• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: PlayStation 4 "Orbis" Roadmap

and other rumors say that ps4 has way faster RAM, faster cores, and probably a hd8xxx gpu too...now what? i guess we can still keep on arguing who's best even if we haven't seen hw/games/real specs.

Even lherre has said flops is not as important as people think, not as in PC.

ekim

Multiplatform titles will again look pretty similar. With faster RAM and less but faster cores we might see a turnaround from this gens comparisons in multiplatform titles. (This gen 360 mostly wins)

Kouriozan

Hopefully they don't launch at the same time, I want to buy them day 1.
And marketing wise it would be too dangerous for Sony. In that case the one who has the most money win.

Tonidayo

It's more of a problem with them not having the assests to just go gung-ho with advertisement. Sonys value has dropped incredibly over the past years as a whole. While SCE is arguably their most successful branch but they can't just be loose with their spending. I think thy are doing great with the PS3 and if they get a strong launch off next-gen they could probably get the Vita to ride along side the PS4 in success.

As of today, i do agree that they do not. However, prior to the PS3 launch, they did as the PS2 encountered massive global success and adoption. They simply expected PS2 owners to jump onto the PS3, whatever the price tag. But they did not, due to marketing and advertising. I mean, when you hear of the PS3 for the first time, and you see this ad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJaGScKpZuU) , do you actually feel attracted to the product ? Not me, on the contrary it pushes me away from it and just go on thinking : What the fuck was that ? Totally wrong message.

elcapitan

Regardless of final specs, I think third-party parity will be the norm, not the exception. It really comes down to first parties to show off the strengths of the hardware.

Microsoft will definitely have a subsidized 250 or 300 dollar system but I'm not sure if Sony will do that with playstation plus.

i-Lo

I remember Jack T saying that it's not being first, it's about being the best. Bunch of marketing PR to later pad the rationalization in case of PS4's launch after XB3. I really hope they forgo Japan (provided they plan to release there before XB3 and perhaps around the same time, Nov/Dec, in NA and hopefully EU).

On a related note on how this thread is going:

I can already sniff the fanboy desperation: "my upcoming purchase is better than your upcoming purchase... because it's got more/faster XYZ. Let me quote others on things I don't understand to justify my claim. etc" Yet no one has seen anything concrete as to the results and won't be until E3.

Oh god, how I have missed fanboy wars. Chumming the waters this E3.

Not initially. There's always large differences in the beginning as devs get used to the strengths and weaknesses of each machine.

Honestly, for most casual consumers the differences between the early PS3/360 titles weren't that big. Message boards over blow the differences.

Wish I could do that...fuck. Wife would probably kill me in my sleep though.

File for divorce. It's your only option. Feel the HYPE in your veins.

Majukun

i'm curious...if these configurations were confirmed,would direct ports been possible between wii U and the other two "next gen" consoles?

Karak

Jesus, there's no way E3 will be disappointing. I expect great things from all 3.

Blood in the water time:)
Once all the specs lay and it will be interesting to see if price is the true game winner here and if Sony wants to try to take on the debt and do a 199.99 deal or something. Then...there will be blood.

Hopefully Sony isn't stupid enough to pass that up. They should definitely do it.

would it work at its current price? sony have to use that money to secure new games they often give away for free as well as help support their online infrastructure and so on.

I hope they do it though. buying subsidised consoles would make it much easier on my wallet and result in me buying a number of more launch titles.

Not initially. There's always large differences in the beginning as devs get used to the strengths and weaknesses of each machine.

It's a given that Naughty Dog and Guerrilla will have offerings at, or soon after launch. We all know those two companies push out awesome games. On the MS side of things i think its likely we will see Halo 14 and Gears of War 19.5 Apocalypse edition.

Seriously though, all this next Gen news is awesome. I'm skeptical, but hopeful of a 2013 PS4 US launch.

GT6...?

Violater

As of today, i do agree that they do not. However, prior to the PS3 launch, they did as the PS2 encountered massive global success and adoption. They simply expected PS2 owners to jump onto the PS3, whatever the price tag. But they did not, due to marketing and advertising. I mean, when you hear of the PS3 for the first time, and you see this ad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJaGScKpZuU) , do you actually feel attracted to the product ? Not me, on the contrary it pushes me away from it and just go on thinking : What the fuck was that ? Totally wrong message.

While i agree the marketing was crap
Lol what were they going to show?
Clips of CG KZ2?
PS3 came out a year late and at the same time a year earlier than they probably would have liked to. Release date coupled with the price tag and no games was just compounded by the non existent at best "marketing".
Hell by the time the damn thing was released most of my friends had already moved on to the 360. Granted 2 years later some of them bought PS3's but a large number of previous PS2 owners were already gone.

Even lherre has said flops is not as important as people think, not as in PC.

where did i mention flops as a measure of power? the point is that we don't know. if anything, rumors so far suggest nextbox might have more cpu cores and more ram amount, ps4 might have a better gpu and faster ram. that's pretty much what we know, because, they're rumors. even the tflops numbers being thrown in the other thread were all over the thread.
again, pointless argument.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
i'm curious...if these configurations were confirmed,would direct ports been possible between wii U and the other two "next gen" consoles?

WiiU is resigned to ps360 ports, trashware and a handful of awesome Nintendo titles.

Hindle

Banned
xbox will launch in all major markets this year. PlayStation probably us and japan... maybe uk. Other markets feb 2014

I'm not sure they need to, get the machine out in NA and the UK as fast as possible and they can go from there.

Edit: I'm talking about both consoles.

You need to go and read up on what GDDR is actually used for.

4 GB of GDDR5 is MORE than enough. My bets are that it'll actually end up with 2 GB, though, cause 4 GB of GDDR5 would be pretty insane.

I'm looking at upgrading my graphics card to a GTX 670 pretty soon, and that's going to cost me about $300~ or so and that only has 2 GB of GDDR5.

There's going to be separate memory in the system for the OS / system processes.

Are you saying those 4GB are for VRAM only? If so then you're insane.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Nope. Once this generation is over, the WiiU will be hard pressed not to repeat the PS3/360/Wii era in terms of third party franchise support.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
It's a given that Naughty Dog and Guerrilla will have offerings at, or soon after launch. We all know those two companies push out awesome games. On the MS side of things i think its likely we will see Halo 14 and Gears of War 19.5 Apocalypse edition.

Seriously though, all this next Gen news is awesome. I'm skeptical, but hopeful of a 2013 PS4 US launch.

GT6...?
I see you've started early.

I've got a baby due in February, I can dream about the Orbis, but there is no way I am getting both,

Of course, they can shoot themselves in the foot and say no PSN game compatibility, no PS1 or PS2 classics...

The Jason

Well both systems might come out this year. But neither will have any games.

But really, I wonder what launch titles we will have. One or two solid titles is enough.

goomba

Banned
Durango devs kits ram is 12GB, not 8GB. And not always the dev kits has double ram. VGLeaks rumor said 12GB dev kits, 4GB for debug and 8GB for final hardware (8GB+4GB = 12GB).

6GB total , having 2GB of slower OS plus 4GB GDDR5 for "games" is IMO , the minimum it should have.

where did i mention flops as a measure of power? the point is that we don't know. if anything, rumors so far suggest nextbox might have more cpu cores and more ram amount, ps4 might have a better gpu and faster ram. that's pretty much what we know, because, they're rumors. even the tflops numbers being thrown in the other thread were all over the thread.
again, pointless argument.

That's right, we don't know. On paper, GDDR5 looks better, faster memory, but we don't know yet what of two is stronger.

I really think both will be very similar.

6GB total , having 2GB of slower OS plus 4GB for "games" is IMO , the minimum it should have.

Source? most rumors point to 8GB (12GB devkit).

According to Wikipedia:

The device, then known by its codename Next Generation Portable (NGP for short), was announced on January 27, 2011 at the "PlayStation Meeting" in Japan by Sony Computer Entertainment president Kazuo Hirai.

When is PlayStation Meeting again? Or there no chance that it will be announced before E3?

injurai

Banned

Your right about how it made me feel. I felt it did a disjustice to the games that I was interested in on their platform. I feel though the major weakness of the PS3 was not having a popular 1st party FPS game. Which was at the time the trending medium of console video games. So people opted for their Halo, after getting the taste of online play that was Halo 2 on the OG Xbox. That and the better price point was a much better investment in fun than what sony was offering.

Top Bottom