• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Shadow of War: Early Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro Graphics Comparison + Frame-Rate test

Cynn

The PS4 Pro is so small of an upgrade to the PS4 I’m not sure why it exists. (And I own one) Xbox One games are so damn ugly in general (ports) that the X1X will be mind melting to Xbox only gamers.

Maybe not for you. Looked amazing on my oled but thanks.

Of course I'm sure your it's not shitposting for the hell of it, because a game made for its launch must be representative of allthe Xbox one x can do. Still should just stop with the comparisons now as obviously it isn't going to get any better and the performance of the one is such a disappointment. Thanks for pointing it out to us pal.

I'm not making a comment about you or your purchases but simply posted an opinion of mine. It wasn't directed at anyone. Just an opinion. That's it.

Maybe take a break

Digital Foundry threads in the last ~6 years have been a fun ride. Last gen Sony fans were in denial and saying there's hardly any difference in lower resolution games. Then this gen the tables completely flipped and the difference was HUGE. Now with the Bone X the same people who were fine with 720p-900p games early in the gen are super fucking psyched about 1900p vs. 1628p

I just fucking love it. These threads should be great entertainment (and actual great analysis, thanks dark!) for the remainder of the gen. The graphics whore in me totally wants the X but I dunno if I can justify it. Maybe seeing enhanced OG XB games analyzed by DF will gimme the push.

Upinsmoke

nice spin lol, the original X1 came with a mandatory kinect.

It was still overpriced considering how bad it was minus Kinect. The fact MS can produce a console ridiculously more powerful only a few years later for a little more money shows that.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I'm not making a comment about you or your purchases but simply posted an opinion of mine. It wasn't directed at anyone. Just an opinion. That's it.

Maybe take a break

How dare you speak ill of the XBX. You now must pay $560 to correct your sin.

Akronis

My 6 year old laptop can’t run prey at 1080p

Why would you equate mobility specs with consoles? And why would you assume that age has anything to do with performance? I can buy a GT 730 and it'd be outperformed by an 8800 Ultra lol

cakely

nice spin lol, the original X1 came with a mandatory kinect.

It's not really spin. The cheapest Xbox One SKU at launch was $499, which is also the launch price for the Xbox One X.

Yes, the mandatory Kinect 2.0 was clearly a mistake.

It's not really spin. The cheapest Xbox One SKU at launch was $499, which is also the launch price for the Xbox One X.

Yes, the mandatory Kinect 2.0 was clearly a mistake.

X1X doesn't even have a kinect port I think? Which should tell you all you need to know.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I mean there are certainly noticeable improvements at times like the ground textures in the comparison in the article. But high ground textures are not always that poor and ultra textures are not always crisp.

I mean these are with ultra textures

4S3K5oD.png

Yeah there are some bad looking textures in this game. They pointed it out in the previous DF PS4 v. Xbone v Pro comparison. Don't think the Pro even has any texture improvements over the the base consoles. Need to see the PC version to see what the different settings look like.

They should do some comparisons in the areas where those bad textures currently stick out like a sore thumb to see if those are actually improved in PC/Xbox One X and how much.

EvB

Why would you equate mobility specs with consoles? And why would you assume that age has anything to do with performance? I can buy a GT 730 and it'd be outperformed by an 8800 Ultra lol

Because that was exactly the line of criticism that people have been saying for years. The consoles are built on the back of low power useage CPUs and GPUs from 2011
Which they are

Dabanton

This is chicken feed the real battle will the the usual R* battle of the grass

for RDR the winner was the 360 over the PS3

For GTAV the PS4 overcame the Xbox One

and for RDR2? It's certainly going to be interesting.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Somehow, i don't believe they can't get more out of the Pro because we've seen much better open world games with better textures on the normal PS4 and Pro.

Interesting how? It's pretty clear which one the winner is going to be tech wise.

Akronis

Because that was exactly the line of criticism that people have been saying for years. The consoles are built on the back of low power useage CPUs and GPUs from 2011
Which they are

The GPU in the PS4 and XBONE are not mobile chips. The CPUs are.

Jolkien

Interesting how ? The only way the One X would not look a lot better than the PS4 Pro version is if Rockstar doesn't try, and I don't believe that for a second.

KageMaru

It’s spacenut. You either get used to “Xbox one x is a beast” in every thread or you ignore him. He’s harmless enough though.

Yeah at least he's not as bad as TLW. Wonder where he is, looking forward to his meltdown in this thread.

Alright who here has a rig that runs this game as good as the One X? What did your personal PC rig cost you?

Don't bring this shit conversion to this thread please.

That's a penis.

vwCXgj4.png

Lol

Adobe

It was still overpriced considering how bad it was minus Kinect. The fact MS can produce a console ridiculously more powerful only a few years later for a little more money shows that.

with your logic, the same thing can be said for the Pro. priced at 400$, not even a 4K BP included, only a few years later. Technology moves fast.

burgerdog

This image right here, just this shot tells it all. There is a MASSIVE difference!!! I was honestly not expecting this big of a difference. From the cape detail, to the textures all around, to the lighting, the res, it seriously looks like different console generations! Does anyone k ow how to post these side by side, since Photobucket started charging for Image codes im having a difficult time figuring out where to get coding! :(

PS4 Pro
https://flic.kr/p/Yvrivo

Xbox One X
https://flic.kr/p/ZA9ugK

Can't see half of the ps4's shot with all that smoke.

inner-G

Banned
You should be a comedian.
?

You can clearly see the LoD difference between the two, in everything from the geometry to textures and texture filtering.

Unless it's not something far away. Then it looks like a PC med/high graphics switch. Idk it's different than most comparisons we see

Dlacy13g

What I like here is we are seeing devs actually using the extra HP of the XB1X and not just settling for parity. If you build a better box devs will seemingly raise their bar as well.

rmatheso

Originally Posted by rmatheso
Alright who here has a rig that runs this game as good as the One X? What did your personal PC rig cost you?

OK... I will go back in time...

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Can we expect a patch for the Pro with higher resolution textures than the normal PS4 in the future? I have the feeling they didn't even try to make a difference between the 2 PS4's.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Originally Posted by rmatheso

OK... I will go back in time...

You could just drop it.

I personally did not expect 3rd party devs to rise up like this for the One X, and not only with Shadow of War, but just all the support the One X is getting out the gate. I'm shocked im saying this, but I'm actually proud of the progress MS is making with getting everyone on board, first time i can say this in years about MS. Puts a smile on my face :) Mr Spencer deserves a nice pat on the back, from all of us.

Space_nut

Can we expect a patch for the Pro with higher resolution textures than the normal PS4 in the future? I have the feeling they didn't even try to make a difference between the 2 PS4's.

Sure let me just add that extra 4gb of ram in the pro for you lol

Would be great to see more games include that dynamic option for their respective quality modes. If future consoles are backwards compatible and allow for the newer hardware to impact older games (ala 360 BC) it will be nice to have them be able to come closer to hitting a full 4k with all those effects enabled.

rmatheso

I am too, however resolutiongate will still exist with every unpatched game on the Xbox X. Too bad really, hopefully Microsoft can convince many developers to make a patch for the Xbox X. Pushing out an underpowered Xbox One still hurts them unfortunately.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Sure let me just add that extra 4gb of ram in the pro for you lol

Higher resolution doesn’t directly mean 4K textures. No need for that, because a bit higher then it is right now is already better than those low textures.

Top Bottom