• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Trailer (Also no paid-for DLC characters)

vg260

Unless a game called STREET FIGHTER X TEKKEN just became universally panned for its absolutely awful anti-consumer DLC practices. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Namco strutting their stuff and making it known that they support the approach of packing their games full of FREE content rather than locking it behind a disc and $50+ worth of unlock codes.

Sure, it's good PR for them, especially since this game has already existed in arcades, since it's essentially a port at its core. They have that advantage, so they can milk their "look how good we are" angle. They said that new content might have to be paid, so really their approach isn't that different in terms of specially created content for the home version.

Lothars

Unless a game called STREET FIGHTER X TEKKEN just became universally panned for its absolutely awful anti-consumer DLC practices. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Namco strutting their stuff and making it known that they support the approach of packing their games full of FREE content rather than locking it behind a disc and $50+ worth of unlock codes.
I don't think it will affect any other game and when the characters are finally released than I bet you won't hear about it again. It's good they are going this way but who knows what they will charge for.

Sure, it's good PR for them, especially since this game has already existed in arcades, since it's essentially a port at its core. They have that advantage, so they can milk their "look how good we are" angle. They said that new content might have to be paid, so really their approach isn't that different in terms of specially created content for the home version.
Exactly, I could see them charging for some DLC coming but it helps the game came out in arcade a while ago.

Degen

This is gonna blow every other 2012 fighter out of the water. We'll look back at the year and say, "rest of the genre, were you even trying?"

of course the world will have ended by then so it's kinda moot

BadWolf

This is gonna blow every other 2012 fighter out of the water. We'll look back at the year and say, "rest of the genre, were you even trying?"

of course the world will have ended by then so it's kinda moot

Doesn't VF5FS come out this summer?

AAK

I guess you can add these to the OP for the 360 boxart:

tekken-tag-2-xbox-360-cover.jpg

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Awesome DLC practice, will buy and support just because of it.

Sayah

Can't wait for this to release.
All of the content created for the console versions will be already on-disc and free, I'm sure. DLC may come later when more stuff (like customization items) is developed later in the future for the game.

I was about to say, VF5:FS would take issue with that statement.

Not really, no.

TheOGB

Banned
Buying the shit out of this

That was kind of his point, wasn't it?

SOUL5 netcode ? Ok , just try to improve a bit the random matchmaking , please.

I want my text chat and windows spectator to stay for Tekken T2

CSX

"There are some strange people on Twitter asking for really peculiar items like bikini swimsuits - and obviously we didn't have that in our original development plan! So if we were going to do that, we'd have to create that without the [original] budget, and we'd have to charge a little bit for those items," Harada said.

Bullshit. Those bikinis were at least in the planning stages. Namco holding back cuz they know at least 90% of the fans will buy that day 1.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Say what you want about Scamco but Team Tekken always puts a bunch of new content on the console versions.

Degen

SOUL5 netcode ? Ok , just try to improve a bit the random matchmaking , please.

I want my text chat and windows spectator to stay for Tekken T2

those A1-ranked players bugging you? lol

I hope Namco makes SC5's netcode the blueprint for any future 3D fighter on the PS3/360. SC5's "stream" chat was an awesome idea, too. Chatting without the headset came in handy.

DR2K

Banned

Capcom had SFIV engine, roster, arcade base, etc. . . to help shape SFxTK. Goes both ways compadre. Just stop with the cheap excuses.

A few custimaztion items being paid for =/= chunk of the roster, every costume, gems, custom combos, etc. . .

Never expected any paid dlc characters so this is fine. I hope they don't go nuts with paid dlc costume items though(Especially since the default stuff in the arcade ver seems to suck compared to 6).

Imm0rt4l

Tekken stays with the best stages and music.

Agreed, and Namco deserves more praise considering the amount of moaning we've heard about Capcom's practices.

I hope Namco recycles the TTT Staff Roll music for the credits. Love this song so much I made it my alarm ringtone - I've woken up to it every morning for a couple of years now.

yea the staff roll for Tekken Tag was gdlk. The one being used for the current TTT2 isn't nearly as good.

those A1-ranked players bugging you? lol

I hope Namco makes SC5's netcode the blueprint for any future 3D fighter on the PS3/360. SC5's "stream" chat was an awesome idea, too. Chatting without the headset came in handy.

When it feels like they are the only thing available , YES !!
Even waiting in the random global coliseum area felt like Ages ...

I'm jumping in this head first. I dig the fact that there's plenty of added content that I don't need to shell out another $20 for.

It's been a while for me (and Tekken)...

danmaku

I was about to say, VF5:FS would take issue with that statement.

In terms of sheer content, VF5FS can't compete with TTT2. But I'm totally ok with that, because FS will be a cheap downloadable game, and Sega said they are going to sell only customization items via DLC. No characters or gameplay-related content.

vg260

All of the content created for the console versions will be already on-disc and free, I'm sure. DLC may come later when more stuff (like customization items) is developed later in the future for the game.

You seem pretty sure of their inside development info. Possibly. We'll see. SCV had music tracks and some costume content DLC on-disc, so some on-disc would not be a surprise. Or, they could just be not making the mistake Capcom did, and instead keep it secret on their servers, to further this perception of doing things "right". That's what I'd do if I were them. IF there is DLC, the odds are pretty good the first wave at least will be created during development. There's really no denying they're in a pretty good spot converting an existing arcade game. They'd be pretty remiss not playing up the no-DLC character angle.

You seem pretty sure of their inside development info. Possibly. We'll see. SCV had music tracks and some costume content DLC on-disc, so some on-disc would not be a surprise. Or, they could just be not making the mistake Capcom did, and instead keep it secret on their servers, to further this perception of doing things "right". That's what I'd do if I were them. IF there is DLC, the odds are pretty good the first wave at least will be created during development. There's really no denying they're in a pretty good spot converting an existing arcade game. They'd be pretty remiss not playing up the no-DLC character angle.

Secret Namco suit here folks.

Maybe it's because Harada actually has some pull in the company and had the balls to stand up to his boss and said fuck off.

Lothars

Secret Namco suit here folks.

Maybe it's because Harada actually has some pull in the company and had the balls to stand up to his boss and said fuck off.
or it's exactly what 2&2 said, Maybe it's a combination of both but either way I bet he's correct as in some of the dlc is done during development.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Would buy if I had a PS3 or 360. Might end up getting one again for this and a few other titles (DOA5, Rising if no PC release)

2San

Goddamit Namco, I was done with fighting games. Sigh, I'll pre-order it.

edit: Btw will this have 2v2's? As in me and a friend on the same console online against others?

Neptune

This is good news, but I'm still waiting for Kunimitsu. Also, if they're going to waste slots on Violet and Combot, I want Tiger back, too.

As much as I love Lee/Violet, are they really going to give Violet his own spot on the roster? I'd think it would be easier to just make Lee's alternate persona a costume swap. (Though I won't object to him getting his own ending.)

Top Bottom