• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG | News and Updates 2017 - Back to the basics

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
STAR WARS day starting early with some fantastic packs.

mclem

I've just had a Galaxy alpha invite drop into my inbox. Looks genuine at a cursory glance, but I'll take a closer look later. Not quite sure *why* I got one (although I do have a *large* GoG collection, that might be a factor), but hey. Others might want to check theirs.

cptodin

I've just had a Galaxy alpha invite drop into my inbox. Looks genuine at a cursory glance, but I'll take a closer look later. Not quite sure *why* I got one (although I do have a *large* GoG collection, that might be a factor), but hey. Others might want to check theirs.

I got one as well. Seems legit. Used the code on the site, then read in the forums that Linux will be supported at a later date…

Also this should be relevant:

3) Please, please, please refrain from posting screenshots, reviews or first impressions, both on our forums or elsewhere, as this is not the final product and many changes will still be made.

More here!

ricki42

I got one as well. Seems legit. Used the code on the site, then read in the forums that Linux will be supported at a later date…

Got one as well, will have to wait for the Linux version as well. It might be coming soon-ish, though, since they already added the Mac version.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The GOG Galaxy client is really starting to shape up. It's been updated pretty frequently in the last month or so, and it's to a point where it's actually usable. It's not perfect yet, of course, but I already like using it to manage all my stuff.

fyi indy & the fate of atlantis has been updated with the uncompressed audio - so dosbox would now be able to play it were you so inclined.

Fevaweva

GoG bros, I am going to pre-order The Witcher 3 after finally having enough spare cash to splurge on it...however the extra 5% discount I receive thanks to owning the other 2 games in The Witcher series on Gog isn't being taken off automatically.

Does it come off when I properly buy it or have I encountered a bug with the website?

ricki42

GoG bros, I am going to pre-order The Witcher 3 after finally having enough spare cash to splurge on it...however the extra 5% discount I receive thanks to owning the other 2 games in The Witcher series on Gog isn't being taken off automatically.

Does it come off when I properly buy it or have I encountered a bug with the website?

I just added it to my cart just to check, and it subtracts the discount automatically. On the main page the game is listed as $53.99 (-10%), as soon as it's in the cart it changes to $47.99 (-20%).

Tizoc

Can someone link me to where I can download the Galaxy client? I redeemed my code for it but I can't seem to find it >_>;

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Huh. GoG removed Fallout 1 from the web shelve but it's in the GoG Galaxy Client. WTF?

MrFortyFive

Big day for GOG. Their first two published titles and the start of the Galaxy beta. Glad to see Galaxy moving forward and I really hope that the emergence of GOG as a publisher can get some games out of limbo and back onto modern machines.

draetenth

It's kind of funny that GOG Galaxy beta starts today when I just received an invite for the alpha like two days ago. I'm happy that there is finally a way to handle all of the patching instead of constantly checking the account page and downloading new installers.

Danny Dudekisser

Anybody received the Beta install email yet?

They said the emails would go out in a few days. I'm in the alpha, and haven't had an update, so I guess we just have to wait a bit.

But I'm excited. GOG claims that this will help them support newer games with online components, and I really hope that it does help bring over some titles that might be blocked by the lack of multiplayer backbone.

In any case, though, it's just nice to have a client for my GOG games.

draetenth

I just hope the new client can entice some more publishers like Bethesda over. Fallout 3 needs some work to run on modern operating systems. If GOG could entice Bethesda and sell a Fallout 3 that doesn't need tinkering to work on Windows 7 or 8, that could be a big deal.

I wonder if Bethesda is still mad about GOG giving away the old Fallout games for free as a middle finger to Bethesda removing them.

Danny Dudekisser

I just hope the new client can entice some more publishers like Bethesda over. Fallout 3 needs some work to run on modern operating systems. If GOG could entice Bethesda and sell a Fallout 3 that doesn't need tinkering to work on Windows 7 or 8, that could be a big deal.

I wonder if Bethesda is still mad about GOG giving away the old Fallout games for free as a middle finger to Bethesda removing them.

Lol, I was wondering the same thing. Regardless of how obvious of a "fuck you" that was, though, I think Bethesda could get over it if GOG's able to offer them a viable new source of revenue.

Personally, I hope Galaxy makes it feasible for GOG to get stuff like Dark Souls 1 and 2.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm interested in what unusual/different features it offers vs the competition if anything. I didn't explore the alpha too much, but I noticed it will support rolling back to prior installs, which is nice occasionally. At least it will do auto-updating/achievements/playtime tracking, but it'll be neat to see what sort of options are implemented for installing custom games and so forth. Like if you add a bunch of mods to a game, can it backup that customized configuration correctly to save you the trouble of setting everything up the next time you install it, etc.

Danny Dudekisser

I'm interested in what unusual/different features it offers vs the competition if anything. I didn't explore the alpha too much, but I noticed it will support rolling back to prior installs, which is nice occasionally. At least it will do auto-updating/achievements/playtime tracking, but it'll be neat to see what sort of options are implemented for installing custom games and so forth. Like if you add a bunch of mods to a game, can it backup that customized configuration correctly to save you the trouble of setting everything up the next time you install it, etc.

Crossplay between GOG and Steam is the most interesting thing to me, at least. I'm not used to games playing nicely between ecosystems.

Dsyndrome

I've been on GOG a 1000 days since the end times
1666 days to be exact
. Looking forward to trying out the Beta way more than the Alpha to see the progress and such for myself. Just need that download email now!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Danny Dudekisser

I'd like to see the Elite Force games get re-released. Apart from those, though, I don't have any particular interest in Star Trek.

Clearly we need Star Trek: Borg, because Q.

Seconding Elite Force, though. Never did get Elite Force 2, which is a shame since it's more TNG-related (well, post-Nemesis IIRC) than Voyager-related, and I certainly like TNG more than Voyager. Still, Elite Force was awesome regardless of which show it was based on.

Maybe they'll go really obscure and shoot for that FPS MicroProse made based on Star Trek: Generations?

Clearly we need Star Trek: Borg, because Q.

Seconding Elite Force, though. Never did get Elite Force 2, which is a shame since it's more TNG-related (well, post-Nemesis IIRC) than Voyager-related, and I certainly like TNG more than Voyager. Still, Elite Force was awesome regardless of which show it was based on.

Maybe they'll go really obscure and shoot for that FPS MicroProse made based on Star Trek: Generations?

I'm hoping for "A Final Unity"

Danny Dudekisser

Oh man, I've always wanted to play Last Light. Absolutely buying that. Glad to see a genuinely interesting game coming out of that Deep Silver deal.

Also on the fence about Darksiders 1 and 2. Not sure if they're actually that good.

Top Bottom