• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix)

Gvaz

Banned
Doubt they will. If they did it would be them acknowledging it's a bad port and thanks to this guy people are now willing to buy the game and may have to pay him for fixing their game. That's why their not saying anything about this mod and why their not taking any actions against it either since it's helping sales.

They're

Gvaz

Banned
Are you using native res with SMAA? If you're downscaling that would explain why it fails to detect aliased edges.

Yes, that's why the smallest possible interval is 15 minutes. Sadly, I don't think it's possible to create something that will prevent save loss due to file corruption while not offering any possibility of abuse. And if people really want to cheat there are far more direct methods to accomplish that.
I wish it was ten minutes :(

Shiden

Banned
Seems like my FPS display request was pretty silly considering all the programs out there that can display a FPS counter. Well I have an even better request Durante! Possible to add an option to select which monitor the game displays on? For example, my main monitor is 16:10 native where as my TV which is a bit smaller is native 16:9, but I don't want all apps and my desktop main to display on my TV..so...monitor override? :D

Great work btw, if I had a job would totally donate to ya. It's the thought that counts!

Huge thank you to Durante for making the game enjoyable on the PC. Before I found this thread, I was so upset I was just going to buy a used copy for 360 or something.

I get paid next week so expect a donation.

Also

cRHaL.jpg

i74Edh.png

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Can anyone direct me to a post or some resource about getting a Dualshock 3 to work with my PC?

Ha! I knew that chest was too amazing to be real.

well let's be honest. if you put 2 uber warriors to defend your castle and this super strong knight beats them up, wouldn't you want that knight to be part of your crew?

and what better way to entice such a strong warrior than with a big ol pair of nice tittays that no man or woman can resist?

Ciastek3214

well let's be honest. if you put 2 uber warriors to defend your castle and this super strong knight beats them up, wouldn't you want that knight to be part of your crew?

and what better way to entice such a strong warrior than with a big ol pair of nice tittays that no man or woman can resist?

They're real if I can touch them, oh wait, I CAN'T.

r0man

Neo Member
Has anyone had any success making Dark Souls' sound work well with VIA soundcards? I have a built in one in my motherboard and I'm certainly not dropping $100 to play one lazily ported game with proper sound. I followed the instructions for a Realtek card and I simply do not hear any sound from a test file that isn't front right and front left.

My soundcard is a VIA VT1708S, if that helps.

jemiola

This fix is great, thanks Durante!

The game looks much better now, but still lags as hell, especially on particle effects or when loading new areas. But now it seems I have found at least partial remedy to this problem. In other words: I got rid of this stuttering, but at the expense of vertical synchronization.

Previously I could run the game in 1080p with mentioned problems, anything higher and I were stuck with 15FPS (GPU was utilized in 30%), but after this trick the game runs much better even in 2560x1440 on ATI4750 (60% GPU usage)! The stuttering is almost gone.

What did I do? Simply chose refresh rate other than 60Hz! I can choose 59Hz in-game only for 1920x1080 resolution (I have 1920x1200 monitor), but it may not work for everyone. Another way is to force 50Hz or other supported value (you can check those in Catalyst Contol Center, Desktop properties) using RadeonPro. Doing so somehow forces the game to disengage VSync and magically stops stuttering. No idea if this works for Nvidia.

TheExodu5

Banned
That really shows off how SSAO makes a big improvement to the walls in that picture. But I think it makes the area around the fire worse since it darkens an area that should be lighter.

Not 100% sure if it's darker by virtue of SSAO, or if the fire flickers light/dark. I'll have to check it out when I next boot up the game.

Small price to pay if it is indeed SSAO.

The Hermit

I officially can't get AO working in a resolution higher than 1680X1050 with a decent FPS... This is fucking depressing.

If I turn it off, the sky is the limit though both in resolution and FPS

dino1980

I have a little problem with SSAO. The problem is that if I turn the camera fast or in some instances up or down the SSAO is gonna, only to reappear if I turn the camera back. Do anyone here know why this is happening and if there is a solution?

My settings

1080p
DOF 1080
4xMLAA
SSAO Fallout profile

I have a little problem with SSAO. The problem is that if I turn the camera fast or in some instances up or down the SSAO is gonna, only to reappear if I turn the camera back. Do anyone here know why this is happening and if there is a solution?

My settings

1080p
DOF 1080
4xMLAA
SSAO Fallout profile

Someone said the Fallout profile is fucked, use the Skyrim one.

Durante

Could have something to do with the motion blur, I'm not sure how NV implements the driver-level AO.

Carm

So after deciding to hold off on this because of the lazy port, I broke down this morning and got it for 30. I knew I shouldn't have kept up with this thread and the OT heh. Question about the mod. The texture filtering override 1, what does it do? Is this just AF? I see 2 is labeled AF. Does this have to be enabled for the internal res to work or this is just to make it less blurry in the distance like AF does? If this is enabled, do I need to tweak anything in my control panel?

Also, using Nvidia hardware, on the 301.24 beta driver, I noticed lines on the intro logos. It only happens on those and not on the game title screen or in game, as far as I can tell. Is this normal or maybe I should just grab the latest driver?

Durante

So after deciding to hold off on this because of the lazy port, I broke down this morning and got it for 30. I knew I shouldn't have kept up with this thread and the OT heh. Question about the mod. The texture filtering override 1, what does it do? Is this just AF? I see 2 is labeled AF. Does this have to be enabled for the internal res to work or this is just to make it less blurry in the distance like AF does? If this is enabled, do I need to tweak anything in my control panel?
The best option for now is to keep it at 0 and force 16xAF in the driver. THe driver does a better job at it.

Also, using Nvidia hardware, on the 301.24 beta driver, I noticed lines on the intro logos. It only happens on those and not on the game title screen or in game, as far as I can tell. Is this normal or maybe I should just grab the latest driver? Example below
This is normal. It's related to how the logo images are stored in their textures. To wit:
logosxzem4.png

Carm

The best option for now is to keep it at 0 and force 16xAF in the driver. THe driver does a better job at it.

This is normal. It's related to how the logo images are stored in their textures. To wit:

Thanks :), I don't need inspector to force it right, just do it in the control panel?

Edit: Is there any drawbacks to using D3Doverrider, or does it even work for that matter?

The Hermit

I officially can't get AO working in a resolution higher than 1680X1050 with a decent FPS... This is fucking depressing.

If I turn it off, the sky is the limit though both in resolution and FPS

Fucking finally!!!

I had a beta driver and changed to a proper one (301.42) and I can finally play with SSAO and decent framerate.

Now to beat that fucking Capra Demon... any clues, btw?

My settings

1080p
DOF 1080
4xMLAA
SSAO Fallout profile
I had this issue with both Fallout 3 and Skyrim methods as long as DOF was at 1080. With DOF at 810 it doesnt flicker off with the camera (i do notice it flicker off when some menus come up or when I touch a bloodstain though, dont know if it does that at 1080). General flickering/shimmering seems better with the Skyrim one.

I havent looked recently, but is the sun appearing and dissapearing still happening?

Ledsen

Fucking finally!!!

I had a beta driver and changed to a proper one (301.42) and I can finally play with SSAO and decent framerate.

Now to beat that fucking Capra Demon... any clues, btw?

kill the dogs as quickly as possible, after that it's very easy to avoid him by using the stairs intelligently

Also, using Nvidia hardware, on the 301.24 beta driver, I noticed lines on the intro logos. It only happens on those and not on the game title screen or in game, as far as I can tell. Is this normal or maybe I should just grab the latest driver? Example below

I get the lines too, probably normal

EasyMode

logosxzem4.png

I wonder why they did it that way. Wouldn't it be easier to keep the logo whole and simply center it? Oh well, it's not like I have to look at them any more since the intro skip works perfectly :)

Does anyone else's FRAPS no longer capture screen shots with version 075 fix?

I have the overlay turned off to avoid the whole mirror image graphical glitch and with version 05 fix, even though the overlay is hidden, I can still F11 screenshots fine but with identical DSfix.ini settings, for some reason fraps no longer works with version 075.

I may revert back unless there is something I'm missing here? Sucks that I'll have to deal with the intro screens.

Midou

I built a new computer recently with a Nvidia GTX 670, and Intel i5 3570K, I installed the latest video drivers and Direct X, but when I use any version of DSFix, It crashes the second I run it. Is there anything I could have forgotten to install on a fresh build?

chris100185

Neo Member
I've tried to get the audio working properly on both my Asus Xonar and onboard Realtek. I can set each one up in the settings so the sound tests work as they should, but when I actually get in game I still can't hear the mosquitos or the other missing ambient sounds.

Durante

dump011__oldrendertar5vjmo.png

Now, that may not look as nice as most other screens in this thread, but I'm finally getting somewhere in understanding how the game does its rendering. (It only took dumping every single buffer at every single step during one frame, filling about 5GB of HDD space)

BloodyBonzai

Neo Member

Now, that may not look as nice as most other screens in this thread, but I'm finally getting somewhere in understanding how the game does its rendering. (It only took dumping every single buffer at every single step during one frame, filling about 5GB of HDD space)

Nice, Dark Souls on acid.

catabarez

What would this help you with? (Honest question.)

Durante

What would this help you with? (Honest question.)
Well, I finally tracked rendertarget usage through their pipeline. What you see up there is the first render of the scene DS does during a frame. The red channel has depth, and the blue and green channel have some kind of surface information.

But really, the main point is that I finally managed to track what the game is doing in a somewhat reliable way. This is the first step to doing any kind of processing that requires such understanding, such as disabling parts of that pipeline (eg. HUD), or adding some additional processing such as FXAA on top of the composed image, but before the HUD is rendered.

Well, I finally tracked rendertarget usage through their pipeline. What you see up there is the first render of the scene DS does during a frame. The red channel has depth, and the blue and green channel have some kind of surface information.

But really, the main point is that I finally managed to track what the game is doing in a somewhat reliable way. This is the first step to doing any kind of processing that requires such understanding, such as disabling parts of that pipeline (eg. HUD), or adding some additional processing such as FXAA on top of the composed image, but before the HUD is rendered.

If I might recommend something. If you plan on adding fxaa before HUD-render, please use SMAA. It is just the best Post-process aa money can buy. It does not seem to add the temporal aliasing that FXAA has and does not smudge the image.

Just my humble suggestion!

Awesome that you are figuring out how the game's renderer works internally

goodfella

You've really gone all in. I look forward to following your progress. And thank you.

Something you did between 0.3 and 0.7 made this playable on my laptop :) Thanks

The laptop fans are blowing now so its no longer in low power mode.

Radeon HD5850

Top Bottom