• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot: N.Sane Trilogy |OT| N.Teresting and N.Tertaining N.Fographics With-N

I don't remember anyone complaining about this yet, so here I go.

What the fuck happened to the Cortex monitors in Generator Room?

x4czdgy.gif

From dark and creepy sleuthing Cortex to choppy nonsense.

Thank you. I actually had this exact same thought too. Generator Room in the original is one of my favorite levels, due to its atmosphere. The thick black smoke, with the eerie music, and the creepy Cortex monitors added a lot the level.

This change in the remake was definitely a downgrade. While I think VV did a pretty great, faithful recreation of these games, I think they did tonally miss the first Crash in particular. Although I can understand why they would opt to go for a cleaner, brighter, more stylish cartoon style, I definitely prefer the grittier/grimy look of the original.

PaulloDEC

x4czdgy.gif

The choppiness I can't explain, but the change of tone is true of Cortex right across the board. Lex Lang does fine work, but his Cortex is pretty different to Clancy's (and VV reinforced those differences by styling the character after post-Naughty Dog Cortex).

It's one of my very few major complaints about the game, actually.

PaulloDEC

Yeah Lex Lang never really nails it for me.

Also the unskippable intro, though no fault of his, has worn out the voice for me.

I think Lex does a great job with the goofier take on Cortex he originated, but Clancy's Cortex was always more to my tastes. It had a little of the goofiness of Lex's take, but the performance overall was a lot more straight.

Lex often seems like he's trying to get a laugh on every line.

cordy

Banned
So I got the Platinum trophy for Crash 1 and now I turn it back on a week later and my shit didn't save...yeah I don't think I'm playing this one again for a great while, that's fucking ridiculous man. Thank God I got that Platinum so I have proof of what I did. Without that I'd be furious.

Neith

Banned
This game is so lovely and amazing. They really did a fine job and deserve all the success they get from it. Way better than the originals as they should be after all this time. Mission accomplished.

Bug Lite has a lot of wumpa and it isn't that hard a level.

Eggipus Rex also has a ton of fruit to collect, and its a really short level to boot. Only issue is you have to play through half of Dino Mite to reach it, which is less than opportune.

One of the early tomb levels (I think its the second one? Sorry I forgot the name) has a branching path right at the beginning of the level - if you can double jump over the giant pit (slide, jump, spin, jump again at the peak of the jump, spin continuously to slow your descent) and you'll reach the other side of a short cut, and four extra lives. The lives take a while to respawn though so you can't hammer this level continuously to get the lives over and over.

theaface

One of the early tomb levels (I think its the second one? Sorry I forgot the name) has a branching path right at the beginning of the level - if you can double jump over the giant pit (slide, jump, spin, jump again at the peak of the jump, spin continuously to slow your descent) and you'll reach the other side of a short cut, and four extra lives. The lives take a while to respawn though so you can't hammer this level continuously to get the lives over and over.

There's another life towards the screen at the start as well, so 5 can be collected each run in under a minute. Then you just quit the level, reload your auto save to get them to respawn and repeat.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yesterday was a pretty good day. Not only did I get all the gems in C1, but I also managed to gold (some even plat) half of the time trials. Of course I have all the longer and tougher levels left, but it still feels good to have half of them done. The toxic waste level was surprisingly easy when you can use your masks and don't have to care about the bouncing barrels.

I've been looking at times and apparently the longer levels also have a less strict gold minimum. All things considered, it gave me hope for the platinum trophy.

Yesterday was a pretty good day. Not only did I get all the gems in C1, but I also managed to gold (some even plat) half of the time trials. Of course I have all the longer and tougher levels left, but it still feels good to have half of them done. The toxic waste level was surprisingly easy when you can use your masks and don't have to care about the bouncing barrels.

I've been looking at times and apparently the longer levels also have a less strict gold minimum. All things considered, it gave me hope for the platinum trophy.

High Road will take that hope and crush it into smithereeens.

I loved Toxic Waste - both just running the level normally then doing a speed run on it. Its a very simple level but really fun as well. Cortex Power was another one that was really fun to speed run, which was surprisingly as I expected it to be somewhat annoying with all the different paths in the level.

And yeah, the longer levels definitely have kinder relic times. Sunset Vista is the best example I can think of. Its a long level, and a fairly annoying one to speed run at that but its time limit is super lenient. When I did manage to clear it I got a platinum relic on my first successful try.

I beat Stormy Ascent!!!! Didn't even attempt to get all of the boxes, though.

I didn't get a trophy for being it, I thought there'd be one ><

Just did every level on Crash 1 with all gold relics and some platinum relics except for one level... Native Fortress. I don't know why but that level just irritates me even in the original Crash 1. After that then I will have all 3 games platinumed.

Sullichin

The gold time for High Road is fucking stupid

Yeah it was the hardest one definitely. Until Stormy Ascent came out.

Fuck. I was feeling really good about Crash 1 platinum and stormy ascent and its time trial deleted all confidence and I think I'm terrible at the game now

Words cannot describe how I felt when I was ONE SINGLE MILLISECOND SHORT of the gold relic after previously only getting sapphire.
This wouldn't put me off too much to be honest. If I had gotten THAT close, I would just take a day off, come back, and history tells me I'd get it easy. Knowing you're that close is a blessing when you've gone hours without finishing.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

x4czdgy.gif

Interesting comparison.

Also this is the level I am currently stuck getting a gold relic on. :(. Can't shave 2 sec...

psp12345

I must have failed more than a hundred times on The High Road.
I finsihed Crash 2 and 3 but this level in the first game is insane.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
This wouldn't put me off too much to be honest. If I had gotten THAT close, I would just take a day off, come back, and history tells me I'd get it easy. Knowing you're that close is a blessing when you've gone hours without finishing.
Considering that was my 2nd registered time, I was both pleased that I was able to get so close to the time, but infuriated that after SO MANY DAMN ATTEMPTS that I could've been done & moved on.

What bums me out so much is I somehow lost the footage because I accidentally took a screenshot instead of holding the share button to go & get the footage. Ah well, at least I was able to salvage my Stormy Ascent run for the most part.

cordy

Banned
It's confirmed. The remasters are harder than the originals. If you wanna read the whole thing from the Activision blog, it's below.

Now, we can all agree that some of the Crash levels were, and still are, not easy. The challenge of the games is one of the things we all love, and that's why it feels so, so good when you beat them. Our goal for the Trilogy was to reduce any points of frustration while preserving the challenge of the originals, and we feel we've done that.

Crash's Handling

Many fans have picked up on the fact that Crash's jump isn't quite the same as it was, particularly in the first game, Crash Bandicoot&#8482;. We carefully considered the choice to unify the design of these games, for example, how save and bonus rounds work, so that players could have a cohesive experience across all three games in the Crash Bandicoot&#8482; N. Sane Trilogy.

The reason for that is because we want the best experience for all players, and Crash's handling falls into this category. We spent a lot of time studying the three titles and chose the handling from Crash Bandicoot&#8482; 3: Warped as our Trilogy's starting point; it represented the most improved and modern approach as it gives players the most control.

We went through rounds of internal testing, user testing, and iterations to get each game's handling to just the right place. In the end, we ended up tuning jump differently for each game, so that the jump metrics are the same as the originals. However, there are a few subtle differences in Crash Bandicoot, chief among these being the fact that you fall more quickly upon release of the X button than you did in the original first game.

Collision and Physics

We've heard some questions about how Crash's model interacts with platforms and enemies. Our game engine features a different collision system than the original game, and combined with the addition of physics, certain jumps require more precision than the originals. Much like the handling, we iterated on collision and physics throughout development to make it fair to all players and as faithful to the original games as possible.

Difficulty in Crash Bandicoot

The modernization of the save and checkpoint systems make the first game a heck of a lot more forgiving than the original. On top of that, we added DDA (the dynamic difficulty adjustment that was originally only present in the second and third games) to our Crash Bandicoot, which gives Crash Aku Aku masks and checkpoints after a certain number of failures in a level. This certainly helps when players need it the most!

An increased precision is now required in the first game, which makes the gameplay experience different. Particularly if you are a new player, you may want to start with the second and third games first, and then come back to try Crash Bandicoot after you've had more practice. For those of you who played the originals and acquired a fair amount of muscle memory, re-learning the handling in our game may present an additional challenge you weren't expecting. But we're sure you up to the task.

We've heard from many, many fans who are getting through Crash Bandicoot and having a great time with it, and killing those top scores in the process. We've been very impressed with how skilled people have become so quickly! We've been following along with you every step of the way, and we've seen some seriously awesome runs online.

The team at Vicarious Visions is especially happy to see the Crash Bandicoot community coming together once again to share their own tips on some of the trickier levels with each other, and are excited to welcome a whole new generation of players into the Crash community. We can't wait to share more with you, and make sure you check out our panel at San Diego Comic-Con next Thursday! There will be some news that you won't want to miss!

https://blog.activision.com/t5/More-Games/Go-Ahead-and-Jump/ba-p/10319197

I think Lex does a great job with the goofier take on Cortex he originated, but Clancy's Cortex was always more to my tastes. It had a little of the goofiness of Lex's take, but the performance overall was a lot more straight.

Lex often seems like he's trying to get a laugh on every line.

I will always prefer Clancy's Cortex BUT Lex's Cortex does hit the serious notes every now and then.

Playing through the first title, the amount of precision necessary in some levels definitely makes it tough. I can't even tell you how many times I died trying to get through The High Road.

Drencrom

Girlfriend had a shot and this gem happened

https://youtu.be/34z_WcDpajs

That also happened another member's gf lol

We were playing Crash 1 with my girlfriend and she managed to finish Hog Wild in a really weird way:

Crash 1 Hog Wild finish (YouTube, 0:46)

I'm not sure if the developers intended it to work like this, but basically she ran into the last obstacle and Crash's death animation flew him through the gem into to finish. :D

TheOGB

Banned
I may have missed something, but why are Cortex and N.Brio beefin in Crash 2?
IIRC Brio invented the Evolvo-Ray, which mutates the animals into the characters we know, while the Cortex Vortex (Cortex's invention) was created for mind control. Cortex took credit for Brio's invention seeing him as a lackey instead of a partner, and double-crossed him. Brio was understandably pissed, and sent the first 3 bosses of Crash 2 (Ripper Roo, Komodo Bros., Tiny) to foil Cortex's plan.

That's instruction manual lore, if anything, because none of that background is in the games themselves lol

edit: Lmao yep, consulted my old Crash 1 and 2 manuals. Brio made the Evolvo-Ray, but had self-esteem issues that Cortex took advantage of.

Ultimadrago

IIRC Brio invented the Evolvo-Ray, which mutates the animals into the characters we know, while the Cortex Vortex (Cortex's invention) was created for mind control. Cortex took credit for Brio's invention seeing him as a lackey instead of a partner, and double-crossed him. Brio was understandably pissed, and sent the first 3 bosses of Crash 2 (Ripper Roo, Komodo Bros., Tiny) to foil Cortex's plan.

That's instruction manual lore, if anything, because none of that background is in the games themselves lol

Wow, thanks! I was missing a bunch. lol

Kaswa101

edit: Lmao yep, consulted my old Crash 1 and 2 manuals. Brio made the Evolvo-Ray, but had self-esteem issues that Cortex took advantage of.

Crash has the deepest lore. &#128514;

LAM09

Happy to have finally completed the trilogy with only a few relics left to get. Main disappointment was playing it in chronological order, as it went from a challenge to a cakewalk.

Onto Stormy Ascent

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finished Crash 3, just need to get all the gems again. Then what's left is a whole lot of time trialing in all 3 games. May take a break before I get back to that. Could be something I do between other games.

I thought that Crash 3 was by far the weakest of the trilogy. It's the barrage of gimmick levels combined with some weaker regular levels as well. There are no levels here that match the quality of 1 and 2 and this gets further eroded by the powerups which don't add a thing imo. I guess the double jump/spin will be useful for the time trials, but it kinda feels like ND was running low on fumes at this point. They all feel like pointless additions. I don't know who thought the bazooka was a good idea as well, feels like it doesn't belong in this series. Crash 3 just feels like a mishmash of ideas. I prefer 1 and 2 a great deal more and the first may actually be my favorite now. Now that was a 100% focused platformer.

The last three birds in Stormy Ascent got me so many times during the time trial.

Keep holding left the entire time when bouncing on them, no matter whether it looks like you'll land on them. I ended up looking away from the screen during that part because I knew I'd try to correct in midair otherwise.

So was stormy ascent only left off the original because it was too hard, or was there some other reason? It was pretty tough, but I dont see it to a point where it is hard enough to leave off of the game.

So was stormy ascent only left off the original because it was too hard, or was there some other reason? It was pretty tough, but I dont see it to a point where it is hard enough to leave off of the game.
It probably wasn't going to be the penultimate level and it wouldn't comfortably fit between Slippery Climb and Cortex. It's way harder than any other level in the original version, and stuff like Road to Nowhere and High Road are only so hard in this remake because of the hitboxes and time trials.

Just my guess.

ghibli99

2 plats down, 1 to go. Time trials were surprisingly easy after I got past Cold Hard Crash. Piston It Away had some super-annoying parts for sure, though.

Need to take a break from this... 2 in a row was probably a bit too much at once.

bombshell

So in Crash 3 after you get the tornado spin upgrade, am I missing something or is it no longer possible to spin a single crate in a stack of crates?

So in Crash 3 after you get the tornado spin upgrade, am I missing something or is it no longer possible to spin a single crate in a stack of crates?
It's no longer possible without moving by away from the stack right after spinning.

Someone linked to a wiki page earlier that had all the little changes present in the remakes and that was one of them.

Top Bottom