• TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Theonik
(Yesterday, 12:28 PM)
I will say this again. lol rtings.
DOT DASH DOT
(Yesterday, 12:38 PM)
The other thing is that Panasonic are known for their pro monitor division, so it's no surprise that they managed over 98% DCI, almost matching QLED for colour.

This TV is a year old now, and it was on The Gadget Show last night playing 4K Blu's, think that says a lot.
Last edited by DOT DASH DOT; Yesterday at 12:40 PM.
KevinG
(Yesterday, 03:19 PM)
I'm gonna give in and grab a Minecraft Xbox One S bundle from Target today. For roughly $200, and selling my OG Xbox One with Kinect to even it out.

I'll end up selling it for there Scorpio in a few months, but that's okay, worth the trouble to have the UHD bluray for the next 6 months before Scorpio.
DOT DASH DOT
(Yesterday, 04:02 PM)
Theonik I actually want to thank you lol, after our discussion I went to test the lag with BFI (1080 motion) on, and I'm actually amazed that I can't detect any lag increase, not to say it's no there, but I must have flicked back and forth 20 times with various games at 4K, so probably around 40ms in total, couldn't see any flickering either, very impressed. I only ever tested it at 1080p and it didn't feel very good, should have tried it at 4K earlier!
Glorious Ownage
(Yesterday, 04:47 PM)
Is there any solid comparisons yet of the C7/E7 and the A1E?
Theonik
(Yesterday, 04:49 PM)

Originally Posted by DOT DASH DOT

Theonik I actually want to thank you lol, after our discussion I went to test the lag with BFI (1080 motion) on, and I'm actually amazed that I can't detect any lag increase, not to say it's no there, but I must have flicked back and forth 20 times with various games at 4K, so probably around 40ms in total, couldn't see any flickering either, very impressed. I only ever tested it at 1080p and it didn't feel very good, should have tried it at 4K earlier!

BFI shouldn't really add any real latency, it is interpolation that will do it which on both the ZD and the DX are required for 1080 motion. (combination of BFI and interpolation as hinted on the HDTV test reviews)
Kadey
Mrs. Harvey
(Yesterday, 04:52 PM)
I'm in the market for something in the 40" range. Don't really want to go higher if I can. But it has to at least have some of the latest goodies. HDR, high refresh rate, low input lag, etc. If none exists in that size higher is fine. What's the best recommendations out there?
DOT DASH DOT
(Yesterday, 04:53 PM)

Originally Posted by Theonik

BFI shouldn't really add any real latency, it is interpolation that will do it which on both the ZD and the DX are required for 1080 motion. (combination of BFI and interpolation as hinted on the HDTV test reviews)

I used clear motion which is BFI, and deblur at max, but not quite sure of the differnce with deblur? As it did help content look better but with no dimming,
But it increases the clarity of BFI also.

It's always nice to see an improvement on a TV you've had for ages, but it shows how noticeable lag can be, going from 50-60ms, 40 is the limit.
Last edited by DOT DASH DOT; Yesterday at 05:07 PM.
shockdude
(Yesterday, 05:46 PM)
BFI when done correctly should add only a few ms of input lag. The lag comes from the time that the backlight stays black in order to hide the blur from pixel transitions.
DOT DASH DOT
(Yesterday, 06:45 PM)

Originally Posted by shockdude

BFI when done correctly should add only a few ms of input lag. The lag comes from the time that the backlight stays black in order to hide the blur from pixel transitions.

Not quite sure how they've managed 1080 lines with no visible flickering though, my Sony W9 has some really noticeable flickering with BFI.
BumRush
(Yesterday, 06:46 PM)
What's BFI?
DOT DASH DOT
(Yesterday, 06:47 PM)

Originally Posted by BumRush

What's BFI?

Black Frame Insertion.
vpance
(Yesterday, 07:04 PM)

Yeah I have the 902 and it out specs the ZD in every way, bar the ZD has 130 more zones, 512 vs 640, I've said it for ages that the DX is the best LCD you can get for your money.

In Canada it's selling for around $2500 USD.

I think Panny has gone full OLED. Looks like the premium 65" FALD market is going to dry up again. Shame.
gsrjedi
(Yesterday, 07:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Kadey

I'm in the market for something in the 40" range. Don't really want to go higher if I can. But it has to at least have some of the latest goodies. HDR, high refresh rate, low input lag, etc. If none exists in that size higher is fine. What's the best recommendations out there?

At that size, you're only option is really the Sony X800D (last years model) or the X800E (this year). HDR (though doesn't get too bright), WCG, but 60 hz IPS panels. You'd have to go up to a 50" to get everything and there are still only a couple models at that size. Samsung KS8000 (last years model), Sony X900E, the 2017 Vizio M Series fits but I don't think it has a 120hz panel, the 2017 TCL P series is $500 for 50" but 60hz & no idea about input lag. The final 2 also have Dolby Vision
watership
(Yesterday, 07:29 PM)

Originally Posted by coiler

Can anyone help me by uploading the SW File(Version 04.31.10) update for LG 55B6?
The one on Lg page keeps giving an error while unzipping all the time :/

Holy shit, someone else with the same problem. I wish I had working file. I have it on usb from a friend but if it touches my PC, the file corrupts. I have no fucking idea anyone else had this problem.

What site are you going to US or Canada?
Last edited by watership; Yesterday at 07:32 PM.
nillapuddin
(Yesterday, 07:30 PM)

Originally Posted by nillapuddin

Current

TV: Vizio e601i-a3
AV: Denon AVR-1713

*My Denon fits in the box by literally 2 cm (I built the entertainment center myself)

So I will monitor OLED like Redline suggested, as for receiver Im not really sure what I am supposed to be looking for to purchase

BOOM

obviously cellphone pics dont do it justice, but damn.

BLACK IS BLACK
Jigolo
(Yesterday, 07:55 PM)

Originally Posted by nillapuddin

BOOM

obviously cellphone pics dont do it justice, but damn.

BLACK IS BLACK

Congrats that's a nice upgrade from a Vizio E
BumRush
(Yesterday, 08:33 PM)

Black Frame Insertion.

Thank you!
KevinG
(Yesterday, 09:35 PM)
It's true what they say.

Once you go OLED, you don't go back.
Paragon
(Yesterday, 10:50 PM)

Originally Posted by shockdude

If you're strobing the entire screen at once, you need to wait for the entire image to be displayed - so that's 1 frame of lag.
If you are using a scanning backlight, you can strobe as the image is drawn, which can reduce latency below 1 frame.

Not quite sure how they've managed 1080 lines with no visible flickering though, my Sony W9 has some really noticeable flickering with BFI.

Probably running at a higher rate than 60Hz; i.e. useless for actual content.
That Damn Kid
(Yesterday, 11:05 PM)
My local Walmart has a LG 49UH60 4K 49" tv on clearance for $350. Good deal? I'm really tempted.

I currently have a 50" 1080p Sharp TV I bought late 2013. I wonder how much I could sell that for.
KevinG
(Yesterday, 11:28 PM)
The upscaling in the Xbox One S is impressive. Love it.

Currently watching Monsters University with my daughter and my jaw legit dropped.

Edit: Those colors though.

Last edited by KevinG; Yesterday at 11:35 PM.
J-Rzez
(Yesterday, 11:35 PM)

Originally Posted by KevinG

It's true what they say.

Once you go OLED, you don't go back.

OLED has the "it" factor if there ever was one, just like high end plasma, and the super-fine pitch tube Sony's. Looking at the Z9 and A1E, the oled just has that factor for example. I can't go back to lcd after OLED for my main TV.
Dave_6
(Yesterday, 11:43 PM)
Seeing that Monsters screenshot reminds me that I have SO many Blu-rays that I want to go back and watch on my B6.
KevinG
(Yesterday, 11:49 PM)

Originally Posted by J-Rzez

OLED has the "it" factor if there ever was one, just like high end plasma, and the super-fine pitch tube Sony's. Looking at the Z9 and A1E, the oled just has that factor for example. I can't go back to lcd after OLED for my main TV.

I was underwhelmed at the outset, as my expectations were irrationally set toward everything looking like those LG OLED demos, but with some basic calibrations I have been blown away.

Originally Posted by Dave_6

Seeing that Monsters screenshot reminds me that I have SO many Blu-rays that I want to go back and watch on my B6.

I've watched Moana hundreds of times in the past month, and keep begging my daughter to want to watch something else. Haha.

Monsters University sure is pretty, even if I don't love the movie.

La La Land will be our first UHD Bluray watch tonight. We own Arrival too, but after testing out a few scenes, I've already concluded that the dark and dreariness of the film does not lend itself well to 4K/HDR.
Dave_6
(Yesterday, 11:57 PM)

I've watched Moana hundreds of times in the past month, and keep begging my daughter to want to watch something else. Haha.

Monsters University sure is pretty, even if I don't love the movie.

La La Land will be our first UHD Bluray watch tonight. We own Arrival too, but after testing out a few scenes, I've already concluded that the dark and dreariness of the film does not lend itself well to 4K/HDR.

La La Land was a blind buy for me and I wound up loving it. Looked great too with great colors. OLED can pull off Arrival very well if you watch it in a pitch dark room like I did, but if your display has a vertical band like mine does that movie will drive you nuts. The band has gotten much better (less visible) on mine since then so I need to watch it again.
guitarguy316
(Today, 12:11 AM)

The upscaling in the Xbox One S is impressive. Love it.

Currently watching Monsters University with my daughter and my jaw legit dropped.

Edit: Those colors though.

Nice pic. What's your tv settings? Vivid or isf?
KevinG
(Today, 12:18 AM)

Originally Posted by guitarguy316

Nice pic. What's your tv settings? Vivid or isf?

I've only messed with standard.

Haven't invested the time or effort into ISF settings.
KevinG
(Today, 12:22 AM)

Originally Posted by Dave_6

La La Land was a blind buy for me and I wound up loving it. Looked great too with great colors. OLED can pull off Arrival very well if you watch it in a pitch dark room like I did, but if your display has a vertical band like mine does that movie will drive you nuts. The band has gotten much better (less visible) on mine since then so I need to watch it again.

La La Land was also a blind buy for me. I'm not into musicals, but thought my wife would enjoy it and hope the UHD transfer is done well. Gosling and Stone are good leads, so I'm sure I'll like it.

I've not noticed any banding on my set. Seems flawless, even though I know every panel has its quirks.

The scenes I checked out were very dark, but didn't look like "crushed blacks" as I've seen some people claim about the Xbox One S UHD player. Will test it out in a dark room soon hopefully.
Ocho
(Today, 12:57 AM)

I've only messed with standard.

Haven't invested the time or effort into ISF settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXx9DSuY3hs

Just follow that man. At least it'll be better than what you're using.
Theonik
(Today, 01:00 AM)

Originally Posted by vpance

In Canada it's selling for around $2500 USD.

I think Panny has gone full OLED. Looks like the premium 65" FALD market is going to dry up again. Shame.

Panasonic is abandoning FALD this year and is moving all their high-end sets to OLED. Which is kind of a shame. The DX902 is also discontinued now so they will only vanish. Sony's in a really good position this year with the only real high-end LCDs on the market and what looks to be a decent OLED. But who knows how that will work out.
Madness
(Today, 01:50 AM)

Originally Posted by Theonik

Panasonic is abandoning FALD this year and is moving all their high-end sets to OLED. Which is kind of a shame. The DX902 is also discontinued now so they will only vanish. Sony's in a really good position this year with the only real high-end LCDs on the market and what looks to be a decent OLED. But who knows how that will work out.

People just hear OLED and think it is inherently better. Don't get me wrong, the technology will ultimately prevail, but imagine an LED television with HDMI 2.1, FALD with more zones, over 2500 nits brightness and DCI 100% or more. When you see it fully calibrated, high nit brightness makes HDR look amazing. But then again, maybe no more half measures with LED and full steam ahead with OLED is the only thing that will bring rapid growth and investment. Get more panel makers, improve brightness and color accuracy etc.
Figments
(Today, 03:46 AM)
I feel this will be an impossible ask, but I will ask this anyway (and probably receive no replies).

Are there any good 4K UHD TVs between 45 and 50 inches in the price range of $500 and below that are decent for gaming?

Don't really care about screen technology. Those are the exact specifications I'm looking for.
Metalstrike
(Today, 04:07 AM)
Just saw the Sony A1E in person and it is has the most impressive picture quality I've seen to date! The color gradients and motion are so smooth. It's sexy as hell as well and the tilt is not bothersome. There was a Z9D and an LG E7 nearby and the A1 wins. The X1 extreme chip mixed with OLED is no joke. My B6 will hold me over just fine for a while but I'm excited for the future and more companies working with LG display.
Madness
(Today, 04:14 AM)
A few months back someone mentioned it being the 'Sony' tax, but it is now evident Sony has some of the, if not best, image processing capabilities and motion technology in the market. You can still argue whether the 'extra' is worth it, but I am happy that Sony has thrown their hat in the OLED game and like someone else mentioned above, Panasonic as well. Now to get Samsung which does not want to move from LED technology to OLED as well. Get some of their screen technology improving brightness or reflections on OLED's etc.
holygeesus
(Today, 06:52 AM)
I too saw the Sony for the first time yesterday, and although it is indeed a lovely thing, the stand is a deal-breaker for me. What were they thinking? However, for me, the only difference between the new LG range and the A1 is in motion. They look very close on everything else.