• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So a vegan just left the dinner table to sit outside

PJV3

That's not what I meant.

What I meant was, maybe he hadn't had to eat around people eating meat for awhile and didn't realize he'd have an issue with it. Why does he have to have some ulterior motive?

Yeah, if the rest of the time he's being nice and friendly then it should just be overlooked as something important to him.

ty_hot

I would politely invite him for another dinner where he would be welcomed with a beautiful pig with an apple in the mouth at the center of the table.

norm9

What I meant was, maybe he hadn't had to eat around people eating meat for awhile and didn't realize he'd have an issue with it. Why does he have to have some ulterior motive?

Suck it up during dinner and talk to your therapist about it next time. Or post to the militant vegan facebook group he probably belongs to.

Zips

Take one of the cooked fish and swim it by the window they are sitting outside. (The more of the fish there is, the better)

Otherwise I would shrug off such drama. Not worth my time or interest, and impacts them more than me.

Just wanted to bring this back up for those just joining us:

They have been vegan for about a year. This is the first time they have done this

He is normally a nice guy. Definitely not an asshole

I think what has happened is similar to how any ideological bubble forms. They started socializing almost exclusively with vegans. Joined Facebook groups to find vegan recipes and in the group started talking about how the milk industry is basically raping cows. And you enter a parallel universe where I guess you think this is acceptable behavior

I was probably a bit of an asshole in this situation. I made more of a scene than I should have by questioning the behaviour

Dude had no problem being not-vegan in 2016.

Futureman

Just for the sake of this thread, were I in this situation I cease interacting with this person altogether. If I was stuck on this trip with them, I would buy a 20 pack of chicken nuggets as often as needed and pack my pockets with them, eating them whenever I could, leaving them in seats and beds around the place we were staying.

damn you got a Peaks avatar but you are a piece of crap. Hmmm.

Vegan dude in OP acted like a little baby but I think people could show more respect towards people's choices. Like Illitarati is most likely joking above, but I bet some people would actually act similar to his post which makes you just as bad as the guy storming out of the dinner because people are eating fish in front of him.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Oh grow up people. These are the kind of stone age attitudes we need to move past. We don't fucking whine about it. We eat what we get. But how fucking nice would you feel if you were invited somewhere, and the table is full of food, and then out on the far corner are a few bowls with the crap you can eat?

It will make you think that maybe we'll just decline next time. It's not like cooking a vegan meal for one day is gonna require a lot from, well, anyone. It's as simple as saying "let's try a vegan lasanga tonight instead of the one we usually make".

How does it make sense to instead make one ordinary lasagna, then maybe one extra lasagna, or maybe not an extra vegan lasagna. The vegans can just eat the lettuce, right? They like that.

How hard is it to understand that cooking a vegan meal is just that, a meal? We're having the vegans over, so let's try a vegan one! It's not like it's dangerous. Heøl, you might even like it.

What an hilariously un-self aware post loool.

If you are very apologetic, there is a way to not be disrespectful in doing this. Still pretty ridiculous. People eating meat near you is fairly unavoidable.

shandy706

Oh grow up people. These are the kind of stone age attitudes we need to move past. We don't fucking whine about it. We eat what we get. But how fucking nice would you feel if you were invited somewhere, and the table is full of food, and then out on the far corner are a few bowls with the crap you can eat?

It will make you think that maybe we'll just decline next time. It's not like cooking a vegan meal for one day is gonna require a lot from, well, anyone. It's as simple as saying "let's try a vegan lasanga tonight instead of the one we usually make".

How does it make sense to instead make one ordinary lasagna, then maybe one extra lasagna, or maybe not an extra vegan lasagna. The vegans can just eat the lettuce, right? They like that.

How hard is it to understand that cooking a vegan meal is just that, a meal? We're having the vegans over, so let's try a vegan one! It's not like it's dangerous. Heøl, you might even like it.

They don't have to though. I'm not going to a Vegan's house and expecting a burger.

They're on vacation...it's not ONE MEAL.

nicanica

Are we reading a completely different thread? When did he throw a tantrum and when did he waste food?

So, I just had a family dinner. My sister and her husband are vegans. The food was delicious oven-baked cod and there were was a vegan alternative for my sister and her husband.

He declared that he would not be able to sit at the same table where dead fish was being consumed and left to eat outside, followed by my sister.

Ooop, my bad, he took the meal outside.

But rule of thumb, unless you're making a toast to the fine meal, you don't declare shit when someone's hosting you dinner.

KHarvey16

That's not what I meant.

I'd say unless they're recluses or no one wants to hang out with them, they've eaten with other people. Surely if you couldn't even stomach a meal around other people eating fish you'd have some inkling it might be an issue and plan ahead.

It's inexcusable either way. If it was a surprise, be an adult and get through it once.

Quixzlizx

You sound self-absorbed to me.

Speaking of lasagna, I don't like dishes that are smothered in melted cheese. So when I ate at a family function where a dish like that was going to be the main course, there'd be pasta and sauce for me. I appreciated that effort instead of being bitter that everyone else was eating something different from me, because that makes no fucking sense, honestly.

I'm not sure how that would make him dumb. There's no way in hell you personally know every single thing that would bother you about a situation in advance. Sometimes people have revelations.

A vegan not liking meat is a revelation?

wilsonda

Was your sister a vegan before him? Dude sounds like an asshole.

Kick his ass with your meat-powered muscles.

Definitely had me dying...

Depends on if he does this all the time... I can understand it but eating meat is a pretty normale thing.. it seems like he would have a tough life

I feel like we only have one side of the story. I'd love to hear what the other side of the story is.
"All we wanted to do was have a nice healthy dinner. Then out of nowhere my inlaws brought out this slaughtered soul on a plate. I was not going to sit there and just watch these monsters tear into the flesh of this once free living being who probably had a family. So I did what any honorable person should do and stepped outside so I didnt have to bear witness to the barbarism of these souless brutes"

Astral Dog

I would laught it off 😂

They are being a bit silly don't they? i would understand if there was no alternative though, or if you were eating a puppy 😣

Moze

Banned
I really don't get the replies in this thread. Why is him leaving the table politely a problem? Would it be better if he just refused to show up with an excuse of ''I can't enter a house where meat is being consumed.''?

He didn't tell anyone to leave. He didn't tell anyone to stop eating meat. He politely left because he didn't feel comfortable being around meat being consumed. There is nothing wrong with that. I feel this thread is just a stealth vegan hate circle jerk.

He's acting like an idiot. If he had a problem with this then he should have communicated it beforehand, but it's fucking selfish to make a scene and expect everyone else to change to accommodate him. What an arsehole.

I mean if someone said they wouldn't eat at the table for religious reasons would you think something was wrong with them or just let it be? If they got up, explained why, and then excused themselves in a polite manner then I'm okay with that.

Ishan

this is rubbish. Im from india and we often have many ppl who are vegetarian. (In fact many indian dishes are vegan too) . If we have someoen coming over who doesnt like non vegetarian we dont make everything vegetarian. If you go out with someone who is vegetarian we dont all order only vegetarian. The host usually makes their normal food and something extra for the vegetarian person. Of course if the vegetarian person is the host then it usually is all vegetarian. In fact some vegetarian hosts who used to be non vegetarian sometimes even go the extra mile and cook something non vegetarian for guests even if they eat only vegetarian. The minority food preference is accodmodated with a extra dish or two. Not by upending the entire meal.

They were relatively polite.

They didn't go into "I only see Death" mode until after I had questioned him about the behaviour, and if I had kept my mouth shut he probably wouldn't have gone there

If this was the case, and the guy was actually respectful about it, then it wouldn't really bother me that much.

But the fact that this is your family vacation and now you mentioned you're all being handcuffed to a vegetarian diet is ridiculous and incredibly selfish of him – especially when special meals are being made for him.

His sister bagged quite the intellectual then.

lol

Permanently A

I don't think he did anything wrong. Maybe it was in his tone or something, but if he doesn't want to eat next to a dead fish no one is forcing him too. All these concerns about his future and stuff - that's on him. As far as I can tell he politely excused himself and you're overthinking it.

shandy706

If this was the case, and the guy was actually respectful about it, then it wouldn't really bother me that much.

But the fact that this is your family vacation and now you mentioned you're all being handcuffed to a vegetarian diet is ridiculous and incredibly selfish of him – especially when special meals are being made for him.

Yep..you don't force your way on others.

I'd still always respect the host though. That's my own moral stance though.

As a carnivore, I would not walk out on family time if they were serving me a vegetarian meal. That would be rude of me. I guess vegetarians are just more intolerant than carnivores/omnivores.

PJV3

I really don't get the replies in this thread. Why is him leaving the table politely a problem? Would it be better if he just refused to show up with an excuse of ''I can't enter a house where meat is being consumed.''?

He didn't tell anyone to leave. He didn't tell anyone to stop eating meat. He politely left because he didn't feel comfortable being around meat being consumed. There is nothing wrong with that. I feel this thread is just a stealth vegan hate circle jerk.

Someone has to be wrong and someone has to be right in every situation where people think differently.

So by this logic if I go to a vegan household we'll all be having steak then right?

KillLaCam

Banned

Only If the same vegan would cook me some steak if I go over to their house.
But i'd never expect or even want them to do that.

I have a bunch of vegan friends who know I'll probably never make a vegan dish in my life. They know If I'm at their house they're not gonna allow any meat and if we go out to eat itll usually be to at-least a vegetarian place. But they're not gonna come over to my house and expect everyone to be eating Vegan. 1 or 2 guests don't get special treatment like that

Futureman

Check hubby's closet for animal free clothes. I'm sure he's got some hypocritical stuff there.

Always trying to stick it to vegans. Yea I was there too. Just let it go. Doubt the guy has clothes with leather if he feels so strongly about veganism that he'll leave the dinner table because others are eating meat.

Some vegans do still buy 2nd hand leather or slowly phase out parts of their wardrobe that had animal parts before they went vegan.

Pinkuss

Check hubby's closet for animal free clothes. I'm sure he's got some hypocritical stuff there.

Why, why the aggression here? And just why would animal free clothing be so hard (Vegans you know usually research stuff, including glue).

Agreeing with the circle jerk post above, these threads always end up toxic.

He could of handled it better, don't go or don't make a scene but the aggression is toxic online, it really is. This board has always seemed like a fairly friendly place, but the mention of Vegans and it's nuggets and take the piss time...

Ricky_R

Actually, I would go outside with a big piece of fish and
giphy.gif

I wouldn't appreciate someone coming into my parents house, who went out of their way to cook a vegan option for them to disrespect them in their own fucking house. I would have followed him outside and told him he was no longer welcome and it was time for him to leave. Followed with...

"Don't bother coming back here in the future until you can act like an adult and have respect for my parents and their house."

Then respond accordingly depending on whatever stupid answer he had.

The rest of the world doesn't need to alter just because you made a choice. It's totally cool if you want to be vegan but everyone else shouldn't be subjected to it because of you. That's the reality. Don't go to the dinner if you are mad people are responding to your choice.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Sounds perfectly reasonable. A quick google search shows the abhorrent process of putting animal products on our table - perhaps it made him feel uneasy. It doesn't sound like he had any ulterior motive. He simply didn't feel comfortable.

You might be a little biased, Bass260.

Top Bottom