmokers' "Closer"

You know I was disappointed. I knew I was going to be disappointed, lol.

I still can't believe Drew and his team made a Boy Band song..... The bad thing is is that it's actually so bad compared to the lower tiers of Boy Band Pop songs.

The ending is perhaps the best parts of the album and that's due to the strong vocal supports of Aiko, Louane, and Warren. The best songs that are the closest to their old sound (DLMD, Roses) also happen to have the best vocals that don't include Drew. Which goes to show.... Drew, you need to stop singing in every song.

The beginning is modern Chainsmoker's. Very Poppy. Little to no EDM productions. The middle is just that. The middle. It's middling. It's not good nor is it really bad. While the end was what many fans were wanting. More EDM productions and sounds. You can hear glimpses of DLMD, Roses, and a tinge of Waterbed/UYWG. But it's not enough and you can clearly hear the difference of their modern style even when the beat drops, it was still a Pop-EDM drop.

This album made Tritonal's last album sound way better than I thought it did (and I was drunk!). I would not recommend the album at all to folks in here. I wouldn't recommend it to casual listeners either. It's just not a good album. Like Aomber said, the mixing is good but you can tell that wasn't done by the duo.

If there is one song or two songs that would get radio play I would say Wake Up Alone and It Won't Kill Ya. Mainly because of the vocal support from Aiko and Louane. I expect the rest to be heavily remixed by nearly everybody except Aomber, lol.

Aomber

On a more impressive note, I know I've been speaking about Gorillaz to death lately, but Damon Albarn confirmed he did pretty much all the work for this new album on his iPad again. Pretty amazing that we've gotten to the point where top tier artists can create amazing music with so little technology, it's easier than ever to get into creating music.

https://youtu.be/C9VjZ7bxFO4?t=3m40s

If there is one song or two songs that would get radio play I would say Wake Up Alone and It Won't Kill Ya. Mainly because of the vocal support from Aiko and Louane. I expect the rest to be heavily remixed by nearly everybody except Aomber, lol.
Bahaha you got me there.

Remixes are a strange beast for me because I'm not necessarily against remixing The Chainsmokers, it's just that I haven't heard anything I would want to remix. For example I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of Bieber or Ariana (maybe a couple songs), but at the end of the day, I can see potential in a good vocal performance and good songwriting. That said, I also shy away from what everyone and their grandmother does. The Chainsmokers get remixed to death and surprisingly some other big pop acts don't necessarily.

What's bad is.... The album doesn't have the catchyness of their top songs, ya know? Like you listen to Paris, Closer, DLMD, Roses, Something Just Like This and you just know they will get radio play everywhere. This album lacks that oomph that their previous songs had.

Is it the shift in engineers/mixers and producers? Possibly. You listen to their old songs and even though they are generic as fuuuuck, these songs from this album seems more generic than before.

Is that what we call their peak? I wouldn't doubt it since EDM stars don't last that long in the mainstream media unless they produce bangers after bangers like a Zedd or a Garrix.

I think we are really close to seeing their decline in the mainstream eye.

Aomber

Producer Bros: After watching that iPad interview and hearing from guys like Hans Zimmer previously, I decided to jump the gun and pick up an iPad DAW... Got myself this guy for 20 bucks for writing down ideas on the go. Lets you directly export to cloud storage as an Ableton Project File :D

http://www.korg.com/us/products/software/korg_gadget/for_ios.php

What's bad is.... The album doesn't have the catchyness of their top songs, ya know? Like you listen to Paris, Closer, DLMD, Roses, Something Just Like This and you just know they will get radio play everywhere. This album lacks that oomph that their previous songs had.

Is it the shift in engineers/mixers and producers? Possibly. You listen to their old songs and even though they are generic as fuuuuck, these songs from this album seems more generic than before.

Is that what we call their peak? I wouldn't doubt it since EDM stars don't last that long in the mainstream media unless they produce bangers after bangers like a Zedd or a Garrix.

I think we are really close to seeing their decline in the mainstream eye.
It's really tricky to be an EDM producer. I feel like you have to decide early on in your career if you want to follow EDM or do your own thing. My buddy knows the guys from Adventure Club and apparently they're investing in businesses now because their music is starting to slow down - what they do just isn't as popular since it was popular just for a given time. I don't blame the guys who follow the trends because if you jump into that when you start a career, it's hard to keep going without continuing that. There's some guys who I don't think need to do that, like Zedd, but what can ya do.

Also to be clear, I didn't mean to say that they don't produce. There's videos online of them producing, I just meant strictly from an engineering standpoint they get mixing engineers to make their music "sound good". The creative side and generic nature of their music is entirely the duo's responsibility

Yeah and that's the thing with EDM. A genre shift will only last for so long and if that's your genre? You're fucked :/

Some have to adapt or die. That's just the truth of nearly any industry.

Memories Do Not Open is ok but it isn't much of an EDM record. It is on the trajectory they started going on since Roses. Its something you'll put on at a party to have as contemporary background music.

I'm more with Martin Garrix with Scared to be Lonely with the a crossover hit as it has the vibe but maintains its EDM electronic grounding.

I think I'm a Kaskade / Morgan Page man.

Yeah, Scared To Be Lonely and etc. are more likely to stay relevant because of their sound. The combo between EDM, Future Bass, and Pop makes them decent tracks while the newest TCM tracks don't offer that same sound.

DMczaf

Memories Do Not Open is ok but it isn't much of an EDM record. It is on the trajectory they started going on since Roses. Its something you'll put on at a party to have as contemporary background music.

I'm more with Martin Garrix with Scared to be Lonely with the a crossover hit as it has the vibe but maintains its EDM electronic grounding.

I think I'm a Kaskade / Morgan Page man.

tenor.gif

mr stroke

Not sure if anything about this has been posted yet, but as someone who grew up listening to House music in the nineties, French techno etc. I just started watching this 20 minutes in, and I am really enjoying it and finding it quite informative... Who knew Pitchfork can produce a decent music documentary.

I think it kind of deserves its own thread, but anyhoo, A must watch for those here who grew up on the nineties House, EDM scene. (Bought thier Daft Punk Homework CD in 1997)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StW8rsK5kdE

good watch

Aomber

I've mentioned this before but I occasionally like to contribute something non EDM related if I'm really shocked by it. This is one of those times &#8211; I am absolutely not a One Direction fan, never been a fan of the boyband thing or just the general style of music they made. However, I'm always open to exceptions, was watching theneedledrop and he spoke about the new Harry Styles single being genuinely great. Decided to check it out and I was pretty blown away by the quality songwriting here, just a classy song that borrows some nice Bowie & Queen inspiration. Would recommend checking this one out!

Harry Styles - Sign of the Times (Audio)

ghK7JR6.jpg

I never got a chance to comment on this but this is a fantastic track. It took me a few listens for it to grow on me, at first I thought he was trying to do too much with all the different vocalists but it somehow works. Hits a good spot with me, liking this direction that Calvin has decided to go.

As mr stroke mentioned I'd like to see him go in a different direction for DJing but what can ya do, he plays for the big bucks

Top Bottom