• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamOS out now (beta)

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Except it did happen. See: Microsoft Surface

Only on the RT, the Pro isn't locked down. The RT was MS's solution to iPad. Why pray tell should MS not be allowed to have a product in that market? They'd be stupid NOT to at least attempt to enter it as there is serious movement from Desktop to Tablet as home PC solution in a lot of homes... but sure.. they shouldn't even put up a fight?

They're a monopoly in the PC gaming market. The entire market is underpinned by their OS. If they deliberately start ripping the foundations out of that market they're just setting things up for chaos.

Or you can look at Win8 as an attempt to unify a tablet OS with Desktop... in some ways it fails, in a lot of ways it succeeds. A lot of people looked at it from the perspective that MS wants to wall of windows... and others (like me) see it just as that unification in look.

Or just because he/we don't want to have to fight every stupid, petty fight with Microsoft because some Marketdroid thinks stupid feature X is the wave of the future. See: Xbox One shitfight.

One time we'll lose a critical shitfight instead of winning it. Then what? Unless we have a backup plan to where we can shift en masse you'd see PC gaming ripped in a thousand different directions.

I was one of the few who liked the OG Xbox One direction.. I was curious to see how a forced online Xbox would develop over time. I know people think it was anti-consumer.. but honestly I think it could have become what Gabe wants SteamBox to be (in a sense, not PC games, but yeah).

Of course, people disagree with me why PC games have so many sales, most think it's the competition.. but I believe it's PRICE being used as Advertising.. lower price, increase exposure, increase sells.. do this a few times a year and all under the publishers/developers controls. You could eliminate all the problems of retail.

Alas, wrong thread for this.. but I had grand visions of a Steam-like Xbone experience...

Maybe. But he worked at Microsoft. He might know how it works on the inside. All it would take for Seam to be done for is if Microsoft decided in their next Windows iteration that their store is the only way you can install apps. Because it'll be curated and "safe". That means any other store like Steam or GOG are done. It's a smart to make the preemptive move to multiple OS's just in case. And now Steam IS safe because it's already on Mac, Linux and Windows.

He left MS in the mid-90's... so much has changed.

Also, Steam doesn't live in a vacuum. MS doing that would fuck EVERY developer/publisher... and MS still makes massive profits from selling what they do.. sure they look at that iTunes money and drool.. who doesn't? Doesn't mean they are going to wall of windows though on a desktop/laptop environment... it goes against what there biggest customers want.

Do you even stop to think of the business world? My company is updating software suites constantly that we use.. 1 company, multiple updates to stuff per week with 1,000's of users updating... that's 1 out of how many US companies? What do we send all those updates THROUGH MS to get out? They have to cert them all?

Come on, no way that happens any time soon. They'd DESTROY their business division.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I'm not seeing a menu when booting from my thumb drive. I can input some commands, but I don't think this is what I'm supposed to be seeing...

Pain

Banned
Won't happen. Too many businesses and industries rely on custom software supplied directly by the vendor to the customer.
I can see even mobile moving away from apps on the future. There's to many platforms to support. A well designed mobile site can work even better than a dedicated app.

Random question but is it technically illegal to use Wine (or otherwise) to emulate Windows games on Linux?

Wine Is Not an Emulator, it's a compatability layer.

And no, it's not illigal as it does not infringe on any Microsoft pattents.

I am still waiting for XCOM: EU and EW to show up. Apparently beta binaries were uploaded to the Steam Repositories a couple weeks ago.

Massa

Only on the RT, the Pro isn't locked down. The RT was MS's solution to iPad. Why pray tell should MS not be allowed to have a product in that market? They'd be stupid NOT to at least attempt to enter it as there is serious movement from Desktop to Tablet as home PC solution in a lot of homes... but sure.. they shouldn't even put up a fight?

They're not required to have it locked down to enter that market, see Google.

Doesn't matter though, Microsoft has no chance in that market.

They could, but they won't. They want to encourage developers to develop for Linux.

As far as I know, there are a few games that are already bundled with independant wine executables on Steam. But I doubt Valve will be including WINE compatability directly into Steam.

This OS is proving to be a challenge to get up and running on my hardware. Anyone had the install go perfectly? I'm using the installer method, not the SYSRESTORE method as I only have a 500GB drive.

sekrit

Banned
I'm a big fan of linux and hope it really gets popular as a gaming platform. I have been using it for years now in server and desktop use. My main desktop is still windows though and I like it very much. I think that it really does not deserve all the flak that it have gotten in the last years. Currently windows 8.1 and windows 7 are the best gaming os's around and it's not going to change very soon. I hope they keep delivering quality os's in the future too and learn from the recent developments in the field.

Nzyme32

I hope this takes off I want windows to die.

I wouldn't go that far. For me its more that I do not agree with their philosophies, and on many occasions I've felt their actions have not been in consumers best interests. I'd hope if SteamOS was actually successful, it would simply drive windows and MS's other platforms to change and compete

GeoGonzo

Shame, I think my old PC is just barely too old to install this. Or I'm doing something wrong, which is just as likely. I'll give it another try with their next release, I think.

Last Hope

Lots of unsubstantiated speculation going on.

Not sure why anyone is expecting this to perform better than Windows.

Windows may have a lot of background services running all the time but On idle, CPU time is maybe 2%. I think a lot of people are doing a lot of wishful thinking. Window delays most background processes when the CPU is being used.

jsip

Banned
Not going to happen,windows is more than gaming. Plus there is no desktop version for steam os.

If Windows does go the "walled garden" route for the entire OS - then, yes, it will be easy to kill off. Everyone will shift MacOS/Linux. Apple would be poised to strike so damn fast it would make everyone's heads spin.

QaaQer

Or you can look at Win8 as an attempt to unify a tablet OS with Desktop... in some ways it fails, in a lot of ways it succeeds. A lot of people looked at it from the perspective that MS wants to wall of windows... and others (like me) see it just as that unification in look.

I was one of the few who liked the OG Xbox One direction.. I was curious to see how a forced online Xbox would develop over time. I know people think it was anti-consumer.. but honestly I think it could have become what Gabe wants SteamBox to be (in a sense, not PC games, but yeah).

Of course, people disagree with me why PC games have so many sales, most think it's the competition.. but I believe it's PRICE being used as Advertising.. lower price, increase exposure, increase sells.. do this a few times a year and all under the publishers/developers controls. You could eliminate all the problems of retail.

Alas, wrong thread for this.. but I had grand visions of a Steam-like Xbone experience...

He left MS in the mid-90's... so much has changed.

Also, Steam doesn't live in a vacuum. MS doing that would fuck EVERY developer/publisher... and MS still makes massive profits from selling what they do.. sure they look at that iTunes money and drool.. who doesn't? Doesn't mean they are going to wall of windows though on a desktop/laptop environment... it goes against what there biggest customers want.

Do you even stop to think of the business world? My company is updating software suites constantly that we use.. 1 company, multiple updates to stuff per week with 1,000's of users updating... that's 1 out of how many US companies? What do we send all those updates THROUGH MS to get out? They have to cert them all?

Come on, no way that happens any time soon. They'd DESTROY their business division.

winRT =/= win RT

sekrit

Banned
If Windows does go the "walled garden" route for the entire OS - then, yes, it will be easy to kill off. Everyone will shift MacOS/Linux. Apple would be poised to strike so damn fast it would make everyone's heads spin.

Mac OSX and apple is pretty much definition of walled garden so people who are against that should look other way.

Honestly, this replacing Windows isn't going to happen for 99% of the population out there for _at least_ the next 5-6 years, if at all. Valve would have to do an insanely good job (which is something I wouldn't put past them) on developing this OS and getting other software devs to support it.

For a 'PC-Console' that boots into BigPicture Mode, where the customer will never have to deal with drivers or the OS side of things, SteamOS might quickly become good enough, but this thing REPLACING Windows? Yeah, that would take a looooooong time.

Seeing it in the state that it is right now, it'd take years of development time for this to truly even become 'consumer-ready'.

Nzyme32

Lots of unsubstantiated speculation going on.

Not sure why anyone is expecting this to perform better than Windows.

Windows may have a lot of background services running all the time but On idle, CPU time is maybe 2%. I think a lot of people are doing a lot of wishful thinking. Window delays most background processes when the CPU is being used.

The only reason I expect it to perform better than window when it officially releases is because Valve have said that it offers "significant performance gains" compared to windows. In its current state, that would seem doubtful as some of the driver packages that give high performance on other linux distros are disabled due to compatibility issues. We'll have to wait and see when the OS has its official release to test if Valve's statements are true.

sekrit

Banned
Honestly, this replacing Windows isn't going to happen for 99% of the population out there for _at least_ the next 5-6 years, if at all. Valve would have to do an insanely good job (which is something I wouldn't put past them) on developing this OS and getting other software devs to support it.

For a 'PC-Console' that boots into BigPicture Mode, where the customer will never have to deal with drivers or the OS side of things, SteamOS might quickly become good enough, but this thing REPLACING Windows? Yeah, that would take a looooooong time.

Seeing it in the state that it is right now, it'd take years of development time for this to truly even become 'consumer-ready'.

SteamOS and steam machines aren't really meant to replace windows, other os's or desktops in any way.

iceatcs

SteamOS and steam machines aren't really meant to replace windows, other os's or desktops in any way.

Aye, Valve want take over the living room, not computer OS.

They chose Linux because it is open source and able to create own way.

Nzyme32

I agree. This will be very drawn out, but I'd say for the next decade SteamOS would be a good companion for windows or better still, a companion to a separate windows machine. I think a big part of what will make steamOS good will actually be streaming machines (that are relatively cheap initially but I'd guess in the future, exponentially cheaper) and simply extending the functionality of an in home server machine to all other rooms

sekrit

Banned
OSX is a walled garden? No, it's not.

The entire ecosystem is tightly watched over by apple and is very closed, heavy use of appstore and control over content, limited customization options and restricted use of sofware. That sounds walled garden to me. Ms is taking lessons from them and valve used them as a example.

railGUN

Banned
The entire ecosystem is tightly watched over by apple and is very closed, heavy use of appstore and control over content, limited customization options and restricted use of sofware. That sounds walled garden to me. Ms is taking lessons from them and valve used them as a example.

I can install any software I want on my Mac, regardless of its source. The newest versions have, at best, a picket fence, which can be easily disabled. Quit spreading this bullshit.

sekrit

Banned
I can install any software I want on my Mac, regardless of its source. The newest versions have, at best, a picket fence, which can be easily disabled. Quit spreading this bullshit.

That does not make it any less walled gardern. It's the whole ecosystem and how they control it and do things overall. They definitely arent "open".

railGUN

Banned
That does not make it any less walled gardern. It's the whole ecosystem and how they control it and do things overall. They definitely arent "open".

That fact alone makes it not a walled garden.

And Steam on my PC is absolutely the definition of a walled garden.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

I've got a mac. And to be fair. If you just use it the way Apple would want you to use it, it's very walled. Which I think is a good thing.

I wonder how many new mac owners even know how to go into the security and privacy section of the systems preferences to enable them to download and install any mac app.

sekrit

Banned
I've got a mac. And to be fair. If you just use it the way Apple would want you to use it, it's very walled. Which I think is a good thing.

I wonder how many new mac owners even know how to go into the security and privacy section of the systems preferences to enable them to download and install any mac app.

I agree. Here it actually works very well and benefits the user and their target group. It's just not for everybody.

If you right click on the executable and open it gatekeeper will bring up the ask prompt. No need to disable it.

railGUN

Banned

iOS is a walled garden.

OSX is not.

How this can be argued is beyond me, so I digress.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I agree. Here it actually works very well and benefits the user and their target group. It's just not for everybody.

Yes. It's very stable and 'just works'. I've had macs since the PPC CPU days and they always impress.

On the other hand. I've never had a crash with windows 8.1 either. Although I only have Chrome, Steam and XBMC on it. Not too much for it to think about.

JLS213

Banned
It's ok. People keep spreading bs about windows 8 as well. I didn't know the desktop was disabled and you couldn't install regular ol' software not from the windows store.

cyberheater

If you right click on the executable and open it gatekeeper will bring up the ask prompt. No need to disable it.

And you learn a new thing everyday.

iOS is a walled garden.

OSX is not.

How this can be argued is beyond me, so I digress.

It's clear that Apple are heading further into a walled garden territory. I know a lot of apple devs are really worried about it.
And at some point IOS and OSX is going to merge. They are getting closer at each iteration. As I've said before. I think it's a good idea. It makes for a super stable system.

Top Bottom