• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Update Ver. 4.0.0 Live! Some video capture, transfer profiles/saves

Only 30 seconds can be captured? My PS4 Pro lets me capture and edit the last 15 minutes, and even that isn't enough some time. :-\

Hey, If you go into the options you can set it to keep the last 30 and even 60 minutes now for recordings. Try giving it a whirl.

Profiles are an about time thing, can we transfer them to PC yet though? Or is this a transfer online/local wireless to another switch sort of dealio?

The Argus

Solid update. Nothing new to consoles, but definitely making the Switch feel more modern. Hope to see big updates every 3-6 months like the other guys.

anddo0

I just updated my Switch and the save data transfer seems kind of limited. It just says that you can "Transfer one user and save data associated with their Nintendo Account to a near by console". So, still no backing up?

Bit useless if your console dies....

Better yet. If you're trading it in for a revision how would that work?

Meikiyou

Tried to record a video on Mario Kart 8 and got an alert saying that video recording is unavailable for this software...

Shaanyboi

Banned
How will save/profile transfer work? I imagine you can just log in to another system without too much fuss, but are saves handled via a cloud solution or SD cards?

Huh, this is a neat feature.

If you have a local wireless group, and someone's game isn't updated, then the update will be locally downloaded from the other Switches.

Huh. That's pretty neat. I guess if me and a friend had switches and their internet is out for whatever reason, I guess you could just drop by and have them update something like ARMS from your Switch and then play together.

Kind of a limited use from what I can imagine, but very nice for those rare moments.

czk51

How does holding the capture button sound clunky to you?

well it depends how its implemented. When I first read it I thought you'd have to hold it for the duration of the 30 seconds (requiring 2 left thumbs) - but surely not right? Maybe just for a second or so. If that's the case, my comment is irrelevant.

Neoxon

Still no ARMS profile pictures. ;_;

Though pre-purchases & pre-loading came in just in time for Super Mario Odyssey, so good on Nintendo for getting that done.

jorgejjvr

"To capture video, hold down the Capture Button during gameplay
Up to maximum of the previous 30 seconds will be saved in the Album. You can trim the beginning and end of each clip, and post to Facebook and Twitter.
As of October 18th, 2017, this feature is compatible with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS, and Splatoon 2"

More details here. So yeah, only 4 games support video capture, but it's a start.
That's great about the video capture. Although being used to 15 minutes on ps4, makes 30 seconds not much

Why would video capture be game dependent? I would think the OS handles that.

It's probably a flag/feature that devs have to enable for their games. Even though it's a system level feature, I'm sure there are times when devs would want it to be disabled and can override that system default. Take Persona 5 for the PS4 and how share features are disabled.

well it depends how its implemented. When I first read it I thought you'd have to hold it for the duration of the 30 seconds (requiring 2 left thumbs) - but surely not right? Maybe just for a second or so. If that's the case, my comment is irrelevant.

I'm pretty sure it's a simple press (save current screen) vs hold for a second (save last 30 seconds)

phanphare

Banned

assuming it's a quick press for a screen shot and a long press for video capture

Mael

So apparently it's your LAST 30 Seconds from hitting the button. Not the 30 seconds after. Huh.

(I've never used video capture on a console, don't hurt me if this is the norm)

Holy shit THIS IS HUGE!
Should have been there at launch though!
So many moments in Zelda to share(or not really)!

KtSlime

Huh. That's pretty neat. I guess if me and a friend had switches and their internet is out for whatever reason, I guess you could just drop by and have them update something like ARMS from your Switch and then play together.

Kind of a limited use from what I can imagine, but very nice for those rare moments.

It’s probably useful to think of it as a way to keep software compatible when playing local multiplayer.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"The news feed has been updated with a new look.
Unfollowing a channel will remove that channel's content from the news feed and following the channel again will make it reappear."

The news icons are much bigger now, being 3 icons in a row instead of 4.

Nothing in the eShop can be pre-loaded yet, but I imagine that'll happen tomorrow when the eShop gets updated.

Hopefully no limit to the number of transfers per account. Would be nice if you were allowed to save longer videos by permanently allocating a portion of your SD card.

Only 30 seconds can be captured? My PS4 Pro lets me capture and edit the last 15 minutes, and even that isn't enough some time. :-\

It's better then nothing and you don't want 5+ minute video files taking up internal memory right now, maybe they will get bigger later on like xbox one videos did.

Good stuff! Finally they brought in save transfer. All I really want is a higher res UI for docked and I'll be happy

Oh and Virtual Console

Top Bottom