• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop: Insomniac's Song of the Deep sales (game and toys) way above expectations

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Highlights:
  • Song of the Deep sold way above expectations. It was 28% above their highest forecasts with physical sales, and way above that level of overperformance on the digital side.
  • The toys are also above expectations, and have a notably higher attach rates than most games (12-14% instead of 7-8%).
  • They also talk about how they did a lot of partnerships for things like a middle-school level book with Barnes and Noble, and how the game and book helped sell a lot of copies of each other.
  • There is some talk about how they work with their individual store managers to really help promote the product and make them personally excited for the game with demos and presentations and the like.
  • GameStop talks about how they want to keep working with all their partners long term, so you can probably expect either Song of the Deep 2, or another game between Insomniac and GameStop.
For the curious, the game has sold 121,410 ± 10,331 copies on Steam. We don't have any other sales numbers.

And here's a snippet quote, though there's a lot more at the link. There will also be a separate thread on their other plans as detailed in the article.

GameStop said:
GB: Did you guys ever announce how well it did?

Stanley: We don't specify units, but from a physical perspective it overachieved in our first three months of launch. It beat our wildest forecasts by 28 percent on the physical side. On the digital side it did way more than that. One piece that also surprised us was the attach on the collectibles. We knew there was a high risk on collectibles, especially for an unknown IP. You can imagine the investment that goes into manufacturing and so on. Traditional attach rates on collectibles for triple-A IPs are around seven to eight percent. Song of the Deep was tracking 12 to 14 percent, which is interesting data. We're on to something there. We're still learning exactly what it is, but our gut feel that we could allow people to explore a new IP and have a relationship through collectibles and limited edition runs of products—we're certainly going to explore that with future games.

Price point was a good learning area too. This was a $15 game. Being able to go out there with a physical $15 game and a digital $15 game was interesting from a retail perspective. Not too many games go out there at $15. It's certainly economically challenging to go out with a $15 game, but we made it work. On the digital side, it was a very welcome price point, especially because what gamers received was probably more like a $24-29 value.
Source: http://venturebeat.com/2017/02/25/how-gamestop-is-faring-as-a-video-game-publisher/

Collector's edition stat has to be a typo or misquote or I'm missing something because it's available for retail at multiple GameStops around me and on eBay it's going for retail ($20) or at most $30 on average.

As for the game itself it didn't catch me and I stopped about 10 minutes in. Sad!

Ridley327

Surprising, given the tepid reception it got from a critical perspective. I guess having so much primo ad space in Gamestop stores really helped it out.

Drayco21

The toys bit is surprising; the Funko Pop exclusive is being clearanced at every Gamestop I've been in for 75% off.

Glad to hear the sale are strong though, I think this is a pretty neat direction for Gamestop to transition into.

I hope so. Seems like my local Gamestop promoted the fuck out of it.
So did mine, and when I went to grab it on launch day without preordering my store guy said I was the only one to get the game so far lol (no preorders).

So I'm kinda surprised it's actually selling physically. Maybe good word of mouth

Edit: I also grabbed the puzzle they had. It's pretty hard though and I still haven't finished it..

DrArchon

Good on Insomniac. I only played Song of the Deep this year, but it was a fantastic game.

And good on Gamestop for publishing it. A game of that level of quality is a great place to start from.

Pein

Banned
I'm happy for insomniac, they've really comeback. Ratchet, song of the deep and hopefully spiderman does well critically and commercially.

I don't think sunset or fuse made them a lot of dough and was feeling bad for them for awhile lol, I could be mistaken about how well they did though.

The Wart

I'm surprised, it sort of came and went without much fanfare. Good for them though. I wonder if we'll see more independent studios becoming "big indies" instead of running the AAA treadmill.

Junk3t

Neo Member
They say it sold way above expectations yet won't give out any numbers, come on!

probably don't want investors knowing how many actually sold because the investors would want EBgames to stop publishing games, whereas EBgames probably wants to do so because of the rise of digital sales.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I really liked it (PS4). Would happily go for a sequel.

bumpkin

Good on Insomniac. I only played Song of the Deep this year, but it was a fantastic game.

And good on Gamestop for publishing it. A game of that level of quality is a great place to start from.
The reviews were all pretty middling across the board. What made it fantastic to you?

I'm not asking to hassle you or discount your enjoyment, I'm genuinely curious. It's been on my radar for a while, I just haven't gotten around to picking it up, largely because the critical reception wasn't so hot.

Haven't gotten a chance to play it yet but I'm happy for Insomniac. Also Ratchet and Clank performed really well for them as well so its cool to see what appears to be a couple successes in a row for them. There was a bit there where it seemed Insomniac was struggling a bit to find commercial success.

GameStop entering the publishing business is actually pretty interesting, I look forward to see what other future projects come out of this.

I think they are lying. I worked for gamestop during its release and have friends that still work there. They said they never sold a single copy. And all the merch and funko pop were on clearance. There was a time when they gave it away for free if you bought something.

Wozman23

This is surprising. I was working for GameStop at the time and saw almost no interest - which in both the game and company's defense is about what I expected for an "indie" game released at the retail level. The merch didn't seem to move either. So maybe expectations were just extremely low.

As for GameStop's publishing division, GameTrust, it's an interesting venture. Granted I think they're taking a very conservative approach by partnering with already established studios both large and small: Insomniac, Ready at Dawn, Frozenbyte.

I wasn't all that impressed by Song of the Deep. It was solid and enjoyable, but it didn't wow me.

I'd really like to see GameTrust take a real risk. Scoop up something new from an unknown studio - something like Narita Boy.

Until they actively look for up-and-coming or unknown talent, I don't see them really making a big splash in the indie community.

I think they are lying. I worked for gamestop during its release and have friends that still work there. They said they never sold a single copy. And all the merch and funko pop were on clearance. There was a time when they gave it away for free if you bought something.
What would they gain by lying?

Zukkoyaki

I really enjoyed Song of the Deep, such a beautiful and fun little game! Glad to hear it performed well for Insomniac and Gametrust. I have a feeling that they're going to find similar success with Deformers.

Not suprising when they were practically forcing most employees to preorder the game in the week leading up to release just to hit quotas and then not allowing them to cancel even after giving everyone codes.

That said, I did enjoy the game even with how short I foutdoor it to be for the type of game they were going for.

5taquitos

Not suprising when they were practically forcing most employees to preorder the game in the week leading up to release just to hit quotas and then not allowing them to cancel even after giving everyone codes.

That said, I did enjoy the game even with how short I foutdoor it to be for the type of game they were going for.
That sounds like it would be a pretty big scoop...

I'll take your word, but I'll also add "allegedly" to it if I were to tell anyone else.

I may have gone to your store lol, I'm in MA too.

Fair enough. Could have just been a few districts but I know others in mine that were experiencing the same issue.

This was also right around the time they locked us out of GSO, our online hub we used for EVERYTHING that wasn't ringing a sale or receiving product, for low used sales nation wide. So I dont doubt it was widespread. In fact I have a vivid memory of Giantbomb discussing this on their podcast while I was working the used ps3 wall.

Seems like GameStop still knows how to move product. I'm not shocked this game has done well, mainly since it has an entire national retail sales force to evangelize it. Selling a parent a console? Why not recommend a cheap downloadable game to round out the package? Repeat that sale a few thousand times, you've got a hit.

Hopefully DeFormers sees the same success.

Parsnip

What is up with those Steam numbers? It was sitting at around 20K on the 13th, and then gained about 100K owners in less than a week. It wasn't on sale on Steam, was it on sale or something elsewhere?

EDIT: Oh right yes, Freedom.

Ascheroth

What is up with those Steam numbers? It was sitting at around 20K on the 13th, and then gained about 100K owners in less than a week. It wasn't on sale on Steam, was it on sale or something elsewhere?

Humble Freedom Bundle

I really enjoyed the game outside of a few... weird design decisions towards the end, good to hear that it apparently did well enough for them.

Top Bottom