• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot: N.Sane Trilogy |OT| N.Teresting and N.Tertaining N.Fographics With-N

Decided to try and platinum Crash 2, I'm in the 4th warp room so far with 4 platinums relics, 14 gold, and 2 sapphire.

Anyone have any tips for the relic of Hangin out on Crash 2? Fastest I got was 1:06 and the gold is 1:03

TheOGB

Banned
Decided to try and platinum Crash 2, I'm in the 4th warp room so far with 4 platinums relics, 14 gold, and 2 sapphire.

Anyone have any tips for the relic of Hangin out on Crash 2? Fastest I got was 1:06 and the gold is 1:03
Beat the game first, then go for relics.

Otherwise, slide jumping is a good way to move quickly.

gamerMan

I was surprised how much I liked this remake. I didn't think the gameplay of the Crash Bandicoot games would hold up to day and in many ways it doesn't. The collision detection, movement, and camera is hot garbage, but somehow the game is still fun. You have to adjust to the game's shitty game mechanics to have fun and I find the digital controls work better.

I still think the Donkey Kong Country games are far superior and I don't really find these Crash games challenging compared to the Donkey Kong series. The only time you really die is because of the game's poor game play mechanics or an error in telling depth.

Generally, I hate remakes, but this one surprised me as I thought that Crash games were forgettable. I really hope that Crash Team Racing gets remade as I never played the original but have heard so many great things about that game.

Tapejara

I was surprised how much I liked this remake. I didn't think the gameplay of the Crash Bandicoot games would hold up to day and in many ways it doesn't. The collision detection, movement, and camera is hot garbage, but somehow the game is still fun. You have to adjust to the game's shitty game mechanics to have fun and I find the digital controls work better.

I still think the Donkey Kong Country games are far superior and I don't really find these Crash games challenging compared to the Donkey Kong series. The only time you really die is because of the game's poor game play mechanics or an error in telling depth.

Generally, I hate remakes, but this one surprised me as I thought that Crash games were forgettable. I really hope that Crash Team Racing gets remade as I never played the original but have heard so many great things about that game.

This is mostly a problem with the remake. The originals don't suffer from these issues.

.Anema

Yay! Finally got the 3 platinum trophies. My child memories are so happy :D!
Also, Warped! platinum/gold relics are really easy. Almost first try after finished Crash 1 and 2.

crashplatinumyayadj4s.jpg

HardRojo

Slowly working towards the Crash 2 Plat. Got 5 more relics today but Evo weekend is stalling my playtime. I'll try to get some more tomorrow and once I finish I'll go all in on that Warped.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Went back to get some gems after losing all my lives to The High Road. Returned with 99 lives and lost maybe 6 in finishing it.

Then I was greeted with Slippery Climb.

Nah, actually Slippery Climb wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. The big thing is how few checkpoints there are. But I beat it with my lives still in the high 80s, and even went back and managed to get the red gem on my first attempt. That Brio bonus level is tough stuff though.

I'm playing through Crash for the first time and made it to Road To Nowhere. Is it supposed to be this hard? The game was challenging before but this seems like it's on another level

Finally got the Platinum on Crash 2. The hardest parts were the gold relics for Hangin Out, Cold Hard Crash and Spaced Out. Spaced Out especially took me like an hour and a half to get it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Especially for the deathless runs I don't understand why a restart option isn't included. Having to quit out and re-enter is annoying since you have to hit all the checkpoints for the boxes. The time trials have it, should be there for regular runs as well.

Managed to get about half of the gems in Crash 1, but decided to move on to Crash 2 for now.

Demoskinos

Especially for the deathless runs I don't understand why a restart option isn't included. Having to quit out and re-enter is annoying since you have to hit all the checkpoints for the boxes. The time trials have it, should be there for regular runs as well.

Managed to get about half of the gems in Crash 1, but decided to move on to Crash 2 for now.

Yeah, my one big complaint about the game especially since they put that option in there for time trials. Like....what?

TP-DK

Finally managed to get gold relics in High Road and Sunset Vista. Those two have definately been the hardest levels to get gold, in the whole trilogy for me.

I'm only missing a gold relic for The Lab then I got all three platinum trophies. Surprisingly enough Slippery Climb only took me 3 tries.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member

It wouldnt be nearly as bad if there wasn't a 7-10 second load time when you quit, then a 7-10 second load time to re-enter the level again. When you're trying to do deathless runs on the harder levels and have to do this a ton of times, it's quite infuriating to where i don't even want to bother. I've pushed through them all so far, but yeah, no excuse for a lack of a restart option all the time.

cordy

Banned
I did it. Just Platinum'd Crash 1. 102%. I'm all good. The only thing I haven't done in it is turned 20 Gold relics into Platinum ones but hey I'm all good on that lol.

Tonight I head to Crash 2.

TP-DK

Just platinumed Chrash 1. The Lab was pretty fun in Time Trial, its just one of those levels where it fits perfectly.

After having platinumed all 3 Im still ranking them 2 > 1 > 3.
3 just have too many gimmick levels, plus the actual plstforming levels have more enemies than obstacles.

Demoskinos

So is there any way to see the leaderboards for the two secret Warped levels? Hot Coco and whatever the Dinosaur platforming level is?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yeah, my one big complaint about the game especially since they put that option in there for time trials. Like....what?

It wouldnt be nearly as bad if there wasn't a 7-10 second load time when you quit, then a 7-10 second load time to re-enter the level again. When you're trying to do deathless runs on the harder levels and have to do this a ton of times, it's quite infuriating to where i don't even want to bother. I've pushed through them all so far, but yeah, no excuse for a lack of a restart option all the time.

Yeah I would've attempted the harder deathless levels a few more times if I didn't have to quit out an re-enter every time. Very annoying

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Oh, I may give those a shot.

Time trials are only half the battle....theres no retry option for the levels that require a perfect run with no deaths and all boxes hit. So if youre halfway through a level and die, your current only option is to quit the level and face a 10 second load time to get back to the map, and then select the level again and face another 10 second load time to start again. If you want the platinum youll need to deal with that too in addition to the time trials.

Time trials are only half the battle....theres no retry option for the levels that require a perfect run with no deaths and all boxes hit. So if youre halfway through a level and die, your current only option is to quit the level and face a 10 second load time to get back to the map, and then select the level again and face another 10 second load time to start again. If you want the platinum youll need to deal with that too in addition to the time trials.
That sucks. I'll probably just do the time trials and leave the no death run/boxes for another time. Granted, there were some levels where I got pretty close to getting all the boxes on the first try. So, it may just be a matter of tightening up to avoid deaths.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
That sucks. I'll probably just do the time trials and leave the no death run/boxes for another time. Granted, there were some levels where I got pretty close to getting all the boxes on the first try. So, it may just be a matter of tightening up to avoid deaths.

I'm hoping for a retry option in a patch, in addition to them addressing the load times.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Controversial opinion. Crash 2 is a harder game than Crash 1. The only reason Crash 1 was ever considered harder is because of the save system and the fact you have to do perfect runs for gems. Both of which aren't issues in the remake. High Road is completely fucked in this version but other than that there's no doubt in my mind that Crash 2 provides much more challenge overall.

TP-DK

The no death run is only for the colored gems, so its only 6-7 levels per game.

Controversial opinion. Crash 2 is a harder game than Crash 1. The only reason Crash 1 was ever considered harder is because of the save system and the fact you have to do perfect runs for gems. Both of which aren't issues in the remake. High Road is completely fucked in this version but other than that there's no doubt in my mind that Crash 2 provides much more challenge overall.

I dunno, it feels like there are only 4 hard levels in Crash 2, and they are for gems. Diggin It, Cold Hard Crash, Piston it Away box gems. Technically also Bee-Having gem route, but you can pretty much skip most of that lol.

Never played any of the Crash games before but I just bought this game for $6 off Amazon. Impressions follow:

- Goddamn do the loading times seem long for a game like this...
- Character animations are great, core gameplay is somewhat enjoyable.
- Really not a fan of "needing" to re-play levels multiple times for 100%. I greatly prefer games that let you 100% a level on try one if you've got the skill.
- Why on earth can I "spin away" things like extra lives?
- Physics seem wonky at times. I had quite a few instances where I landed on a platform or box but slid off for some reason. Is the game supposed to be like that?

All in all the game isn't bad, but without the nostalgia factor I can't say I'm really interested in playing these games for much longer. I've only played Crash 1 so far, so please let me know if you think two or three would really "hook" me. Otherwise I think I'll just trade it in for more than I paid.

- Really not a fan of "needing" to re-play levels multiple times for 100%. I greatly prefer games that let you 100% a level on try one if you've got the skill.

Same

It was like that in the originals (for some reason) and was carried over

- Physics seem wonky at times. I had quite a few instances where I landed on a platform or box but slid off for some reason. Is the game supposed to be like that?

No, the collision detection is messy at times in the N. Sane Trilogy, and can make some of the more precision platforming levels like High Road more difficult than the PS1 classics which didn't have the issue

Never played any of the Crash games before but I just bought this game for $6 off Amazon. Impressions follow:

- Goddamn do the loading times seem long for a game like this...
- Character animations are great, core gameplay is somewhat enjoyable.

All in all the game isn't bad, but without the nostalgia factor I can't say I'm really interested in playing these games for much longer. I've only played Crash 1 so far, so please let me know if you think two or three would really "hook" me on playing more. Otherwise I think I'll just trade it in for more than I paid.

Crash 1 has the most crushing difficulty, most platforming.
Crash 2 is the most balanced of the three with balanced variety and enormously improved controls.
Crash 3 is the easiest of the three with a bit too many vehicle segments, but still controls tight and has the most refined level design of the three.

My point being is that the three games are very different from each other, from controls to aesthetic to level design, and since you already have it you might as well try the other games to at least see if they cater to you any better. Crash 1 does not really represent the franchise as a whole. Crash 2 and 3 have more stages that let you 100% them in one go too. I don't really see any other way to implement time trials though, since that mode by it's very nature requires multiple runs to perfect your time.

I think the physics complaint has been noted by everyone. And by no means is it a deal breaker, but more something a patch could address.

Spinning away lives and Wumpas are a staple from the classics. It serves as a balance to prevent someone from simply hammering the spin button into every hazard. You're both tempted and rewarded for precision movement that may otherwise send collectables flying. (you can't spin gems or crystals away though)

Crash 1 has the most crushing difficulty, most platforming.
Crash 2 is the most balanced of the three with balanced variety and enormously improved controls.
Crash 3 is the easiest of the three with a bit too many vehicle segments, but still controls tight and has the most refined level design of the three.

My point being is that the three games are very different from each other, from controls to aesthetic to level design, and since you already have it you might as well try the other games to at least see if they cater to you any better. Crash 1 does not really represent the franchise as a whole. Crash 2 and 3 have more stages that let you 100% them in one go too. I don't really see any other way to implement time trials though, since that mode by it's very nature requires multiple runs to perfect your time.

I think the physics complaint has been noted by everyone. And by no means is it a deal breaker, but more something a patch could address.

Spinning away lives and Wumpas are a staple from the classics. It serves as a balance to prevent someone from simply hammering the spin button into every hazard. You're both tempted and rewarded for precision movement that may otherwise send collectables flying. (you can't spin gems or crystals away though)

This is exactly the kind of response I was looking for! Thank you! I'll probably go try out 2 next and see how I liked it. If I'm more into that, I'll stick with it and play through them all.

cordy

Banned
One thing this game's helped me discover is that it's an amazing game for me when it comes to podcasting gaming. Over the years I've had a lot of podcast games from MGSV to Overwatch to T7 and right now I'm playing this and T7. It's hard for me to do a "story-related" game and listen to podcasts, can't do it. This game though it's filled with platforming, trials, things like that which really helps. Given how long podcasts can be I have no issue constantly replaying levels until I get them down. Sure, there were some nights I turned the game off upset that I couldn't get the gold relic on Road to Nowhere and Jaws of Darkness but I kept it up. I've noticed myself getting better little by little and that's another thing this game's great at that not many are.

It's not easy to see how you improve through time and time again in most games but in a platformer I can see how I'm getting better little by little. I love the improvement I'm making and with that said, Crash 1 was amazing fun. I had fun playing Native Fortress while listening to 4:44.

Tonight I head down Crash 2. Can't wait.

Basically, your jumps need to be more precise to account for a less forgiving landing system...

Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but it's hard to argue with since so many people have been able to adjust to the new physics and beat the game 100% even with the "different" landing physics. It's good they're listening though, I guess?

Looking forward to the San Diego announcement tho.

Ivan 3414

Did anyone link to Vicarious Visions' blog post Edit: beaten, lol

They handwave the collision issues of the game and file it under "Oh you just need to be more precise". They think the collision issues are a feature of the game; in fact they don't acknowledge a single issue that players have reported at all, which is immensely concerning. I can live with Crash 1 having the physics of Crash 3 but it looks like we're not getting a patch for any issue. Guess we'll have to live with the fucked up fire hitboxes, wonky shield enemies, slipping off the ropes in the road stages in Crash 1, Coco jet physics, etc...

Top Bottom