• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band Rivals |OT| We're Still Putting The Rock Band Back Together

As long as it's the same gamertag that bought the exports then you'll find them in your Ready To Install as soon as you install Rock Band 4.

Wow, I didn't know that was a thing. I thought none of the disk-based imports worked. I may actually reinvest in RB now. Might wait for a rivals sale, is that adapter still the only way to use RB2 instruments?

FyreWulff

Wow, I didn't know that was a thing. I thought none of the disk-based imports worked. I may actually reinvest in RB now. Might wait for a rivals sale, is that adapter still the only way to use RB2 instruments?

As long as you bought them before they expired, literally all the disc exports work now, except for some weirdness with the Harmonix songs. You also have to go manually get the Bon Jovi songs off the store

and yeah, that adapter is needed for 360 instruments.

As long as you bought them before they expired, literally all the disc exports work now, except for some weirdness with the Harmonix songs. You also have to go manually get the Bon Jovi songs off the store

and yeah, that adapter is needed for 360 instruments.

They were all bought in the 360 days so I think im good. Glad I never traded them in.

FyreWulff

They were all bought in the 360 days so I think im good. Glad I never traded them in.

Don't even need the discs! It's just linked to the account, including the Rock Band 1.. one.

Also, B Sides is goin' Bloodstone. Don't think we're gonna get bumped in the last hour

eVrW7Ef.png

QzjG6mf.png

edit: ITS OVER, WE MADE IT

opoth

Banned
Hey even I made an appearance at the last minute. Now that summer's over I should have more time to contribute

Great job everyone, especially Juke Joint Jezebel - amazing!

XShagrath

I know that HMX doesn't do weekly packs much anymore, and it's usually chalked up to music licensing problems of disparate artists not wanting to be associated with each other. If that's the case, I don't know how Ubisoft and Rocksmith are able to do every week with sometimes extremely different genres involved. For example, a couple weeks ago there was a pack with Bombay Bicycle Club, Escape the Fate, George Strait, and The Flaiming Lips.

I know that HMX doesn't do weekly packs much anymore, and it's usually chalked up to music licensing problems of disparate artists not wanting to be associated with each other. If that's the case, I don't know how Ubisoft and Rocksmith are able to do every week with sometimes extremely different genres involved. For example, a couple weeks ago there was a pack with Bombay Bicycle Club, Escape the Fate, George Strait, and The Flaiming Lips.

Bigger studio, probably more links to major music labels and most of all, more of this compared to the small studio that is HMX...

giphy.gif

pacman85

Also the season pass was definitely worth it for me. I think God Damn is the only song I wouldn’t have bought on its own.
That is the exact same scenario for me. Once we find out which Alice N Chains song will be in the Season Pass that will be the complete offering of it right?

And here's this week's first playthrough scores, impressions and stem confirmations for this week's new DLC track and RB Rewind pick:

"Heat of the Moment" - Asia - [Guitar: Tier 3 | Bass: Tier 3 | Drums: Tier 3 | Vocals: Tier 3]
Expert Guitar: 112,161 | 100% Notes Hit (468/468) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 126,331 | 100% Notes Hit (444/444) Full Combo | Gold Stars

"Eye of the Tiger" - Survivor -
[Guitar: Tier 0 | Bass: Tier 0 | Drums: Tier 0 | Vocals: Tier 2]
Expert Guitar: 142,545 | 100% Notes Hit (800/800) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 98,809 | 100% Notes Hit (554/554) Full Combo | Gold Stars

Stem Confirmations: "Eye of the Tiger" is a safe bet as it's an RB2 export track. Sadly "Heat of the Moment" doesn't have masters, it's a DIY job but not an inherently awful one. Vocals barely take a dip in quality overall but the instruments sadly do when missing notes.

DLC Impressions: "Eye of the Tiger" is a bonafide RB2 classic, and it's a solid pick on guitar, a good song for newcomers to practice alt-strumming on as that's what you'll be doing for the most part on guitar, alt-strumming single notes and galloping a lot, with a few breaks to play chord sustains, it's fairly engaging. Bass is a bit more dull with plodding spaced out single note strums and the occasional sustain every now and then. Classic song though! "Heat of the Moment" is a great all-rounder in my opinion. Guitar comprises mainly of held chord sustains during the verses, a bit of snaking from the top to the bottom of the fretboard during the chorus, an interesting little interval halfway through with brief single note hammer-on flourishes and a fun guitar solo with a few tricky hammer-on snakes that sadly ends too briefly compared to the untouched original which has 15 seconds more solo time than the version RB4 got. Bass is pretty solid with chord sustains and a lot of steady strumming up and down the fretboard from lane to lane with it picking up pace towards the end of the song. Overall, a good track across the board, recommended!

Speaking of which, how many and which songs are left from the RB:VR soundtrack that have yet to come to RB4 as DLC?

Only about 7 left now:

Against the Current – Running with the Wild Things
Band of Horses – Casual Party
Coldplay – Birds
Maroon 5 – Maps
The Starting Line – Quitter
Twin Atlantic – I Am Alive
The Wind and the Wave – Grand Canyon

Only about 7 left now:

Against the Current – Running with the Wild Things
Band of Horses – Casual Party
Coldplay – Birds
Maroon 5 – Maps
The Starting Line – Quitter
Twin Atlantic – I Am Alive
The Wind and the Wave – Grand Canyon

Don't forget the missing rewind tracks too. They're gonna claim a few weeks worth of DLC too:

David Bowie – Suffragette City
Europe – The Final Countdown
Foo Fighters – Everlong
Go-Go’s – We Got the Beat
Jimmy Eat World – The Middle
Joan Jett – Bad Reputation
The Killers – When You Were Young
Pearl Jam – Alive
Ramones – I Wanna Be Sedated
Stone Temple Pilots – Plush
Weezer – Say It Ain’t So

3 from RB, 5 from RB2, 1 from LRB and 2 from RB3.

FyreWulff

Random guess. The 10th Anniversary will have a Rock Band 1 Greatest Hits Rewind Pack, and if i had control:

Rock Band Greatest Hits 01 (targeted at newcomers)

Maps
Green Grass and High Tides (cover)
Gimme Shelter
Flirtin' With Disaster
Suffragette City

Rock Band Greatest Hits 02 (targeted at export owners)

Paranoid (Original Version)
Mississippi Queen (Original Version)
Train Kept A Rollin (Original Version)
Ballroom Blitz (Original Version)

The only question is if a Green Grass re-release would be the cover or a DIY master. We know it didn't have stems. We also no they have a no-cover policy, but Green Grass is iconic in itself to Rock Band, and it'd make sense to keep everyone unified on one version. Plus the cover is spot on, vocally.

ascii42

What would be really lovely is if they re-licensed the stuff that could never be exported. I want to play Enter Sandman again.

Sigh

FyreWulff

What would be really lovely is if they re-licensed the stuff that could never be exported. I want to play Enter Sandman again.

Sigh

I think they're said without saying it directly that the problem is they can't even get to the first step of Metallica licensing to them.

ascii42

I think they're said without saying it directly that the problem is they can't even get to the first step of Metallica licensing to them.
Yeah, I figured. I imagine GH:Metallica made that all particularly complicated. They did manage to get the Metallica pack into RB4, for previous purchasers. That was a pleasant surprise.

vg260

Need more Dio. Last in Line plz.
I hope we get some cool stuff for Halloween week. Ghost's Square Hammer would be cool.

I'm still sad that we never even got that rumoured cover of Supernaut from back in the day, I'd love a master version. Give me The Mob Rules while we're at it.

Well, here's my first playthrough scores, stem confirmations and impressions of this week's Alice in Chains pack:

"Man in the Box" - Alice in Chains - [Guitar: Tier 2| Bass: Tier 1| Drums: Tier 1| Vocals: Tier 0]
Expert Guitar: 164,951 | 100% Notes Hit (632/632) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 140,352 | 100% Notes Hit (715/715) Full Combo | Gold Stars

”Down in a Hole" - Alice in Chains - [Guitar: Tier 2| Bass: Tier 2| Drums: Tier 2| Vocals: Tier 4]
Expert Guitar: 181,713 | 100% Notes Hit (737/737) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 184,675 | 100% Notes Hit (908/908) Full Combo | Gold Stars

”Them Bones" - Alice in Chains - [Guitar: Tier 4| Bass: Tier 3| Drums: Tier 3| Vocals: Tier 3]
Expert Guitar: 144,064 | 100% Notes Hit (477/477) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 145,543 | 100% Notes Hit (717/717) Full Combo | Gold Stars

Stem Confirmations: "Man in the Box" is a clear cut yes on the master tracks and stems front, due to it being an RB2 export originally, no tracks muffling or any hint of track degradation when missing notes at all. "Down in the Hole" is 100% legit as well. "Them Bones" makes it a triple whammy this week so that's all three tracks this week properly mastered. Stem enthusiasts can make a safe purchase!

DLC Impressions:
"Them Bones" is a GH classic and a staple of music games so I'm glad we've finally got it! Guitar chart is pretty fun with the bulk of the song consisting of constant chord changes and three note chord sustains followed by a rad ass solo with a crazy fast hammer-on snake that travels back and forth between green, red and yellow. Bass is pretty good too, consisting of constant steady single note strumming up and down the fretboard that mimics the pacing and tempo of the guitar chart pretty closely. "Down in a Hole" has a really fun guitar chart for a much slower paced song. Lots of nice relaxing single note strumming back and forth across the fretboard with some pretty interesting chord sustains in between. There's this rad as fuck 2 minutes or so guitar solo at the end that starts off fairly simple but adds 3 note hammer-on strings towards the end to spice things up nicely. Bass is pretty simple, but engaging enough with a lot of steady movement up and down with some hammer-on flourishes and 3 note gallops every now and then to break things up. "Man in the Box" is an RB2 classic and a great track although the guitar is fairly mundane for the most part with brief single note and 3 note chord strums and some hammer-on strings in between that move at a fairly pedestrian pace. The solo is pretty cool though, but probably the most difficult of the three with some crazy fast trills (made way, waaaay easier by an RB4 patch that added trill lanes) and some sweeping hammer-on movement that swoops all over the place! The bass is pretty run of the mill with slow lane changes back and forth and it never really spices things up until apart from some steady strumming between each verse. Overall, good balanced pack and if you haven't got the RB2 export for "Man in the Box" then I culd easily recommend the entire pack!

vg260

Stem Confirmations: "Man in the Box" is a clear cut yes on the master tracks and stems front, due to it being an RB2 export originally, no tracks muffling or any hint of track degradation when missing notes at all. "Down in the Hole" is 100% legit as well. "Them Bones" makes it a triple whammy this week so that's all three tracks this week properly mastered. Stem enthusiasts can make a safe purchase!

Nice! Thanks.

MrNelson

Banned
So this is how the pack shakes out as far as stems:

Stupid Girl - Garbage - DIY
Stranglehold - Ted Nugent - Separate
Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice - DIY
God Damn - Avenged Sevenfold - Hybrid (Guitar, drums, vox separate)
Super Freak - Rick James - Separate
Burnin' For You - Blue Oyster Cult - DIY
Heat of the Moment - Asia - DIY
Down in a Hole - Alice in Chains - Separate

So half the pack has DIY stems. At least Burnin' For You and Heat of the Moment sound pretty good for DIY.

We're celebrating Rock Band's 10th anniversary Australian style!

The joke here is that Rock Band isn't even nine years old in Australia, see.

http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/discussion/283171/a-quick-update

Hey everyone, you've probably noticed there's no DLC this week. We were trying something new for this week, and we couldn't get clearance on everything in time, so we had to push back a little bit. We'll be back to our regularly scheduled DLC next week.

Next week we'll also be doing a special livestream where we take a look at the roadmap for Rock Band, including upcoming DLC, Rivals Seasons info, as well as game updates. Thanks!

pacman85

Harmonix said:
We were trying something new for this week, and we couldn't get clearance on everything in time, so we had to push back a little bit. We'll be back to our regularly scheduled DLC next week.
Hmm that's weird....

Nista

I need to get back into this. I have Rivals but I've never actually played it. Guess I need to find a group who needs someone to sing songs for XP, since all our instruments are packed away.

14 people got laid off today at Harmonix, including main community person HMXJosh. Given how he just talked about a roadmap for Rock Band and such, gonna assume this wasn't expected.

Gleethor

14 people got laid off today at Harmonix, including main community person HMXJosh. Given how he just talked about a roadmap for Rock Band and such, gonna assume this wasn't expected.

the fuck

edit: at least he clarified that the roadmap isn't "Rb is over" and that he's excited about what's coming.

Top Bottom