• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES vs. Genesis/Mega Drive: Which 16-bit console do you prefer?

Doosi

Banned
Thought about making this thread since I have been enjoying the SNES Classic Mini so much. It's a tough one for me since I love both systems, but I think I would have to give the edge to the SNES because it has a bigger selection of classics. I still enjoyed the Sonic games more than any of the 2D platformers on the SNES, though.

Genesis has more games for my tastes , especially if you don't like turned based rpgs. SNES has less good games overall IMO while the top 10 on each sort of equal out or may give the edge to SNES in that respect though.

Good games - genesis is the ps1 of the early 90s
Top games - snes has the edge for me with fzero, world, Mario kart

But games like shibobi, splattrhouse etc have no equal on snes

Ah so this is the 16-bit “console wars” thread for October? I’ll bite.

SNES, and it’s not even close for me. I think SNES had an vastly superior library and I prefer the 16-bit aesthetic of Nintendo’s console to anything I saw on Genesis. The sound chip in the SNES was also superior.

jaypah

SNES will always have the upperhand because I was a complete Nintendo fanboy as a kid (and I was 11 when it released), plus I just liked more games on the SNES. The NES had me locked in and by the time the SNES came out it might as well have been gospel. But schoolyard shit aside I never hated the Genesis. Sure, I'd talk shit about the colors or sound while I played some games at friend's houses but I never denied that I was having fun. As I got older and revisited the library I found a ton of amazing games on the Genesis. I was surprised by how good their 3rd party games were. We were force-fed so much info about SEGA developed/published games and games that were multiplat that looked/sounded better on SNES that a lot of great 3rd party games that weren't on SNES slipped through the cracks.

Tl;Dr, I had way more fun with the SNES but this post is my apology for discrediting the Genesis as a kid. It was a lot better than I was willing to admit and I can absolutely see why someone would pick it as their favorite.

The SNES has several all-time Nintendo classics that defined videogames plus an incredible collection of RPGs. And yet, I'll always prefer the Megadrive. I had neither of them as a kid but I have explored their libraries extensively over the years. I played (and beat!) both Contra 3 and Hard Corps this week. And... There's just something about Hard Corps, the way it looks and sounds and how merciless the difficulty is, I just prefer it to 3 and both games really perfectly represent their respective systems. Contra 3 is extremely well designed and polished but feels a bit safe. Hard Corps is just bonkers froms start to finish.

Plus, I'm not a huge fan of Mode 7 (sorry!) and I love the Megadrive sound. I blame Yuzo Koshiro.

So yeah, I'm clearly in the Megadrive camp but both systems are legendary.

Indelible

I grew up with both, owned a SNES but went to a friends house to play Genesis regularly. I love both but the SNES fit my tastes more with the large amount of JRPGs and Nintendo's first party games.

Tailzo

Genesis had better games, imo. That’s why it’s a shame the genesis clones sold today are so awful. I’d love a Mega Drive classic with the Phantasy Star games, Shining games, Sonic games, Disney games, Treasure games, Beyond Oasis, Solei and most of Sega developed games :)

alienator

Megadrive , no doubts , and i still play these two systems up until these days. , the snes is just a cheat system with its overclocked NES chip and addon chips on every cart , our megadrive demo OverDrive 2 totally obliterates the snes on every level , graphics, effects, sound and 3d. Until today, the fading active snes community has not found an answer for it, to beat it or match it.

this is a semi satirical joke spam post nevertheless, i love both systems, but only one of these systems has GUNSTAR HEROES , and a way better selection of different shmups , Megadrive for the win!!

Ferr986

Mega Drive for me, it has that arcade feel that I like better than the SNES. I also liked Sega lineup better than Nintendo. Still has the GOAT beat em up with Streets of Rage 2, for example. Sega also made up with some shortcomings of the console, like creating the better Disney games, or RPG classics like PS IV.

Japanese third support probably wasn't as big as with the SNES but when it happened they could do magic...RKA is one of the best 16-bits game and far better than the SNES sequel.

blubb

Neo Member
Genesis has more games for my tastes , especially if you don't like turned based rpgs.
I don't like turn based RPGs and I think the SNES library has more to offer. Europe got significantly less turn based RPGs for the SNES, but we did get action RPGs and those are my favorites. I also don't like sports and racing games, so that might put a huge dent into the Mega Drive library for me.

My vote goes to SNES. My childhood console full of games that shaped my taste in games.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
To me, SNES has the better library, but I prefer how Genesis games look. Love them both.

inner-G

Banned
Super Nintendo.

RPGs, platformers, puzzle games, arcade-style stuff, sports - it has something for everyone and most games hold up great today. That Sony sound chip was magic.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Mega Drive for me, it has that arcade feel that I like better than the SNES. I also liked Sega lineup better than Nintendo. Still has the GOAT beat em up with Streets of Rage 2, for example. Sega also made up with some shortcomings of the console, like creating the better Disney games, or RPG classics like PS IV.

Japanese third support probably wasn't as big as with the SNES but when it happened they could do magic...RKA is one of the best 16-bits game and far better than the SNES sequel.
Touched on every point I was going to make.

unrealist

Genesis simply because..

Sonic > Mario
Phantasy Star > Final Fantasy
Shining Force > Tactics Ogre

and the most important:

Jurassic Park on Genesis is way better than the SNES one.

gelf

Mega Drive for that Sega arcadey goodness. Streets of Rage 2 is my most played game of all time. I was late to a lot of the SNES library though so it doesn't have as much nostalgia going for it.

I had the Mega Drive so always said MD > SNES but really I'd never played on a SNES so I wouldn't have known. Having played both consoles later in life I'd say SNES without a doubt.

jaypah

Megadrive , no doubts , and i still play these two systems up until these days. , the snes is just a cheat system with its overclocked NES chip and addon chips on every cart , our megadrive demo OverDrive 2 totally obliterates the snes on every level , graphics, effects, sound and 3d. Until today, the fading active snes community has not found an answer for it, to beat it or match it.

this is a semi satirical joke spam post nevertheless, i love both systems, but only one of these systems has GUNSTAR HEROES , and a way better selection of different shmups , Megadrive for the win!!

I take back every nice thing I just said about the Genesis. I tried to be an adult but here you go with the bullshit.

nice demo showing mindblowing effects or whatever. pretty good for a genesis I guess :p

SNES for me. Still great that the SNES Classic Mini can emulate Thunder Force IV, Castlevania Bloodlines, Contra Hard Corps and the Sonic series perfectly. Best of both worlds.

It really comes down to this,

Which has the better library? Genesis
Which had blast processing? Genesis
Which had the rock n roll sound chip? Genesis
Which is better, sonic trilogy or floaty Mario? Sonic

To summarise, Sega does what nintendo't

nkarafo

Lets see, what are my favorite 16bit games?

SNES has Super Metroid, Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong Country and TMNT4.

Mega Drive has Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Vectorman and Comix Zone.

SNES wins but it's close.

Galamauth

I tried to think of every genesis equivalent to every well loved snes game. I did have a genesis as a kid and didn't have some of these imports growing up but after having played all of these games without the nostalgia as an adult it's pretty close to me.

Contra 3, Contra Hard Corps
Earthbound, Phantasy Star II/Shadowrun
F-Zero, Out-Run
Secret of Mana, Crusader of Centy
Super CV4, CV Bloodlines
Final Fantasy 2, Shining Force
Final Fantasy 3, Shining Force 2
Yoshi's Island, Rocket Knight Adventures
Final Fight, Streets of Rage
Turtles in Time, Streets of Rage 2
Final Fight 3, Bare Knuckle 3
DKC, Shinobi 2
DKC2, Shinobi 3
DKC3, Shadow Dancer
Star Fox, Panorama Cotton
Mega Man X, Pulse Man
Mega Man X2, Gunstar Heroes
Mega Man X3, Alien Soldier
Super Mario RPG, Landstalker
Kirby Superstar, Ristar
Kirby's Dreamland 3, Dynamite Headdy
Super Mario World, Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star IV
Super Metroid, Monster World III/ Monster World IV
Super Mario Kart, Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyo Toitsusen
Link to The Past, Beyond the Oasis

Not all these games are that similar or even in the same genre but I do love every closest approximate on one console as much as the other. The only glaring weakness to me on the genesis side is racing due to Sega's best racers being in arcades at the time. I'll always slightly prefer genesis of course.

Edit: On second thought I might stack Comix Zone next to F-Zero despite their genre difference. Both banked a lot on their visual style and were pretty difficult games.

Genesis. Multi-platform games were usually superior on it (with exceptions ofc). Prefer most of the exclusives. Like the pad better. Like the aesthetic better. Like that raw sound.

hotcyder

I didn't have either of them growing up but have played their "Greatest Hits" since (SNES Mini, Mega Drive Classics Collection)

SNES for me - I prefer the games.

big_z

As expected those saying sega are those from europe where radiation from the pal standard rotted ones ability to judge quality. The rest of the world will side with the goat console the snes/sfc.

bth.gif

I used to be camp Mega Drive in the 90's. Even though I enjoyed hours and hours on both systems. These days I find both their library's of exclusive games fantastic and I can't really put one over the other.

daninthemix

I think if we're being honest, gaming would look a lot different now if the SNES never existed, whereas the Mega Drive had much less of an impact.

However, I'm very glad both exist, and that both were so distinct from one another.

Zolbrod

As expected those saying sega are those from europe where radiation from the pal standard rotted ones ability to judge quality. The rest of the world will side with the goat console the snes/sfc.

Hah, I was actually going to say that those saying Sega are the Americans brainwashed by Sega's aggressive marketing and buzzwords.

I'm genuinely curious if there's a significant geographical difference here though.

I'm European, and to me the SNES is a million times better; it's not even a contest.

WITHE1982

I never owned a SNES and basically grew up with Sega consoles so it has to be the Mega Drive.

That and the SNES didn't have Blast Processing!!!

I loved the 16-bit console wars. Some of the ads we're amazing.

00ich

Easy: SNES

The first console that delivered what is still the standard for pixel graphic games.

Some technical compromises on the genesis like limited color palettes, rastered transparencies or sound effects generated on the FM-chip aged really poorly to me.

Ferr986

I think if we're being honest, gaming would look a lot different now if the SNES never existed, whereas the Mega Drive had much less of an impact.

How so? the SNES didn't do much that the Mega Drive couldn't in terms of shaping gaming if you ask me.

Btw, I find weird how we are now in the "graphics doesn't matter I'll rather smooth games" while the talking is totally the oposite when talking about SNES and MD, where the SNES had better graphics but the MD had smoother gameplay in a lot of games.

Top Bottom