• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift and Touch Thread: I need something more

It may have a slight grindy collectathon to it, and the characters aren't very inspired, but there's some really fun platforming mechanics late in the game and I find the whole thing to be mechanically sound. It's also full a cute VR related touches, like how the characters (especially Lucky) react to you when you look close up, or how you can bump your head into some. There's a really awesome set of levels where your HMD acts as a miners hat with a light on it, and you use your view to light Lucky's path. Another section has you aim your head to toss bombs, and it feels great.

Shit like that.

Considering how most just dismiss this as a mediocre wannabe, I'd say that it's definitely underrated - especially after having finished it.

It's a 6.5-7.0 out of 10. Solid.

Ahh, ok. I should push through and see where it goes. It felt solid when I played it, but it seemed pretty basic. I will jump back in!

hi guys, I don't like doing this stuff but I felt like I should since we're not getting any exposure, but me and a few friends just released our first game. It's in early access right now and called 'Super Island God VR'. It's basically an arcade style god game. It's fairly simple right now and we plan on adding more over the next couple months (polish and bug fixes, more content, sandbox mode). If you like the god-game genre at all I encourage you to take a look, it's on Oculus (and Steam) now and should be on sale. We launched it there with a new holiday update that added two new levels and some decoration and other fixes.

that being said I would like to give away two copies. the first two interested that quote me (you can delete the text if you wish) I will send codes to for the Oculus store.

If any of you play it and have any suggestions or run into any bugs feel free to PM me and I will do my best to see what we can do. hope this wasn't against the rules! thanks for reading.

I watched a video on youtube, this game looks really neat. haha.

Tak3n

Banned
After I got over the initial holy shit this is crazy I'm going to vomit movement system of Ripcoil it became the greatest game I've played in VR yet. Played nearly two hours straight in it today.

My thighs hurt, lots of clenching of leg muscles in this game.

My fav to....problems are during the day the queue to find an opponent are a pain.... and I wish it had a proper ai mode, as now I am good at it it can be frustrating when you get paired with new players....not their fault, as I was them once but it is so one sided the match.... I want a ai mode to really make me play better...

Oh and the amount of people who don't realise their mic is live....had a guy on who was having a right proper ding dong with his wife

After all the other good games I've tried during the Touch launch, I just decided to give VR Sports Challenge a go, and boy did that turn into a horribly disappointing travesty. Not only doesn't the game bother to explain basic concepts (such as how to count score) to someone who doesn't understand these sports to begin with, but you can easily end up outside of the area the game expects you to stand in without having it warn you in the slightest, and every action I took felt incredibly imprecise. Ball throws would end up in very different directions from where I actually threw them, and trying to score in the hockey game would often have the puck go straight through my bat (or whatever that thing is called. I'm no sports fan, okay?) for no reason. After a series of lost points (which I still don't know how the game counts. The other team has scored 7 points? Well I sure as hell didn't let through 7 shots, so I have no idea what's going on here) that were 50% due to my own lack of skill and 50% due to random, glitchy shit from the game itself, I turned the game off in disgust without even bothering to finish the match.

Add in the game throwing fireworks in my face while I'm trying to keep track of the hockey puck, or suddenly shifting my view to another player while doing a basketball pass and expecting me to know where I am and what I'm looking at in a split second, and I fail to understand what the developers were thinking with this.

Incredibly disappointing.

chris121580

My fav to....problems are during the day the queue to find an opponent are a pain.... and I wish it had a proper ai mode, as now I am good at it it can be frustrating when you get paired with new players....not their fault, as I was them once but it is so one sided the match.... I want a ai mode to really make me play better...

Oh and the amount of people who don't realise their mic is live....had a guy on who was having a right proper ding dong with his wife
True story. I'd also like to be able to see how many wins and losses I have. Game is the best. I play it everyday

bounchfx

I watched a video on youtube, this game looks really neat. haha.

thank you :) still one copy left if you or anyone wants it!

I'm really glad I didn't buy their other Serious Sam VR game that's also in early access now. This one looks way better.

wait.. this is a different game from the Serious Sam on the oculus store right now? that's damn confusing. but I love me some Serious Sam... played the hell out of it when i was younger. I gotta pick one of these up!

haloxk9

Neo Member
thank you :) still one copy left if you or anyone wants it!

wait.. this is a different game from the Serious Sam on the oculus store right now? that's damn confusing. but I love me some Serious Sam... played the hell out of it when i was younger. I gotta pick one of these up!

I'll take it if no one has yet!

Edit: So close...

Hit 407 on the leader boards in Space Pirate Trainer. Each game is quick but man it's hard to get past wave 16 or so. Goin' for top 100, amazing arcadey wave shooter.

Hit 407 on the leader boards in Space Pirate Trainer. Each game is quick but man it's hard to get past wave 16 or so. Goin' for top 100, amazing arcadey wave shooter.

I got like 417 on my second run ever. No big deal, Im just the best of all time. heh.
Ive done terrible since then. :(

hi guys, I don't like doing this stuff but I felt like I should since we're not getting any exposure, but me and a few friends just released our first game. It's in early access right now and called 'Super Island God VR'. It's basically an arcade style god game. It's fairly simple right now and we plan on adding more over the next couple months (polish and bug fixes, more content, sandbox mode). If you like the god-game genre at all I encourage you to take a look, it's on Oculus (and Steam) now and should be on sale. We launched it there with a new holiday update that added two new levels and some decoration and other fixes.

that being said I would like to give away two copies. the first two interested that quote me (you can delete the text if you wish) I will send codes to for the Oculus store.

If any of you play it and have any suggestions or run into any bugs feel free to PM me and I will do my best to see what we can do. hope this wasn't against the rules! thanks for reading.

Looks really fun! I will definatly have to try this in the holidays!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Body still aches after what amounted to approx 9 hours worth of "VR aerobics" over the weekend (ripcoil).

When is the first VR Cyber Gym experience coming out?

jon_dojah

Banned
After all the other good games I've tried during the Touch launch, I just decided to give VR Sports Challenge a go, and boy did that turn into a horribly disappointing travesty. Not only doesn't the game bother to explain basic concepts (such as how to count score) to someone who doesn't understand these sports to begin with, but you can easily end up outside of the area the game expects you to stand in without having it warn you in the slightest, and every action I took felt incredibly imprecise. Ball throws would end up in very different directions from where I actually threw them, and trying to score in the hockey game would often have the puck go straight through my bat (or whatever that thing is called. I'm no sports fan, okay?) for no reason. After a series of lost points (which I still don't know how the game counts. The other team has scored 7 points? Well I sure as hell didn't let through 7 shots, so I have no idea what's going on here) that were 50% due to my own lack of skill and 50% due to random, glitchy shit from the game itself, I turned the game off in disgust without even bothering to finish the match.

Add in the game throwing fireworks in my face while I'm trying to keep track of the hockey puck, or suddenly shifting my view to another player while doing a basketball pass and expecting me to know where I am and what I'm looking at in a split second, and I fail to understand what the developers were thinking with this.

Incredibly disappointing.

Dont give up yet. 3-point contest and the homerun derby in the minigame menu is really good. You have to unlock them as well as the hockey fist fight one. Im not a sports guy either but I put alot of time into those minigames. I pretty much ignore the main menu games now but I give football a go every now and then. VR Sports is my most played Touch title and its the first thing I show people when they come over.

ps: You only need one Touch controller for 3 point contest and homerun derby. You can kindof hold the touch like a baseball bat if your hands arent too big.

hymanator

Not sure if anyone else mentioned this, but Oculus is giving a $5 credit if you make any purchase on the Gear VR Oculus store (didn't see the promo being offered on the pc store). The credit will work with the Oculus PC store as well as the mobile one, since they share the same account. I ended up buying a 99 cent rollercoaster and the credit instantly showed up in my account.

datamage

Not sure if anyone else mentioned this, but Oculus is giving a $5 credit if you make any purchase on the Gear VR Oculus store (didn't see the promo being offered on the pc store). The credit will work with the Oculus PC store as well as the mobile one, since they share the same account. I ended up buying a 99 cent rollercoaster and the credit instantly showed up in my account.

Do you have a GearVR? Just curious if it's only works for people that have one registered..

datamage

Hmmm...I may have to check this one out soon. I wonder if we'll see a price drop in the pending Steam winter sale?

It's probably a safe bet. I'd say it's worth it at full price, but the sale is right around the corner.

Curious, are you guys purchasing content from Steam over Oculus if said content is available on both? I'm conflicted on this, while I prefer the convenience of having it on Oculus, and the guarantee that it'll use the Oculus runtime, I don't like the idea that the content might go away if I don't stay in the Oculus ecosystem. (For Gen2, etc.)

vermadas

Curious, are you guys purchasing content from Steam over Oculus if said content is available on both? I'm conflicted on this, while I prefer the convenience of having it on Oculus, and the guarantee that it'll use the Oculus run-time, I don't like the idea that the content might go away if I don't stay in the Oculus ecosystem. (For Gen2, etc.)

I am still buying from Steam when given the option; I like having my game library as centralized as possible. And yeah, it's more futureproof to buy from the store that is more hardware agnostic. Unfortunately, SteamVR, despite the disparity in featureset that it inherits from the Steam storefront, definitely feels clunky compared to Oculus Home.

Ideally, I could buy games from Steam and launch them within Oculus Home, similar to how Steam lets you add non-Steam game shortcuts. There is a project that made this possible but it hasn't seen any updates in quite some time. It lets you replace an app in your Oculus Home library with a different one.

As for the runtime issue, yes, that is quite annoying. It seems to be a big problem with UE4 games for some reason. I wish there was a global setting you could choose to have it prefer the Oculus runtime if it's an option. Unfortunately, the only workaround for it that I know of is to uninstall SteamVR. But then for games that are OpenVR only, you'd have to reinstall it...

Tak3n

Banned
Oh if only ripcoil got leagues....would be in ripcoil heaven....love the game but matchmaking seems random at best...beat a guy 60-1 tonight over 6 matches. :(

HyGogg

Banned
hmm I see, thanks. I have a tough decision to make! Vive has the superior tracking system and is a better fit with glasses, yet the Rift has a lot of exclusives and from what everyone says better controllers.

Ugh, unless the Rift feels really horrible while wearing glasses I'm still leaning towards that since I like the look of those Oculus Touch exclusives.

To weigh in on this, I'd say unless you plan to have a play space that is more than 11x11, I the tracking is going to be more or less equal. Even with two sensors, if you mount them in corners like the Vive, the coverage is totally fine, There are also a couple companies that make alternate facial interfaces that can better accommodate glasses.

They're both great pieces of hardware, so I don't have a real bias, but I chose Rift on the strengths of its software library and controllers, so I have to support that inclination.

Enordash

I wish I could take a screenshot inside Thumper because this may mark the one and only time I'm ever topping a leaderboard, lol.

It's really incredible in VR though. I really loved it on a normal screen, but this is a whole new experience. I finally understand why people said the bosses look menacing. It's such an engrossing and oppressive experience. It was enough to get me to double dip and just buy it again on Home.

Oh if only ripcoil got leagues....would be in ripcoil heaven....love the game but matchmaking seems random at best...beat a guy 60-1 tonight over 6 matches. :(

Ripcoil has been a strange experience for me online. I feel like I'm winning every game 10-0, then when I finally get matched with someone better than me it's the exact opposite score. Not a lot of middle ground which makes me think the slightest amount of skill difference creates a huge gap in match results...which is not a good thing when there is no system for ranked matchmaking.

The problem is that there aren't enough people playing the game to have ranked. Maybe Ripcoil 2?

Enk

makes good threads.
I wish I could take a screenshot inside Thumper because this may mark the one and only time I'm ever topping a leaderboard, lol.

It's really incredible in VR though. I really loved it on a normal screen, but this is a whole new experience. I finally understand why people said the bosses look menacing. It's such an engrossing and oppressive experience. It was enough to get me to double dip and just buy it again on Home.

Yeah, Thumper is an incredibly rad experience in VR. This is my first time playing it as I was holding off until the PC VR support. I was so entranced by the experience that I played through the first three levels straight (levels two and three were looooong). I played it standing up with the Touch controllers, drumming my hands to the sounds of the beats.

Love how wickedly sinister the vibe of that game gives, especially during the boss battles. Very distinct from other rhythm games I've played. I highly recommend this as a VR game, and judging by the length of the first three levels, plus the replaying for score and new game+ this is going to be a beefy game game which VR is lacking right now.

vermadas

Oculus is having a Winter Sale. Starting today through Jan 3.

Daily deals (Dec 20):
The Climb - 50% off - $24.99 USD
EVE: Valkyrie - 50% off - $29.99 USD

Unless those two titles revert to a non-discount tomorrow, thus indicating that discounted titles won't show up as dailies, you will want to handle this like the old Steam sales. Wait for the titles you want to show up on a daily, buy everything else on the last day of the sale.

Daily deals (Dec 20):

Unless those two titles revert to a non-discount tomorrow, thus indicating that discounted titles won't show up as dailies, you will want to handle this like the old Steam sales. Wait for the titles you want to show up on a daily, buy everything else on the last day of the sale.

Nice, what are the big stand out ones to grab from the big list?

Double D

I bought a Vive on Black Friday for myself for xmas but haven't opened it yet. Is this better than the vive now that it has the touch controllers?

JambiBum

FYI, I priced out the games in the $90 launch bundle compared to their current sale prices and the bundle is still 2 dollars cheaper even with the climb being 50% off.

Daily deals (Dec 20):

I'm hoping Edge of Nowhere goes on sale.

Bookoo

I bought a Vive on Black Friday for myself for xmas but haven't opened it yet. Is this better than the vive now that it has the touch controllers?

I think the rift itself is more polished and has better industrial design, but they are both good headsets.

Bookoo

The way it's worded sounds like some games will get a deeper discount on some days like the old days of Steam. I wanted to get AS, but now I am going to wait.

Top Bottom