• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Update Ver. 4.0.0 Live! Some video capture, transfer profiles/saves

test_account

XP-39C²
It's also out of my depth, technically speaking. Intuitively I feel like it could just continuously write to storage memory - and yes, dismiss that file if it wasn't saved, because other recording methods on other devices (from capture to actual filming) almost never were limited by the RAM amount.

I do wonder if one of the concerns of that longer recording method, is too many writes on the microSD which could limit its lifespan.

We'll see, but anyway this is already cool.
I dont think its constantly writing and deleting to the internal memory. As you mention, that would limit the lifespand of the memory. I think rather that the video is being put in a buffer in RAM instead.

Needs to be bumped for awesomeness

Weird that this isn't entirely on the system level.

Just because it's system level doesn't mean it's enabled by default. If it can be added via patch, then that means devs have the ability to allow/disallow it (like how Atlus didn't allow recording for Persona 5 on PS4), which means devs have to enable it

Bilollipop

I hope this means we can watch videos that we add onto the SD card eventually. I'd even take something similar to converting videos to watch on the 3DS camera gallery.

Can I transfer my boyfriend's Splatoon 2 data to his Switch? Both his account on my Switch and his account on his Switch are tied to the same Nintendo ID.

I think it'll delete the data on your boyfriend's Switch.

Taken from here :

Once the process is complete, the user information, the associated save data, and the software purchased with the user account that is transferred will no longer be available on the source console.

Finally was able to trade in my Switch for another one (my old one had a hardware issue on the left side where the joycon would connect intermittently rendering handheld mode unusable) since I could now transfer my save.

Was an ordeal because I had to do it at the store but at the very least it's a possibility where it wasn't before.

Bring on those cloud saves...

So here's an interesting "what if" in relating to saves and DLC:

- User 1 has a physical copy of a game, and buys the DLC for it (say, Zelda: Breath of the Wild).
- User 2 plays the same game on the switch, and is able to play with DLC due to User 1 owning the DLC on their account.
- User 1 then TRANSFERS their save data and (more importantly) their purchases to a different Nintendo Switch, which includes the previously mentioned DLC.

What happens to User 2's Save Data? Do they keep all the DLC? Or will they no longer have access to the file? Will the DLC exclusive items simply vanish? I ask this, as this is the exact situation I'm in with my girlfriend. I'm afraid that if I transfer my profile from her Switch to mine, she might lose her Zelda save data due to the DLC being attached to my profile.

AEREC

Why is everyone all excited about save transfers? It's only if you own multiple Switch consoles right...am I missing soemthing? It's not a solution for people with 1 switch and a few hundred hour save game files between Zelda and SDV.

I guess it's a step in the right direction, albeit a very small step.

Forkball

Am I the only one that thinks it looks fine? Yeah it’s not super sharp but it’s not blurry on my iPad Pro :/

Looking at it now, it seems alright. When I first uploaded the videos they were so blurry that I couldn't even read the time in the corner. Maybe my net was going slow.

I'm excited to see what people do with this feature when Odyssey comes out.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So here's an interesting "what if" in relating to saves and DLC:

- User 1 has a physical copy of a game, and buys the DLC for it (say, Zelda: Breath of the Wild).
- User 2 plays the same game on the switch, and is able to play with DLC due to User 1 owning the DLC on their account.
- User 1 then TRANSFERS their save data and (more importantly) their purchases to a different Nintendo Switch, which includes the previously mentioned DLC.

What happens to User 2's Save Data? Do they keep all the DLC? Or will they no longer have access to the file? Will the DLC exclusive items simply vanish? I ask this, as this is the exact situation I'm in with my girlfriend. I'm afraid that if I transfer my profile from her Switch to mine, she might lose her Zelda save data due to the DLC being attached to my profile.

I wager that User 2 would be locked off the DLC as the DLC is tied to player 1 account and the license got transferred over.

BizzyBum

I'm sure it's been mentioned here already and I think this is new with 4.0 but in the system settings all the way on the bottom you'll see an option to turn on "Send Error Information" which says it sends crashes and other error logs to the developers of the game for bug fixes.

I don't remember it being their before the update.

I'm sure it's been mentioned here already and I think this is new with 4.0 but in the system settings all the way on the bottom you'll see an option to turn on "Send Error Information" which says it sends crashes and other error logs to the developers of the game for bug fixes.

I don't remember it being their before the update.

Just checked: You're right, it wasn't there before.

Somewhat similar here as it's an Nvidia feature built into the SOC. Just like Shadowplay on the GTX cards. My 970 records with no noticable decrease in performance.

I thought Shadowplay has like a 5% performance impact? That's not a ton but it's not nothing either, especially in a game like Breath of the Wild that has trouble keeping a stable framerate.

centracore

I don’t understand why Nintendo would add the ability to pre-purchase/pre-load games from the eShop but not enable it for arguably their biggest game of the year in Super Mario Odyssey.

This update convinced me to buy a switch! Such beautiful hardware, and now I'm confident that we will get the software updates we are asking for. Any advice for a new owner, game recommendations (I got BOTW)? OT is closed so I am asking here.

jts

...hate me...
This update convinced me to buy a switch! Such beautiful hardware, and now I'm confident that we will get the software updates we are asking for. Any advice for a new owner, game recommendations (I got BOTW)? OT is closed so I am asking here.
Well done.

Well, BOTW is amazing, and Mario Odyssey is out in a week. That should be a brutal 1-2 punch combo.

Snipperclips or Overcooked for multiplayer.

Golf Story or Stardew Valley for beautiful indie games.

But this is just some curation, there is a huge amount of choice these days. Enjoy!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

i just got my switch. the other games i have bought along with BOTW are Mario Kart 8, Stardew Valley, Kamiko, and 2048.

Can't say anything about MK8 because it hasn't been delivered yet! stardew valley hasn't quite clicked with me yet but it can be seriously addictive. Kamiko is a VERY short game. i beat it in exactly 1hr 30mins. i could always run through it again with a different class but eh...i paid £4.50 for it and i'm happy with it. 2048 is just a small puzzle game i bought because i had some money left over.

BOTW/Mk8/Odyssey are the 3 main games i bought a Switch for. Other games I plan on getting are Arms/Splatoon 2/ Fire Emblem/Doom/Skyrim. Not sure about Pokken yet...i played the demo and it was cool but not sure if it's worth the price.

Enjoy! Mario in week is a no brainer, if you like multiplayer shooters Splatoon 2 is very unique and fun, Golf Story is an excellent exclusive indie game, Stardew Valley is another great indie game if you don't have it, if you didn't have a Wii U Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is fantastic for local multiplayer.

Josh5890

My friend! Welcome to the Switch family. Please add me and any other Gaffers you own a Switch.

7803-9002-9618

Zelda and Mario will be enough to get that single player fix in for a long time. For multiplayer you cannot go wrong with Mario Kart, ARMS, and Splatoon. There are a lot of great indie games to have on the go like Fast RMX, Golf Story, and Stardew Valley.

GokouD

I quite like that the transfer system lets you move just one user over if you want, it means that when Pokemon eventually comes out my wife can move her saves over to the Switch she'll be bound to buy.

Rubikant

Sorry, it was making a weird high pitched almost beeping noise while rumbling. I was playing Volgarr the Viking so I don't know if it was just in that game but it's not something I had heard while playing that game before the update.

So this beeping noise doesn't happen every time, but I was able to reproduce it and finally tracked down the cause to a weird quirk of the SDK causing the controllers to be randomly initialized to super high-frequency vibrations instead of their normal default values. I'm guessing most developers sidestepped the issue, though I did find at least one that also ran into it on the Nintendo developer forums. I will be patching Volgarr to fix this but have also let Nintendo know about the quirk.

Top Bottom