• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Final Fantasy |OT| Lightning Inside

Waggles

You have to find the $48 one that is shipped and sold by Amazon.
Nothing else works.

I did. Doesn't work.

Bummer, too. After my run with XV, I'd like to play it.

Edit: amazon option is now removed, too.

Edit2: in an incredible upset, Woff through amazon is back up. Code worked this time, too. Thanks for the heads up on the code, Benny.

Exentryk

He tried.

giphy.gif

Also, use a 4 AP move and recover 6 AP. Sounds legit! :p

giphy.gif

joe2187

Banned
if anyone is interested I have a voucher code for the Day One DLC for Sephiroth, Glow Moogle, White Chocobo and Red Bonetberry.

So as a huge fan of Final Fantasy XII, is it worth waiting until the Balthier summon is available to start playing this?

I have no intention of playing through this twice. Do the summons do enough or have an active enough presence that it'd be worth waiting for?

Peff

So as a huge fan of Final Fantasy XII, is it worth waiting until the Balthier summon is available to start playing this?

I have no intention of playing through this twice. Do the summons do enough or have an active enough presence that it'd be worth waiting for?

Not even remotely. Game's really easy as is and summons are essentially a cheat code, so if you don't mind that, you can probably squeeze a couple dozen uses out of Balthier. If you do, you can just load your save once it comes out, use the summon once or twice to watch the sequence play out and that's pretty much all it offers, plus if they didn't call HJO, who had recently recorded stuff for 0.2, for Sora's one line I doubt they'll call Gideon Emery now. Honestly, these post-release summons are really baffling and kind of a waste of time for everyone involved.

Not even remotely. Game's really easy as is and summons are essentially a cheat code, so if you don't mind that, you can probably squeeze a couple dozen uses out of Balthier. If you do, you can just load your save once it comes out, use the summon once or twice to watch the sequence play out and that's pretty much all it offers, plus if they didn't call HJO, who had recently recorded stuff for 0.2, for Sora's one line I doubt they'll call Gideon Emery now. Honestly, these post-release summons are really baffling and kind of a waste of time for everyone involved.

Thanks. :)

Wasn't aware that Balthier is coming!

Guess in July because of FFXII?

Yup! and it looks adorable.

WoFF-Balflear-Summon-Ann.jpg

This game seems short. I'm on chapter 16 and only about 11 hours in. I know there's around 20ish chapters, but the game feels like it hasn't even really picked up steam story wise.

tariniel

I really wanted to like this game but I've been having a rough go of it. I'm on chapter 9 I think
I have to surf on an Adamantoise through some sharks.

So far I'm only playing it out of obligation since I spent money on it... I don't mind the art style but I really dislike the voice acting and most of the dialogue and humor. The menus are extremely slow and there's always a load screen or some kind of waiting for everything. The story also seems kind of whatever and I'm not enjoying grinding around to catch the mirages or anything.

Most games I enjoy exploring nooks and crannies for items but I find myself just taking the quickest possible path out of an area to move on because I'm constantly annoyed. I think maybe I should just stop, unless it somehow gets better soon?

ffvorax

Started the game yesterday!
Got wiped out by Shiva... I was wondering if I had to do some grinding... then remembered to level up abilities of my monsters, and changed the set up, stacking also some more of them... I did 180 of dmg with fire, after that changes -> 380... lol!

Can't wait to have more monster to choose for battle! :D

RpgN

So I have been playing the game slowly since launch and made it to chapter 8. Despite not giving it enough time as I would like, it is surprising how quickly the chapters are moving and that there are only
chapters.

Also is it just me? The game seems to be pretty challenging due to the economy being tighter. Buying items is so expensive and you don't get enough money to buy enough like previous FF games.

RDreamer

So I have been playing the game slowly since launch and made it to chapter 8. Despite not giving it enough time as I would like, it is surprising how quickly the chapters are moving and that there are only
chapters.

Also is it just me? The game seems to be pretty challenging due to the economy being tighter. Buying items is so expensive and you don't get enough money to buy enough like previous FF games.

I felt I was drowning in items and money pretty early on, actually.

The game is only 21 chapters, but if you do the intervention quests (and you should), it's pretty back heavy.

chapters.

Length comes from mirage leveling and intervention quests.
While at no point did the game feel hard to me, the difficulty becomes a joke after a while. I just level or catch new monsters to see their special attacks at this point. I think im in ch 15 or so.
Oh and there are quite a few poat game quests and mirages too

Fauve

Yeah, I see that now!

Getting my ass kicked by Bahamut. Where should I go to grind? I have Holy on Reynn and my Pale Tonberry is about to learn Holy too so I don't know if I will get Holier or something lol

I remember gravity being really good (especially on both twins) for those late game boss fights, it works on a surprising amount of bosses and can do more than 9999 damage. A death searcher (machine eye) has it IIRC. You can transfig a magitek if you caught one from the underground prison area. Death searchers were also in
Castle Exnine,
so you might even have one already.

Exentryk

^ Sea Worm has Gravity Counter, which can also be very useful as it doesn't consume AP. Also, Gravity works on everything and can be buffed by Faith, Focus, etc.

Yeah, I see that now!

Getting my ass kicked by Bahamut. Where should I go to grind?

Level up in the last dungeon you finished near the save point. Once you unlock Icicle Region (Slip) area, level there. Then post game, level in Ex Dungeon Z near save point.

chapters.

It is tighter compared to old FF games. Try to use mirages that have treasure hunter or gilfinder abilities. You can also use the same mirajewels on top to stack the effects.

joe2187

Banned
Does leveling up Mirages and their transfigurations counts toward the "100 Mirage boards cleared" trophy?

I feel like I've leveled up more than a 100 by now, just by getting each mirage to a gold star, clearing 2-3 mirage boards each creature.

TFGB

@joe2187 it sure does. Remember that the boards need to be unique...any duplicate mirage boards won't count. ;)

Got the Plat on this game a short while back. I loved every minute of it and the combat system was ideally suited to me. It looks seriously gorgeous in places too!

RpgN

I felt I was drowning in items and money pretty early on, actually.

The game is only 21 chapters, but if you do the intervention quests (and you should), it's pretty back heavy.

Length comes from mirage leveling and intervention quests.
While at no point did the game feel hard to me, the difficulty becomes a joke after a while. I just level or catch new monsters to see their special attacks at this point. I think im in ch 15 or so.
Oh and there are quite a few poat game quests and mirages too

It is tighter compared to old FF games. Try to use mirages that have treasure hunter or gilfinder abilities. You can also use the same mirajewels on top to stack the effects.

Maybe I wasn't clear with my initial post, I wasn't necessarily negative that the game could be more challenging.

I did not do any of the intervention quests, grind, Colosseum or go back to previous areas to do the monsters inside the cubes. This is probably the reason why the game feels more challenging than it should. I do enjoy that this is keeping me on my toes and think about using the right mirages and having a better strategy. I have done 2 interventions quests and 2 Colosseum fights since. And indeed, the intervention quests are tons of fun. I will be doing more of them along with Colosseum fights. The rest I will try and do near the end.

The other reason why the game feels more challenging (this is where I am more negative) is how expensive the items are and how monsters don't fetch a lot of gill with every fight. Phoenix Down costs 1000, buying items with status inflicting ailments is between 600 and 900 (?) while you need them to capture certain mirages. Due to not grinding or doing the optional content up to that point and cure spell not being powerful enough, I am still heavily relying on using items. But I found a cheap way to get Phoenix Down by doing a Colosseum with them as a reward. Also, thank you for the suggestions with the skills Exentryk.

I hope the game remains challenging while being a bit more easier to get the items that you need. Hearing that it's going to be piss easy is unfortunate.

I just got this game for my Vita as part of the Final Fantasy anniversary sale. What a great game so far and it's much more hilarious than I thought it would be. Glad it doesn't take itself seriously and the chibi characters and so many of the monsters are so cute.

I recently just finished Dragon Quest Builders on the Vita as well and so far, Square Enix is batting 1000 with these two games. They both look good, run very well, and have amazing production qualities.

Ravage

Lttp thanks to the crazy number of great games released in the past 3 months (S;G0, SAO:HR, FFXV, Digimon NO, KHII.8, Yakuza 0, etc).

I'm only about 10hrs in and the game has already justified its price for me. Suffice to say, I was really surprised by how much I'm enjoying the game and it has rekindled my interest in simple menu-based combat. The light-hearted story matches perfectly with its artstyle, wonderful music and simple-but-fun gameplay. Possibly the most relaxing game I've played in years and a perfect treat after a hard day at work.

Bishop89

there is only 1 more treasure chest i need before I can platinum this.
This is driving me crazy I feel like ive been through every dungeon/region 100 times! argghhh!!

What are the most highly missable treasure chests in this game?

I feel like the one im missing is in chainroad dungeon

Edit: after 3 hours of wasting my time. Found it at Crystal Tower, behind a smashable rock...
platinumed finally.

Is the day-1 edition the only way to get the Sephiroth summon & Japanese VO DLC at present?

There's a Vita copy on sale at Grainger and I might grab it before it's gone.

Is the day-1 edition the only way to get the Sephiroth summon & Japanese VO DLC at present?

There's a Vita copy on sale at Grainger and I might grab it before it's gone.
That's the only way, yeah. I think the Sora medal DLC is only free for a limited time as well so probs not a bad idea to hop on it.

That's the only way, yeah. I think the Sora medal DLC is only free for a limited time as well so probs not a bad idea to hop on it.

Yeah, I've already downloaded that haha. I was just wondering because stock of the Vita version in EU seems to be fairly low, you can pick up the normal version for £20 but it's £25 for the day-1 edition so I might just jump on that.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ok, updating this so I don't have to make an LTTP thread.

After finishing FFXV, I finally decided to open my copy and give this game a go. Some initial thoughts:

- The art style is so cutesy it's making my heart melt. It looks like what I'd expect a new Blue Dragon game to look like.
- Sadly the game doesn't have any Pro upgrades but it looks well enough even on 1080p.
- The game's pacing is real slow, like I want to increase general things like character running animations etc in the world.
- I really appreciate the addition of a fast forward toggle for battles, they're reaaaaaaaaal slow otherwise.
- I sort of don't like that there's a pause and load screen after each battle. Would have liked it if it was instantaneous but with a USB SSD, at least they're 2~ seconds tops.
- The difficulty in the game's been pretty easy so far, I'm just auto-attacking things to victory.
- Generally sticking with the Jiant models and 3x stacks, sure it's giving me less individual turns but the 2 times I get to fight, the attacks are generally strong enough to kill all normal enemies in 1 strike, so that's something I guess.
- I got Balthier and Sora medals when starting the game, no idea what to do with them right now but I guess the game's gonna tell me in due time (currently just started Chapter 4).
- Holy shit the voice acting is TERRIBLE. What the the-fuck is the-this the-shit.

I think all they did was fixed how the visuals were broken on a PRO, I couldn't even play it until they patched it /facepalm
Wait what? I dont remember the details but the bug occurred only in one of the two situations based on whether your display supported 4k or not. The bug wouldn't exist if it didn't have a pro patch since those run identical to thw ps4 version

I am enjoying this game quite a bit more than FFXV.

I enjoyed it more than persona 5,
And i had no intention of buying it simply because of the funko pop characters
A good condensed rpg with lots of combat options, summons. Not too long, not too short.
Decent production values, no filler fluff even sidequests had full side story cutscenes.
On amf a consistently great soundtrack and a story knows exactly what it is throughout

Pantz

Any good tips to know while I'm early on in the game? At the Pyreglow Forest now. Should I be trying to collect all Mirages or better to transfig them?

Dave1988

Pardon the necrobump but would anyone be so kind as to trade me their Maduin? I need one to be able to transfig mine, so I can trade him back after I register him. I really, REALLY don't want to lose hours trying to get him the legit way.

PSN is Dave1988.

I think I'm about to start this game. Two questions:

1. Does this game not have an official strategy guide like mainline FF do?
2. Should I go with dub or sub? The english VA seems great, but the major desync between the voices and the lips is a real bother.

hank_tree

2. Should I go with dub or sub? The english VA seems great, but the major desync between the voices and the lips is a real bother.

1. There is an official guide. At least in Europe. I've seen it in my local bookshop.

2. Go with Japanese for the love of god. Tama is unbearable in English.

Lucreto

1. There is a strategy guide from prima games. You can buy the book from Amazon or digital from primas site.

2. The English dub is great. Tama can be annoying at times but it's fine. I find the Japanese VA worse.

AmanoBuff

1. There is a strategy guide from prima games. You can buy the book from Amazon or digital from primas site.

2. The English dub is great. Tama can be annoying at times but it's fine. I find the Japanese VA worse.

Agree on both points. The digital guide is actually quite useful if you are going for the trophies. And as for the English voices, despite playing most Japanese games in Japanese, I really enjoyed how well the English dub was done here. I ended up playing the entire game in English due to that.

Top Bottom