• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both are from pretty minor first party franchises in terms of sales and mass appeal. Admittedly one has been in more games.

Also the characters you've highlighted are all from franchises that were originally xbox exclusive but have since become multiplatform.

If you ignore the pc... and

36755-Dead_or_Alive_[U]-1.jpg

My reasoning for her being picked is because the game kinda lit up the internet prior to it's release. It was all about Fat Princess back then.

Either that or this game is gonna have an insanely big selection.

I'm pretty sure she was picked to bring variety to the game.

Anyways, really want to see Kiryu Kazuma from the Yakuza games in this along with Paul or Heihachi from Tekken! :D

Petrichor

Where I came from, Twisted Metal was pretty big in the psx days.

I owned a PS1 and PS2 and had honestly never heard of twisted metal until the new version was announced two E3's back. Maybe it was bigger in the states, but I don't think it ever penetrated europe to any large extent.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I owned a PS1 and PS2 and had honestly never heard of twisted metal until the new version was announced two E3's. Maybe it was bigger in the states, but I don't think it ever penetrated europe to any large extent.

The TM series has never really been particularly popular in Europe (or anywhere outside the US, really), even if the official PS mag did its best to hype the series to Heaven and back during the PS1 days.

oh i dunno about your country but in Finland we played Twisted Metal 2 and Tekken 3 all the time :D

Tekken 3 = brofist.

But fuck Gon, that old-ass doctor and Eddy :mad:

I owned a PS1 and PS2 and had honestly never heard of twisted metal until the new version was announced two E3's back. Maybe it was bigger in the states, but I don't think it ever penetrated europe to any large extent.

oh i dunno about your country but in Finland we played Twisted Metal 2 and Tekken 3 all the time :D

-viper-

Banned
The TM series has never really been particularly popular in Europe (or anywhere outside the US, really), even if the official PS mag did its best to hype the series to Heaven and back during the PS1 days.

Tekken 3 = brofist.

But fuck Gon, that old-ass doctor and Eddy :mad:

Jin Kazuma or Kazuya would be good characters in this game. Tekken 3 was a big PS1 game.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Jin Kazuma or Kazuya would be good characters in this game. Tekken 3 was a big PS1 game.

All the Tekken games were big PS games, but I actually think Heihachi is the most iconic and recognizable character from the series.

You're right but I would prefer Jin, since Heihachi was already in the SC game and Jin can transform into Devil Jin

Touchè. Jin it is then!

SSReborn

All the Tekken games were big PS games, but I actually think Heihachi is the most iconic and recognizable character from the series.

Although that may be true I think Jin or Kazuya would be more flexible from a gameplay standpoint due to devil forms. The best option from Tekken however is Yoshimistu plus he not only represents Tekken but Soul Calibur as well.

cevansdust

Neo Member
SO pumped for this game!

Off topic but I would kill to have an Xbox version of smash. Masterchief, Marcus, fable hero, girl and robot from the original xbox demo, Blinx, and so on. Too bad it'll never happen.

But back on topic, the fact that this game is going to be tied to a system that has a healthy online community alone makes this a day one purchase.

cevansdust

Neo Member
I also want some Resident Evil characters in my Sony Smash. So many third party games defined the PS for me. There better be some Jet Motto levels.

Tiamant

a stage where you're standing on the big flying colossi (which snakes up and down) while any of these songs happens:

would be amazing. and it could crash on the ground and go for a desert blend with another game.

Uncharted 3 plane sequence being interrupted by the flying colossi and ending on the ground with those journey red carpets flying everywhere.

Best. Desert. Level.

Both are from pretty minor first party franchises in terms of sales and mass appeal. Admittedly one has been in more games.

My friend who barely plays video games and don't know too many characters was excited for exactly two characters when he heard about this game: Sweet Tooth and Ratchet & Clank. (Okay technically that's three.) But yeah, Twisted Metal is a lot more well known than people think.

SO pumped for this game!

Off topic but I would kill to have an Xbox version of smash. Masterchief, Marcus, fable hero, girl and robot from the original xbox demo, Blinx, and so on. Too bad it'll never happen.

But back on topic, the fact that this game is going to be tied to a system that has a healthy online community alone makes this a day one purchase.

just do it with all the KI characters and have random guests. That should fill the roster.

SmithnCo

I want a Twisted Metal Vs. Wipeout Vs. Gran Turismo level.

Twisted Metal vs. Gran Turismo
Motorstorm vs. Wipeout

I think those would work well because they're all pretty different and would make for funny mashups. Gran Turismo starts like a normal race then Twisted Metal comes in and starts wreaking havok, same with Motorstorm and Wipeout.

def sim

Problem is nintendo also has right for KI game... so yeah.

No they don't. They have rights to older Killer Instinct games, such as development process and technologies* IIRC, but not to the IP itself.

Basically, MS cannot re-release older KI games on XBLA but can make new KI games or use the property in anything they want if the need arises.

*I may be confusing this with another Rare related IP and MS might actually be able to bring KI to XBLA

No they don't. They have rights to older Killer Instinct games, such a development process and technologies* IIRC, but not to the IP itself.

Basically, MS cannot re-release older KI games on XBLA but can make new KI games or use the property in anything they want if the need arises.

*I may be confusing this with another Rare related IP and MS might actually be able to bring KI to XBLA

They were able to put Banjo N64 games on XBLA by shamelessly rubbing out the Nintendo logos, so who knows.

Not really.

She is not a popular PS character and is from a new IP that not even big,there are tons of other Sony female characters (from the PSX days to this day) who deserve and should be here first instead of her, it was clearly they just pick here just because she is a fucking "princess" wearing pink (aka they want someone like Peach).

im seriously hardpressed to think of a popular recognizable female playstation character from the last 15+ years......maybe Lara Croft?

so having Fat Princess helps flesh out the female side of the game roster

LBP / Buzz stage is brilliant.

Here's hoping for a stage built on a clash between Wipeout and Mod Nation Racers.

I think that stage is genius. There will be players fighting for the right answer/platform. That makes it a bigger threat the environmental obstacles in the other stages.

def sim

Twisted Metal vs. Gran Turismo
Motorstorm vs. Wipeout

I think those would work well because they're all pretty different and would make for funny mashups. Gran Turismo starts like a normal race then Twisted Metal comes in and starts wreaking havok, same with Motorstorm and Wipeout.

It'd be cool if they went with the Vita Wipeout intro where it starts out with older to modern cars (Gran Turismo) and has a gradual change of tech until we reach the world of Wipeout. A cool little time lapse level would be just great.

They were able to put Banjo N64 games on XBLA by shamelessly rubbing out the Nintendo logos, so who knows.

Huh

Right, that's a thing they did. Now I'm confused as to what I was thinking of originally.

SO pumped for this game!

It could happen, but not now. Xbox doesn't have a big enough history yet, its still pretty young.

The NES came out in 1983
16 years later in 1999 the first Smash Bros came out.

The PlayStation came out in 1994
18 years in 2012 the first Battle Royale will come out

The Xbox came out in 2001. Give it time.

This is such a silly position to take.

Characters like Fat Princess and Sweet Tooth are there because they make the game a crazy mish-mash of different designs, not because they're the most popular characters in the world begging to be in the game.

When playing Smash Bros, it's fun to learn an obscure character you may not have heard of before. This is true for the vast majority of that game, the fun comes from the diversity of characters.

You just seem to want the opposite opinion of everyone, fat princess an average psn game does not really deserve a spot and sweet tooth seems allot less warranted than other characters I can think of.

You just seem to want the opposite opinion of everyone, fat princess an average psn game does not really deserve a spot and sweet tooth seems allot less warranted than other characters I can think of.
Fat Princess is not an average PSN game at all, and Sweet Tooth is popular and the lead character of the longest running PlayStation franchise - that makes him arguably more deserving of a spot on the roster than anyone else.

I think one genuine advantage Battle Royale has over Super Smash Bros. is that Sony can pluck just one character or duo from different first/second party franchises and still be able to reach that allotted 24-number roster. Nintendo relies on multiple characters from a single franchise, like say Mario, Princess Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Wario and Luigi all featuring in Brawl, but there's no need for padding like that in a Sony game, so a greater variety in cast is a huge plus I think.

Having said that, I'd love to see Sully make it as a playable character.

prwxv3

I think one genuine advantage Battle Royale has over Super Smash Bros. is that Sony can pluck just one character or duo from different first/second party franchises and still be able to reach that allotted 24-number roster. Nintendo relies on multiple characters from a single franchise, like say Mario, Princess Peach, Yoshi, Bowser, Wario and Luigi all featuring in Brawl, but there's no need for padding like that in a Sony game, so a greater variety in cast is a huge plus I think.

and many of those characters are slightly different clones. It seems though that Superbot want every character to feel and play differently. If the entire cast in the final game plays and feels different like the six characters are already like I will be fucking impressed.

and many of those characters are slightly different clones. It seems though that Superbot want every character to feel and play differently. If the entire cast in the final game plays and feels different like the six characters are already like I will be fucking impressed.

I would love that. Having each character having a unique playstyle and strategy would be the way to go.

cyborg009

Banned
It'd be cool if they went with the Vita Wipeout intro where it starts out with older to modern cars (Gran Turismo) and has a gradual change of tech until we reach the world of Wipeout. A cool little time lapse level would be just great.

Gran Turismo , Wipeout then Motorstorm

libregkd

I could understand your problems with Fat Princess, but with Sweet Tooth? Really? The dude is an icon and from Sony's longest running franchise, it'd be stupid to not include him.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think Sweet Tooth should be in the game. I just don't think he should be a playable character. Let him be like Buzz and put him in the background of a Twisted Metal stage.

Not only that, but in Melee there was Mario and Dr. Mario.

But it's fine for Nintendo since so much of their fan base comes from a select number of franchises. But for PlayStation the there's a much wider variety of fans so they have to do one character per franchise and try and get as many franchises in as possible.

Let's get into the specifics for a moment. Say there was a cast of 24 characters all from first/second party franchises - who could you have?

Here's my best attempt; it's just an example but anyone can feel free to switch in and out characters they want and don't want...

Sweet Tooth
Parappa The Rapper
Radec
Fat Princess
Sly Cooper
Kratos
Robbit (Jumping Flash)
Nariko
Nathan Drake
Cole MacGrath
Sackboy
Kat (Gravity Daze)
Sir Daniel Fortesque
Jak & Daxter
Ratchet & Clank
Spike (Ape Escape)
Wander
ICO
Rose (Legend of Dragoon)
Gabe Logan
Tomba
Toro And Kuro
Chimera (Resistance)
Vibri (Vib Ribbon)

I think they're all different enough that they could each have their own different nuances and approaches to battle. There's no clones to be had there.

emb

I just heard a mention in a video that stock mode is definitely planned. I'm sure everyone here already knows that, but it makes me wonder why they showed time mode. And why time mode is always the default in Smash Bros.

Does any one actually like time mode? From the N64 game, to serious Melee matches, to Brawl ffas, I've never once wanted to play a time match once I learned that there were stock matches. Is there a big following for this mode? Do you think this game's style of kills is better suited to that or not?

KingK

I think Sweet Tooth should be in the game. I just don't think he should be a playable character. Let him be like Buzz and put him in the background of a Twisted Metal stage.

Wat? I've never played a Twisted Metal game in my life, but I know who Sweet Tooth is. Even a lot of people who don't know his name recognize the sadistic clown. He's not as huge as Kratos, but he's still pretty iconic.

I just heard a mention in a video that stock mode is definitely planned. I'm sure everyone here already knows that, but it makes me wonder why they showed time mode. And why time mode is always the default in Smash Bros.

Does any one actually like time mode? From the N64 game, to serious Melee matches, to Brawl ffas, I've never once wanted to play a time match once I learned that there were stock matches. Is there a big following for this mode? Do you think this game's style of kills is better suited to that or not?
Yeah, it seems curious to me as well. Nobody I know really likes Time mode in Smash over Stock. We usually start a match, realize we forgot to switch it to Stock, and then quit to go change it. Don't know why Stock isn't just the default.

Drencrom

He's the main figure from the longest running series on Playstation with over six games, I don't see how he isn't qualified.

I just hope they reconsider the super meter and implement an alternate mode with hit points. It sounds like it's pretty solid in terms of the engine and stuff they just need to add content.. I just really, really hope they reconsider because I personally think the current system will prevent it from gaining mainstream appeal outside the Sony faithful. I'll get it either way I think, I just wish there was a health bar or something similar to help balance things out more.

This x100,000,000

I am going to be really disappointed if they dont give us a variety of gameplay options. It's just not a party/fighting game if they kill the tension of actually fighting. Every move should feel like something important, not a race for supers that could be incredibly unbalanced.

They need to not be lazy and create move damage modifiers for all characters and implement it as a main mode, because the concept they have now is not enough, and it leaves me very skeptical.

I also wonder if 6 players would be too much, 4 players sounds too small and they should take advantage of really making it a party brawl.

But they NEED options and need to build the game around central mechanics like health, damage, weapons, and that super meter they have

Endo Punk

Some already have mentioned this and after thinking about it I agree, this game should only take 1 character from every game. That way more chance of niche characters getting in and easier to improve on with a sequel where they can use multiple characters from a series. That's only if this game proves itself in the gameplay and fun department and is a critical success.

I could see timed modes being more accessible in that you can always come back and fight when you die. And it makes a lot of sense for a press event, you want to give these guys as much hands on time as you can and not waste any of it with them spectating because they ran out of lives.

Though timed matches prevent a lot of play styles people like, glad to know stock will be in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom