• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is WoW worth getting into still?

mxgt

Banned
It stopped being worth it when they removed 40-man instances.

I wouldn't go that far, 25 is fine. 40 was often a pain with people dropping out and was just annoying to manage.

For me the game stopped being worth it when you could do basically anything in the game by standing in a capital city and clicking a menu to access content. boring.jpg

Thoraxes

Absolutely OP.

In terms of content, WoW offers so much for literally any kind of playstyle, there are tons and ton of interesting zones with unique art and themes, storylines spreading across many continents/worlds, a shitload of achievements for literally doing almost anything in the game, a great dungeon system, a fun questing experience (since the Cataclysm revamp) and honestly you can't go wrong with it.

Even if you just bought the vanilla version of the game and played it till you hit the cap for that, there's so much content to see and do that you'll be hard pressed not to find something to do.

Also, some of it depends on how fast of a leveler in an MMO you are from actual leveling to professions to playing the auction house like a stock market. Your best bet is to try for yourself, but since you're asking for opinions, i'd say even getting into it now is just as good, and there isn't a huge barrier to entrance like their used to be for a lot of the game's content (you can totally choose your playstyle and roll with it).

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I contacted them, time to just wait I guess.

I want to experience "getting stronger" so I dont think I will be too excited about the free level 80, but I do have a few questions.

1. If I get a free version of Cata, do I/should I buy WotLK (I assume I should/need to buy the battlechest?)
2. Is there anything "pre" level 80 to the expansions or is it all post game?
With Cat you'd have it all. The content progression went Vanilla(1-60)-->Burning Crusade(60-70)-->Wrath Of The Lick King(70-80)-->Cataclysm(80-85) and you can't skip any. Mists of Pandaria(85-90) comes out later this year. Currently in Beta.

I'm pretty sure there's a free upgrade to Burning Crusade these days no matter what. So if you can't get the free upgrade to Cataclysm after getting un-banned you'd have to buy WOTLK and Cataclysm at each level cap brick wall.

You should be able to get the account un-banned. If not you'd be looking at Vanilla/BC and a free month for 20$. Then Wotlk-->Cataclysm.

zinder

I started playing it again myself 2 months ago (Only got to level 79 last time before I quit)

It's really fun. A lot more fun than I remember it to be. I am now level 85 (with a new character) and totally hooked with the stuff you are able to do at max level. So much fun.

As long as you have someone to play with, do it.

sazzy

I'd suggest playing with someone from GAF if you're brand new to MMO's or have just forgotten basic tips/tricks of navigating WoW.

I'm on Bloodhoof (alliance) if you want to do that.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Ah yeah, I had forgotten about that, I'll strike it from my post.

Why do Justin Beiber videos get millions of views?
Why does Transformers gross billions of dollars?
Why does Angry Birds outsell everything else?

Because lots of people have terrible taste.

Just because lots of people like something doesn't make it good.
Those examples are diluted with competition that has gotten close or more successful. And it's not hard because you're looking at a 1 dollar game, 1-2 dollar songs, 8 dollar movie.

WoW is the only 15$ subscription MMO that has reached and kept those numbers. Guild Wars, LOTRO, etc. can't even reach the numbers without a sub. That says a lot about the game and it's competition. All these people aren't paying for complete shit. The polish in the game is astounding and beats the problems.

V_Arnold

If you know what you are getting into? Yes.
If you have friends that might make running dungeons and raids fun for you? Absolutely.
If you have some patience when almost any pug group falls apart at the first sign of trouble? Yep.
If you like tanking? I still recommend it.

Otherwise, it really depends on what you want to get out of this. Millions and millions still play it daily. They do PVP. Raid every week. Do not-so-interesting stuff with random groups...
Or you can get obsessed over pet collection, mount hunting, soloing old instances (which will ALWAYS be fun, imho, especially when things start to get quite hard in BC endgame : )

If I wanna play WoW do I need to join a clan or can I solo around myself?

You can pretty much solo anything, and if you know what you are doing, you will attract the people that have similar interest as you towards you or they will attract you into a guild sooner or later. No worries, soloing is the way to do it, until lv~81-85. (With pugging instances here and there, of course. Depends on whether you like the current quest area or not.)

KKRT00

I was always wondering, what are You guys doing in WoW for years?
Game dont have community based end game like eve or lineage 2 for example, but only pve based on dungeons and raids, right?
So for 3-4 years You just level new chars and do the same raids for items over and over again? :>

Vano

Give it a try for a month or two imo to see if it is fun for you. Try and look what would you enjoy the most, do some BGs and see if you like PvP, try the Raid finder and do some raids, joining a guild i recommend you the most, as in my opinion WoW isn't fun to play alone or like a single player.

Dicer

Banned
I was always wondering, what are You guys doing in WoW for few years?
Game dont have community based end game like eve or lineage 2 for example, but only pve based on dungeons and raids, right?
So for 3-4 years You just level new chars and do the same raids for items over and over again? :>

I played vanilla and stopped missed BC (Wish i hadn't as I love the areas/story/etc) and came back for WTOLK and been playing since, there is always something to do...

Go run old content (awesome since transmog came into play)
Play new characters/specs you haven't in the past
Do the world events/achivev whoreing (only game I even care about doing this in for some reason)

The world is big and vast and revamped, always something to do if you look around.

V_Arnold

Excuse me, but to every WoW expansions, raids were introduced linearly, over a period of time. Also, an ever-expanding PVP content, a LOT of reputation-based and other achievement-tied stuff (mounts, pets) and the total difference between each classes playstyle makes sure that once you are hooked, you are in for a LONG time. I get bored of WoW first after like....4-5 years.

Thoraxes

Achievement whoring, love my characters, the patches and content updates, work slowly through playstyles with different classes, each class has multiple playstyles, PvP changes and grows, sometime my friends come and play or we all sub in packs, I have a raiding group i've been with for years, like the people I play with, etc.

I mean, I always put my real life first, and i've definitely always stopped playing when I need to (like I haven't played since August), but it's the people I know and new content that keeps me coming back. The patches, usually with significant content to them (including raiding), is good for me too.

Also achievement whoring.

I am an achievement whore for WoW.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Speaking about raids only:

There's new raids and dungeons every expansion and major content patch. The 60, 70, and 80 raids are obsolete. Some 85 raids are obsolete.

There were three armor tiers this expansion, 2 are basically obsolete. People spend like 4-6 months doing the newest raid each expansion. They progress from normal to heroic difficulty. By the way, you can only kill the bosses once a week.

As far as the old raids go, people go back and solo a lot of stuff to get items they never got a chance to get in the past.

injurai

Banned
I would say no, but if you have never played they have this free level 80 thing or something going on. Might as well give it a try. However I would highly recommend getting into Guild Wars 2 or Diablo 3 instead.

I've done little starts and stops of picking up the game over the last two years, but the biggest problem is this:

WoW as a game is better than ever. The players kind of suck now though because nearly everyone is an expert except for you.

Most people are flabbergasted that you don't have the game completely memorized yet, know all the tricks, and you actually want to see things like cinemas, read quest text, etc. Some people are really friendly and helpful about it, but sometimes they try to help you toward a power-leveling route, when you just want to enjoy the game for the first time.

KKRT00

Excuse me, but to every WoW expansions, raids were introduced linearly, over a period of time. Also, an ever-expanding PVP content, a LOT of reputation-based and other achievement-tied stuff (mounts, pets) and the total difference between each classes playstyle makes sure that once you are hooked, you are in for a LONG time. I get bored of WoW first after like....4-5 years.

And how is it different from every other mmo?
How many raids/dungeons are there? And from what i remember expansion packs introduce like 4-5 new raids, right?
4-5 raids for a whole year is not much end game content for my taste.

Tantalus

Neo Member
I just started playing last week (L20 Frost Mage, Boulderfist) and it's been a lot of fun so far. As someone who didn't know anything about the game coming in this late it was surprisingly easy to get into, but I've heard awful stories about how the community can react to new players.

I would say it's definitely worth it if you have friend(s) playing. I've been having a lot of fun doing dungeons with a friend of mine while he's been showing me how to play.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I wish I could get in into WoW again but it's way to much of a guided experience now, no fun at all, they may as well just teleport you directly to your quest objective now, there is no need to read the quest objectives any more or get into the lore of the game, just grab quest, look at big circle on map, fly to objective, look for red writing, slay enemy, return to quest giver, it's pathetically easy now, and far to easy to level up, it felt much more of a grind to level up a character in vanilla wow, I use to loved getting stuck on quests back in the day, having to look through wow guides, hunting down objectives etc, it's what made it so fun, especially playing with friends, nothing is really scary now.

Khezu

I wish I could get in into WoW again but it's way to much of a guided experience now, no fun at all, they may as well just teleport you directly to your quest objective now, there is no need to read the quest objectives any more or get into the lore of the game, just grab quest, look at big circle on map, fly to objective, look for read writing, slay enemy, return to quest giver, it's pathetically easy now, and far to easy to level up, it felt much more of a grind to level up a character in vanilla wow, I use to loved getting stuck on quests back in the day, having to look through wow guides, hunting down objectives etc, it's what made it so fun, especially playing with friends, nothing is really scary now.

I'm surprised no one has made like a reverse quest helper, that just removes all of the UI stuff that helps you. Not sure if that is possible though.

I wonder if blizzard would ever consider making a few "heroic" servers, where all the mobs in the overworld are elites, so you have to group for everything, along with it being its own realm so there would be no cross battlegrounds or dungeons. I'm sure there would be an audience for that.

TheYanger

Ah yeah, I had forgotten about that, I'll strike it from my post.

Why do Justin Beiber videos get millions of views?
Why does Transformers gross billions of dollars?
Why does Angry Birds outsell everything else?

Because lots of people have terrible taste.

Just because lots of people like something doesn't make it good.

Y'know, I'm looking forward to GW2 as much as the next guy (I've had it prepurchased since the moment we could), but your posts in this thread seem extremely juvenile and petty tbh. You mentioned your opinion in the first post, everything since has been pretty dickish.

WoW is probably more friendly to newbies now than it ever was. Just download the trial, you can play 1-20 for free, try some classes, try some starter zones, see if anything clicks with you. if so, sub for a month or two and play through it, if not, then just forget about it. Seems simple enough.

How many raids/dungeons are there? And from what i remember expansion packs introduce like 4-5 new raids, right?
4-5 raids for a whole years is not much end game content for my taste.
They also add dungeons through patches as well. New factions pop up with new raids and dungeons. So rep farming begins again. They release new pvp gear when the season starts. Then they're the heroic raids and dungeons.

Robin64

The new Cataclysm 1 to 60 experience is just sublime now. Most zones were completely altered after the cataclysm itself, the flow is just so slick. The Forsaken trail in particular (Tirisfal -> Silverpine -> Hillsbrad) is an absolute joy to play.

PatzCU

WoW is absolutely still worth starting up. The only reason I recently canceled my sub was because the cyclic nature of PVP buffs/nerfs finally became stale... after 6 years. I've been playing WoW since launch and only recently got bored with it.

For a new player, there is never a better time to try it out. Also, many of the social elements that made this game hyper-addictive at max level have been ironed out so I wouldn't be afraid of destroying your life over WoW.

Was actually thinking the Forums more than anything.

The forums are actually way, way better than they used to be. At least in my experience. It's actually kind of disappointing. I got addicted to forum trolling more than playing the game in vanilla.

It's still a great game.

1-60 is smooth sailing now, the flow is amazing.

Those revamped zones are secretly the best thing about that expansion. They're better than the 80+ zones as their lore and pacing doesn't blow ass!

Easily if you never got endgame and number crunching and PVP imbalances. It still is(was) my favorite game but I took it too seriously.

It's a fantastic game and you have a couple friends to play with it's easily one of the best multiplayer games out there, just turn off general chat.

Well, easier if you don't, I'll say. Both on ones wallet and long-term enjoyment.

Also, many of the social elements that made this game hyper-addictive at max level have been ironed out so I wouldn't be afraid of destroying your life over WoW.

Just don't expect to find many people willing to talk to you, and fewer still to befriend you. This is now a game you bring friends into, not find within.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Cataclysm is going to last about 1.5 years and it's going to average.. about 9 raid bosses per 6 month period.

We are currently on month 4 of the last 8 bosses.

I'm surprised no one has made like a reverse quest helper, that just removes all of the UI stuff that helps you. Not sure if that is possible though.

I wonder if blizzard would ever consider making a few "heroic" servers, where all the mobs in the overworld are elites, so you have to group for everything, along with it being its own realm so there would be no cross battlegrounds or dungeons. I'm sure there would be an audience for that.
Custom ruleset servers is something they should have implemented YEARS ago.

I mainly do raids and pvp. I have friends who play, and doing arena and BGs with them is a lot of fun. It's not that fun without friends. It's a great co-op game. I also don't usually sub for years on end, I don't get that mentality. I sub for 3-4 months at a time and then move on.

I could never play it solo. I did for a few months in vanilla, and I didn't like it that much.

V_Arnold

If you need to ask how it is different from every other MMO, you clearly do not know the level of quality,variety and (optional) difficulty WoW has in its gameplay.

If you have a few friends that plan on playing it, then go play with them. My favorite part of MMOs is playing with friends and WoW is still good for that.

I still got scrolls of resurrection. You get a free boost to level 80 and all the expansions. Just send me a PM with your email address and I'll give you one.

aktham

I've had the year sub for a while but stopped playing 2 months into it lol I need to get motivated to get a Deathwing kill. It's probably not going to happen. I'm too busy with Tales of Graces F followed by Xenoblade Chronicles.

I'd say skip WoW and play D3 since there's no sub fee.

medze

The expansion (Mists) that comes out later this year looks great and actually might pull me back into WoW for a few months. Live servers are definitely NOT worth subscribing to right now unless you're content with being bored after a couple hours. I'd wait for the expansion which looks to reinvent the game in some ways (the new talents and glyphs give much more variety and choice than you see on live),

Of course, D3 is where most people are headed and the community is gonna be huge. Whereas the WoW community is dwindling and full of angsty preteens.

KKRT00

If you need to ask how it is different from every other MMO, you clearly do not know the level of quality,variety and (optional) difficulty WoW has in its gameplay.

Thats why i'm asking?
Still would like to know the number of raids and dungeons.

I can easily tell You why i've played Lineage 2 for 1.5 year and EVE for 3.5, and why RIFT only for a month.

Thats why i'm asking?

I can easily tell You why i've played Lineage 2 for 1.5 year and EVE for 3.5, and why RIFT only for a month.

The kind of enjoyment you get is different. Raiding is like a team hobby that you do with your friends and guild, working together to get better. It's purely cooperative in a way that Eve or Lineage aren't, and can be really satisfying if you like that kinda thing. There is enough individual skill and effort (research into your class, optimization, add ons, etc.) involved in raiding that there is a real feeling of individual contribution, and there is enough team coordination and strategy (voice chat, class composition, adjusting strategy, adjusting on the fly) that there is a real feeling of teamwork.

It won't appeal to everyone.

As for the number of raids, the current content is 8 bosses, replicated across hardmodes with additional mechanics. People also do the previous tier on a regular basis because of the legendary weapon, which is 7 bosses. Some guilds do the tier before that, which is 11 bosses split into 3 different raids, for the guild achievement, and the transmog gear. People still do raids from Wrath and BC and Vanilla as well, for the achievements and cosmetic gear and various rare drops, but those are usually done with fewer people. Stuff from BC and Vanilla is often soloed, though it can be really difficult (e.g. soloing Kael'Thas). Number of 5 man dungeons, something like 14 heroics in Cataclysm.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Thats why i'm asking?

I told you raid numbers a few posts up.

Dungeon numbers: 9 dungeons at release, 2 new ones 4 months later, 3 new ones (that are 4 months old) 7 months later.

But those numbers aren't going to give you a good indication of what you'll be doing weekly.

The best way for the OP to play would be to get free Starter Pack and fool around till lvl 20.

I think it is good to at least played one MMO for some point, but you need to love grindfest gameplay to stay at it.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Free trial is there for a reason, start playing and see if you like it. The leveling from 1-60 is completely overhauled.

sl4yor

Neo Member
I was trying to think of a way to get a scroll of rez since I no longer have a means of contacting my old guildmates, never thought of asking any gaffers. If anyone has a scroll of rez theyd be willing to send my account, pm me and I'll send you my bnet email.

Top Bottom