• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Obsidian countdown teaser [Update 2: Kickstarter? One more day!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SerRodrik

Your kind must learn it comes from straining against the turning of the world. It spins thus. You cannot stop it. One day, you will wake up. You will stop pulling. The pain will be gone. Until then, all your waking hours are suffering.

EA, speaking to old school gamers.

That sounds like some Robert Jordan ass dialogue. Plus the wit could take place during the time of the hundred companions and the was or shadows

Orayn

I don't know why people keep saying it's WoT when NOTHING in it has anything to do with WoT.

Couldn't it just take place in another Age and serve as a distant sequel to the continuity of the books, with a few of the same features? (Dragon, Dark One, One Power, etc.)

Emitan

Couldn't it just take place in another Age and serve as a distant sequel to the continuity of the books, with a few of the same features? (Dragon, Dark One, One Power, etc.)

It could be a WoT game where everything has an entirely different name, but I'd just consider that a (somewhat) lucky guess because nothing we've seen from the countdown has nothing to do with anything currently happening in Randland.

Sentenza

I don't know why people keep saying it's WoT when NOTHING in it has anything to do with WoT.
Well, maybe because Obsidian DID actually announce an use of the Wheel of Time license in 2010 and because the Ouroboros which is circling any number in the countdown is in fact in the Wheel of Time logo:

Snakewheel.png

That said, I never read a single page of this saga so I can't really say I care at any level.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Well, maybe because Obsidian DID actually announce an use of the Wheel of Time license in 2010 and because the Ouroboros which is circling any number in the countdown is in fact in the Wheel of Time logo:

Snakewheel.png

That said, I never read a single page of this saga so I can't really say I care at any level.

Hm. Seems pretty obvious when you put it like that...lol

Perkel

Banned
Eternity and Oroboros?

We have to go deeper.

I thought it's Dungeon Siege 4 but now i think it will be new IP and it probably will be Black Hound and it will be spiritual succesor not to BG but Torment game.

Those are my point from which i deduced that:

- From just these few lines you can learn that subject isn't treated like most of fantasy lore (meaning cheap crap) and has some quality writing in that. Also incuding snake of eternity (oroboros) in that way suggest it will be connected to story. It could mean that main hero is immortal same as The Nameless One have been. That with leaks from blackhound story about "The Black Hound was the representation of the selfish acts of the game's main antagonist and would appear to the player through circumstance and remind him of his actions throughout the game." could fit nicely together.
- JS wasn't involved on full scale in any project since release of F:NV (lead) in most cases he was weapon designer for F:NV DLC and he worked briefly on NV. So that's awful a lot of time to do some full game.
- JS as people mentioned tried to make Blackhound as mod but blog is't updated anymore. Which means a) it was shot down purportedly or JS don't have time since he is working a lot on his current project.
-

The real question now is who is paying for that. We know Obsidian isn't in good shape finantialy, got burn from Betsheda deal, EA and Activision don't care about RPGs and Sega if probably wants something it won't be RPG.

That leaves T2 which has finantial problems, 2K which is in rather good disposition, SE which spend money on their inhouse projects same as Cacpcom.

It could be kickstarter with game that is in early to mid production which was dropped by pub in production (layoffs at obsidian could be connected) amount of cash needed wouldn't be so big for full scale project meaning something like 3 to 5 mln goal.

Also for people who don't understand that succesful kickstarter needs to make a powerful drive. Making announcement of announcement in world of kickstarter is viable method of promoting game. Thanks to this it can reach more people before even kickstarter starts and when hit shit the fan it can generate more people.

It will probably PC with ports being made after production to gather as much attention from hungry PC crowd.

So in summary Black Hound on Onyx Engine with JS as Lead dir/designer with Tim Cain as lead programmer and Chris as story writter/quest designer. That trio is every RPG wet dream and they will throw money at them more than on Wasteland 2 being Kickstarter as viable method now to gather serious money.

Sorry for a long post and a lot of Engrish.

Can't wait for reveal.

Herla

Warhammer 40k RPG confirmed?

ThousandSonsBadge.jpg

Don't focus too much on the Ouroboros, it's just an extremely common and iconic image. Especially with the possible "Eternity" title.

Also Obsidian was only contracted for WoT (they weren't even supposed to do any kind of writing!), they don't own the property or anything. They wouldn't make the announcement themselves.

Durante

Current theory is X = Consonant, . = Vowel.

English words that match the pattern are acerbity, alacrity, enormity, eternity and identity. Eternity might have some connection to the oroboros.
I choose to take this as confirmation of a PST sequel.

Trigger

Maybe it's just an original fantasy IP that uses time as a focus? The quotes make me think of someone trying to defy fate.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
I choose to take this as confirmation of a PST sequel.

I recognize your pain. Your kind must learn it comes from straining against the turning of the world. It spins thus. You cannot stop it. One day, you will wake up. You will stop pulling. The pain will be gone. Until then, all your waking hours are suffering.

Pain = Torment. It all adds up!

Lancehead

Pain = Torment. It all adds up!

I think it's more to do with the "identity". Torment, MotB, KotOR II all deal with the protagonist trying to find his/her identity.

Edit: Then again Sawyer, not Avellone, who is busy with Wasteland 2, seems be in the thick of this project. So that may not hold any weight.

It could be a WoT game where everything has an entirely different name, but I'd just consider that a (somewhat) lucky guess because nothing we've seen from the countdown has nothing to do with anything currently happening in Randland.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/de/Snakewheel.png[IMG]

That said, I never read a single page of this saga so I can't really say I care at any level.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if it's possible that this project started off as a Wheel of Time tie-in but then the WoT rights-holders pulled out and Obsidian decided to salvage their work by retooling it as an original property.

Almighty

I am kind of hoping it is a Kickstarter. I would love to see what Obsidian can come up with if they are free to make the kind of game they want. No publisher telling them what to do.

I would also prove once or for all if people are right to blame the publishers for a lot of their games problems.

diamount

Banned
I am kind of hoping it is a Kickstarter. I would love to see what Obsidian can come up with if they are free to make the kind of game they want. No publisher telling them what to do.

I would also prove once or for all if people are right to blame the publishers for a lot of their games problems.

I don't see how kickstarter could support a company the size of Obsidian.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Sounds like someone who never read the Tao Te Ching trying to be Taoist.

I just hope that AA and texture settings actually do something, unlike DS3.

Almighty

I don't see how kickstarter could support a company the size of Obsidian.

Yeah I was talking about only this one project. Not implying that they are going to drop all publishers and go purely Kickstarter.

Besides the South Park game I am sure(or at least hoping) that they at least have one or two other projects in the works. Funded by traditional publishers. Last I looked they do have multiple teams and usually have a few different projects in the works.

diamount

Banned
Not all of Obsidian works on any particular project. i.e. Kickstarter couldn't support a company the size of Double Fine either.

Well, at the moment they are working on Wasteland 2 with inexile and this new title, oh and that South Park game - I do not suspect Wasteland 2 will take a lot of their manpower. Not to mention Obsidian has twice the staff as Double Fine.

diamount

Banned
Yeah I was talking about only this one project. Not implying that they are going to drop all publishers and go purely Kickstarter.

Besides the South Park game I am sure(or at least hoping) that they at least have one or two other projects in the works. Funded by traditional publishers. Last I looked they do have multiple teams and usually have a few different projects in the works.

I guess that makes sense. But this doesn't sound like a low-key 2-3millon dollar project if they are hyping it.

Almighty

Well, at the moment they are working on Wasteland 2 with inexile and this new title - I do not suspect Wasteland 2 will take a lot of their manpower. Not to mention Obsidian has twice the staff as Double Fine.

It's been my understanding at least that their help with Wasteland 2 consist solely of Chris Avellone. I am not even sure if it is a full-time project for him either.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Sounds like someone who never read the Tao Te Ching trying to be Taoist.

frankly speaking I'm not digging the build up. I tried to play Planescape Torment but lost interest pretty quick after I got out of the crypt. It's not like it was bad, it wasn't. But I got an initial impression that this game dealt with themes I had interest in a long time ago but not nowadays. But I might have had a wrong impression, I was like 2-3 hours into the game, so I can't judge it. I should try it again one day.

I played only current-gen Obsidian games (to completion) and from what I played Dead Money is my favourite piece of software developed by them. I liked everything in it.

I'd dig a game with more grounded themes.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It would be hilarious if it started going into negative numbers instead of revealing the game.

Truant

Don't know if this has been posted yet but:

http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/obsidian

Obsidian Entertainment is a game development studio located in Irvine, CA. We were founded in 2003 with many former Black Isle Studios employees dedicated to producing high-quality role-playing games. We're most known for games like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, Neverwinter Nights 2, and Fallout: New Vegas.

Prior to Obsidian, each of the owners worked for Black Isle Studios as production, design, management, and programming staff, having worked on the Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment series.

We loved working on those games, and feel there's a real nostalgia for them, and we're looking to you for help to bring them back
!

This can't be real. I must be reading this text wrong. The words are tricks played on my feeble mind, surely.

Stripes55

Neo Member
Was also hoping this might FINALLY be "Torn", an old Black Isle project cancelled back in 2001. But nothing I've seen so far leads me to believe it is (based on what I know of what "Torn" was supposed to be).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom