• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 PC performance thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hopefully bumping this thread hasn't given anyone false hope... but I just noticed I have "Dishonored 2 TESTING" in my steam library. Anyone else?

I presume you have a review key? A couple of new apps were added to the game's beta testing sub a few days ago. One has more than a dozen data depots attached to it, which I'd wager is the testing app, and the other appears to be a seemingly significant piece of DLC.

In a perfect world, the game would be in the process of being ported to id Tech 6 proper.

brau

In a perfect world, the game would be in the process of being ported to id Tech 6 proper.

This would be amazing.

The frame pacing issues and inconsistent fps on my rig had me stop playing the game in the middle of chapter 3. When it runs well the game can be amazing, the art looks pretty awesome, and the atmosphere is great. It just sucks they couldn't use a competent engine. Hoping that Prey doesn't follow suit, from some PC hands on i heard that even tho its not IDpoop5 it still has some performance issues.

Izcarielo

Banned
I presume you have a review key? A couple of new apps were added to the game's beta testing sub a few days ago. One has more than a dozen data depots attached to it, which I'd wager is the testing app, and the other appears to be a seemingly significant piece of DLC.

Did they announce DLC for Dishonored 2? Its been so many months since the game came out with no news of DLC i lost hope on that. Maybe theyre letting it slowly die considering the sales bomba this game was? It would be a shame...

Filben

After finishing some games of my pile of shame I could finally started Dishonored 2. Man, this games looks gorgeous in 4k! Unfortunately, this game is far less playable at apparent constant 30FPS than any other game I have played. Although my frame times seem to be perfect at 33.33ms it's like I have some microstutters. A real shame because it's so beautiful. However, even on 1440p and with constant 60FPS/16.66ms per frame it feels like having microstutters when I turn around.

Any known fix for that?
Quoting my last post because it's the last one on the last page.

Does also anybody know if these issues exist on the console version?

The game runs like shit on consoles as well. The game is just very poorly optimized and it's sad because the original ran on a toaster in comparison. I think they should have used Unreal engine 4 over their custom made one. It's crazy they haven't even addressed the performance issues on PC yet.

Paragon

Quoting my last post because it's the last one on the last page.
Does also anybody know if these issues exist on the console version?
The console version is worse.
With a fast enough PC - or appropriate settings for your current PC - it should be possible to play the game smoothly - at least if you find 30 FPS acceptable.

I downloaded the game again since someone said there might have been an update - unfortunately it doesn't look like that's a public build.

If I select the right settings for my PC, I can play the game at 1440p30 with absolutely no stuttering/frame-pacing issues at all when using borderless windowed mode and the half-rate V-Sync option.
I have a GTX 1070, a 2500K @ 4.5GHz, and 16GB of RAM.

This PC can handle everything on ultra settings except texture quality.
With medium quality textures, CPU usage hit 80% on the highest core. The game ran at a perfectly smooth 30 FPS.
With high quality textures, the highest core was at 88%. Still running at a perfect 30 FPS.
With very high quality textures, one of the CPU cores would sometimes hit 100%. This was mostly smooth with occasional stuttering when that happened.
With ultra quality textures all cores frequently hit 95-100% usage and the game was a constant stuttering mess.

Unfortunately, my 2500K just isn't fast enough to run the game at a smooth 60 FPS even with all settings at their lowest - but I'm sure that a faster CPU could.
I'm not sure if there is anything which could handle the game at 60 FPS when using ultra quality textures yet.

I don't know if it's something which changed in the latest version of MSI Afterburner or the latest RTSS beta, but it seems like framerate is being reported more accurately than it was before now too. Instead of just reporting 60 FPS and stuttering, it actually seems to report drops to the 55-59 FPS range.

Filben

This PC can handle everything on ultra settings except texture quality
I tried this. Although my CPU load goes from 90-100% down to 40-50% when I use the 'very low' texture setting, it doesn't help with the micro stutters at 60FPS. Here, I made a video showing the issue. Note: Some drops from 60FPS to 57 out of fucking nowhere (this is bothering me in BF1 as well, so I bascially do NOT cap at 60 FPS to buffer those drops). You will see later in the video that my system is capable of handling 70-110 fps in this games. No drops below 60 FPS when the FPS cap is higher. So drops below 60FPS at capped 60FPS should NOT happen. This is so weird.
https://youtu.be/Z9AB6rBCbT8 (video might still being processed)

The issue seems to vanish when playing at 30FPS or is at least much less noticeable, but another issue arises, that is to say some very strange sort of "ghosting" appears I have never encountered in other games I do play at 30FPS from time to time (like The Witcher 3 at 4k). Here, a video showing this issue, best perceivable at medium speed camera turning speed. At higher or lower speed it's not that apparent, but still:
https://youtu.be/n2DL_c6EECc?t=20s

Dmax3901

Yeah that's it. Hopefully good news at some point!

JaseC

Did they announce DLC for Dishonored 2? Its been so many months since the game came out with no news of DLC i lost hope on that. Maybe theyre letting it slowly die considering the sales bomba this game was? It would be a shame...

Nah, not yet.

Anyone have the issue where their video settings reset everytime they boot the game up? None of the quality/video settings stay as is everytime I quit the game.

bongpig

Neo Member
4 months and still a mess. Ok, I think we can safely assume its current state is where its going to stick.

Way I figure, it didn't sell very well, so its unlikely anybody is actively working on it any more. However, if they release DLC, im not going to be impressed at all that they are using resources to add content without fixing the shite frame pacing issues first.

JaseC

4 months and still a mess. Ok, I think we can safely assume its current state is where its going to stick.

Way I figure, it didn't sell very well, so its unlikely anybody is actively working on it any more. However, if they release DLC, im not going to be impressed at all that they are using resources to add content without fixing the shite frame pacing issues first.

There's still hope: the private patch2 (internal testing) branch was last modified a little over two weeks ago, and the "testing" app only eight days ago. The bigger question is why Bethesda recently made an entirely separate app for testing (fingers and toes crossed for id Tech 6).

Paragon

There's still hope: the private patch2 (internal testing) branch was last modified a little over two weeks ago, and the "testing" app only eight days ago. The bigger question is why Bethesda recently made an entirely separate app for testing (fingers and toes crossed for id Tech 6).
I would think that a Vulkan renderer is more likely than a move to id Tech 6; possibly in collaboration with AMD.
Whatever work is being done, I just hope that they can get the game to a state where it will run at a smooth framerate without stuttering.

JaseC

I would think that a Vulkan renderer is more likely than a move to id Tech 6; possibly in collaboration with AMD.
Whatever work is being done, I just hope that they can get the game to a state where it will run at a smooth framerate without stuttering.

Oh, I agree, but while Bethesda has historically used separate apps for development and the public (e.g. Elephant/Zion = Doom), what has me intrigued is the fact that the game has another "testing" app that was only recently uploaded. Curiouser and curiouser!

ramshot

Just downloaded an update from Steam. "Game Update 3" apparently? Would like confirmation if anyone else feels like it's better now? I feel like there's still something off about the frame pacing as a whole, 90fps doesn't feel like 90fps, but the worst of the pacing problems seem cured. For example, when stabbing someone "up and close" from stealth used to clearly stutter, but now it seems fine for me?

Maybe I could finally enjoy this game.

Shari

Just downloaded an update from Steam. "Game Update 3" apparently? Would like confirmation if anyone else feels like it's better now? I feel like there's still something off about the frame pacing as a whole, 90fps doesn't feel like 90fps, but the worst of the pacing problems seem cured. For example, when stabbing someone "up and close" from stealth used to clearly stutter, but now it seems fine for me?

Maybe I could finally enjoy this game.

Yep I was coming to post 3. Game update 3 is on the beta branch.

Hopefully some more folks can test it, I'm still waiting to buy the game.

bongpig

Neo Member
Ok. Reinstalling this fookin' game for the 3rd time to check the latest update. Will report back a little later.

Cant say im confident....

horkrux

The frame pacing problems are still there. I set everything to medium and watched the hitching take place. Even RTSS can't do jackshit.

I don't care as much as I thought I would though. I just got the game and I've been playing this with everything cranked up and while this makes the game drop to around 45fps frequently, I'm still enjoying the game and the visuals a hell of a lot.

Regginator

How does Dishonored 2 run now for 4670K / 280X users?

I kinda held off when I read how fucked the performance was when it released. It went from day 1 to day, uhm.. what day is it? Day 120 and counting?

bongpig

Neo Member
The frame pacing problems are still there. I set everything to medium and watched the hitching take place. Even RTSS can't do jackshit.

I don't care as much as I thought I would though. I just got the game and I've been playing this with everything cranked up and while this makes the game drop to around 45fps frequently, I'm still enjoying the game and the visuals a hell of a lot.

When you say "framepacing" are you talking about framerate/performance drops? Personally, I had no issue with performance at all. Scenes that ran comfortably at well over 80fps with vsync off, would become a horrible stuttery mess with vsync on. Even though afterburner showed a rock solid 60fps with 16.6ms frametimes, what I was actually getting in-game was hideous.

horkrux

When you say "framepacing" are you talking about framerate/performance drops? Personally, I had no issue with performance at all. Scenes that ran comfortably at well over 80fps with vsync off, would become a horrible stuttery mess with vsync on. Even though afterburner showed a rock solid 60fps with 16.6ms frametimes, what I was actually getting in-game was hideous.

No, not performance drops. I'm attributing the performance drops I mentioned to me stressing my 2600k too much with everything on Ultra. But like you say, getting rock solid 60fps (on medium in my case) with supposedly good frametimes still has the game stuttering and that's what I meant.

bongpig

Neo Member
No, not performance drops. I'm attributing the performance drops I mentioned to me stressing my 2600k too much with everything on Ultra. But like you say, getting rock solid 60fps (on medium in my case) with supposedly good frametimes still has the game stuttering and that's what I meant.

Thanks for clarifying. So thats totally not promising from my perspective. It probably means I wont have any luck with the update either.

EDIT

Yep... I can confirm that the latest "update" did nothing at all for the frame pacing problems. Still the same shit. So thats that.... its not ever going to be fixed. Why is it that anything Bethesda are involved in is always a technical mess? Never buying anything they touch again. Never.

wazoo

Just started the game with a 970 and gsync.

The framerate is very high but the game has hiccups on ULTRA. I read I should try SMAA ? Reshade has become a pain in the ass to use.

What about textures ? I would like all games to show VRAM usage depending on settings ...

JaseC

Just started the game with a 970 and gsync.

The framerate is very high but the game has hiccups on ULTRA. I read I should try SMAA ? Reshade has become a pain in the ass to use.

What about textures ? I would like all games to show VRAM usage depending on settings ...

Ultra uses around 5.5GB VRAM at 1080p.

Stevey

Sorry for the bump but this is half price on Steam.
I have a i7 3770k@4.1GHZ, 16GB RAM, GTX 1080, Windows 10, SSD and a 144hz monitor.
Does this run alright now?
Anyone got any idea what sort of performance I will get on my rig at 1080p?

Paragon

I have a i7 3770k@4.1GHZ, 16GB RAM, GTX 1080, Windows 10, SSD and a 144hz monitor.
They're releasing a trial on the 6th of April: http://steamcommunity.com/games/403640/announcements/detail/548718190268502702
It still has issues, and I'm not convinced that it will ever be fixed.
I've now built a completely new PC and it still runs like crap. Even with G-Sync.

brau

I really doubt it'll get fixed by now.

If the frame pacing issues don't bother you go for it. For me, its a waste of money because of the bad performance.

Mohasus

You will see later in the video that my system is capable of handling 70-110 fps in this games. No drops below 60 FPS when the FPS cap is higher. So drops below 60FPS at capped 60FPS should NOT happen. This is so weird.

It isn't weird. Framerate is a shitty performance metric and your case shows why.

Quick exaggerated example:
Let's say your computer render 200 frames in 0.5s and then freezes for the rest of that second. Your FPS would be 100, but you would have a nasty stutter there. If the framerate was capped at 60, the same stutter would happen, only in this case, it would show as 30 FPS.

Hooks

Well I've waited months for this to get fixed for PC I've only got a 780 so it looks like it's never gonna be fixed for me... How's PS4 pro performance? Is it just as bad or is it optimized properly. Got a ps4 on the weekend so thinking of picking this up.

Dmax3901

I keep saying this, but I wish Digital Foundry would do a post-mortem to show that this game still has issues, awareness might actually get something done about it. It's weird that they keep patching it without addressing the biggest problem.

brau

I keep saying this, but I wish Digital Foundry would do a post-mortem to show that this game still has issues, awareness might actually get something done about it. It's weird that they keep patching it without addressing the biggest problem.

I'll tweet at them.

It would be awesome to see them revisit it to show some definite facts to share with the developers. I think they just called it done with their last patch.

thumb

Banned

I think this is the un-weirdest part. Frame-pacing may be a much more difficult issue to address than quest bugs and other glitches. If they are working on it, it may take a while.

Though I do agree with your overall point: Digital Foundry should do a follow-up.

Dmax3901

I think this is the un-weirdest part. Frame-pacing may be a much more difficult issue to address than quest bugs and other glitches. If they are working on it, it may take a while.

Though I do agree with your overall point: Digital Foundry should do a follow-up.

I meant more acknowledging the problem exists, rather than actually fixing it.

Well I've waited months for this to get fixed for PC I've only got a 780 so it looks like it's never gonna be fixed for me... How's PS4 pro performance? Is it just as bad or is it optimized properly. Got a ps4 on the weekend so thinking of picking this up.

Unless recent patches fixed it, it was often sub 30 with generally awful frame pacing the majority of the time

SimplexPL

Just came across this, maybe it will help, I did not test it myself, but my friend told me it worked for him:

http://youtu.be/KU7pI7xNiyA#ws

What we need?
1. Make sure you've configured Dishonored 2 to achieve rock-solid 60FPS.
2. Download Riva Tuner Server Statistic and set lock to 60FPS (RTSS is probably best way to get pefect framepacing in most of games).
3. In your driver settings you should have:
- Power management mode - Prefer maximum performance
- Threaded optimalization - On
MOST IMPORTANT
4. Use Borderless Fullscreen instead of Fullscreen mode - you can set it in Options\Visuals\Video Settings tab.
5. Turn on VSync in game (Options\Visuals\Advanced Settings).
6. Don't use Triple Buffering (Options\Visuals\Advanced Settings)!

Paragon

Just came across this, maybe it will help, I did not test it myself, but my friend told me it worked for him:
Afterburner doesn't seem to help - the problem appears to be the engine.
Here's a video of me moving the camera, showing the Afterburner FPS monitor (top) vs the G-Sync FPS monitor (bottom).
Notice how slow Afterburner is to update, how much it lags behind, and how many framerate drops it misses entirely.
The actual framerate can be 20 FPS lower than what Afterburner reports.
It isn't always lower though - sometimes it's higher too. Afterburner just doesn't show how variable the framerate can be in Dishonored 2.

That's why you can't trust the framerate numbers that you're getting from the game with a software tool, and why it might read a constant "60 FPS" but still stutter badly.
Those huge framerate drops are why it stutters even with G-Sync.

And you don't have to be moving the camera at all.
Sometimes I get momentary drops of 15-20 FPS for no apparent reason when the game is just sitting there completely idle. Afterburner doesn't see those at all.
While Afterburner often lags behind the G-Sync monitor, since the display is just outputting its refresh rate every frame, most games don't show such a huge difference between the two.

JaseC

Will check in a few hours when I'm home.

EDIT: So I've actually uninstalled it (heh), but the uninstalled version doesn't have anything next to it.

Cheers. It seems the "testing" app and the demo are one and the same.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well. I've played the first 30-40 min of the demo a the game works fine on my rig for some reason. 99% of time - stable 60 FPS with occasional little and barely noticable frame drops to like 59. It's a prologue though, will it get worse further down the line? I mean, so far it was good at least with these settings (1440p is not an option - the game is very unstable at this resolution):

svezpGa.png

XthwpsE.png

LMH2r2K.png

http://i.imgur.com/LvnT4Nw.png
If I recall correctly, even the beginning of the game at launch and after a couple of patches was a disaster in terms of performance, but now it's perfectly fine. I could buy the game with 50% off but... it's just too much games released this month and I still haven't finished Hollow Knight and MEA and there's more games coming this month (DOWIII, SGW3 and potentially Bayonetta for PC), don't know if I'll have the time for Dishonored 2 now... and there's also Prey coming next month. Yeah, probably summer sale.

Well. I've played the first 30-40 min of the demo a the game works fine on my rig for some reason. 99% of time - stable 60 FPS with occasional little and barely noticable frame drops to like 59. It's a prologue though, will it get worse further down the line? I mean, so far it was good at least with these settings (1440p is not an option - the game is very unstable at this resolution):

If I recall correctly, even the beginning of the game at launch and after a couple of patches was a disaster in terms of performance, but now it's perfectly fine. I could buy the game with 50% off but... it's just too much games released this month and I still haven't finished Hollow Knight and MEA and there's more games coming this month (DOWIII, SGW3 and potentially Bayonetta for PC), don't know if I'll have the time for Dishonored 2 now... and there's also Prey coming next month. Yeah, probably summer sale.

The prologue mission isn't really representative I'd say. But in the 2nd mission there is a vista not far in that is as demanding as anything else in the game in my experience. If you are fine there then you will probly be fine for everything else.

I dont have the game but the general concensus was that it gets a lot worse once you hit the open outdoors level

Is this shit actually playable on PC?

I downloaded the demo, start a new campaign, watch the intro cinematic then once it switches to scene where Emily receives the signet... the music suddenly stops, the voices are delayed(or the subtitles are ahead idk), then once the door opens, it just CTD's.

I've tried to skip the scene but it just goes into a black screen with footsteps looping until you hit the escape key sending it back to the desktop.

I really want to play this game tbh but if the PC port is like this, I don't even think I wanna touch the XBone version even if it works better... maybe when it's $10 bucks or something.

It's seriously disappointing considering that I really loved the 1st one.

Top Bottom