• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's pour one out for characters that a tv show completely forgot about

Status
Not open for further replies.

border

He had a whole episode about him leaving. He wanted nothing to do with the show, that's why he's never came back.

Is there any reliable info about why he left Parks & Recreation? Or is it more likely that he was fired just do to his character not really working out?

RE lover

Violet, Shermy and Patty.

shermypool.jpg

They were Charlie's Brown first friends, until they completely dissapeared from the strip by the late 60's. Schultz said they just didn't have interesting personalities :(

A similar thing happened to Lyman, Odies' original owner in the Garfield strip

garfieldova_parta-lyman.gif

DuffDry

Leander Sydnor

250px-The_Wire_Sydnor.jpg

Was introduced in Season 1 as the best young detective in the force. Was pretty much an afterthought until the end of season 5, where they try to shoehorn him in as the next McNulty.

I always thought this was completely intentional. Every season while characters are getting wrapped up in one thing or another, Sydnor was a constant, reliable workhorse.

How about Luke, from Married with Children?

101-i5b.jpg

Not even this thread remembers him. Al also had another co-worker before Griff, too. I don't remember his name, though, but he was a young, black football star who ruins his life by getting together with Meg, a Peggy analogue.

If we're talking Boy Meets World what about Corey's little sister. Completely vanished for several seasons only to reappear as a completely different type of character (more annoying)
Even Girl Meets World forgot about her. And yet they remember Cory's baby brother from the end of Boy Meets World.

Violet, Shermy and Patty.

shermypool.jpg

They were Charlie's Brown first friends, until they completely dissapeared from the strip by the late 60's. Schultz said they just didn't have interesting personalities :(

A similar thing happened to Lyman, Odies' original owner in the Garfield strip

garfieldova_parta-lyman.gif

You just reminded me of Uncle Max from Calvin & Hobbes
10ysQjv.gif

Watterson said he wanted another adult character for the mom and dad to talk to but found it difficult to write dialogue because he wanted to keep Mom and Dad nameless and Max simply didn't add enough to the strip to keep him around besides.

spookyfish

Actually, another kid from another TV show disappeared altogether: Henry from Grounded For Life

grounded_for_life.henry_finnerty.jpg

According to wikipedia, that's because he and his parents moved out between the fourth and fifth season. He left the show and never came back.

They would still talk about him on the show, though, which I thought was funny. I think it was the sister's graduation, and at the end, they make a comment "Have you seen Henry?" "I thought he was with you!" or something like that.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
From Saved By The Bell's IMDb page:

"The segments in which Zach remembered his junior high school years were added to the beginning of Good Morning, Miss Bliss (1987) episodes that were re-edited from the Disney Channel as "Saved by the Bell" episodes for syndication."

Damn. That's bizarre.

Kyne

latest

TCW.

Her and JD hit a bump with the drama queen act, but eventually make up. She's never heard from again.

border

Wikipedia:
"The series was integrated into the Saved by the Bell syndicated rerun package; episodes from this series were later introduced with a cold open by Mark-Paul Gosselaar explaining that these were from an earlier time frame than the rest of the series (despite the fact that the previous series was, for all intents and purposes, a different continuity), along with a retrofitted version of the regular Saved by the Bell opening theme."

That's weird. I definitely remember seeing Good Morning Miss Bliss episodes in Saved By the Bell timeslots, but I sure as hell don't remember this cold opening where they have Zach explain that this was his time in junior high school. I'm not even sure why they would think it's necessary since all the kids are noticeably younger -- nobody viewing the old episodes would have gotten the two time periods mixed up or anything.

Chojin

Pete on Smallville. As soon as he left it was ad if never existed. Until he came back years later for an episode to pimp out Stride chewing gum.

Ted's Sister from How I Met Your Mother was always an odd disappearance to me. In 9 seasons, she was only in 1 episode and mentioned slightly in others. The fact that she ended up moving to New York just made it all the more weird that she never came back.

Fun fact: That actress was Erin Cahill. She was in my 11th Grade English class. She was also the pink power ranger on Time Force.

Razmos

The forgotten Winchester

Adamnewcap.jpg

poor bastard
Ahahaha, well played. Completely forgot about this one.

Him being introduced anyway was pretty much a joke, hell the episode was called "Jumped the Shark" or something like that. I was surprised when he actually got involved in the plot, only to be completely forgotten about haha.

I think he was actually mentioned in Season 9 or 10 though.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Pete on Smallville. As soon as he left it was ad if never existed. Until he came back years later for an episode to pimp out Stride chewing gum.

Same thing with Martha Kent, she had a whole like 2 seasons dealing with her as the senator and then she just says "yo im going to washington that cool clark?" and then we never hear from her again, which is hilarious considering that clark even goes to washington a few times during the next season to deal with some government stuff.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
My contribution is Enzo from the Vampire Diaries. Dude went from being an awesome introduced character & plot to being completely useless. Not to mention the more the show goes on the more he fights with his hair dryer and looks like a fucking mess. He had so much potential and now his side arc crap is essentially pointless. He has no reason to be there at all. No one from the main cast really interacts with him much either :(

enzo-episode-5x12.jpg

He's still on the show though. Though I agree his character is pointless. I always forget about him until he has a scene.

Kate Lockley from Angel

TTWo9Na.jpg

And I liked her character too. :(

How about Luke, from Married with Children?

101-i5b.jpg

Not even this thread remembers him. Al also had another co-worker before Griff, too. I don't remember his name, though, but he was a young, black football star who ruins his life by getting together with Meg, a Peggy analogue.

I saw that exact episode about 3:30 this morning while feeding my son (early morning MwC has become a father/son tradition). I had totally forgotten about that dude.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
RUYXIMS.gif

In YuYu Hakusho, Yusuke's mother was completely written out of the show for some reason...and when I say the show, I mean the show. In the manga, she actually goes with the rest of the characters to the Dark Tournament, but in the show, she's completely absent during this saga, and is never shown reacting to Yusuke being gone for so long.

This is more noticeable because in the very first anime Opening, she's shown alongside the rest of the girls in the stands of the Dark Tournament, but isn't there when the show actually reaches that part.

I'm on Episode 78 right now, and I haven't seen her appear at all or even be brought up since like Episode 20. It's really odd and I can't figure out why they wrote her out---nothing seems to have happened with her seiyuu to have caused it.

Also another anime example that still stings...

qhaC0dB.jpg

No, not the dragon---although he was a casualty of it---but the dude on the left, Misawa, was easily the coolest character in Yu-Gi-Oh GX. Till as of Season 2, they decided to purposefully write him out in a very unsubtle way, with even the characters noticing his lack of presence. In the end, he disappeared for a long time after streaking across campus (one of the reasons I love GX), pops up for a bit in Season 3, and then disappears once more for more or less good.

5D's actually one-upped this, as it literally dumped like six major characters---including the protagonists best friends who he fought to rescue in Season 1---at the beginning of Season 2, and never brought them up again. Really, the whole show had a crazy retool, and apparently it was due to one of the voice actors being involved in a real-life Japanese cult, and thus the show had to be changed and its darker elements removed...but still that doesn't explain why the good guy's friends who were regular folks were booted since they'd easily fit in the lighter retool.

Patryn

The only reason she was even in the show was because NBC gave it a surprise renewal for a final season. However, the contracts for the actors had expired, and they weren't able to get Jessie or Kelly back for the season. So they cast a new female lead and had her for that last season.

They had actually already shot the series finale, which is why Jessie and Kelly reappear for that, and the new girl disappears.

Behrooz is a big one.

Oliver in the OC. Even when reminiscing about past relationships they never bring him up.

And the pure half sister want even invited to her dad's funeral

The fans fucking HATED Oliver. In fact, it got to be a running joke where the writers kept threatening to bring him back specifically because they knew everyone hated him.

Why was the black kid walt so important on lost? Seems like they forgot that.

Was growing up way too fast for the timeline the show wanted to tell.

Kate Lockley from Angel

TTWo9Na.jpg

She got cast on Law and Order as a regular. Much better gig than a recurring player.

I don't think he was really forgotten, he was just meant to be the grounded character on the show. He's also pretty awesome for what he is, so yeah.

I recall reading a story where Joss told the actor that Xander's story was pretty much over, but he was keeping him on the show as long as he kept his alcoholism under control.

jmood88

There were a bunch of characters in Entourage who would show up, then just disappear but since it has been so long since I watched, I've forgotten almost all of them. I kept thinking that I had somehow missed some episodes cause storylines and characters would just end out of nowhere or never get brought up again. I do kind of remember the guy who played Herc in The Wire was somebody's brother and had a storyline, then never appeared again with no explanation.

Jenny (Doctor Who)
Saved last min because Moffat asked her to be kept alive. Flies of into space and ... that is it..
s4_06_wal_16.jpg

Captain John Hart (Torchwood)
Mysterious lover/figure from Jack's past knows tonnes of his dirty secrets, good character. Gets 2 episodes and then nothing
Captain-John-Hart-torchwood-18154934-1024-768.jpg

Adam Milligan/Winchester (supernatural)

He is a legit half brother to the Winchesters who are "Family to the end" and frequently go above and beyond the realms of possibility to get each other out of hell/possession/death/limbo/everything. They just don't give a fuck about daddies side bitch and their own bro.
5x18-adam-milligan-11726815-1280-720.jpg

I just thought of one in Agents of SHIELD, but I don't remember his name. He was this doctor guy in one of the earlier episodes who created this big ball of gravity goo. At the end of the episode, he got sucked into it and presumably died. So they box up the gravity goo and shove it away in some safe place where nobody can find it. But then the stinger at the end of the episode shows it forming into a hand, implying we might be seeing Graviton at some point. But here near the end of season 2, I don't think he or his gravity goo have ever been mentioned again.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
If we're talking Boy Meets World what about Corey's little sister. Completely vanished for several seasons only to reappear as a completely different type of character (more annoying)
I'll go a bit further.

Shawn had an older sister named Stacey that he talked on the phone with one time and an older brother named Eddie that lived in the trailer park.

Topanga had an older sister named Nebula that Eric wanted to date.

Chojin

Same thing with Martha Kent, she had a whole like 2 seasons dealing with her as the senator and then she just says "yo im going to washington that cool clark?" and then we never hear from her again, which is hilarious considering that clark even goes to washington a few times during the next season to deal with some government stuff.

Hell it was pretty much anyone who left the show. Me and my friend used to joke about it when someone left and he'd be like "what happened to so and so" and I'd say "Who the fuck is Jonathan Kent?"

And then when Jimmy died... Zoe... Sigh

GulAtiCa

To be fair, Smallville had a big issue of taking whatever important happened last week and forgetting that it ever happened. :p

Fun fact: That actress was Erin Cahill. She was in my 11th Grade English class. She was also the pink power ranger on Time Force.

Oh, that is pretty funny!

EulaCapra

Half the cast of Weeds.

Fucking hell, the writers didn't even try to give an excuse between seasons where most of them went.
Ugh. This.

Celia was such an integral part of the series and they even set up her season 6 storyline in the season 5 finale but then they just scrapped the whole goddamn thing and never brought her back again.

Sober

Roy Harper - Arrow
620-338-Roy-Harper.jpg

Wouldn't be surprised if all the deleted scenes in S2/S3 box sets are almost all exclusively of Roy/Arsenal. I get the impression they have a bunch of stuff for him all written and shot but they edit it all out for broadcast. I would say, "poor Colton Haynes" but he probably taps Emily Bett Rickards on the regular, so I guess he comes out winning.

Greatjon from GOT, where is he??

also, the guy who plays Daario looks so different from the previous one I realized they were the same character just five episodes in

to be fair the Greatjon more or less disappears in the books at the same point as well.

as far as the books are concerned he's
being held captive at The Twins by the Freys.

That other little Stark boy in Game of Thrones.
same thing here, in fact Rickon departs the book narrative even earlier than he did on the TV show. as of the end of book 5
he has not made a re-appearance, but a few characters know where he is and are going after him.

Wouldn't be surprised if all the deleted scenes in S2/S3 box sets are almost all exclusively of Roy/Arsenal. I get the impression they have a bunch of stuff for him all written and shot but they edit it all out for broadcast. I would say, "poor Colton Haynes" but he probably taps Emily Bett Rickards on the regular, so I guess he comes out winning.

This is completely off topic but Haynes is on the gay side of bisexual and is merely friends with Rickards. I would be interested to see if he in fact has a lot of deleted scenes, though.

masud

Banned
One thing that always bugged me about good morning Ms Bliss/Saved by the bell is that Jesse and Zack were supposed to be childhood friends since Kindergarten but she wasn't there in jr high..

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Colonel Flagg from MASH - never even knew he existed until I watched the first five seasons on Netflix. Fucking hilarious character. My kid is sick of me doing impressions of him.

Did the show really forget about Flagg though?

The character was not stationed at the MASH unit and as far as I remember popped up in 6 or 7 episodes throughout the seasons.

The psychiatrist/psychologist character, Freedman, was similar.

If you want characters that disappeared from MASH, watching the pilot episode is the go to place. There is a black character ("Spearchucker"!) that is a roommate of Hawkeye and Trapper that only appears in the first one or two episodes.

Also from the pilot, the actor playing the priest is different and you get one of the few clear shots of the deformed hand Radar has (something I never noticed or knew about despite seeing the show right through multiple times).

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Is there any reliable info about why he left Parks & Recreation? Or is it more likely that he was fired just do to his character not really working out?
He wasn't fired, he wanted to go focus on his film career, and it also seems he just wasn't happy doing a sitcom. At the same time, the show wrote the character into a corner and realized it wasn't really working and they had little for the guy to do. All told, it seems like it was relatively mutual, even if both sides came at the decision from different angles. It was better to redo the straight man character as someone who could also be funny and in a job position that would be more integrated and flexible within the world, as they did with Adam Scott's Ben Wyatt. That seems to be the core truth if you read through the times Schneider and Mike Schur have discussed it in interviews. They give some additional diplomatic flourishes and spins, but that seems like the reality.

Both of the 3rd actors from 30 Rock, though the show does make a few meta jokes and acknowledge them a few times.
latest
I came to mention him. I've been seeing him in some commercials recently.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Hell it was pretty much anyone who left the show. Me and my friend used to joke about it when someone left and he'd be like "what happened to so and so" and I'd say "Who the fuck is Jonathan Kent?"

And then when Jimmy died... Zoe... Sigh

Jimmy dying was hilarious, for all the wrong reasons, they barely even included him the whole season and then they marry him and kill him later.

I used to joke that whenever there is a "Wedding" episode in any show some one has to die. But my god it's not even a joke it's true. Me and my friends had a running bet about when Lana would leave the show for good since she JUST KEPT COMING BACK.

When she finally left the show everyone kind of promptly forgot about her.

After season 5 me and my friend would always place bets on how Lana would ruin the episode this time.

The only reason she was even in the show was because NBC gave it a surprise renewal for a final season. However, the contracts for the actors had expired, and they weren't able to get Jessie or Kelly back for the season. So they cast a new female lead and had her for that last season.

I'll stick to believing my own fan fiction that Kelly and Jessie were impregnated by Rod Belding and sent away for a year to keep it quiet, and Zach murdered Torie and dumped the body in the pacific ocean.

LycanXIII

Ahahaha, well played. Completely forgot about this one.

Him being introduced anyway was pretty much a joke, hell the episode was called "Jumped the Shark" or something like that. I was surprised when he actually got involved in the plot, only to be completely forgotten about haha.

I think he was actually mentioned in Season 9 or 10 though.

He's mentioned in the
musical
episode. I'm pretty sure
one of them asks who he is too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom