• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |G2.1| "Whatever The Fuck That Means"

grendelrt

Some Pilot melee improvements have been made locally and are being put through the paces.
Does this include toning down the one hit kill from the front? Having someone run through my bullets and kill me from the front doesn't make much sense. I feel like 1 hit kill should be from behind only.

Gator86

Some Pilot melee improvements have been made locally and are being put through the paces.

That and getting pulled out of the middle of phase shift by a random Hemlok blast and such are probably my biggest day to day irritations with the game.

I think I'll always hate instant kill melee to some extent. I can't get over the internal logic of someone somehow propelling themselves through a hail of high powered assault rifle rounds and punching you in the face, turning your skeleton to sand and instantly rupturing all your internal organs, apparently. Even in a game full of faster than light travel and giant, sentient mechs, it's too much for me to rationalize.

Izuna

Banned
Does this include toning down the one hit kill from the front? Having someone run through my bullets and kill me from the front doesn't make much sense. I feel like 1 hit kill should be from behind only.

Nah I don't agree, I like the melee. It's the sliding melee that feels powerful, but there are so many weapons (every SMG and Shotty) that has super fast TTK anyways.

grendelrt

Nah I don't agree, I like the melee. It's the sliding melee that feels powerful, but there are so many weapons (every SMG and Shotty) that has super fast TTK anyways.
The amount of times someone has run through my SMg spray to kill me is numerous, that could be more to do with latency (game is terrible with shit happening out of order, see dying inside phase shift constantly) than anything, but either way it is a problem. There's a reason front side melee is not a 1 hit kill in lots of fps.

Gator86

This!

The amount of times someone has run through my SMg spray to kill me is numerous, that could be more to do with latency (game is terrible with shit happening out of order, see dying inside phase shift constantly) than anything, but either way it is a problem. There's a reason front side melee is not a 1 hit kill in lots of fps.

tumblr_n71r11dCBQ1smcbm7o1_400.gif

Arrrammis

I think that the one-shot melee works really well in the game. The rest of the game moves so fast, you can slide past, melee a guy and keep going. If you have to punch a guy two or more times to kill, it makes melee extremely useless. You're better off shooting them even at point blank range because it has a lower TTK than melee would. If someone is slowly running towards you and you can't/don't land enough shots to kill them, well...

If you care that much about realism in a game where you can time travel with a small wrist device, phase into a pocket dimension at a whim, and hack things with a knife, then just remember you're in a super powered suit. You can survive drops from a mile in the air, heal from bullet wounds in a matter of seconds, and send a grunt flying 20+ feet when you punch them. Killing someone with that kind of power directly to the face is not surprising.

E92 M3

Gen 9 now and I've finally fallen in love with the Eva-8. Respawn did a great job making so many diverse weapons. 5 days of playtime and I'm still finding new things I love about the game.

Also, their sound design people deserve endless props. This game in surround sound is amazing. I can track Titans from inside buildings on sound alone as a pilot. Every gun has a distinct sound you can recognize from across the map, making it easy to hunt down every Devotion asshole.

It cannot be stated enough how great the general sandbox is. Mostly everything is viable.

Greddleok

I also hate the melee. It's got such a random range. Sometimes I'll fly across the map, others I'll whiff when I'm a couple of inches away.

There are some many dumb times when I'll be swinging away, another pilot will be swinging away at me both just whiffing until one of us either runs away or decides to shoot.

Melee range I believe is determined by player velocity (regardless of your direction of travel relative to your target direction, which is dumb), but it falls off really steep when you are moving slowly (or suddenly decelerated) and makes a bad experience.

Dez_

I also hate the melee. It's got such a random range. Sometimes I'll fly across the map, others I'll whiff when I'm a couple of inches away.

There are some many dumb times when I'll be swinging away, another pilot will be swinging away at me both just whiffing until one of us either runs away or decides to shoot.

Yeah, this happens to me quite a bit. It feels awkward and it's something I never understood with this game. I always chalked it up to the general speed of the game being faster than what I'm used to playing, but I end up whiffing my melee's far more than I'd like to admit.

Melee range I believe is determined by player velocity (regardless of your direction of travel relative to your target direction, which is dumb), but it falls off really steep when you are moving slowly (or suddenly decelerated) and makes a bad experience.

That would make more sense as to why I miss most of the time. I always felt like there was more auto aim lunge when I was sliding or in the air.

Yeah, this happens to me quite a bit. It feels awkward and it's something I never understood with this game. I always chalked it up to the general speed of the game being faster than what I'm used to playing, but I end up whiffing my melee's far more than I'd like to admit.

That would make more sense as to why I miss most of the time. I always felt like there was more auto aim lunge when I was sliding or in the air.

I wouldn't be surprised if the size of the "lock-on" cone was also relative to player velocity. Whatever it is, it feels bad.

If you have to punch a guy two or more times to kill, it makes melee extremely useless. You're better off shooting them even at point blank range because it has a lower TTK than melee would.

Yeah, totally dumb to resort to shooting a guy in a shooter...

I've always hated one-hit melee and was blown away when Black-Ops 3 got rid of it. It's just a frustrating, stupid system that needs to die. Not only does it make no sense (yeah yeah, videogame blah blah blah) but as others have said, people running through bullets to melee you is a thing and it does happen more than it should.

Izuna

Banned
Yeah, totally dumb to resort to shooting a guy in a shooter...

I've always hated one-hit melee and was blown away when Black-Ops 3 got rid of it. It's just a frustrating, stupid system that needs to die. Not only does it make no sense (yeah yeah, videogame blah blah blah) but as others have said, people running through bullets to melee you is a thing and it does happen more than it should.

If it's worth anything, I would really hate for it to be removed...

The low TTK Titanfall 2 already has makes the 1HKO melee not the stupidest thing to die from, inconsistent range / lunge aside.

I'd be more irritated if it were 1HKO only on the backside of a hitbox like the TF2 Spy, because then there would be plenty of moments where a laggy person would get facestabs on you

Whens the patch again?

And whens the next map? (that's not the 2 for the new mode).

Also, respawn, please revert the tweak to Scorch getting a projectile arc when pressing L2.

It takes the skill and enjoyment out of nailing those sweet shots :(

Or just make it some kind of titan perk.

Yup, every-time CrashSite shows up on the rotation, I literally roll my eyes and shake my head :(

And yeah, the nerf to non-sense like Devotion can't come soon enough as now there really does feel like a disconnect between the developers intentions with map design and what's actually happening.
A player (like say, myself) should feel like they can pull from anything in the toolbox (in this case, say the SMG R-97) and be competitive. The reality is that this doesn't happen at all and due to all the long range camping/domination, I feel actively discouraged from using anything else besides the R-201, Devotion, Flatline, etc.
The mid-range-game is on a crazy decline and yeah, I do believe it's counter to what Titanfall excels at.

Crash Site is so bad they didn't even put in a proper match intro for it. And yeah, honestly I think even pilot turrets harm the game.

As for the melee system: yup, it sucks. But hey at least we get cool executions out of it, so there's that I guess.

Play ctf if you hate crash site, pretty sure it's bugged (on xbox at least) and doesn't show up in rotation.

Prove me wrong Respawn! I only play ctf and have honestly, 100% NEVER played ctf on that map! At this point I refuse to believe it's not some bug.

grendelrt

Play ctf if you hate crash site, pretty sure it's bugged (on xbox at least) and doesn't show up in rotation.

Prove me wrong Respawn! I only play ctf and have honestly, 100% NEVER played ctf on that map! At this point I refuse to believe it's not some bug.

Ive played Crash Site on PC for CTF multiple times. I would be happy if Crash Site didnt show up in rotation :O

Donos

Lol, some ppl on Angel City... rocking that Gen8 logo but still staying on a roof or at the tower antenna top at B after killing me. Quick revenge every time after i spawn. Yeah, Hemlock shoots that far you stupid.
You could maybe do that if there would not be a kill cam but that way?

After saving up credits, i did the next pilot regen (2>3) and to my suprise there was a lot of / most of my stuff already unlocked, like low profile (lvl 47 unlock). Wasn't that way the first regen. How come?

Ive played Crash Site on PC for CTF multiple times. I would be happy if Crash Site didnt show up in rotation :O

I need to check how much time I've dumped into this game. 90% of my matches are ctf and I'd guess that I play 5-7 hours a week (and since launch). The other 10% is hardpoint, and i have played crash site in that mode... just not ctf, which makes no sense since it's my primary mode.

So yeah, I'd be shocked if this wasn't some xbox bug or something at this point.

grendelrt

I need to check how much time I've dumped into this game. 90% of my matches are ctf and I'd guess that I play 5-7 hours a week (and since launch). The other 10% is hardpoint, and i have played crash site in that mode... just not ctf, which makes no sense since it's my primary mode.

So yeah, I'd be shocked if this wasn't some xbox bug or something at this point.

Dont worry you aren't missing much. Hauling ass with stim on, carrying the flag, only to get stuck on stage geometry and shot is not a good a feeling.

Dont worry you aren't missing much. Hauling ass with stim on, carrying the flag, only to get stuck on stage geometry and shot is not a good a feeling.

Oh, I believe you. And maybe I'm not the only Xbox user to notice this, the others are just keeping quiet to avoid having Respawn fix it, haha.

Gator86

I would still love a quick explanation from Respawn at some point as to how Ion/Legion isn't completely broken in every way. There's literally nothing Legion can do against a competent Ion. If the playerbase wasn't so generally terrible, they would have had to tweak this a while ago.

https://i.redd.it/uq1cfffcm5hy.gif

Arrrammis

I would still love a quick explanation from Respawn at some point as to how Ion/Legion isn't completely broken in every way. There's literally nothing Legion can do against a competent Ion. If the playerbase wasn't so generally terrible, they would have had to tweak this a while ago.

https://i.redd.it/uq1cfffcm5hy.gif

1. The Ion user in the clip was using the splash damage glitch, which is being fixed in the incoming patch.

2. God forbid the titan with the highest sustained damage in the game and a rechargeable, moving shield has a hard counter. It's the same story with Northstar/Scorch, no matter how on fire the ground is, Northstar can just hover while she does enough damage to get flight core, then just keep flying above any damage Scorch could do.

Gator86

1. The Ion user in the clip was using the splash damage glitch, which is being fixed in the incoming patch.

2. God forbid the titan with the highest sustained damage in the game and a rechargeable, moving shield has a hard counter. It's the same story with Northstar/Scorch, no matter how on fire the ground is, Northstar can just hover while she does enough damage to get flight core, then just keep flying above any damage Scorch could do.

1) Yeah, they were glitching but the end would have been the same if the Ion was competent, just slightly slower.

2) Personally, I hate the idea of hard counters. I also don't agree that Northstar/Scorch is even close. A flying Northstar is just a pinata and doesn't have nearly enough DPS to punish a Scorch. The Scorch can still just peg the Northstar in the face with its primary and block the slow firing railgun until she lands.

It's fine if they want to go the hard counter route with the titan balance, but none of the other matchups really feel as tilted as that one.

Edit: I actually don't even care that much. I've just been playing too goddamn much Titanfall recently. Need that patch. Respawn pls.

I've already uninstalled the game but will keep an eye on changes and such.

My thoughts

Tone: Changes are insignificant. She continues to not have a weakness

Long range? Tracking rocket spam

Mid range? Tracking rocket spam

Close range? Tracking rocket spam

So nerf Sonar Pulse because? That partial lock can be easily obtained by splash damage. Hell, the partial lock was a side benefit of knowing pilot locations which I feel were some people's issue because then a Tone would likely kill you inside the building you were hiding in. But how would they kill you? Splash damage, which was left unchanged.

Northstar: I feel the problem is the low damage output plus the low accuracy, or low damage output caused by the low accuracy. I don't think the changes will result in much of a difference.

Scorch: Babby ADS mode. We need to continue holding people's hand

Dash recharge rate increase for Ronin and Northstar: Should be changed across all Titans. They all feel like a slog

Devotion: Doubt this will make a difference.

No changes to A-wall, Hemlok, and G2 are laughable at this point. I feel Respawn inches towards nerfs on popular weapons/titans instead of ripping the band aid off. The current "meta" continues unchanged.

A-wall: Needs to swap with Hard Cover in, like, all aspects. Its needs a health pool and moved to a boost.

Hemlok: 4 shot kill and bring back the Star Burst mod

G2: Needs to be less accurate when spamming at long ranges

Theres a reason why there aren't more Double Take, Kraber, and DMRs running around because the Devotion, Hemlok, G2 occupy and dominate that space.

Disappointed as heck. As heck!

Calderc

Man. This game.

You turn up to a bar with your new girlfriend to meet all your friends. She's a 15/10 and you're all smug as your friends are jealous and pining after her. She's beautiful, smart, witty, everything anyone could possibly ask for.

Then she gets up on the table and shits herself. Rubs it allll over. You're friends are like 'Whoa, she was perfect right up until that moment, but now you gone fucked it up.'

That's this game.

Gator86

I've already uninstalled the game but will keep an eye on changes and such.

My thoughts

Tone: Changes are insignificant. She continues to not have a weakness

Long range? Tracking rocket spam

Mid range? Tracking rocket spam

Close range? Tracking rocket spam

So nerf Sonar Pulse because? That partial lock can be easily obtained by splash damage. Hell, the partial lock was a side benefit of knowing pilot locations which I feel were some people's issue because then a Tone would likely kill you inside the building you were hiding in. But how would they kill you? Splash damage, which was left unchanged.

Northstar: I feel the problem is the low damage output plus the low accuracy, or low damage output caused by the low accuracy. I don't think the changes will result in much of a difference.

Scorch: Babby ADS mode. We need to continue holding people's hand

Dash recharge rate increase for Ronin and Northstar: Should be changed across all Titans. They all feel like a slog

Devotion: Doubt this will make a difference.

No changes to A-wall, Hemlok, and G2 are laughable at this point. I feel Respawn inches towards nerfs on popular weapons/titans instead of ripping the band aid off. The current "meta" continues unchanged.

A-wall: Needs to swap with Hard Cover in, like, all aspects. Its needs a health pool and moved to a boost.

Hemlok: 4 shot kill and bring back the Star Burst mod

G2: Needs to be less accurate when spamming at long ranges

Theres a reason why there aren't more Double Take, Kraber, and DMRs running around because the Devotion, Hemlok, G2 occupy and dominate that space.

Disappointed as heck. As heck!

Agreed with most of this, especially the bolded. Respawn seems reluctant to course correct on stuff unless it's truly game-breaking, like original map hack and cloak. I expect the devotion nerf to be barely noticeable. Respawn clearly thinks Tone is entirely balanced in Titan combat because her adjustments, outside of salvo core, are all focused on reducing her low-effort pilot annihilation.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the patch notes, but considering how infrequently patches and support come along for this game, we're stuck with this for a long while.

Not gonna lie, whenever I feel like trying to be a sniper in this game(which isn't often) I don't actually use a sniper rifle, I use cloak/Hemlok+HCOG Ranger. Still gets 1 shot kills in at a lot of ranges and it's not necessarily panic time if I miss.

Discobird

Hemlok nerfs incoming

Jayfresh said:
Hey all, due to feedback we are going to get in a balance pass for the Hemlock that we're working to have in for the Live Fire Update. Once it's in we'll add to Patch Notes.

• Overall damage adjusted so you can't one shot burst to the body and get a kill.
  • Reduced damage from range for non-Amped and Amped versions.

We are also looking at A-Wall but any changes for that will most likely need to be done with the next patch. We'll be watching feedback on both of these.

Gator86

Not gonna lie, whenever I feel like trying to be a sniper in this game(which isn't often) I don't actually use a sniper rifle, I use cloak/Hemlok+HCOG Ranger. Still gets 1 shot kills in at a lot of ranges and it's not necessarily panic time if I miss.

Basically. I consider the Hemlok/G2 to be the snipers in this game. The actual snipers in this game are just for showing off really. I literally can't recall the last time I got killed by a sniper rifle in TF2 which I'm fine with honestly. Getting sniped is lame as fuck, especially in a fast paced, mobile game like this. The cat and mouse gameplay doesn't work so well if the mouse is camping in a bush just inside the map boundary while cloaked.

Arrrammis

Basically. I consider the Hemlok/G2 to be the snipers in this game. The actual snipers in this game are just for showing off really. I literally can't recall the last time I got killed by a sniper rifle in TF2 which I'm fine with honestly. Getting sniped is lame as fuck, especially in a fast paced, mobile game like this. The cat and mouse gameplay doesn't work so well if the mouse is camping in a bush just inside the map boundary while cloaked.

I use the Kraber to counter Devotion A-wallers, since it can shoot through A-walls to kill them. Otherwise, yeah G2 is better at sniping than the snipers are. And I also agree that the game should be more about the fast movement and closer range weapons. I get that people want every playstyle to be viable, but the playstyle of sitting in the back with a sniper rifle
(Devotion)
in a game with this kind of speed shouldn't be viable.

Weapon may as well been deleted

It's a hard weapon to balance. One shot kill makes it too good, needing at least a 2nd shot with its ROF makes it seem useless now. If you don't headshot a decent phase shift pilot then they're getting away as soon as they see red.

They may have to consider speeding the ROF in the future or they might as well delete it I guess. But yeah, as soon as that update happens I'm dropping the Hemlok from my weapon rotation lol.

Top Bottom