• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD will no longer release monthly hardware/software unit sales

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
See y'all every quarter in the fiscal threads, I guess.

edit - well, maybe the platform holders will be nice and release figures. But I dunno if all will, or will want to :lol

luxarific

Nork unification denier
elrechazao said:
No, they're excited, because now they can make shit up without anyone being able to prove them wrong. "Halo sold 19 million in the first month" "oh yeah? well killzone 3 and uncharted 3 outsold the original super mario bro in their first ten minutes"

No, they'll base it on Amazon ranking. :lol :lol

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
So, any links for the full story? I can't manage to find it on the NPD site.

Edit: Found it...

captmcblack said:
Seriously, how much would it cost to subscribe and get that info?

GAF should get that info. Fuck hiding that information for no good reason.

its expensive. Is it $10,000 a year? Everybody that cares would have to donate like $10-15, not gonna happen.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Gomu Gomu said:
Fuck, things were gonna get interesting with the Kinect/Move releases. Curse you NPD.
*puts on tinfoil hat*

Sadist

One of the reasons why I started lurking on GAF... gone.

25ouf4j.jpg

April 2008 NEVER FORGET

Lebron

It's for the better, the NPD threads are not what they use to be. We know going in that it's normally Wii/DS on top with the occasional glitch in the matrix(aka 360). The epic days of GBA vs PS3 or PS2 vs 360 are long behind us.

So I wonder which of the big three spat the dummy to make this happen? I'd be surprised if it didn't have something to do with one of them not wanting NPD releasing the figures.

Now I guess we'll have to see how often the manufacturers choose to release the data themselves... which I guess will only happen if they crush the opposition. That, or we'll get the usual "16% increase over the Thursday to Tuesday period vs 2008" sort of useless stat.

jett

D-Member
Cygnus X-1 said:
That's not the problem. Even if they were, this is a public website and thus reporting them here would be an abuse.

I remember when the entire spreadsheet got leaked...those were the good times. Sales-Age in GAF has been complete crap since that was verboten. The real fun was following the sales of your favorite games month-to-month.

Psychotext said:
So I wonder which of the big three spat the dummy to make this happen? I'd be surprised if it didn't have something to do with one of them not wanting NPD releasing the figures.

Now I guess we'll have to see how often the manufacturers choose to release the data themselves... which I guess will only happen if they crush the opposition. That, or we'll get the usual "16% increase over the Thursday to Tuesday period vs 2008" sort of useless stat.
It was ms to cover up the failure of kinect
It was Sony to cover up the failure to ever beat MS or Nintendo and/or cover up the failure of Move.
It was Nintendo to cover up the fact that the Wii has fallen off the perch and/or to cover up the inevitable lackluster 3ds sales.

Attention all fanboys, please proceed to make one of the preceeding arguments.

Ricker

So i`ll be sad now playing an awesome game like Castlevania,not knowing if it bomba or not... :lol

We saw that coming,for software sales anyway...what where we getting in the last months? the top 5 sellers and just standings for the rest,it didn`t include this and that,exceptions here etc etc...

Sucks for Hardware sales though,I liked that.

Gravijah

Lebron said:
It's for the better, the NPD threads are not what they use to be. We know going in that it's normally Wii/DS on top with the occasional glitch in the matrix(aka 360). The epic days of GBA vs PS3 or PS2 vs 360 are long behind us.

Who cares about the threads? :/

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Guevara said:
How will we know who is winning!

EmCeeGramr said:
Then how will we know who's winning.

:lol

Just to get these out there:

Then how will we know who's winning?
Then how will we know who's winning; Who honestly gives a shit, meanwhile?

So, Sales-GAF will be randomly banned any day of the month now that their threads are gone, right? :p

elrechazao said:
It was Sony to cover up the failure to ever beat MS or Nintendo and/or cover up the failure of Move.
It was Nintendo to cover up the fact that the Wii has fallen off the perch and/or to cover up the inevitable lackluster 3ds sales.

:lol

I thought the banned site was really bad, truth is it aint that bad at all in regard to numbers...now members is a different subject :( Instead of banning people for mentioning a site which to me is childish practice maybe GAF should hook up with them.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Nirolak said:
Of course NPD is giving numbers to their subscribers.

Why would they subscribe otherwise?
we'll see. How I'm reading it is that if you are media, no numbers for you. If you read above, it says "hardware and software subscribers" meaning that if you are a hardware manufacturer/subscriber you can release numbers for your own products.

So it isn't really told if numbers are being released to anyone else beyond the publishers/manufacturers.

As for why anyone would still subscribe, because this is still the only way to get ANY data.. it's just now the data has become a lot less valuable.

and I agree with the conspiracy theories, though not necessarily that it was only MS
probably was
. Bottom line is that NPD month in and month out devalues a lot of properties and IPs out there a lot more than they may otherwise be devalued without the pitiful sales reports to drag them down. Without NPD telling me, just from anecdotal evidence, I would strongly believe PS3 is in second place in the US just judging from most of the stores I see sales in.. Clearly that's not the case though. Is ignorance bliss? Maybe, but definitely more desirable than a shot to the nuts for some of these companies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ash Sparrow said:
I thought the banned site was really bad, truth is it aint that bad at all in regard to numbers...now members is a different subject :( Instead of banning people for mentioning a site which to me is childish practice maybe GAF should hook up with them.

The desperation is already setting in! :p

Ash Sparrow said:
It ain't gonna happen. The owner has bad blood with this forum. And without NPD numbers to correct his cheesy guesses, his numbers are going to off by more than ever now.

elrechazao said:

Yup, this is how it'll be without numbers.

Sadist

Regulus Tera said:
GTAIV? :lol
GTA IV WILL MAKE SURE PEOPLE WILL BUY THE HD CONSOLES, IT'S THE MOST POPULAR FRANCHISE OUTTHERE THE WII HAD IT'S FUN TIME TO GO AWAY

*NPD April 2008 results roll in*

THIS... THIS ISN'T HAPPENING

itxaka

Defeatist
So kinect will sell millions and we won't have numbers :_(

I knew MS was right. This was Sony and Nintendo pressing them to not be ashamed when Kinect wins the generation.

LCfiner

Aw man. just when NPD was gonna be interesting again, what with the new Move, Kinect and Xmas shopping season coming up.

:(

Struct09

Gamecocks625 said:
Let the GAF account suicides begin...

This will actually probably save a number of GAF accounts. Just think back to all the Junior Members who lost their accounts over past NPD threads.

I hope we get some kind of numbers to work with, NPD threads are tons of fun.

kswiston

Time to release NeoGAF+. $50 a year, with access to NPD numbers on a private sub-forum for subscribers. Only need 200 members to break even!

Didn't gaf have some kind of formal or informal "deal" with npd that "we won't release full numbers leaks if you throw us a bone and provide some minimal numbers we can discuss" Or was that generally the thought behind their releasing of any numbers in the first place? Seems like all bets will be off now, and if not on gaf, they'll at least be out there even more since there is no "release" valve for the desired information anymore.

tldr? Squeeze harder to control the info, more will slip out than you originally were leaking.

Barrett2

Kobun Heat said:
Nature abhors a vacuum. Shitty data will increase to fill the void.

Guys, guys.... I just got back from visiting every Best Buy in the NYC area. I took exhaustive inventory notes in each store, as well as talked to employees. Based on this, and a creative formula I came up with, I think I may have salvaged this month's NPD numbers. Here they are:

- 360 (900,000 units)
- PS3 (45,000 units)
- Move (7,897,456 units)
- Halo Reach (78,000 units)

Top Bottom