• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers S3 |OT| The End Is Near - Premieres Sunday 4/16, 9pm on HBO

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Killing Liv Tyler and the rest of the Guilty Remnant in Miracle with a drone strike was the best possible way to end that storyline.

Chumley

Banned
Huh, just found out Tracy Letts is married to Carrie Coon.

That dude scored completely out of his league. She's cute as hell.

PolishQ

Speaking of which, did I see that right that it said 1884? Because unless it was just bad history or an Amish village or something America really did not look anything like that in 1884. Part of the plot maybe?
I assumed this was taking place in Australia.

Daft_Cat

Been meaning to turn to this for ages now, and the season 3-hype seemed like the perfect opportunity to finally dive in. Just through season 1 now, and charging on ahead. Very good, so far! I was a big Lost fan, but I almost prefer the small-town, slow-burn mystique of The Leftovers. It feels like great care has been taken to portray what a potential cataclysm would look like on an intimate scale.

That dude scored completely out of his league.

The fuck? Tracy Letts is a Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright and a Tony Award-winning actor. Since when is anybody out of his league?

Watched it with the wife last night

Great episode.

But we can't watch this show week-to-week. For us, the Leftovers is best watched during a binge, like reading a book without stopping for a week at the end of each chapter. Will wait until all the episodes air.

Been meaning to turn to this for ages now, and the season 3-hype seemed like the perfect opportunity to finally dive in. Just through season 1 now, and charging on ahead. Very good, so far! I was a big Lost fan, but I almost prefer the small-town, slow-burn mystique of The Leftovers. It feels like great care has been taken to portray what a potential cataclysm would look like on an intimate scale.

The fuck? Tracy Letts is a Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright and a Tony Award-winning actor. Since when is anybody out of his league?

You're in for a treat with Season 2. The best is very much yet to come for you.

Killing Liv Tyler and the rest of the Guilty Remnant in Miracle with a drone strike was the best possible way to end that storyline.

God yes. So glad they are gone. I hated that part of the show so damn much, but I will miss Evie.

Good episode overall. The fuck at that scene in the bedroom though. He's still having suicidal thoughts or is he trying to get back to purgatory?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
God yes. So glad they are gone. I hated that part of the show so damn much, but I will miss Evie.

Good episode overall. The fuck at that scene in the bedroom though. He's still having suicidal thoughts or is he trying to get back to purgatory?

I think he's trying to prove to himself that he cannot die in Jarden/Miracle like everyone keeps telling him.

Ogni-XR21

Great start to the season. It's been a while since I had the "can't wait until it's monday again" feeling (that's when I can watch it on SkyGo in Germany).

I really need to buy this on bluray, but I've been holding out because I want to get a full boxset, even though with the low ratings it's probably never gonna get a box so I might just get the standalone seasons while they are still available.

I wonder if they will just have no opening titles at all or if it was just for the first episode.

mm04

No doubt. I won't miss those white clad chain smokers.

You're probably right in regards to the self-suffocation. Maybe trying to have a near death experience. Or hell, maybe he's unbreakable now hah.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
When you realize Kevin forgot to take off his crown during the party and this aired on Easter Sunday.

giphy.gif

I think he was doing that because
he knows he can't die in that town. He tries each day and he knows it won't work. That's probably why he was fearless when jumping into the spring and also why the rifle dude couldn't shoot him. He's most likely terrified because he knows his invincibility prophecy is true but he doesn't understand why.

My initial thought is that he is living a double life, half in the real world, half in the hotel

I could dig either one of these. I had the same thoughts regarding the poisoned spring.

Theorry

When you realize Kevin forgot to take off his crown during the party and this aired on Easter Sunday.

giphy.gif

Damn son haha,

---

GR getting bombed was pretty wtf tho. But GR sure has more people then the ones in the building? They were like different groups i believe all over the place?

With the focus on him clearly being a little freaked out when I went to sleep, I'm wondering if he sees dying and coming back as a method of curing whatever was going on mentally for him. So whenever he feels it creeping back, he knocks himself off and comes back?

I'm watching the season 3 trailer and I may saw evie? Was that from the beginning of the episode?

Also his armoire was a total call back to the hotel, I thought.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Also his armoire was a total call back to the hotel, I thought.

I was thinking the same thing! Another really small touch I liked is that Kevin's gun didn't go off because it got wet during his little stunt. This show doesn't waste a scene, I swear.

I was thinking the same thing! Another really small touch I liked is that Kevin's gun didn't go off because it got wet during his little stunt. This show doesn't waste a scene, I swear.

Yup same here. I really feel like we're going to find out that he's been making constant trips to the hotel in the 3 year time jump.

I thought that was so fucked up and surprised that Matt wasn't like "Um...let's postpone. No reason. Totally not because even if that spring was drenched in poison you'd still be fine."

Ah yes, but here's the thing. He wouldn't have been fine. He would have convulsed, frothed at the mouth, and actually died in front of everyone. Then came back.

oatmeal

Banned
Another great moment of dark humor...

Dean gets his head BLOWN off...and then the dog steals the sandwich and the cop just goes "it's a sandwich". Undercuts all of the tension and drama of the scene. Lindelof is so great at that shit.

I think he's trying to prove to himself that he cannot die in Jarden/Miracle like everyone keeps telling him.

With the focus on him clearly being a little freaked out when I went to sleep, I'm wondering if he sees dying and coming back as a method of curing whatever was going on mentally for him. So whenever he feels it creeping back, he knocks himself off and comes back?

Good points. It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds. I get the feeling it's going to end with someone trying to kill and him dying to the shock to everyone. Build up the messiah character and kill him on the even of the anniversary. Final scene will probably be storm clouds forming to leave the ending vague.

No doubt. I won't miss those white clad chain smokers.

You're probably right in regards to the self-suffocation. Maybe trying to have a near death experience. Or hell, maybe he's unbreakable now hah.

I really hope he's not and he's just extremely lucky/experiencing a psychotic break like his dad did before him.

kevin1025

Banned
Good points. It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds. I get the feeling it's going to end with someone trying to kill and him dying to the shock to everyone. Build up the messiah character and kill him on the even of the anniversary. Final scene will probably be storm clouds forming to leave the ending vague.

I really hope he's not and he's just extremely lucky/experiencing a psychotic break like his dad did before him.

With the way the episode ended, something happens in Australia that leads to Norah changing her name and the name Kevin to be something big there. The unkillable thing may be tested too far, like you said. And with the book being the transition to the doves, I'm wondering, does he accept his messianic ways or are they thrust on him in Australia somehow?

With the way the episode ended, something happens in Australia that leads to Norah changing her name and the name Kevin to be something big there. The unkillable thing may be tested too far, like you said. And with the book being the transition to the doves, I'm wondering, does he accept his messianic ways or are they thrust on him in Australia somehow?

Is it confirmed to be Australia and not some AUS nuns slumming it in the US?

Speaking of the ending, wasn't too pleased with the introduction of flash forwards, too many memories of Lost, but let's see where it goes.

kevin1025

Banned
Is it confirmed to be Australia and not some AUS nuns slumming it in the US?

Speaking of the ending, wasn't too pleased with the introduction of flash forwards, too many memories of Lost, but let's see where it goes.

I don't know if trailers and production stuff count as spoilers, so I'll spoiler tag it.

They filmed in Australia.

Vic_Viper

Cant believe noone has been talking about the ending! It took me awhile to figure out who that even was on the bike. I wonder if they are going to be showing parts of life after whatever happens this season in chunks at the end of each episode.

Something else interesting: That was not "paper money" the nun gave to Punished Nora at the end. Looked like something made of beads and black leather, like a belt or something.

Supports the idea that they're in some sort of drastically changed world, with different materials/types of currency.

Thanks for pulling these screengrabs! I'm not 100% on that being money. Look closely at the weird beads sticking out of the wad. It still looks like black leather of some kind.

I think that's just the nun trying to give punished Nora some hope or something along those lines.

If it's money (which I think it is), it might be the new polymer notes which some countries are starting to introduce. That tends to give notes a more glossy/shiny look. Not sure if AUS is using them though.

I think that's just the nun trying to give punished Nora some hope or something along those lines.

If it's money (which I think it is), it might be the new polymer notes which some countries are starting to introduce. That tends to give notes a more glossy/shiny look. Not sure if AUS is using them though.

Ah, I didn't know about the polymer notes. Interesting!

Something that just got brought up on the Leftovers subreddit is the idea of the Nora we're seeing here, as kind of a Judas. She's somehow sold out/betrayed Kevin (my theory is having to do with the phonecall we see her get in the trailer asking if she wants to see her kids again), and now is living alone with a kind of miserable life. Would be an interesting parallel to the redheaded woman in the intro sequence who ends up torn apart from her family because of faith in an untrue thing that she couldn't let go.

Not sure how I feel about some things in the episode. It felt like the same as last season's opener, cleaning up old storylines cos they never had any meaningful conclusion for them.

This show is just pure wonder. I am glad they got the funds to finish it, as it doesn't seem to set the world on fire, mainly because how devisive season 1 was. I have forgotten a lot of shit, or the first episode here just keeps me in the dark for a little while longer.

I am a little bummed out that there is only one episode per week, but okay. I had troubles understanding the intro, anyone care to explain it to me? Also, why the hell does he try to choke himself, pleasure?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Ah, I didn't know about the polymer notes. Interesting!

Something that just got brought up on the Leftovers subreddit is the idea of the Nora we're seeing here, as kind of a Judas. She's somehow sold out/betrayed Kevin (my theory is having to do with the phonecall we see her get in the trailer asking if she wants to see her kids again), and now is living alone with a kind of miserable life. Would be an interesting parallel to the redheaded woman in the intro sequence who ends up torn apart from her family because of faith in an untrue thing that she couldn't let go.

Noo... I really like the strained relationship Nora and Kevin have been able to form. I hope that isn't destroyed but you are probably on the right track.

This show is just pure wonder. I am glad they got the funds to finish it, as it doesn't seem to set the world on fire, mainly because how devisive season 1 was. I have forgotten a lot of shit, or the first episode here just keeps me in the dark for a little while longer.
Season 1 was a difficult watch but I think that is why Season 2 is likely the absolute best second season of television I can remember seeing. Leftovers is going to be one of those cult classic type of shows that Twin Peaks turned out to be. I'm going to stand firm on it being a show that is meant to be binge watched. If/when the complete series comes out on bluray/streaming it's going to win over A LOT of people.

I absolutely love the stories damon lindelof is able to create. I know Lost was a divisive and to some disappointing show but to me it's still one of the greatest storytelling and character exploration shows of all time. I have those same feelings of Leftovers. I have the same desire to learn as much as I can about each episode just like I did for lost. I cannot fucking wait to see what damon creates after leftovers.

Top Bottom